Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#1181 Post by 01micko »

I think the 'full' vs 'frugal' thing is a mindset for many.

"Oh, frugal.. doesn't that mean cheap? Oh no, I want full!"

:lol:

I can imagine many users *thinking* the above.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gcmartin

#1182 Post by gcmartin »

@01micko
I run a LiveCD. If I run your command, is a reboot required for the SFS's functions to be used?
01micko wrote:
01micko wrote:
@01micko, could your sfs installer be released as a stand alone package that could be used with other sfs packages that are not identified by Quickpet? Just drag to sfs installer, drop, and install.
Well it actually is as stand alone script so you can use it as in the following code example, I guess I could release it as a separate pet but for older pups it needs more work, such as sfs v3 detection.

Try this and it should work.

Code: Select all

sfs_installation.sh  http://some/url/on/the/web/some.sfs
Jim, this would be a neat experiment in the full install, installing the devx.. I'm trying it now in a frugal.. just paste the code to a terminal, it should work ok and convert to a pet, uninstallable with PPM.

sfs_installation.sh http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luci_devx_238.sfs
Cheers
Thanks in advance...

01micko

#1183 Post by 01micko »

Ok, my frugal worked fine

gcmartin
I run a LiveCD. If I run your command, is a reboot required for the SFS's functions to be used?
No.

I haven't tested this so it would be great if you could. Now a reboot will be require to save I think.. or can you save mid-session with the save icon? It's been awhile since I did a save back to DVD install.

Cheers

James C

#1184 Post by James C »

James C wrote:On another Luci frugal install, with Trinity, I upgraded from 237 to 238.......only things I noticed were the wallpaper and default browser reverted back to Quickpet. Easy fixes though. :)
Trinity/KDE appears to be unaffected and working as before the upgrade.Have to do some tweaking to the Trinity menu for any new applications though.
Upgrade went as well as could be expected.
It appears that the new items were automatically picked up by the KDE menu....no tweaking necessary.

gcmartin

#1185 Post by gcmartin »

Forgive me for being naive, but when you say "No", did you mean that you were NOT asked to reboot when you ran the "sfs_installation.sh" command in order to use the new services from the SFS or did you mean something else?
Thanks
01micko wrote:gcmartin
No.
I haven't tested this so it would be great if you could. Now a reboot will be require to save I think.. or can you save mid-session with the save icon? It's been awhile since I did a save back to DVD install.
Cheers

01micko

#1186 Post by 01micko »

Clarification..

No you are not asked to reboot, nor are you required. The sfs should simply (well simply enough :wink: ) be converted to a pet and then you are offered to install. The pet made is stored in /tmp so if you want you can save it on some other media. It will be flushed on reboot. Once the pet is installed (if you are using the devx as an example), type 'gcc' in a terminal and the output should be 'no input files' if the compiler is working.

You will need to save that session, or the changes will be lost

Hth

Cheers

James C

#1187 Post by James C »

Been switching back and forth between Openbox,JWM,IceWm,XFCE and Fluxbox........ WM Switcher appears to be working fine.

Booted up Luci-238 live pfix=ram on my main Linux box.Everything good on initial boot.Downloaded Chromium......forgot that Chromium doesn't run on this Athlon XP box..Still doesn't run...... :lol:

Jim1911

#1188 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Jim, this would be a neat experiment in the full install, installing the devx.. I'm trying it now in a frugal.. just paste the code to a terminal, it should work ok and convert to a pet, uninstallable with PPM.

Cheers
Sorry, it didn't work. Downloaded fine, but pet did not install. See attached. If you like, I'll try it again on a fresh full HD installation, but not tonight.

Cheers,
Jim

rjbrewer

#1189 Post by rjbrewer »

01micko wrote:I think the 'full' vs 'frugal' thing is a mindset for many.

"Oh, frugal.. doesn't that mean cheap? Oh no, I want full!"

Cheers
I've never thought that; you might just change my mind. :lol:

People from English speaking countries don't use the word "twernt".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twernt :lol:

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

yarddog

#1190 Post by yarddog »

playdayz wrote:
Additional testing needs to be done on full HD installations and upgrades.
jim1911, Agreed. I wonder what percentage of people use a full HD install? It is like an orphan in some ways--neither 01micko or I ever use it except for testing--and little enough of that. Plus Puppy was really designed for frugal, so imho full HD install was like an after thought. I know you know that I am just rambling. How much would we lose if we just said we did not support it.
Please do not take away ability to perform full install to hard drive.
I prefer this over fugual
Anytime I download a pet, before I install it, I save it to a save partition on hard drive to be used on next version of iso i.e. Lucid/Luci series
To me this is faster and works much better in environment I am using

I appreciate all the hard work and long, long hours you guys put in to provide this software to end users like me

keep up the excellent work
best regards
yarddog

01micko

#1191 Post by 01micko »

rjbrewer wrote:
I've never thought that; you might just change my mind. :lol:

People from English speaking countries don't use the word "twernt".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twernt :lol:

tho' I did have an apostrophe in front! :lol:

Cheers!

PS: I still think full installs have there place. Example, compiling the kernel, I think Barry uses a full for that, although I did it in a frugal with lots of space.

shinobar

Puppy installation

#1192 Post by shinobar »

"Oh, frugal.. doesn't that mean cheap? Oh no, I want full!" :lol:
That is exact i think every occasion.
Puppy is easy to run the live CD, but so difficult to install.
Who can manage the 'Universal Installer' and the 'Grub config'?

The 'Bootflash' is easy, but has a trap.
The 'Bootflash' installs Puppy frugally at the top layer without creating directory.
(EDIT: The 'Bootflash' formats 'vfat', so 'save the session to the whole partition' is not offered. It occurs the user formatted 'ext2/3/4' and manually installed.)
At the first shutdown, Puppy offers to save the session to the whole partition in case it is a linux partition.
If you save the session to the whole partition, you encounter many complex problems...

That is because i propose the 3 new tools:
  • Grub4DosConfig ... to make enable booting off from NTFS
  • Winfonts ... to avoid to make swap partitions
  • Frugal Installer ... to avoid newcomers be confused with the complex 'Universal' installer
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61796
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

James C

Re: Puppy installation

#1193 Post by James C »

shinobar wrote:
"Oh, frugal.. doesn't that mean cheap? Oh no, I want full!" :lol:
That is exact i think every occasion.
Puppy is easy to run the live CD, but so difficult to install.
Who can manage the 'Universal Installer' and the 'Grub config'?]
With all due respect, I disagree.

I've installed a majority of the distros listed on Distrowatch and the Puppy installer is as easy and understandable as any other distro's installer and better than most.

Just installed PCLOS 2010.10 a couple of days ago and Mepis 8.5 about a week and a half ago.....I'd take the Puppy installer every time.And I'm not even going to bring up the Debian installer........that thing confuses me every time I do a Debian install.... :lol:

Just my opinion as a Puppy user.

Stripe

#1194 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

On downloading 238
RJBrewer sorry for this but I use the word "twernt" :oops: :oops:
(in the context of "it were not" = "twernt") :wink:

Cheers
Stripe

01micko

sfs_grab

#1195 Post by 01micko »

Ok..

Jim1911 and gcmartin,

Thanks for testing the sfs_grab install method for sfs files.

I did find a couple of significant bugs in the stand alone method of installation. The method for installing to full and save-back-to CD/DVD is the same, though there are minor differences in the end result.

I have just tested with both a full install and a live save-back and the results are good :D

It should now be possible to install the devx without issue, except I can't control the space checking issue at the moment (time :cry: :roll: ). There is a warning to check you have enough space yourself, before downloading and an option to bale out.

One thing with the devx install, running from the prompt there are non fatal errors due to whiteout files being present in the devx, ignore them, and they were only apparent in the save-back method. Full installs (AFAIK) don't suffer from white-out problems, it's mainly a layered filesystem thing.

Support is still there when Barry's 'download_file' script is implemented... next woof I believe. I tested with and without, pumodes 2 and 77.

So, try the same command after installing this new patch, I hope it all goes well!

Cheers!
Attachments
sfs_grab_patch-0.3.pet
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

DaveS

#1196 Post by DaveS »

Running fine on my stuff. Twernt no trouble son..... :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1197 Post by Lobster »

I did an upgrade from Luci-236 to 237 - that went well. For 238 I am starting again . . .

It all went well :)

The setup took about 10 minutes
Why so long (I am normally set up in 5 minutes or less)?
Maybe I do more - check out a choice browser
Polish the desktop settings I prefer, add bookmarks
- ah had to set the sound . . . that may be automated in the new woof.
It just meant running the Alsa wizard. That icon bottom right - so useful
Turned on firewall (should it be on by default?) again icons bottom right helped. I also tuned on the Internet/Puppy advert blocker.
So that ten minutes includes thwarting spammers and setting up a firewall
and configuring my localised settings - I often don't bother localising.

In 10 minutes, internet connected (auto connect for Ethernet), browser selected and secured. Localised and poodled (crimped and personlised)
Bookmarks imported. 10 minutes and I am ready to face the Net
(my main focus) I could say Puppy is ready to go as soon as the desktop boots but we still do more in less time . . . :)

The default desktop and wallpaper I feel is a balanced choice.
I do change to JWM and use that (personal preference tweaking is often the first thing new users do - to claim their cyber territory)

Tried out the chat icon - just click on 'puppy linux' when pidgin loads and spend some time helping out other Puppys. URL links can now be clicked on without severing the connection.

The SWS (Simple Wall Tester) - under desktop Settings, worked OK for me.

I have installed the Crystal ATI drivers as that was recommended - time will tell. I have installed the stable Firefox 3.6.6 to test that over the next few days

Installed the devx, that seemed OK. Looking forward to Bacon when the new Woof upgrade appears . . .

Thanks guys. So many more providing much needed feedback, pets
and support . . .
Everyone is welcome to offer their experience . . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pemasu

#1198 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. I compiled latest deadbeef 0.4.4 for debian based Sid001. As stripped version it was 801 k. I removed libs to support same thing than earlier Iguleder`s version.

I can compile and make pet of the latest 0.4.4 if you and other has interest for it.

Just for testing, here is that deadbeef compiled in Sid001. I think that it works in luci238, at least it worked in luci237. There is more support in libs but I dont have experience if some of them would give extra funcionality. Mostly there is support for other audio systems like OSS and so on.... And the small size now would grow much larger.

shinobar

Multimedia on Luci-248

#1199 Post by shinobar »

Thanks playdayz upgrading grub4dosconfig to v1.6.2.
(still seems an issue with USB flash memory devices... :cry: )

BTW, Tested multimedia play back with Luci-248.
Gnome-mplayer:
Set the video output to 'x11' because my 'nv' driver does not work 'xv'.
Can play back almost all av files on my HDD. :)
Some extensions are not binding with their MIME:
.asf .oga .ogv .ra .webm

Xine:
Could not play back some av files(which Gnome-mplayer can):
WMV2, VR40
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

gcmartin

#1200 Post by gcmartin »

yarddog wrote: ..... Anytime I download a pet, before I install it, I save it to a save partition on hard drive to be used on next version of iso i.e. Lucid/Luci series
To me this is faster and works much better in environment I am using .....
I've been a LiveCD user for years. I have alway saved PETs/SFSs/RPMs/DEVs to a permanent location (HDD folder) on local HDD as well as NAS. This ability to select the download location or the ability to drag-and-drop these to a permanent location has always been a feature of any Linux no matter if its LiveCD or frugal or full. I may be missing something, but putting files, for later reuse, on mounted folders/drives is not dependent on any particular way Puppy is booted and used.

But, I could be missing what you are referencing.

If not, before expending the time to do full-installs of these beta derivatives, you MAY want to investigate LiveCD/frugal as a simple means of using Puppy as a RAM based OS.

I'm just trying to help.