How About a sound wizard

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
wscarl

How About a sound wizard

#1 Post by wscarl »

over haft the system I installed puppy on the sound did not work and without a list, modprobe **** is ify at best :cry:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

From when I first got interested in Linux, it's been a puzzle to me why modems and sound cards (which by the way seem to have a lot in common) work fine in Windows yet Linux seems always to have a lot of trouble with them.

Dial-up modems have been around since the stone age, in computer time, yet they are always iffy in Linux. That just seems wrong somehow.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. Sorry. :?

klhrevolutionist

Great idea

#3 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I think you should promote the idea to others to get it in 1.4 maybe but pups have to want it otherwise it is just a good thought

#4 Post by Guest »

The situation is this.....

I have a running slackware install running a puppy kernel, the same machine I use to compile drivers for puppy.....

Also I have compiled the alsa suite (from slackware 10.0) to work with that kernel....

Now it could be made as a dotpup but the driver locations could be a problem

It would mean copy them to /li/modules/2.4.27 during rc.local and updating the module dependencies during boot...I pain

Or mean creating a link in /lib/modules/2.4.27 to point to the alsa modules and doing an update.........

Or I could make a new iso (I think it's about time) incorporating those modules and the utilities and once I hear how the i810 gfx driver goes with that as well......Tho this may bump the size up to about 70meg...

Or include the modules in the initial ramdisk image (image.gz) and the utilites could be made available as a dotpup....

Anyone up for any sugestions ?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

you should be able to use unionfs to link /lib and /root/.lib, so that anything written to /lib will actually be written to /root/.lib ... /root/.lib still has to be setup somewhere in the init process, of course

#6 Post by Guest »

Oh yeah.....dumb me

Anyways the update is I'm having issues with card recognition under puppy, works fine under slackware but won't recognise the card on the same machine running puppy...

Some investigation of the script is required.

This damn Puppy is taking over my life...hahahahahahahaha