Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 10:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EliteOS 1.1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Author Message
P123

Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 89
Location: Northern Ireland, UK

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov 2010, 10:47    Post_subject:  

Well you both know more than me. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
l0wt3ch
Guest


PostPosted: Tue 23 Nov 2010, 08:05    Post_subject:  

EliteOS now has its own website!

eliteos.ca




.
Back to top
dogle

Joined: 11 Oct 2007
Posts: 359

PostPosted: Fri 26 Nov 2010, 18:53    Post_subject:  

Said new website says

Quote:
It's Linux, so there's no chance of viruses or malware


'no chance'? Hmm, revisit that?

Thanks anyway l0wt3ch. Perhaps you have been too kind in your gentle comments in this thread re. 'eldy'. This thread has prompted me to visit that site; I shall be less kind in my comments on that project:

Patronising, certainly

Vanity project; I would support the noble ambitions to the hilt but if they can't present a website in coherent English, BS alert. They appear to be silent as to the content/structure of the software.

The 'user manuals' (I looked at 2 languages before retreating in disgust) insist that you must have "Windows" on your computer, although the software is purportedly Linux and Mac friendly.

What a bummer! er, how disappointing, Vicar (POSMH! STINX!).

I guess this underlines the continuing burning need for software more friendly to the non-savvy, and I hope that EliteOS may play a part in this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
tlchost

Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1741
Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA

PostPosted: Sat 27 Nov 2010, 03:40    Post_subject:  

dogle wrote:

Vanity project; I would support the noble ambitions to the hilt but if they can't present a website in coherent English, BS alert.

The developers are Italian....their primary language is not English.
Quote:

The 'user manuals' (I looked at 2 languages before retreating in disgust) insist that you must have "Windows" on your computer, although the software is purportedly Linux and Mac friendly.

I believe the English help manual clearly states that the software will run under Linux...but perhaps in your disgust you overlooked a few words.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
l0wt3ch
Guest


PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 04:53    Post_subject:  

Rather than go with software that looks like it was designed for a four-year-old, complete with blue elephants, why not find a way to deliver a complete OS that anyone would like, and provide ready tools for accessibility?
Back to top
l0wt3ch
Guest


PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 04:54    Post_subject:  

On the advice of a couple people on here, I installed Eldy as an application, but most features were broken, including the web browser. Pretty useless. So I contacted the developers, who told me to use Ubuntu.

Which is fine, as I didn't really want to include it in the first place.
Back to top
dogle

Joined: 11 Oct 2007
Posts: 359

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 17:15    Post_subject:  

(Please forgive thread drift but re. Eldy -
Quote:

I believe the English help manual clearly states that the software will run under Linux...but perhaps in your disgust you overlooked a few words.

Thom, no, the English/Limey/Greek/Swedish versions of the 'Eldy User's Manual' insist that "If you want to use eldy on you(r) pc, it has to: ... have Windows ...". p2 q.v.; no subsequent qualification.

I did, in my disgust, overlook the name of that guy DaCosta! ;-)
He, having done such admirable work in fixing a Puppy version, I would have though to be well placed (if the Eldy Hauptkommandantur is worth a light) to kick ass hard and swiftly to have that disgusting - nay, abominable! - untruth excised.

Some time ago ttuuxxx very kindly posted a quick synopsis of the salient issues which emerged when he was teaching seniors. Thom, if you can ever spare the time to share your more extensive experience in that field - perhaps in another thread - and your feedback on the value of Eldy/EliteOS/et al in that situation, it would be much appreciated.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
tlchost

Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1741
Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 17:44    Post_subject:  

dogle wrote:
(Please forgive thread drift but re. Eldy -
Quote:

I believe the English help manual clearly states that the software will run under Linux...but perhaps in your disgust you overlooked a few words.

Thom, no, the English/Limey/Greek/Swedish versions of the 'Eldy User's Manual' insist that "If you want to use eldy on you(r) pc, it has to: ... have Windows ...". p2 q.v.; no subsequent qualification.


Ah....the English, English Manual, not the US English manual, I stand corrected.
Quote:

I did, in my disgust, overlook the name of that guy DaCosta! Wink


Don't recognize that name.

My testing of Eldy leads me to belive that is it works well in Windows, and is constantly being improved. I do know it has a very large user base in Italy, with a healthy number of users in England....There is a well supported Linux version(Although I do not know the flavor) there, with a smaller base of Windows users.

As far as I know, no one has managed to get Eldy working in Puppy. I made an effort. I suspect there is some "working at cross purposes" between Puppy, Java and Eldy.

Since a large number of Eldy systems are installed and supported by volunteers(other than a paid situation in England), I suspect that not a lot of effort will be devoted to supporting it where the OS and the App don't work together. I know I won't install Eldy in Puppy and either give it to seniors or teach a class using it...the combination simply does not work.

Quote:

Thom, if you can ever spare the time to share your more extensive experience in that field - perhaps in another thread - and your feedback on the value of Eldy/EliteOS/et al in that situation, it would be much appreciated.)


I'll pass...I have no interest is dealing with comments about an application that looks like it was designed by four year olds and cracks about elephants. The snide comments about something that does work, and is accepted by seniors put me off big time.

Since Eldy doesn't seem to work in Puppy, this forum is not appropriate. As far as seniors using Elite OS, I can't add anything to the discussion, since I don't use it, and would not introduce it to beginning computer users.

Thom
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
l0wt3ch
Guest


PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 01:14    Post_subject:  

tlchost wrote:
I have no interest is dealing with comments about an application that looks like it was designed by four year olds and cracks about elephants.


For four-year-olds, Thom. Not by four-year-olds.
Back to top
tlchost

Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1741
Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 01:54    Post_subject:  

l0wt3ch wrote:
tlchost wrote:
I have no interest is dealing with comments about an application that looks like it was designed by four year olds and cracks about elephants.


For four-year-olds, Thom. Not by four-year-olds.


Oh, sorry for the mis-read....I'll share your observation with some of the seniors in my classes....I'm sure they will appreciate your wit.

Thom
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
l0wt3ch
Guest


PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 02:26    Post_subject:  

While you're at it, tell them that, while you think Eldy is good enough for them, it's not good enough for you.

Tell them that you personally use Puppy Linux. Smile
Back to top
tlchost

Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1741
Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 03:17    Post_subject:  

l0wt3ch wrote:
While you're at it, tell them that, while you think Eldy is good enough for them, it's not good enough for you.

Tell them that you personally use Puppy Linux. Smile


I have told them that I use Puppy Linux....and have also told them that while it may work for some folks, it will not work with Eldy....and have show them Puppy. The Non-geeks have a uniform reaction of Yuck to Puppy.

I have no OS ax or Application ax to grind....I simply teach people about tools that will help them.

It doesn't matter what's good enough for me....it matters what works best for my students.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
l0wt3ch
Guest


PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 04:49    Post_subject:  

tlchost wrote:
The Non-geeks have a uniform reaction of Yuck to Puppy

They certainly wouldn't feel that way about EliteOS. It's received praise for both its looks and ease-of-use.

But hey, don't get me wrong. There may be those who prefer "software that looks like it was designed for a four-year-old, complete with blue elephants". To each his own!
Back to top
tlchost

Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1741
Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA

PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 06:32    Post_subject:  

l0wt3ch wrote:
tlchost wrote:
The Non-geeks have a uniform reaction of Yuck to Puppy

They certainly wouldn't feel that way about EliteOS. It's received praise for both its looks and ease-of-use.


OK....exactly how many seniors are using it? Exactly how many learning centers are using it? Can you tell me how many agencies have endorsed it? By the way, could you list the number of cities that have adopted it as an official mechanisim for citizens to communicate with the government?

I suspect you can not.

Quote:

But hey, don't get me wrong. There may be those who prefer "software that looks like it was designed for a four-year-old, complete with blue elephants". To each his own!


Oh please.....stop throwing stones. When your creation is accepted as well as Eldy has been, then you can crow about it....until then, calling names is pointless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
l0wt3ch
Guest


PostPosted: Mon 29 Nov 2010, 07:54    Post_subject:  

I don't think anyone is name-calling, Thom.

Just saying that "Eldy" is dumbed-down and patronizing. I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone, regardless of what the European Union says.

"Here Mom - look it even has instant messaging, you can talk to other Eldy users. Well, it may not be the same software that big people use, but it should be good enough for you."
Back to top
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0904s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0050s) ][ GZIP on ]