Quirky 1.4 bug reports and feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
henery

#41 Post by henery »

New to Quirky / Puppy / Woof. Decided to check this out after reading the release announcement on DistroWatch. Love it so far!

Detected all hardware on first boot. Wasn't hard at all to figure out how to get nvidia working.

Audio works, video works, pretty much everything works. (The KDE Trinity .sfs does not, though.)

Successfully loaded Skype during first session by downloading from Skype's site, using tar and install. I was able to connect using text, but audio wasn't working (didn't try video). Rebooted, Skype wouldn't load. Found the Skype .sfs on the forums, deleted the old Skype files, downloaded .sfs, put it into the Boot Manager, rebooted. Now I see it in the menu bar, but it won't load at all. Will work on it some more tomorrow.

Quirky is exactly what I need, if I can get Skype to work so I can talk to my family while I fool with a fresh Gentoo or LSF install on my hard drives. If I mess up the install (again), I figure I'll still be able to pop the disk in and talk to them when they want without having to install Mint to the hard drive just to use Skype.

But the more I read about Puppy and Woof, I may abandon the plan to build from source using Gentoo and instead try it using Woof.

Thanks for a great project!

tlchost

Sound

#42 Post by tlchost »

This version of Quirky dutifiy reports that it can't see my onboard sound card(chip).

What files should I copy from Quiry 1,2, which does detect the chip to be able to use Quirky 1,4?

Thanks
Thom

pakt

#43 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote:
pakt wrote:Barry, the ‘FONTMAP’ problem in rc.country remains in quirky-140.
I am running Quirky 1.4 right now. I just checked /etc/fontmap, it is empty, as it should be.
I don't know what happened because it has worked in my last two tests, but during the first test fontmap wasn't empty (I just checked). I didn't explicitly boot with pfix=ram but used this entry in GRUB2:

Code: Select all

menuentry "quirky-1.4 26nov10 (on /dev/sda8)" {
    insmod ext2
	set root='(hd0,8)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set dc252aad-49ae-46c3-93cf-762d911a231b
	echo	'Loading quirky 1.4 ...'
	linux	/quirky140/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda8 psubdir=quirky140
	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
	initrd	/quirky140/initrd.gz
}
I do remember answering the keyboard, locale and tz questions, so it couldn't have picked up an old save file. Anyway, it works now. :roll:
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

pakt

#44 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote:Hmmm, perhaps this needs to be clarified in the Video Upgrade Wizard. If you upgrade the Intel video driver, you do NOT use mesa 6.5.2.
The wizard does suggest installing 'the DRI (mesa)' package first (but un-clear as to what package is referred to and no clear instruction on how to obtain or install it).
BarryK wrote: If you do need the rest of the mesa package, the Wizard explains to install 'xorg_upgrade_dri_extra-7.8.2' -- see the two buttons at bottom of window.
I did look at the two buttons at bottom of window but the first was concerned with compiling (no mention of 'DRI'). And the second button mentioned 'DRI' in connection with 'non-Intel' hardware only.

Here's the wizard menu for my Intel chip:
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

nubc

#45 Post by nubc »

Seamonkey's Navigation Toolbar is has unusual and unnecessary height. Maybe an eighth inch excess on a 17-inch screen. Can't think of a reason this extra height would be beneficial.

DaveS

#46 Post by DaveS »

nubc wrote:Seamonkey's Navigation Toolbar is has unusual and unnecessary height. Maybe an eighth inch excess on a 17-inch screen. Can't think of a reason this extra height would be beneficial.
Right click on one of the icons (back forwar button etc) and from the pop-up select 'customise'
In the pop-up panel, select 'use small icons', located bottom/centre on panel.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#47 Post by BarryK »

bigpup wrote:Found a wallpaper for Quirky.
Ha ha, yeah that is great! Good if we could get rid of the signature on it -- with due respect to any copyright requirement.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

DaveS

#48 Post by DaveS »

nubc wrote:Seamonkey's Navigation Toolbar is has unusual and unnecessary height. Maybe an eighth inch excess on a 17-inch screen. Can't think of a reason this extra height would be beneficial.
Also install and use Compact Menu 2 https://github.com/Milly/compact_menu_2

and add this code to /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/blahblahdefault/chrome/userchrome.css

.tabbrowser-strip {
  padding-bottom: 0px !important;
  padding-top: 0px !important;
  border-bottom: 0px !important;
  }

tab {
  padding: 0px 3px !important;
}

.tabbrowser-tabs {
  padding-top: 0px !important;
}
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#49 Post by BarryK »

pakt wrote:
BarryK wrote:Hmmm, perhaps this needs to be clarified in the Video Upgrade Wizard. If you upgrade the Intel video driver, you do NOT use mesa 6.5.2.
The wizard does suggest installing 'the DRI (mesa)' package first (but un-clear as to what package is referred to and no clear instruction on how to obtain or install it).
BarryK wrote: If you do need the rest of the mesa package, the Wizard explains to install 'xorg_upgrade_dri_extra-7.8.2' -- see the two buttons at bottom of window.
I did look at the two buttons at bottom of window but the first was concerned with compiling (no mention of 'DRI'). And the second button mentioned 'DRI' in connection with 'non-Intel' hardware only.

Here's the wizard menu for my Intel chip:
I have fixed the Wizard, announced on my blog, so it should be ok for the next Wary.

nubc

#50 Post by nubc »

Ya, that changes the Navigation Toolbar height. Can you tell me how to get rid of the Print icon on the Navigation Toolbar. I like an uncluttered toolbar on my browser.

DaveS

#51 Post by DaveS »

nubc wrote:Ya, that changes the Navigation Toolbar height. Can you tell me how to get rid of the Print icon on the Navigation Toolbar. I like an uncluttered toolbar on my browser.
Start a new thread please, 'Seamonkey Questions' or somesuch....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rerwin

Concerns about light-weight module loading

#52 Post by rerwin »

I have verified that my intel536 and HSF modems work under Quirky 1.4, but see in the backend_modprobe (etc.) revision some areas of concern that compromise its effectiveness.

1. Rc.services: Although rc.services waits until the ALSA sound support is ready, it does not verify that firmware processing and usb_modeswitching are complete. That is easily remedied by adding a wait loop that tests for the absence of /pinstall.*.sh scripts (the firmware processing) and usb_modeswitch processes in operation. Assuming a loop counter is used, a message should be logged if the count is exhausted, indicating a potential bug somewhere.

2. Allusbserial/Cdcacm: Because the standard usb_modeswitch dispatch script uses modprobe directly to load modem drivers, bypassing the backend_modprobe processing of firmware tarballs, the related initialization script may not get placed into /etc/init.d for execution by rc.services to detect USB modems. I suggest making init scripts related to drivers that usb_modeswitch might load be removed from firmware tarballs and placed permanently in /etc/init.d. Currently, that would be Allusbserial and Cdcacm, which probably should be renamed to begin with a 2-digit number.

3. Backend_modprobe (1): The logic to ensure that a module is processed (re ALSA and firmware) only once is as flawed as it was before I provided the "protect" function. Although the data is stored differently -- in multiple files instead of a single list -- the vulnerability itself is not resolved. A test is made for the module having been processed already, then (if not) the processing is done, then the indication is made that the module is processed. But multiple processes/threads/cores/CPUs processing events for the same module could execute that logic simultaneously, with each thinking it is the first process for that module! Ideally, the "processed" indication and the test for a previous such indicator should be done in the same command, possibly sed or awk (and in-place). If not possible, at least the setting of the indicator should be done before the test for previous indicators, with a way to determine which process's indicator was first.

4. Backend_modprobe (2): The firmware-loaded test uses the module name as the indication that its firmware is loaded, whereas previously the tarball name was used. Multiple modules can use the same tarball, so the tarball name is what would prevent duplicate processing. If module-duplication is corrected (#3 above) the module name would be seen only once by the firmware function, so its use is redundant. Even using the tarball name, the list maintenance needs treatment similar to that for modules -- update first or simultaneously, then test for being the first such entry.

5. Backend_modprobe (3): Required special treatment of some hybrid devices (cdrom-modem) is missing. (This could account for muggins' need to manually modprobe the option driver.) These devices have two modaliases, only one of which gets detected by backend_modprobe. Since the usb-storage modalias is near the end of the modules.alias file and does not filter by interface class, it is the one detected, so the modem driver gets missed altogether, unless usb_modeswitch loads it (which is not always the case, since usb-storage sometimes does the mode-switch). I suggest, following the initial modprobe of the modalias, to try temporarily blacklisting usb-storage and re-modprobing to find the alternative (e.g., modem) if there is one. This assumes usb-storage is always already loaded by rc.sysinit or earlier, so never needs further modprobing.

alias usb:v12D1p140Cd*dc*dsc*dp*icFFiscFFipFF* option
alias usb:v12D1p140Cd0000dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* usb-storage
Richard

artifus

#53 Post by artifus »

BarryK wrote:
bigpup wrote:Found a wallpaper for Quirky.
Ha ha, yeah that is great! Good if we could get rid of the signature on it -- with due respect to any copyright requirement.
Attachments
ws_sweeeet_chiwawa_1280x1024.jpg
(158.71 KiB) Downloaded 587 times

aragon

#54 Post by aragon »

i've found that bug in insidous but i think it's woof-related so i'm posting it here:

xlock fails to run if $LANG is not en_US or fr_FR because the other language files are missing.

the fix is simple (i think)

/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun
change line 28 from

. $APPDIR/locale/${LANGUAGE}.po 2> /dev/null
to

if [ -e $APPDIR/locale/${LANGUAGE}.po ];then
. $APPDIR/locale/${LANGUAGE}.po 2> /dev/null
fi
aragon

BarryK
Puppy Master

#55 Post by BarryK »

If anyone wants the upgraded PPM, as I announced on my blog:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02008

Files attached. These need to be gunzipped and placed in /usr/local/petget.
Attachments
pkg_chooser.sh.gz
(4.16 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
help.htm.gz
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
findnames.sh.gz
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
filterpkgs.sh.gz
(2.42 KiB) Downloaded 494 times

Bert

#56 Post by Bert »

Barry, I was feeling adventurous and placed the 4 files in Insidious Puppy's PPM.

Now PPM doesn't open any longer.
Just reporting. It's probably a logical conflict between Quirky 1.4 and Inpu.

Bert
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#57 Post by BarryK »

Bert wrote:Barry, I was feeling adventurous and placed the 4 files in Insidious Puppy's PPM.

Bert
Try running this in a terminal window:

# /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh

...see if any error msgs.

Billtoo

#58 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote:
Bert wrote:Barry, I was feeling adventurous and placed the 4 files in Insidious Puppy's PPM.

Bert
Try running this in a terminal window:

...see if any error msgs.
I did the same as Bert

bash: /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh: Permission denied
#

PaulBx1

#59 Post by PaulBx1 »

I downloaded and extracted them, and changed permissions to the same as the original files had.

The help button certainly would have helped me earlier. Clears up some questions I had. I was able to find lots of packages having to do with vpn, now that I know how to use it! :oops:

BTW that help file has this:
When a package is installed, it appears in the window bottom-left.
Perhaps you mean, bottom-right...

It didn't look like you changed anything else. For example I was thinking the main package list might be stretchable like the installed packages list, but it's not. I also don't see the "ALL" category like you showed on your blog. Perhaps it is underneath the "Show" checkboxes? I made the assumption it would work in Lupu 511, hope that's right. I think I got the files over properly; at least the loaded size is a bit larger than the originals.

Also just noticed that I have double entries in my installed package list (in this case for Seamonkey and openvpn_2.1.0); not sure how they got there but maybe this calls for a check before another entry is added to the list:

# cat user-installed-packages 
Seamonkey-2.0.9-Lucid|Seamonkey|2.0.9-Lucid||Document|44104K|pet-packages-lucid|Seamonkey-2.0.9-Lucid.pet||SeaMonkey Composer html editor|ubuntu|lucid||
Seamonkey-2.0.9-Lucid|Seamonkey|2.0.9-Lucid||Document|44104K|pet-packages-lucid|Seamonkey-2.0.9-Lucid.pet||SeaMonkey Composer html editor|ubuntu|lucid||
liblocale-gettext-perl_1.05-6|liblocale-gettext-perl|1.05-6||BuildingBlock|108K|pool/main/libl/liblocale-gettext-perl|liblocale-gettext-perl_1.05-6_i386.deb|+libc6|Using libc functions for internationalization in Perl|
libpkcs11-helper1_1.07-1build1|libpkcs11-helper1|1.07-1build1||BuildingBlock|176K|pool/main/p/pkcs11-helper|libpkcs11-helper1_1.07-1build1_i386.deb|+libc6,+libssl0.9.8|library that simplifies the interaction with PKCS#11|
libtext-charwidth-perl_0.04-6|libtext-charwidth-perl|0.04-6||BuildingBlock|92K|pool/main/libt/libtext-charwidth-perl|libtext-charwidth-perl_0.04-6_i386.deb|+libc6,+perl-base,+perlapi-5.10.0|get display widths of characters on the terminal|
libtext-iconv-perl_1.7-2|libtext-iconv-perl|1.7-2||BuildingBlock|108K|pool/main/libt/libtext-iconv-perl|libtext-iconv-perl_1.7-2_i386.deb|+libc6,+perl-base,+perlapi-5.10.0|converts between character sets in Perl|
libtext-wrapi18n-perl_0.06-7|libtext-wrapi18n-perl|0.06-7||BuildingBlock|68K|pool/main/libt/libtext-wrapi18n-perl|libtext-wrapi18n-perl_0.06-7_all.deb|+libtext-charwidth-perl|internationalized substitute of Text::Wrap|
openssl-blacklist_0.5-2|openssl-blacklist|0.5-2||BuildingBlock|12240K|pool/main/o/openssl-blacklist|openssl-blacklist_0.5-2_all.deb|+python,+openssl|list of blacklisted OpenSSL RSA keys|
openvpn-blacklist_0.4|openvpn-blacklist|0.4||BuildingBlock|2100K|pool/main/o/openvpn-blacklist|openvpn-blacklist_0.4_all.deb|+python|list of blacklisted OpenVPN RSA shared keys|
openvpn_2.1.0|openvpn|2.1.0|1ubuntu1|Network|1196K|pool/main/o/openvpn|openvpn_2.1.0-1ubuntu1_i386.deb|+debconf,+libc6,+liblzo2-2,+libpam0g,+libpkcs11-helper1,+libssl0.9.8,+openssl-blacklist,+openvpn-blacklist,+net-tools,+lsb-base|virtual private network daemon|
debconf_1.5.28ubuntu4|debconf|1.5.28ubuntu4||System|924K|pool/main/d/debconf|debconf_1.5.28ubuntu4_all.deb|+debconf-i18n|Debian configuration management system|
openvpn_2.1.0|openvpn|2.1.0|1ubuntu1|Network|1196K|pool/main/o/openvpn|openvpn_2.1.0-1ubuntu1_i386.deb|+debconf,+libc6,+liblzo2-2,+libpam0g,+libpkcs11-helper1,+libssl0.9.8,+openssl-blacklist,+openvpn-blacklist,+net-tools,+lsb-base|virtual private network daemon|
# 

Karl Godt

#60 Post by Karl Godt »

bash: /usr/local/petget/pkg_chooser.sh: Permission denied
chmod FILE

1 executeable
2 write
4 read
...........user | group | other/world
chmod 777 : rwxrwxrwx
chmod 6 ......... 6 .............. 6 : rw-rw-rw-
chmod 555 : r-xr-xr-x
chmod 444 : r--r--r--
chmod 333 : -wx-wx-wx
chmod 222 : -w--w--w-
chmod 111 : --x--x--x

very common is chmod 755 /FILE

there is also a fourth parameter :
1 Sticky ( kind of a hardlink, stays on the place of the disk, deleting a copy of it would also delete the file itself )
2 SGID SET GROUP ID
4 SUID SET USER ID ( share the file to sudoers ( run as root ) ) http://www.codecoffee.com/tipsforlinux/ ... s/028.html

so chmod 1764 would make the file sticky and `ls -l` would show rwxrw-r--
if the fourth (or better first) value is not set, then it is treated as '0'

It would be chmod 0755 /usr/local/petget/FILE in the terminal

HTH