Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Artie

No ps/2 mouse in luci-237-SCSI.iso

#1041 Post by Artie »

Hello everybody. I'm checking out the latest edition Puppy on my ancient Dell Latitude C840 laptop. Everything works fine except my ps/2 external mouse. Debian Stable detected the mouse automatically. How can I force Puppy to see it? Thanks!

Artie

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy 5.2 Base Luci-237 New Version NOV 13

#1042 Post by Billtoo »

I installed 237 to a 4gb flash drive and installed the
kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs and luci_devx_237.sfs, then I went
to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and got the
driver for my Geforce 286 GT.
I exited to the prompt and ran the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.21.run file
and when it finished I let it update my xorg.conf file, then ran
xorgwizard and chose the nvidia driver.

Billtoo

#1043 Post by Billtoo »

oops, double post.

Vi&Fe

#1044 Post by Vi&Fe »

Hi to all...
I have instaled the Puppy to my old, old, old P300.
Now, someone give me this ACCTON EN1660 Ethernet Adapter, and i what to connect it to my PC.
It uses an ISA slot...

Help please

Is the first time I'm using Linux

PS: sorry for my english.

playdayz

#1045 Post by playdayz »

kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs
That's different than I was using. I will look for it. Thanks..

Billtoo. You steered me right. I have been using, and even posted in Quickpet, the kernel source that Barry posted for 2.6.33.2 (kernel_src-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs). Barry compiled the original kernel, but 01micko compiled the version of the kernel that we have used since the release of Lucid 5.0. The version kernel_src_l4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs looks like it was posted by 01micko. I thought he had used the same sources as Barry. It may be that one version is good for one thing and the other for other things????

At any rate, it worked. Would you believe I had just decided to let it go when I read your message ;-) Now if I can just figure out the packaging, we will be in business. Well, you are already in business. Thanks again.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 16 Nov 2010, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#1046 Post by DaveS »

Playdayz, talking kernels, seen this? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ideo&num=1
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#1047 Post by playdayz »

DaveS wrote:Playdayz, talking kernels, seen this? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ideo&num=1
WOW!!!

Billtoo

ucid Puppy 5.2 Base Luci-237 New Version NOV 13

#1048 Post by Billtoo »

playdayz wrote:
At any rate, it worked. Would you believe I had just decided to let it go when I read your message ;-) Now if I can just figure out the packaging, we will be in business. Well, you are already in business. Thanks again.
Glad to help :) I spied a message that 01micko left this morning where he mentioned the kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs and where to get it so I thought I give it a shot.

I have no idea how to package the driver into a pet but I'm guessing that 01micko does.

rcrsn51

#1049 Post by rcrsn51 »

Mobeus wrote:There is one issue with the Lupu puppies that should be addressed. Samba cannot share a printer via cups in Lupu, unless a workaround is employed, and the workaround is clunky. Something in Lupu, maybe cups, sets the wrong directory permissions on /var/spool/cups on every boot. Windows client computers trying to send a print job need to write to this directory, and the permissions will not allow it.
Samba-TNG can serve CUPS printers to Windows clients (with one change to the smb.conf) and the download is a bit smaller :wink:

tubeguy

#1050 Post by tubeguy »

bigpup wrote:
tubeguy wrote:One note on luci-237 video, I was getting an average 250 frames in glxgears with luci-232, it has jumped to 270 frames, so yet another improvement! :D
What is your video card and what video driver are you using?
You should be able to get much better readings with the proper video driver setup.
I have an old Nvidia card with the proper Nvidia driver and get glxgears frame readings of above 5,000. With the proper setup, any video card should give glxgears frame readings of 1,200 or more.
Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XPAi1 (rev 82)
Xorg-High installed

Edit: That particular device is spectacularly craptacular:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video ... Ai1+v6.402
Last edited by tubeguy on Tue 16 Nov 2010, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

tubeguy

#1051 Post by tubeguy »

abushcrafter wrote:
playdayz wrote:Real audio was very interesting--still for low bandwidth I do not think there is any better codec.
yuck. real audio, mp3, acc, etc are rubbish compared to OGG/Vorbis!
I knew that was coming! :-)

rhadon

#1052 Post by rhadon »

No luck, trying to install the new ATI driver with ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run :cry:

After adding a missing symlink to libatiuki.so.1 I get only

Code: Select all

aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
.No matter I run aticonfig, aticonfig --initial or aticonfig --initial -f. Tried with kernel_src_L3-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs and ...L4... :cry:

Any idea?

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

playdayz

#1053 Post by playdayz »

Hot off the Presses. Tested on two machines now.

With big thanks to billtoo. The latest version 10-10 of the ATI Catalyst Display Driver. This is the proprietary driver published by AMD/ATI.

Should at the least work with Radeon HD cards--aren’t they up to HD 5xxx now? I am trying to find the exact list. Yes, from HD 2400 to HD 5900 for desktop and Mobility Radeon HD.

Download and install the pet, then *Reboot* It says you can Restart the X Server and that worked on one machine, but on the other I had to REBOOT. You can run 'glxgears' in a terminal to verify it is working--the glxgears on my machine were over twice as fast as Xorg_High (the 'radeon' open source high performance driver, which is pretty good, don't get me wrong). Do Not combine Xorg_High with the ATI driver.

To uninstall, uninstall the pet and then Exit to a prompt and run xorgwizard.

This is the first version ;-0 I learned by examining the one Barry made for wary. Be careful. Better start with pfix=ram in case anything goes wrong. Don't forget to ***Reboot***

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/ATI_f ... -Lucid.pet

I am hopeful that compiz will run with this driver--but that's just a hope right now.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 17 Nov 2010, 00:23, edited 9 times in total.

playdayz

#1054 Post by playdayz »

rhadon wrote:No luck, trying to install the new ATI driver with ati-driver-installer-10-10-x86.x86_64.run :cry:

After adding a missing symlink to libatiuki.so.1 I get only

Code: Select all

aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
.No matter I run aticonfig, aticonfig --initial or aticonfig --initial -f. Tried with kernel_src_L3-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs and ...L4... :cry:

Any idea?

Rolf
Hey Rolf, Have I got a deal for you!

You should not be using the 64 bit even if your computer is because Puppy Lucid isn't. Read back a page or two and see which set of kernel sources you need. Billtoo discovered that. Or just try the one I made. Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 16 Nov 2010, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#1055 Post by bigpup »

Luci 237
USB Flash install
Using JWM
In JWM Configuration Manager
If you select "or apply current GTK theme to JWM"
The tray in JWM is removed and will stay that way.

It causes the jwmrc-tray file to be empty. Nothing in it. Blank. This causes the tray to be removed because there is no data for placing the tray on the desktop.
A backup of the jwmrc-tray file is made and it has the original data.
The only way to get the tray back is to use the backup file to replace the blank one.

playdayz

#1056 Post by playdayz »

Real audio was very interesting--still for low bandwidth I do not think there is any better codec.
OK, off-topic this once ;-) IMHO Real was the first to enable audio streaming and I still think their low bandwidth codec has not been topped. For years I listened to the BBC and WWOZ in New Orleans in low bandwidth real audio (starting in about 1994). BUT, they were attacked by Microsoft and in trying to stay alive they did some really crummy marketing stuff. Again IMO the need for a low bandwidth codec is pretty well gone, but Real's moneymaker now is the Rhapsody music service, and in fact I was just notified that they were obsoleting the 'rax' format--the protected real audio format. And good riddance to copy protection of course ;-)
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 16 Nov 2010, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

tubeguy

#1057 Post by tubeguy »

playdayz wrote:
Real audio was very interesting--still for low bandwidth I do not think there is any better codec.
OK, off-topic this once ;-) IMHO Real was the first to enable audio streaming and I still think there low bandwidth codec has not been topped. For years I listened to the BBC and WWOZ in New Orleans in low bandwidth real audio (starting in about 1994). BUT, they were attacked by Microsoft and in trying to stay alive they did some really crummy marketing stuff. Again IMO the need for a low bandwidth codec is pretty well gone, but Real's moneymaker now is the Rhapsody music service.
I think it was the system that was key, streaming RA was the first to detect and optimize the stream for available bandwidth, which meant a lot more back when dialup was the norm.

Billtoo

#1058 Post by Billtoo »

I booted pfix=nox,ram (several times) and the only way I could get to
the desktop was by choosing vesa and once there I installed your new
ATI_fglrx-10.10-Lucid.pet and restarted x.The screen came back up at
1920x1080 which is the correct resolution.

# glxgears
40540 frames in 5.0 seconds
40558 frames in 5.0 seconds
40598 frames in 5.0 seconds
40108 frames in 5.0 seconds
40565 frames in 5.0 seconds
#
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ATI Radeon HD 5500 Series
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

The card is an ATI Radeon HD 5570.

In the screenshot the drive icons are displaced because the vesa
resolution was much lower.

bigpup

#1059 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Hot off the Presses. Tested on two machines now.

With big thanks to billtoo. The latest version 10-10 of the ATI Catalyst Display Driver. This is the proprietary driver published by AMD/ATI.

Should at the least work with Radeon HD cards--aren’t they up to HD 5xxx now? I am trying to find the exact list. Yes, from HD 2400 to HD 5900 for desktop and Mobility Radeon HD.
Works great with my ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP.
What I have been needing for a long time in Puppy Linux!!!!
Thanks!!!!
My glxgears readings with this video driver
Attachments
glxgears ati driver.png
glxgears with ATI driver
(8.67 KiB) Downloaded 4151 times

playdayz

#1060 Post by playdayz »

I booted pfix=nox,ram (several times) and the only way I could get to
the desktop was by choosing vesa and once there I installed your new
ATI_fglrx-10.10-Lucid.pet and restarted x.The screen came back up at
1920x1080 which is the correct resolution.
That was a long way around. So it wouldn't just boot straight to a desktop? Did it boot to a black screen?