Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
DaveS

#1121 Post by DaveS »

Muscateers... typo or pun on the whole cat/dog/puppy thing? :) :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Fishy

Losing Personal Storage

#1122 Post by Fishy »

I asked once before but received no reply. What eats up personal storage and how do I check? I have 1 gig personal storage and it is down to 439 meg, It jumped from 800+ down to 444 overnight and now down to 439 a couple of hours since last checking it. :? No, I haven't downloaded any programs during this time.

Only thing running is transmission - seeding some files. Shouldn't matter as all my important files are in a separate folder outside frugal install. This happened in 236 but not 235.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.. Luci-237 is running well although a couple times it dropped wired internet connection (DSL) and didn't reconnect.

thanks for all the hard work and effort :D

Dropped another meg since posting!

stu90

#1123 Post by stu90 »

playdayz wrote:
Having a bit of trouble with( AMD k CPU scaling tool requiring to reset it each boot .
Stu90, tazoc and I are working on this. I believe tazoc does it all with a file in /root/Startup.

My recommendation is to wait for luci-238 and see if it works as it should out of the box. Thanks.

There is a thread at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60846
Hi playdayz don't know if it will be of any help but i edited the first two lines in cpu-frequency-scaling.sh in /startup rebooted and frequency scaling activated as normal. :) cheers.

Code: Select all

modprobe powernow-k8
modprobe cpufreq-conservative

cd /sys/devices/system/cpu
for i in `ls -d1 cpu[0-9]*`; do

echo ondemand > $i/cpufreq/scaling_governor
  echo 800000 > $i/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
  echo 1600000 > $i/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

done
echo 95 > cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

stu90

Re: Losing Personal Storage

#1124 Post by stu90 »

Fishy wrote:I asked once before but received no reply. What eats up personal storage and how do I check? I have 1 gig personal storage and it is down to 439 meg, It jumped from 800+ down to 444 overnight and now down to 439 a couple of hours since last checking it. :? No, I haven't downloaded any programs during this time.

Only thing running is transmission - seeding some files. Shouldn't matter as all my important files are in a separate folder outside frugal install. This happened in 236 but not 235.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.. Luci-237 is running well although a couple times it dropped wired internet connection (DSL) and didn't reconnect.

thanks for all the hard work and effort :D

Dropped another meg since posting!
Do you have transmission save location and incomplete torrent location set to out side of your save file.?

bigpup

Re: Losing Personal Storage

#1125 Post by bigpup »

Fishy wrote:I asked once before but received no reply. What eats up personal storage and how do I check? I have 1 gig personal storage and it is down to 439 meg, It jumped from 800+ down to 444 overnight and now down to 439 a couple of hours since last checking it. :? No, I haven't downloaded any programs during this time.

Could be something with Transmission.
Here is one problem
https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewto ... f=9&t=9936

bigpup

#1126 Post by bigpup »

Something to look into. Talk of a new kernel patch that does some very interesting changes.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62053

Fishy

#1127 Post by Fishy »

Hi Stu, torrents are located in the download folder outside of the save file. I have a folder located outside of the save file containing folders labeled Downloads, Music, e books, Calibre (library), Misc and Pictures. I learned quite a while ago that I lost too much when I screwed up my Puppy. :lol:

playdayz

#1128 Post by playdayz »

Playing DVD's

Karl G made me aware of this--since I don't play DVD's very often I didn't know.

Anyway, it seems to me that a software DVD player should play the dvd just like a "real" dvd" player. I was very disappointed to find that gnome-mplayer and smplayer do not do that. This is another thing that everyone but me knew I am sure.

I spent most of yesterday investigating. Really, I think a linux distro ought to have a DVD player that works correctly.

Ogle does not work correctly with Openbox, but it does work correctly with JWM, and it is very small. Gxine prepared by Karl does work correctly to play dvd's in Openbox but it is too large to include in the distro. VLC plays them correctly and works with Openbox. "Playing correctly" means displaying all of the menus, at least--playing them like a standalone player *and* going to full screen correctly.

What do you DVD watchers think? Are there workarounds that you use? The simplest solution is to put both gxine and ogle in PPM.

Thanks.

??? Rename gxine to Xine DVD player and make up for the 2MB by taking something out of mplayer (the extra high performance files).

pemasu

#1129 Post by pemasu »

vlc has been my dvd and movie player all the time. It handles many codecs also. Also subtitles handling works fine. Only thing is to change fonts path to use puppy font aka select one. If there is need for one good player, i havent find better than vlc.

Size matters also. Vlc is big and it is already in repo. And there is now many 1.x vlc pets around murga-linux to use.

Because I need working subtitles handling, not many apps meets my criteria for both dvd and xvid avi use.

stu90

#1130 Post by stu90 »

I very rarely play DVD's on the laptop so just had a go with 237 and the default gnome mplayer.

Insert DVD and i get a mounted CD on the desktop click on it and it opens with Gnome mplayer to the DVD menu, right click on the video screen and select full screen or press F key. Video plays ok from menu selection and no problems in full screen?

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy 5.2 Base Luci-237 New Version NOV 13

#1131 Post by Billtoo »

Ogle plays dvd movies well in Wary.

rjbrewer

#1132 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:Playing DVD's

Karl G made me aware of this--since I don't play DVD's very often I didn't know.

Anyway, it seems to me that a software DVD player should play the dvd just like a "real" dvd" player. I was very disappointed to find that gnome-mplayer and smplayer do not do that. This is another thing that everyone but me knew I am sure.

I spent most of yesterday investigating. Really, I think a linux distro ought to have a DVD player that works correctly.

What do you DVD watchers think? Are there workarounds that you use? The simplest solution is to put both gxine and ogle in PPM.
Wow; I've been complaining about this since the beginning of
5.0, Quirky, Wary..

Took Barry a long time to see that mplayer sucks with dvd; even
though it's really good with everything else.

Ogle works great in the newest Wary for dvd, but the Gnome-Mplayer in Luci is better than the one in Wary for other stuff.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

live

#1133 Post by live »

DVD Player

Happier with SMPlayer than VLC which is slower to me.
Plays everything FLV, wma, wmv, ....

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/downloa ... tr_lang=en

eeepuppy

problems changing release

#1134 Post by eeepuppy »

How is it possible that when you download a program Puppy Package Manager and SFS GET do not work and Quickpet work fine? (See pic)
I refer to the previous post to say that the icons have reappeared when I changed the color depth from 16 to 24 bits in xorg.conf but all the other problems remain. (XPLNS not working yet)
Attachments
pup-get_sfsgrab.jpg
(190.66 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

pemasu

#1135 Post by pemasu »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

Smplayer meets my criteria also. If there would not be vlc, then it would be Smplayer :) But it is also quite big, over 9 Mb.

Gnome-mplayer does not have timeline portable slider, it has preset time steps. Or is it editable from some configuration to make it slide portable ?

playdayz

#1136 Post by playdayz »

XineDVD DVD Player - Coming Very Soon to a Puppy PC Home Theater Near You!

A full-featured, dedicated DVD player. Insert the DVD. Start XineDVD. Click DVD on XineDVD. Use all the navigation keys: Skip, FF, etc. Menus work. F to toggle fullscreen. G to toggle controls. Extensive configuration options. Plays the whole DVD, even the dumb warnings. Downloadable skins.

Not to say a word against gnome-mplayer, Smplayer, VLC, or Ogle, all of which remain available. They will all play DVD's, but IMO they play them like a media player. XineDVD plays them like a DVD Player, which again IMHO, is what the "windows refugees" we talk about expect to see (my wife for instance ;-) I am comfortable with it also.

Personal Note: Xine was the first Linux software that in my experience *outperformed* Windows software. It could play discrete 4-channel when all the commercial Windows PowerDVD could do was that matrix surround. That was years ago of course.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 19 Nov 2010, 23:12, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

Re: problems changing release

#1137 Post by 01micko »

eeepuppy wrote:How is it possible that when you download a program Puppy Package Manager and SFS GET do not work and Quickpet work fine? (See pic)
I refer to the previous post to say that the icons have reappeared when I changed the color depth from 16 to 24 bits in xorg.conf but all the other problems remain. (XPLNS not working yet)
2 questions

1) Is this downloading behaviour the same from every mirror? (Particular mainly to sfs_grab. Barry is, as we speak, improving the downloading for PPM. I believe Quickpet has set the bench mark)

2)What type of internet connection do you have?

Cheers

EDIT
eeepuppy -please try this patch. It incorporates Barry's new 'download_file' script.

Cheers

EDIT 2

Note: this is not the latest version of Barry's script, the latest will be in the nest woof. ftp mirrors will not work, but Barry has fixed this in the next version.

EDIT 3

I have made minor adjustments to sfs_grab so that when the new woof comes out it will take advantage of the new download_file script if installed or else just uses wget. This is in the latest quickpet, not implemented in this patch. The patch is for testing only. It works in all my testing, full or frugal.
Attachments
sfs_grab_patch-1.pet
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

bigpup

#1138 Post by bigpup »

Barry has done some changes to one of the boot scripts, /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe.
It has helped to cure the sound muted at boot, or network connection not remembered at bootup.
Get the pet here;
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 044#469044

shinobar

ANNOUNCE: Grub4DosConfig bugfix release

#1139 Post by shinobar »

Bugfix released Grub4DosConfig v1.6.2.
# 20nov10 v1.6.2: fix RAM mode, fix puppyoptions, single item for single windows, wubi support
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1140 Post by Lobster »

helped to cure the sound muted at boot

improvement for me too - should be in the next Woof I hope . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D