NOP 431

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Old Max

Opera went away. ???

#181 Post by Old Max »

Greetings.

I've been using NOP 431 for nearly a year now. Just recently I had a problem that is baffling me.

By accident I installed a Lucid .pet (VLC, if it matters), and realizing my mistake, I uninstalled it. Immediately after that, I could not launch Opera from the menu. Clicking on Opera under the Internet menu results in no behavior whatever.

I don't know whether to think that uninstalling VideoLan took some important lib with it, or just somehow messed up the launcher. regrettably, I don't know where the launcher files are or how to check them. Any suggestions? More information on request.

I realize NOP 431 is near, or probably at, EOL, but if someone can advise, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Old Max

Max Headroom

Old Max

#182 Post by Max Headroom »

Here's the Latest...
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Opera

:)K

Old Max

Thanks anyway.

#183 Post by Old Max »

Actually, I was hoping for more of a "solution" type solution, both for learning purposes and to try to recover some (non-critical, fortunately) mail from the other installation. Opera(Linux) seems to be very bad at importing old mail files.

I installed Puppy Lucid 5.11 so that I could post this and operate in the meanwhiles, but I actually prefer the XFCE interface.

Thanks anyway.

Old Max

DaveS

Re: Thanks anyway.

#184 Post by DaveS »

Old Max wrote:Actually, I was hoping for more of a "solution" type solution

Old Max
OK, lets try to debug it. First just open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

opera
Hit 'enter' key. One of two things will happen: either Opera will load, inwhich case it is your menu at fault, or it will not due to missing/deleted libs, inwhich case the terminal output will tell you which ones. Go for it, post back results....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Old Max

Here's what I get.

#185 Post by Old Max »

First, thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.

Opening a terminal on the affected system, I get the following two errors:

Code: Select all

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored
Googling these, I find it is Java error, and this combination shows up often enough in the Google search to be considered fairly common, IMHO.. I'll research this some more (will need to go offline and poke around the non-working Pup), but if anyone has further suggestions feel free to jump in. :)

There were actually a few hits on threads from this board, but none that I looked at were helpful to this n00b.

I'll post my experience with what I find once I have something substantive.

Thanks again. I'll be back.

Old Max

DaveS

#186 Post by DaveS »

My guess is opera needs those two libs, and they got deleted somehow. They are not present on my system (which does not have opera) so I guess they are part of the Opera install. Will check further....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Old Max

Curiouser and curiouser.

#187 Post by Old Max »

Firing up a "clean" version of NOP 431 with the two .sfs files obfuscated/renamed, Opera launches fine but the two files in the error messages can't be found -- as files -- either. I'm guessing they don't exist as files, but launch from something else, like a kernel module or something.

My super-braniac powers tell me that there must be something going on in the .sfs files. Duh.

I see that an .sfs editor for Puppy does (or did?) exist, I'll try to find and play with this a bit and see what I can find out. I'm guessing though (and I say this without rancor) that it's just time to upgrade. Would be nice to recover some of those OperaMail files though. Maybe the sfs editor will shed light.

Thanks,

Old Max

nice2k

#188 Post by nice2k »

Is there any mirror for this?

Old Max

#189 Post by Old Max »

nice2k wrote:Is there any mirror for this?
Mirror for what, exactly?

Old Max

Old Max

Kthxbai

#190 Post by Old Max »

Well, playing a bit with an sfs editor seems to indicate that whatever happened ate most of the mail I wanted to recover anyway. None of it was critical, thank the gods, but it takes some of the incentive out of learning how to fix Opera's (?) Java in NOP 431. As much as I like NOP 431 and appreciate its good points, it's basically a micro-distro with a really small user base that's reached EOL. I think I need to just switch to something else.

I'm using Lucid 5.11 now; JWM is OK but I just can't like ROX-Filer ... the latter part of this article may explain that.

Anyway, thanks to those who responded, and best wishes to all.

Old Max

nice2k

#191 Post by nice2k »

Old Max wrote:
nice2k wrote:Is there any mirror for this?
Mirror for what, exactly?

Old Max
For the .iso . The link on the first posting seems to be down :(

CatDude

#192 Post by CatDude »

Hi
nice2k wrote:For the .iso . The link on the first posting seems to be down :(
Under situations like this, it is always a good idea to read through the whole thread :wink: :wink: ,
had you done so, you would have found this on page 5

Note:
It say's:
Password: linuxNOP431
but i think it may work with just linux

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]