Puppy Arcade 9

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
thegmandrive

Puppy Mobility Radeon 9000

#61 Post by thegmandrive »

Hi, I'm new to puppy and don't know much about it. I am familiar with Ubuntu , but I am having a hard time finding documentation/help with puppy.

I Have an old Dell Latitude D600 with the following Specs

Intel Pentium M 1.8 GHz
Chipset Type Intel 855PM
AGP 4x - ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
1gig ram

I wanted to make this a Gaming machine and have installed PuppyArcade9
everything went smoothly, but I am not able to find any drivers for the Radeon 9000.

I found this thread
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 95&t=36567
But I really want to use puppy arcade. Is my best bet to just install puppy linux and download the emulators? or is there a patch for puppy arcade?

tattoopete84

Help, having trouble getting Puppy Arcade 9 to boot from HD.

#62 Post by tattoopete84 »

1. I haven't spent much time trying to install linux distros besides Ubuntu. I installed lucid puppy 5.11 on this same machine before, and it booted fine. But when I try to install Puppy Arcade as the sole operating system i get this error:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 2

I've tried to FIX grub with "Super Grub Disk", but i still get the same error. When i try to BOOT Puppy Linux with "Super Grub Disk" it boots fine, but i'd like it to be able to boot without the "Super Grub Disk" in the computer. I want to be able to turn on the computer and it just boot directly into puppy arcade.

Also, i have checked that the partition (set in gparted) in flagged to boot. I don't know what else to do.

When installing Puppy arcade, it recommends that i should store the grub file in the MBR. Should i do that, or keep it's location as default while i install.

Also, I don't know any command line so if i have to do that please make it step by step and easy to follow. Because, usually when i find lines of code that some tutorial (etc.) says to enter into the terminal. It just errors me all the way thru.

2. Can I take Game Roms that i have downloaded already on a CD or USB thumb drive, and install them onto my Hard drive to play(that hard drive will have puppy arcade installed as the main OS). Or, do you have to download them thru Puppy Arcade? If i can use my pre-existing game roms, then i need detailed instructions on how to install them and make them fully playable.

3. There is a HELP button in the quick start menu. When i click on it, nothing happens. Is the help file not installed? It might turn out to be a useful tool. How can i access it?

4. Is it possible to use a game controler or arcade stick to navagate the GUI. Or would i have to have a mouse hanging out of my arcade machine? I hope i don't need a mouse all the time.

Thank you so much,
I'm really excited to get this rolling!!
Pete

Compaq Desktop Machine w/ some Frankenstein parts
(i don't know the full details of the computer, it was from a friend)
Intel Celetron 2.00 GHz
w/ 2 GB of RAM

Reaperz

#63 Post by Reaperz »

Makoto wrote:I couldn't tell you which version of MAME Arcade 9 uses, though sc0ttman should be able to. You'll need to make sure they're at least specified to work with that version. ROMs specified to work with later versions may work, but no guarantees, as there may have been renamed files since that version.
The answer to the MAME version number can be found in the "usr/share/doc/sdlmame" folder.

As far as MAME roms being modified, that's what ROM utilities like clrmamepro are for:
http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/

It may work through WINE. Google for a MAME '.dat' corresponding to the MAME version you need to rebuild to, or use clrmamepro to generate one from the Windows version of the same MAME. Get the Windows binary here: http://mamedev.org/oldrel.html
tattoopete84 wrote:I want to be able to turn on the computer and it just boot directly into puppy arcade.
Just set the 'timeout' option to '0', the 'default' selection to Puppy Arcade, and the selection timer to '0' on your boot-loader.
tattoopete84 wrote:When installing Puppy arcade, it recommends that i should store the grub file in the MBR. Should i do that, or keep it's location as default while i install.
If you're using Windows, or a pre-existing installation of Linux, you can chainload a partition install of GRUB. Otherwise, I'd just install it to the master boot record (MBR).

tattoopete84

#64 Post by tattoopete84 »

Reaperz Said:
Just set the 'timeout' option to '0', the 'default' selection to Puppy Arcade, and the selection timer to '0' on your boot-loader.

where do you go to set these options. I haven't seen these yet. Is it in the BIOS or somewhere in puppy arcade?[/i]

ICPUG

#65 Post by ICPUG »

If you are booting with legacy grub, the default and timer options are in menu.lst.

If you are booting with Grub2 (in the latest Ubuntus) it is in the equivalent file but it is not called menu.lst (sorry - not into grub2 just yet to be more helpful).

Makoto

#66 Post by Makoto »

Reaperz wrote:The answer to the MAME version number can be found in the "usr/share/doc/sdlmame" folder.
Yes, and I think there are a few ways to tell from the binary itself - but I'm not running Puppy Arcade 9, which is why I couldn't say what version of MAME it's running. :D
Reaperz wrote:As far as MAME roms being modified, that's what ROM utilities like clrmamepro are for:
http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/
I thought I heard a while back that someone was working on either a Linux version of clrmame, or a comparable auditor... guess nothing's come of it, if that's true. That's why I liked the previous version of MAME sc0ttman had been using - like some of the Windows' GUI versions of MAME, it also had a built-in auditor. Well, that and the SDL versions never seemed to work entirely right under my Puppy setup. :P

tattoopete84: Yes, you can use your existing ROMs with Puppy Arcade, but as I mentioned in your original topic, it also depends upon what you have and with which system/emulator you're wanting to use them. Some emulators, like MAME, may require you to add the folders your ROMs are in to its configuration (so it'll know where to look). Others might not take compressed/archived files (.zip/.rar/etc., though I'm not sure whether or not Arcade 9 has any emulators that won't accept archives). And, as mentioned above, there may be other hurdles you might face in using ROMs with MAME.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

tattoopete84

#67 Post by tattoopete84 »

I've heard a couple of remarks about putting game roms into folders. That sounds normal, but i haven't interacted with a folder in Arcade Puppy 9 yet. Is there a regular GUI where i can organize files? All that i've seen in acrade puppy while messing around is the emulator dock, the quick start menu, rom loader and config menus. I also see the "start" menu at the bottom left with some program options. But even when i go on firefox to download a game rom then right click the name of the rom in the download window. Then tell it to "open containing folder", it asks me what program i want to use to do that. I don't Understand!! If i could get into folders on the system then this would be possible. But still i don't really know where to find special folders in linux yet (the basic stuff i "should" already probably know). So i really need to know EXACTLY what to do. Because nothing seems to be working. I am originally a macintosh user if that helps. There was no section for Puppy Arcade in the Beginners section. But also i am good with computers, i just need to know what to do.

(puppy arcade still wont boot with out CD)

tattoopete84

#68 Post by tattoopete84 »

ICPUG wrote:
If you are booting with legacy grub, the default and timer options are in menu.lst.

If you are booting with Grub2 (in the latest Ubuntus) it is in the equivalent file but it is not called menu.lst (sorry - not into grub2 just yet to be more helpful).

:?: :?: :?: Okay, I'm only trying to install Puppy Arcade 9 as the main and only operating system on the computer that i'm working on. When installing puppy arcade 9 it gives me the option to either UPDATE or INSTALL Grub. So if that's legacy grub then OK. I really don't know. I'm pretty sure it's not Grub2. I'm a little new to troublesooting in linux. So please make your answers understandable.

I don't know where to find menu.lst or how to alter it once it find it. It's probably simple, but i just need to know what to do.

Is there a folder and menu (GUI) to access in puppy arcade or is it just the front end. So far i haven't been able to access any windows, drives, or folders. So that i can reorganize stuff and whatnot.

tattoopete84

#69 Post by tattoopete84 »

oh Sorry 1 more thing.

What should i format my drive as when installing puppy arcade 9? I've tried EXT 2 and EXT 3 both didn't help me boot without a CD. Also since i've been trying to install Puppy arcade 9 i've been using the FULL install option (i tried the Frugal install option once, after installing Lucid puppy 5.11 to see if that would work and it didn't). What i really want to do is is make this a simple to boot up arcade system, period. I'm sacrificing it for the cause. :)

sc0ttman

#70 Post by sc0ttman »

To tattoopete84... And anyone else who is interested...

Firstly, about downloading files... You can get roms from anywhere, downloaded from anywhere..
They do not need to be downloaded using puppy arcade..

But you want all your roms stored on a mountable partition, not in your save file...
Somewhere like '/mnt/home/roms' would be fine...

And yes, there is a file manager, a 'windows explorer' to you windows users...

Left-Click on the desktop, a small menu will pop up, showing most used apps..
(Right click on the desktop for the full menu of all apps)

After you left click, the small menu pops up, then click 'Browse Files'..
This will open ROX, the file manager used in Puppy Linux..

Rox will open in the '/root' folder by default..
Browse up one folder from /root and you are in / which is the "top level", if you like..

By default, Firefox will save files to '/root/Downloads'..
You cannot open files using Firefox, you must use ROX..

Most of your files and settings will be stored in /root...
When using ROX, click the eye icon to show/hide hidden files..

Regarding install to hard drive.. Frugal install to ext2 or ext 3 is a good kind of install to do....
Some work has been done to make this simpler, since PA9 was released...
So..

For easier install of Puppy Arcade, you can do the following:

1. Download and install grub4dosconfig and frugal installer here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57711

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

2. Then install gparted from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... m-2-p4.pet

Or get it from the puppy package manager (Menu->Setup->Puppy Package Manager)..

3. Using GParted, format any partition (maybe on a USB drive) to fat, ext2 or ext3..

4. Then, when you have your partition ready, run frugal installer, and choose the partition you want to install PA9 to..

Follow the steps, it will add a frugal install (the best method IMHO) to the chosen partition..
Then it will (optionally) install Grub4DOS in the MBR of whichever hard drive is your default boot device.

(You can run grub4dosconfig separately to do this as well...)

Once finished, frugal-installer will even find any other frugal puppy installs, and also find your windows installs, then automatically add these to your boot options :)

5. Then reboot and you should see a boot menu with bootup choices...

You can always boot the live CD and edit menu.lst <-- this is the file with all the boot options..
menu.lst will be in the root (top level) of the drive to which you installed grub.

Note:

If you do not want to replace your MBR, maybe because you have windows on the PC, you can read the grub4dos help file, it tells you how to load Grub4DOS from the windows boot loader..

(NOTE: the next PA will have grub4dosconfig, frugal installer, firstrun, etc, and will be easier to install to HD)
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

ICPUG

#71 Post by ICPUG »

Sorry, tattoopete84, for assuming you had more Puppy/Linux knowledge than you did.

sc0ttman has covered most of your queries.

Just to emphasise that a full or frugal install uses legacy grub. Grub4dos, which sc0ttman mentions, is a variant of legacy as well.

So, when you open up ROX and have a look around, menu.lst is the file to look at for setting instant boot into Arcade.

Understanding Puppy/Linux is going to be a bit daunting at first as Linux is not Windows. Hopefully, getting to grips with ROX will be all you need to help you to get Arcade working as you wish.

tattoopete84

#72 Post by tattoopete84 »

Okay, Thank you sc0tman for the help, My puppy arcade 9 is now booting from the hard drive with no CD. :D I've also installed the game roms that i had stored on different drives.

:arrow: I've tried to map out my joystick keys for as much as possible, but i'm having trouble controling romloader. When i go to set the keys in rejoystick for romloader, it wants me to enter multiple key combos. ie: 'alt + f'. I don't know how to get rejoystick to accept these key combos.

:arrow: I'm also having trouble getting romloader to not freeze up on me when i'm trying to enter a game. It gets to some point of selecting the files and then doesn't go any further. The emulators seem to be working normal without romloader frontend.

:arrow: Can i customize the way that romloader displays each system? I swear i saw a video where someone had it set up to be full screen image of each system at a time. They pushed left or right to make the screen slide over to show the next system. ( i couldn't find the video again to show you, sorry). So, i guess what i'm asking is if there are any other view modes in romloader. :?: :)

thanks everyone.

tattoopete84

#73 Post by tattoopete84 »

I take that back. My emulators aren't even working normally with or without romloader. Genesis boots into a black screen before it lets me choose a game. Nintendo won't boot at all. Also, i've played these emus on here before, when i first installed PA9 yesterday. Now all of the sudden they don't want to work. I have to keep pulling the plug on the computer to be able to reboot. I've tried pushing every button that i can think of. It just keeps locking me out. (I'm using the default emulators)

also when i push 'f' in the default snes emulator it full screens with what seems like no hope of returning back to the menus. how to you un-fullscreen. esc wasn't working.

thanks !

tattoopete84

#74 Post by tattoopete84 »

Nes, works now that i changed over to nestopia (i don't understand becuase it was working on default FCEU before) Genesis won't boot from rom loader. It boots fine without romloader. It seems like everything is going haywire as a set up my machine. All that i've done is TRY to set up my joystick. It set up easily out of the box. But once i started programming the emus for my joypad it started Freaking out! now genesis (which won't boot from romloader) won't program it's joypad at all no matter what i enter in the settings.. and now nestopia is registering 'down' as 'down + B' (ie. mega man shoots when i push down.) i know how to change the joypad settings either with the built in prefs in the emulators or in rejoystick application.

I finally got this PA9 installed, i don't want to have to give up now. Because i feel like i've tried everything!!! :(

tattoopete84

#75 Post by tattoopete84 »

I'm 1000% Sick of unplugging my computer from the wall to force a reboot. Do i really have to do that? I just keep hitting dead ends.. Is there a way to exit a program that is open when you can't get to the menus? like ctrl+alt+del???

(for more info read above) :shock:

sc0ttman

#76 Post by sc0ttman »

tattoopete84 wrote: :arrow: When i go to set the keys in rejoystick for romloader, it wants me to enter multiple key combos. ie: 'alt + f'. I don't know how to get rejoystick to accept these key combos.
Don't forget to read all the help files, they are linked to in most GUIs..

It states in the rejoystickCC help file, and I've posted it in this thread already, that to add key combinations, such as Alt-F, you simply need to map Alt to one button, and F to another.. That's the only way to do it.

Again in the readme it states that Rejoystick is only required to add joypad control to emulators which do not support it themselves..

You can set the controls within the emulators themselves most of the time. Check the menus and settings options before loading a game.

To load the default emulators and play with their settings you may want to open the 'Frontend Chooser' and set them all the 'Default'...
Can i customize the way that romloader displays each system?... i guess what i'm asking is if there are any other view modes in romloader.?
No, its a fixed GUI, it must have been something else you saw..
Is there a way to exit a program that is open when you can't get to the menus? like ctrl+alt+del??
It is Crtl+Alt+Backspace in linux... This will exit to the command prompt.. From there you type 'xwin' to go back into the desktop.

Also, Alt+Enter is most often to used to toggle fullscreen.. Sometimes it's Ctrl+F, or Escape..

The emulators will tell you in their settings tabs/menus/files..

And you can always disable fullscreen before you load a game, to check it works. Then when you know it works, try fullscreen.

Alos, type 'genesis' instead of 'gens' in the terminal, it will open in windowed mode.

If you want to, you can open the Puppy Arcade Control Panel, and go to the Gaming tab.. It will show all the config files for all the emulators..

If an emulator such as FCEU won't boot (must be your setup, btw!), simply type 'fceu' into the terminal and see what error messages you get...

In general, it sounds as though something has gone wrong in the install/setup phase...
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

daniel.franzini

puppy does not install

#77 Post by daniel.franzini »

Hi there. First, congratulations for the good work.

Now, I'm having this problem. PuppyArcade does not install in HD. I run the installer, choose internal IDE/SATA then the installer tells that it will run gparted to create/alter partitions in the disk. But gparted never gets loaded. I did manually created partitions using cfdisk but the installer does not seem to recognize them and keeps telling the same message and trying to run gparted.

The machine is setup specially for this, it is a Athlon 1300, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb HDD on an M810 PCChips motherboard.

Could the problem be lack of RAM to run GParted?

Thank you

Daniel

sc0ttman

Re: puppy does not install

#78 Post by sc0ttman »

daniel.franzini wrote:Hi there. First, congratulations for the good work.

Now, I'm having this problem. PuppyArcade does not install in HD
I'm sure this has already been covered in this thread.. As it says on the main post, GParted was removed (stupidly perhaps)...

Follow this guide: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 666#468666

daniel.franzini

#79 Post by daniel.franzini »

sc0ttman wrote: I'm sure this has already been covered in this thread.. As it says on the main post, GParted was removed (stupidly perhaps)...

I'm sorry about this. I'm just new to Puppy and I just followed the instructions that appeared. I will try to do what the guide says. Thank you for your help.

daniel.franzini

#80 Post by daniel.franzini »

sc0ttman wrote: I'm sure this has already been covered in this thread.. As it says on the main post, GParted was removed (stupidly perhaps)...

I'm sorry about this. I'm just new to Puppy and I just followed the instructions that appeared. I will try to do what the guide says. Thank you for your help.