Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 23:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-510
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 9 [133 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
kirk

PostPosted: Mon 06 Dec 2010, 17:21    Post subject:  Fatdog64-510
Subject description: All 64 bit distro

Fatdog64-510 is out. Click the link below and then Latest to see the release notes:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fatdog/web/

Please check out the FAQs link for common questions.

Attached is a bug fix pet package which fixes:

puppyinstaller --- bug when doing full install.
xine.sh --- bug when opening files with spaces.
dhcpcd.conf --- bug when connecting to some dhcp servers.
510-fixes.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  510-fixes.pet 
Filesize  21.25 KB 
Downloaded  697 Time(s) 

Last edited by kirk on Tue 14 Dec 2010, 10:14; edited 2 times in total
TSK

PostPosted: Mon 06 Dec 2010, 20:06    Post subject: Installing from Windows 7  

Hi,

How I can install FatDog64 from Windows 7?

I can´t get boot from USB to work, I have tried with Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.1.5 with no success.

I´am a Windows user and noobie with Linux, but this OS seems very interesting for my 5820tg Acer Aspire laptop.

Can I play 720p .mkv files with FatDog64?

Thanks

edit. Can I do this without need to burn cd, with usb-stick?
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2010, 00:03    Post subject:  

TSK,

Use this http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to install the Fatdog64 to USB.

Once you have done that, use Explorer to go to the USB drive, and use notepad to edit this file: syslinux.cfg. Look into the lines that has the word
Code:
pmedia=cd
and change that to
Code:
pmedia=usbflash

You should be good to go.

720p MKV files should be playable if you install mplayer PET from the package manager.

cheers!

Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2010, 11:39    Post subject: Fatdog64  

I'm running 510 live with a save file.
The new boot parameter that starts up in vesa worked good and allowed
me to download and install the ati pet so no black screen.

I installed the devx and compiled Midnight Commander,then made the pet.
It's a filemanger similar to Norton Commander.

slang-2.2.2-i686.pet is needed too.

That's it so far.
mc-4.7.0.10-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  mc-4.7.0.10-i686.pet 
Filesize  911.27 KB 
Downloaded  718 Time(s) 
mc_DOC-4.7.0.10-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  mc_DOC-4.7.0.10-i686.pet 
Filesize  295.99 KB 
Downloaded  635 Time(s) 
mc_NLS-4.7.0.10-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  mc_NLS-4.7.0.10-i686.pet 
Filesize  877.97 KB 
Downloaded  729 Time(s) 
slang-2.2.2-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  slang-2.2.2-i686.pet 
Filesize  794.65 KB 
Downloaded  725 Time(s) 
kirk

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2010, 14:47    Post subject:  

That's good to hear Bill. TSK, for usb flash I usually use Gparted to erase the current partition, then create a new vfat or ext4 partition and set the boot flag (manage flags). Then I use the universal installer. Some usb flash can be a pain though. MKV files are containers for audio and video codecs, so it depends on what codecs are used and if Fatdog64 has support for them. I use Handbrake to create mkv files with ac3 audio and h264 video. Xine plays it back fine.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2010, 20:08    Post subject: Fatdog64
Subject description: bootflash problem

I installed fd510 to a flash drive using bootflash (in luci 242) and
it booted to the desktop but if I want to reboot and create a save
file it goes to a black screen and I'm stuck at that point.

The next bootup it went to the desktop and I downloaded and installed
the ati pet and was instructed to reboot (that won't work) but I found
that selecting "Restart X server" worked and when I went to reboot I
could see the prompts for creating the save file.

So I could have done it without the new vesa boot parameter on my live
cd install but you don't even get the opportunity to use it on a flash drive
install.

Bootflash isn't working, what it does is delete the partition on the
flash drive and then doesn't format it, then gives an error that it
can't mount the drive. I tried on two computers and got the same
result.

Fatdog 510 is the first linux that can see and use the builtin
wireless adaptor on this desktop:

02:00.0 Network controller: RaLink Device 3090

Here's nano, I don't see it in the repo.

edit: Here's htop as well.

edit: I've changed the htop pet, I'm not sure it would start from the puppy menu but the new one will.
htop-0.9-x86_64.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  htop-0.9-x86_64.pet 
Filesize  55.02 KB 
Downloaded  642 Time(s) 
nano-2.2.6-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  nano-2.2.6-i686.pet 
Filesize  120.49 KB 
Downloaded  666 Time(s) 
nano_DOC-2.2.6-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  nano_DOC-2.2.6-i686.pet 
Filesize  24.97 KB 
Downloaded  624 Time(s) 
nano_NLS-2.2.6-i686.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  nano_NLS-2.2.6-i686.pet 
Filesize  356.5 KB 
Downloaded  636 Time(s) 

Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 10 Dec 2010, 10:40; edited 2 times in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec 2010, 20:35    Post subject:  

You know Lucid developement will end someday and then I will have time to play with a 64-bit Puppy! Thanks for Fatdog.
WillM

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 00:40    Post subject:  

Quick. Call 911 Fatdog64 is on fire!
No, seriously, thank you james and kirk for this robost operating system.
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 06:21    Post subject:  

Nice one, Kirk.
Couple of housekeeping items: FD0 icon overlaps PWireless icon; typo in HandBrake panel 'fine' = 'find'. Prefer Claws to Sylpheed, or better Eudora OSE1. Could think more seriously about Opera 11beta which is fantastic. All recent Puppies& most decent distros use auto connecting DHP these days!
Will examine in more detail later. More or less abandoned 64bit distros except yours due to problems with Flash & co.
Tui

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 07:25    Post subject: Problems with this one !  

I did all the standard things with download and ISO burn,
but with this version 64-510 it won't detect my network
also I can't get my res up to 1024x768, it looks to be
stuck on 800x600.

I got 4 other versions of puppy on this machine, all ok for res
and network connection

I have not done a checksum on this d/l to compare
with yours.

Where should I start to look for the problem ?

Cheers Guys
WB7ODYFred

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 14:13    Post subject: Advantages of 64-bit FatDog Puppy over 32-bit Puppy Distros?
Subject description: Could manager update "What's New in FatDog-64" document

Hello and fine job on creating FatDog-64bit Puppy from T2 sources.

Coud you update "What's New in FatDog-64" document adding a short line or paragraph on the advantages you see in a 64-bit FatDog Linux operating system over a standard 32-bit Puppy Linux. Lots of new people will read your release document latest.html. I know the answer is probably plainly obvious to present users, but I did not know and wished that it was plainly written out so I could make a decision before downloading and installing FatDog-64 to a freshly created Hard Disk ext3 partition (you recommend which disk format?). Thanks for your hard work in creating a fine 64-bit O/S Puppy Linux release. 187 Megabytes is a good size .ISO, too. Still plenty of room (another 400+ megabytes) to add more programs, extra .SFS file, and other documents.
Any negative aspects to having/running a 64-bit O/S? Nice to document the downside too. ie you will not be able to use XYZ program because only 32-bit
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fatdog/web/latest.html

WB7ODYFred at yahoo dot com

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all Linux users everywhere.
Very Happy
Tui

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 21:43    Post subject: A bit sad with this one!  

I have done a md5sum on my d/l file and it checks out
with that in the repos - so what next should I be checking?

I can't move on until this one is solved !

Tui
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Dec 2010, 23:03    Post subject: Re: Advantages of 64-bit FatDog Puppy over 32-bit Puppy Distros?
Subject description: Could manager update "What's New in FatDog-64" document

WB7ODYFred wrote:
Hello and fine job on creating FatDog-64bit Puppy from T2 sources. ...I know the answer is probably plainly obvious to present users, but I did not know and wished that it was plainly written out so I could make a decision before downloading ...
187 Megabytes is a good size .ISO, too. Still plenty of room (another 400+ megabytes) to add more programs, extra .SFS file, and other documents.
Any negative aspects ... ie you will not be able to use XYZ program because only 32-bit ...
I'll leave the official answers to the authors, but, here's a simple answer for you. If you have purchased a new PC in the last 6 years, you probably got a 64bit processor (true for all AMDs and many many Intels, too). Also, your purchase of a 64bit PC came minimally with at least 1GB of memory or more.
  • So, for starters, this Puppy derivative will ONLY RUN on your 64bit PC(s).

• Next, the 64bit machines have chipsets and processor ability that is beyond what 32bit machines have. FATDOG takes advantage of those abilities.

• Next, your 64bit PC came with a DVD reader-writer which should read the LiveCD (or DVD if you burned one) faster than your old CDroms could (all of mine do). So, if you're like me, there has NOT been a requirement for me to install in either frugal mode or in full mode. This distro just runs right out of the box. As you indicate with your comments on 186MB on the iso, you might expect that Kirk and others in the future will make fatdog a FATDOG by adding useful services to allow it to match or exceed Windows7 64 bit, without any hint at loss of speed or operations. (All LiveDVDs that I have tested thus far are fast, and stable)

• You SHOULD expect a much more responsive system because of the ability of these systems, when running with a 64bit OS, are capable of "drinking 64bits at a time with each swallow" versus the older 32bit systems.

• More and more applications are showing up in the 64bit arena now that so many people are running OSs on them. And, the OSs memory model is expanded to allow the systems to blow information thru the machine than was capable before (this is true for Microsoft as well as Linux/Unix).

• FATDOG64 is currently the ONLY PUPPY that is built from the ground-up as a 64bit system.
I hope this helps with a little better understanding of some of the benefits. There are so many others, but that gets "way more technical" than I'm providing here.

Again, this is NOT intended in any way to be an official document, but it attempts to get you started. Go for it.

And, Kudos to Kirk, captain.
"The Enterprise has undocked from the Space Station"
A holiday achievement!

Sage

PostPosted: Thu 09 Dec 2010, 03:44    Post subject:  

gcmartin may have been poorly advised? As I intimated above and spelled out a year or so back, the alleged advantages of 64bit computers for domestic users are over-sold and illusory according to an industry guru that I consult from time to time.
As for improve 'speed', the goal of so many uninitiated (choosing the kindest description I can think of) go-fastest kiddies, many located in that bastion of capitalism where rational argument is absent, it simply isn't there for so many reasons, not least lots of important apps aren't available in 64bit; most others masquerading as 64bit are just ported from 32bit and run at more or less the same 'speed' as 32bit. Speed is a poor yardstick for the bit resolution of cpu s. According to my sources, coders would be better deployed forming teams to take on the more considerable but more worthwhile challenges of writing in assembler, although even that is highly contentious. My advisors want to tell me a lot more about the present nonsense in the 32/64bit arena, but I'm afraid I don't understand most of it.
As for Kirk and Fatdog - it's certainly a lot of fun and nothing is lost by using it on 64bit enabled HW. In the lab., 128bit has already become established.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 09 Dec 2010, 05:08    Post subject: Yeah, your Guru has a point  

Sage wrote:
gcmartin may have been poorly advised? As I intimated above and spelled out a year or so back, the alleged advantages of 64bit computers for domestic users are over-sold and illusory according to an industry guru that I consult from time to time.
As for improve 'speed', the goal of so many uninitiated (choosing the kindest description I can think of) go-fastest kiddies, many located in that bastion of capitalism where rational argument is absent, it simply isn't there for so many reasons, not least lots of important apps aren't available in 64bit; most others masquerading as 64bit are just ported from 32bit and run at more or less the same 'speed' as 32bit. Speed is a poor yardstick for the bit resolution of cpu s. According to my sources, coders would be better deployed forming teams to take on the more considerable but more worthwhile challenges of writing in assembler, although even that is highly contentious. My advisors want to tell me a lot more about the present nonsense in the 32/64bit arena, but I'm afraid I don't understand most of it.
As for Kirk and Fatdog - it's certainly a lot of fun and nothing is lost by using it on 64bit enabled HW. In the lab., 128bit has already become established.
No offense to anyone here or there. This is the same rationale that was given when we when from 8bit, then again to 16bit, then again to 32bit, and here again at 64bit. I've seen this argument in EBCDIC and ASCII machines; Mainframes, minis and micros. Dont know your Guru, but I been measuring for over 38 years with some very very large corps; during which I modeled many (and I still dont regard myself as any Guru). 64bit DOES offer advantages...sorry to say. Please understand that I do not mean this in any "mean-spirited" way. I only offer some historical movement we all have seen and benefited from, whether we like it or not.

FATDOG64 does help the Puppy community for his efforts to exploit current PCs and other devices we see coming into the marketplace. He has nothing to prove except that this becomes a stable product. From what I've seen so far, this is true; at least for me so far. Given the Architecture, the horsepower, and the memory; all we need is storage...then OS exploits, developers, etc. and we are the world. (ha-ha)

Anyway, Happy Holidays to everyone of us Puppy users.

Page 1 of 9 [133 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: