Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 16:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 130 of 210 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, ..., 208, 209, 210 Next
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 14:07    Post_subject: 240: another National Language issue.  

240: another National Language issue.

At the configuration of my locale, nl_BE, I ticked the UTF button as recommended.

But when I had installed CPUtemp I got a wrong display (see pic)
I un-ticked the UTF button and the values where correct.
But in both cases I have messages when I execute in a console.
Code:
######### locale nl_BE and utf ##########
# CPUtemp
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor: No such file or directory
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq: No such file or directory
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
#

######### locale nl_BE no utf #########
# CPUtemp
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor: No such file or directory
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq: No such file or directory
Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
#
cputemp-utf.png
 Description   utf in nl_BE locale
 Filesize   6.55 KB
 Viewed   847 Time(s)

cputemp-utf.png

cputemp-no-utf.png
 Description   no utf in nl_BE locale
 Filesize   6.06 KB
 Viewed   840 Time(s)

cputemp-no-utf.png

Use peppyy's puppysearch
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 14:18    Post_subject:  

Quote:

At the configuration of my locale, nl_BE, I ticked the UTF button as recommended.

My fault Béèm, I think. Where did you install CPU-Temp from? We think that Menu -> System -> CPU Frequency Scaling Tool will be reliable for all computers. Could you try that and see if it works for you? You may have to choose Remove and reboot to get a fresh start. Thank you.

Edited_time_total
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 14:22    Post_subject:  

Quote:
add Pwireless2

cthisbear, We added it and it seemed there were conflicts. Is it that hard to download from Puppy Package Manager?
abushcrafter

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 14:53    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
I guess the question remains whether xvidtune is compatible with lupu's way of doing things as any changes it makes can't be made permanent? If it doesn't work should it be there? Is there another way to do display tweaks in lupu?

Yes, if you run xorgwizard, then there will be a standard xorg.conf that xvidtune should be able to work with.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compression.
It is frustrating in my experience to have to search for decompression programs. I agree it would be good to have them in the iso. We have Rar-full in PPM, but now we will have unrar in the iso.

Are there similar programs for 7z and xz? Un-7z and un-xz? That way we could put the full program in PPM for those who needed to use it to compress, and we could have the un-7z and un-xz in the iso for those who need only to decompress.

And what's up with 'ace' and 'arj'?
I have links in my "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Improving The Wrappers From Xarchive" post. For XZ I use the PET named "xz-4.999.9beta-i486.pet" SHA1Sum="b0b7a581429d3f862665cb06b2ad1f9cda783970". For others I nick them from Peazip.
Jades

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 14:56    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
add Pwireless2

cthisbear, We added it and it seemed there were conflicts. Is it that hard to download from Puppy Package Manager?

Downloading it from PPM kind of assumes that you have a working internet connection from wherever your PC is located. If your wireless connection needs Pwireless to work... Wink

On the rare occasions that I want to install something from the internet on Zhaan that I can't just download on Merlin and transfer using a USB key I have to physically carry the machine into the study and plug it into the router! While the Netgear WN111v2 dongle works fine with Merlin, it doesn't with Zhaan even with Pwireless. Haven't figured out what the problem is caused by yet could just be the computer's too old.

Iguleder

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 15:09    Post_subject:  

playdayz, you should replace lzma-tools with xz-utils and take a look at the libraries - many libraries are there for nothing.

Also - some libraries also have command-line utilities or "something-common" packages that are distributed with them - in some cases, those are not needed and they waste precious space. libsndfile and flac are examples.

Oh, and one last thing - have you tried to strip the kernel modules? I stripped a 2.6.35.9 and its size went down by ~5 MB. Now the kernel PET is 19 MB, tiny. I used "--strip-debug" because "--strip-all" causes scary warnings when the kernel boots.

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 15:18    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:

My fault Béèm, I think. Where did you install CPU-Temp from? We think that Menu -> System -> CPU Frequency Scaling Tool will be reliable for all computers. Could you try that and see if it works for you? You may have to choose Remove and reboot to get a fresh start. Thank you.
It is rcrsn51's pet.
Being in OpenBox, I don't have the little sun in the tray.
So if I understand well I run the freq scaling, I uninstall CPUtemp and reboot.
While setting up fres scaling, I got a warning that my bios was too old, but I could continue.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 15:43    Post_subject:  

Quote:

Downloading it from PPM kind of assumes that you have a working internet connection from wherever your PC is located. If your wireless connection needs Pwireless to work.

Yes, but my impression was that he could connect but not with the level of encryption he preferred.
Béèm

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 15:46    Post_subject:  

Béèm wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Quote:

It is rcrsn51's pet.
Being in OpenBox, I don't have the little sun in the tray.
So if I understand well I run the freq scaling, I uninstall CPUtemp and reboot.
While setting up fres scaling, I got a warning that my bios was too old, but I could continue.
So freq scaling is active now, but I still have the wrong display for the temp when UTF is ticked and a message when UTF is not ticked.
Code:
# CPUtemp
#

# CPUtemp
#

Use peppyy's puppysearch
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 15:52    Post_subject:  

Quote:
So freq scaling is active now, but I still have the wrong display for the temp when UTF is ticked and a message when UTF is not ticked.
Code:
# CPUtemp
#

# CPUtemp
#

I see, Beem. It is not the freq scaling program but the one that reads temperatures. Shinobar has asked for comment about whether UTF-8 by default is a good idea or not.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 16:05    Post_subject:  

I suspect that Beem's problem with CPUtemp comes from xmessage, which produces the pop-up window. It may not be able to deal with locale issues.
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 16:07    Post_subject:  

I have collected all of the pet packages ttuuxxx has created for Lucid and now I am stuck. How can I combine all of those pets into one folder to make into an sfs. I need to take the /usr/, /bin, and so forth folders out of the pet and combine them all into single /usr, /bin. etc. folders. Like making one giant pet out of them. I can see how to do it one by one.
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 16:09    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
I suspect that Beem's problem with CPUtemp comes from xmessage, which produces the pop-up window. It may not be able to deal with locale issues.

So maybe a different way to read the temps? What does Menu -> System -> hardinfo show under Sensors? I get nothing unfortunately, but some people get resutls.
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 16:22    Post_subject:  

ttuuxxx, You made that Ogle look good enough and small enough that it would be possible to include in the iso. *Except* the full screen does not work in Openbox. It does work in jwm--my guess is because they both use some older method. Is there any chance you can get the full screen to work in Openbox? Or maybe someone knows what I am doing wrong.
Béèm

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 16:38    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:

So maybe a different way to read the temps? What does Menu -> System -> hardinfo show under Sensors? I get nothing unfortunately, but some people get results.
If it is as rcrsn51 suspects and if puppy's are made from the same woof, the problem could be in other puppy's as well.
I tested squeeze 009 and have the same issue.
I tested fluppy 8 and I don't have the issue, neither in UTF nor in no-UTF.
I tried HW info sensors and in both cases the display is correct
Code:
-Cooling Fans-
fan1      : 0RPM
-Temperatures-
temp1      : 50.00°C
temp2      : 49.00°C
temp3      : 0.00°C
temp4      : 0.00°C
temp5      : 0.00°C
temp6      : 0.00°C
temp7      : 0.00°C
temp8      : 0.00°C
-Voltage Values-
-ACPI Thermal Zone-
THM0      : 50°C

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 130 of 210 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, ..., 208, 209, 210 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum