How to minimize writing to IDE Compact Flash?

Booting, installing, newbie
p1000

How to minimize writing to IDE Compact Flash?

#1 Post by p1000 »

Hi,
Looking for some help here, i have downloaded the 1.0.8 version and install it as the following step
1) Boot using cd
2) make ext2 file system on /dev/hda1 ( which is a 1 GB CF-IDE Compact Flash )
3) copy vmlinuz , image.gz and usr_cram.fs to /dev/hda1
4) run grub installation to /dev/hda1
5) move the image.gz and vmlinuz to /boot in /dev/hda1
6) modifiy the menu.lst
7) reboot and follow the step to config.

Now, do there have extra step to take to minimize the write to the CF card. Cause when i try to copy the /root and do power off without shutdown, the file is still there. From what i have read on the web, it stated that any file write to /root will not immediately sync to the flash, and only at the end of session / shutdown than content /root will be writen to pupxxx file. Is there any thing missing ?

Hope that some guru can help me on this.

thank you.

BlackAdder

#2 Post by BlackAdder »

The boot parameter PSLEEP=999 is used to tell Puppy to defer writes as if it is on a USB flash drive, but not to wait for xx seconds for the USB to stabilise.
This applies with Puppy 1.05 and later. Puppy 2 uses a different technique to handle flash cards.
Your way of setting up Puppy on CF is non-standard, but may work. Do you really need Grub? and don't forget to make the CF card bootable.
There are several other threads about booting from CF cards that may help.
There has also been debate about how many write cycles current CF cards can handle before degrading or collapsing. Some makers claim 1 million write cycles, and some use an internal technique for wear levelling that might make concerns about frequent writes irrelevant. I have not been prepared to take a chance myself.

p1000

#3 Post by p1000 »

hello BlackAdder,
thank you, it is working now. Reason using the grub so that i don't need to used floppy disk to make the CF bootable ( syslinux stuff ).

thanks

pythoncoder

#4 Post by pythoncoder »

Hi blackadder! Do you need PSLEEP=999 if you're using a PUPx file on an IDE CF adaptor?

Pete

BlackAdder

#5 Post by BlackAdder »

Pete,
Barry included the PSLEEP=999 change specifically to support IDE-CF adapters which are seen by Puppy as /dev/hda. The NTAVO machines based on the VIA EPIA motherboard caused Barry to make the change back in the 1.03-1.04 timeframe (his Green period :lol: ).
So - if your CF card is seen as a "hard disk" I think it would be sensible to include the parameter in syslinux.cfg. The only downside I know of is that no changes are stored if the system does not shut down normally.

pythoncoder

#6 Post by pythoncoder »

Will do! Thanks for that.

Pete