Modem working but very slow.

thelash

Modem working but very slow.

#1 Post by thelash »

Have a lucent winmodem in my ibm t22 laptop that does not install with martian_dev modem, so installed rerwin's latest ltmodem pet (see forum http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=349241) in a full install of puppy 430 with 2.6.30.5 kernel. This gave me a modem on ttyS4 not ttySV0 as expected (also mentioned on same forum page as above). I am able to dial in and connect to my ISP, but everything loads at snail's pace - in fact to slow to be any use to me.
I don't know where to go with this, but have attached the pmodemdiag tarball if any one could help me.
This modem works great with the old ltmodem/ltserial combo on earlier kernels - I am online in special pup 431 with 2.6.25.16 kernel as I write.
BTW - modem strings as follows:
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Pupdial log indicated connect at 48000, but it sure isn't.

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

thelash,
I just now found your post, but it is past bedtime, so I must be brief. I see why you got ttyS4 when you probed in pupdial: the device entry for ttySV0 is identical to ttyS4! So the modem is seen.

Code: Select all

crw-r--r-- 1 root root   4,  68 May  7  2003 ttyS4
crw-rw---- 1 root root   4,  68 Feb 18  2010 ttySV0
(It's the "4, 68.")

You can try probe-ERASEing and rebooting, to see if ttySV0 is detected. I need to review the dotpets you installed, but can't until morning.

Primarily, I just want to acknowledge and thank you for posting this problem.
Richard

thelash

#3 Post by thelash »

Thanks for the reply rerwin. I've done what you said and now have modem at ttySV0. Unfortunately it's just as slow as on ttyS4.
Have attached the pmodemdiag tarball I ran when I was connected to the net using SV0. It took over 4 minutes to load my homepage - google.co.nz - whereas here (pup431 with kernel 2.6.25.15 on the old ltmodem), things are quite snappy in dialup terms.
Thanks again for your input, and hoping you can shed some light on this problem.

rerwin

#4 Post by rerwin »

thelash,
Thanks for the diag file. Sorry to take so long in getting to it. I reproduced your situation and get the same result. With ltmodem, I waited 6 minutes for www.msn.com to load, and it was not finished even then. With martian_dev, it took about a minute

With google, I found that some patches have been created, but I am not sure what they fix. I can try applying those to the ltmodem source and compiling, just not quite yet. Interestingly, there is an implication that similar parches might be made to martian(_dev). Beyond that, I have no competence to try fixing either driver.

Until I do the patching, we might look into why martian_dev doesn't seem to work for you. Could you use it until you can go no further, and then run pmodemdiag? Maybe there will be a clue. Thanks.
Richard

thelash

#5 Post by thelash »

Hi rerwin, thanks for your efforts on this one.
In terms of using martian_dev, all the 4 series pups I've tried have loaded it on first bootup (see it in lsmod), and pupdial has opened to say there's a modem at tty SM0. Next thing I get when I try to set it up is the 'sorry, no modem detected' message. It's then I've had to do erase and set bootup to give preference to ltmodem over martian_dev. So I've never been able to test the modem using martian_dev sorry.

MouseMan

#6 Post by MouseMan »

@rerwin

I've tested a Manhattan USB modem

http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US ... ations-tab

on a puppy431. The modem is the same reported by Leon here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 298#278298

Using PupDial with "Baud = 460800", the connection speed is very low. After modem handshake PupDial reports a mere "CONNECT 9600". Surfing the internet seems even worst than 9600bps :( .

A friend of mine told me to lower the baud-rate. Well, halving the baud-rate to 230400, PupDial reports a promising "CONNECT 230400" :shock: .

The browsing experience is by far better so, to test the connection, I tried to download the puppy431.iso. The speed rate stabilizes quickly to 5.3kBs with some drops to 4kBs and some peaks of more than 11kBs.

OK, it's not a scientific test but, aborting the download and restarting it, the modem behavior is almost the same, same drops and peaks and at the same download phases.

---

Surfing with "Baud = 230400" my USB Optical Mouse shows cursor position problems during USB modem traffic. Aiming at a link button in a browser page, I have to exaggerate the mouse movement to hover over the button. It's like I'm missing some mouse movement events through the USB bus.

The computer showing this problem is an Asus eeePC 701 netbook, I have no specs nor schematics but if I remember correctly, the 3 external USB ports are connected to a highspeed USB controller through an internal USB hub.
Using the PS/2 Touchpad embedded in the netbook, the cursor pointing experience is flawless.

May be that connecting both the modem and the mouse to an external active USB hub you can replicate the problem (using any fast mouse and any "fast" USB modem; probably even any serial port modem connected through a "fast" USB2RS232 converter. For "fast" I mean greater than 115200bps).

---

Using Cutecom (see in Puppy Package Manager, puppy-3, Utility package group, it needs qt-3.3.8 ), it seems that the USB Manhattan modem sports higher baud-rates, 576000 and 921600 to be precise.

Specifing /dev/ttyACM0 as Device in Cutecom and choosing CR as line end char, both the above speed rates work, you can reset, interrogate and call phone numbers using AT commands. The 921600 seems not so reliable, but the 576000 works rock solid like all the other slower baud rate supported by the modem.

Same experience with PupDial, forcing "baud = 576000" in wvdial.conf, computer and modem communicate very well. It's a pity that the modem refuses to establish a fast connection with the ISP at baud-rates greater than 230400.

Hope it helps,
Bob

rerwin

#7 Post by rerwin »

MouseMan,
Thanks for your report.
The computer showing this problem is an Asus eeePC 701 netbook,
I know there is a puplet project (by jemimah) to support eeePCs. I wonder if that might help with your performance issue.

I am not sure what to make of your reported experience. Does anything come to mind that I might consider implementing in modem support to address the problem? I does sound like the USB mouse and USB modem compete for the USB bus. Maybe the eeePC puplet deals with that.
Richard

sandy

Re: Modem working but very slow.

#8 Post by sandy »

thelash wrote:Have a lucent winmodem in my ibm t22 laptop that does not install with martian_dev modem, so installed rerwin's latest ltmodem pet (see forum http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=349241) in a full install of puppy 430 with 2.6.30.5 kernel. This gave me a modem on ttyS4 not ttySV0 as expected (also mentioned on same forum page as above). I am able to dial in and connect to my ISP, but everything loads at snail's pace - in fact to slow to be any use to me.
I don't know where to go with this, but have attached the pmodemdiag tarball if any one could help me.
This modem works great with the old ltmodem/ltserial combo on earlier kernels - I am online in special pup 431 with 2.6.25.16 kernel as I write.
BTW - modem strings as follows:
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Pupdial log indicated connect at 48000, but it sure isn't.
I have the same laptop and same modem with the problem.

have you been able to fix that problem?

EZ4arabs

#9 Post by EZ4arabs »

Its really a mind puzzling problem, detecting winmodems is a timeconsuming\complicated issue and more is to get it to dial but thanks to the
great \nonstop work of rerwin most if not all winmodems works and he managed to solve so many problems. but with ltmodem its a very strange problem when its detected and successfully connect to then find its speed almost unusable.?!!!!!
if you want your modem to work perfectly use any version that uses 2.6.18.1 kernel .
the only time I had that speed problem when years ago before I use puppy linux as my one and only OS was with another famous distro because the developer restricted the speed till you pay up to unlock it .
Good luck .