Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 - The fastest dog on Earth

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
kurok

#541 Post by kurok »

wow blazing fast on my old vaio with a 233 mhz processor and 128 mb of ram. everything worked out of the box. Thanks for bringing this old beast back from the dead. Im actually thinking about getting more ram for it to c what it can really do. (only holds 256mb max). Only thing i dont like about it is the browser. I'm hopping someone will package iron for it.

Well thank you for this wonderful os.
Kurok

willem1940NLD

#542 Post by willem1940NLD »

I now tried twice, on 2 different rather old computers, 2 downloads for the iso, using this link:

http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/other/ ... eme_v1.iso

Could the copy there be out of order, damaged maybe?

Starting up "live" neither by xorg nor by xvesa could I get the desktop; via xorg remained black and via xvesa white speckled grey screen, with menu under right mouse button.

This is so strange, I got a handful of different puppies working already on both computers and now I am eager to try a really small one on the oldest one (450MHz 256MB RAM 2x20GB HD IDE).

Any other direct download link available?

kurok

#543 Post by kurok »

as far as i can tell thats the same one i used. I had aboslutly no problems with it so far i can even play my cd's with no problems

muggins

#544 Post by muggins »

willem1940NLD,

"via xorg remained black"....isn't that the default for turbo? Did you try right-clicking to see whether menu shows up?

kurok

#545 Post by kurok »

why now that i think of it that is the way the desktop looks with the way its installed. If you move your courser to the left os the screen around the middle the icons should show up. I have mine switched to the other manager and had forgotten that.
Now i have a question will this pet for iron http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/ work with this version?
cheers
Kurok

willem1940NLD

#546 Post by willem1940NLD »

Right .... I now found that I can use menu opened by right mouse click ..... and build my own desktop eventually.

But there seems to be a strange limitation in seamonkey/google in puppies older than 431: it/they cannot find most of the websites I am interested in, especially my preferred site/search engine "metaseek" without which I am rather helpless.

I am now pottering "live" with the Turbopo Xtreme V1.0 CD but, so strange, it seems this stuff can only find sites related to (searchword) "puppy" .... ???

Now things are getting worse, even: I forced www.metaseek.nl/ into sea monkey and there the page "metaseek" appeared .... I entered search words but ..... no go, wiped out at clicking "zoeken=search".

And another problem: at selecting keyboard setting, USA VAR ALT-INT ..... got "Error" message only.

???

Shep

#547 Post by Shep »

willem1940NLD wrote:I now tried twice, on 2 different rather old computers, 2 downloads for the iso, using this link:

http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/other/ ... eme_v1.iso

Could the copy there be out of order, damaged maybe?
I think you have now sorted out the lack of MENU quandary. :D :D

As for any .iso being corrupted, that's what you use the md5sum for. It verifies that your copy is okay. The developer lists the md5sum on his site, and once you have downloaded a copy, you determine the md5sum of your copy, and the two md5sums should not differ. If they do, discard your copy and download again.

willem1940NLD

#548 Post by willem1940NLD »

Wouldn't know how to handle " checksum" ..... other Linux (e.g SUSE) has them built in the isos and burner checks automatically.

But I happen to have downloaded and installed quite a few puppies, repeated if anything seemed wrong; I think most numbers lower than 431 have comparable bugs as which I seem to stumble on.

Would anybody using this turbopup be willing to try and use metaseek site / search engine ..... and/or set up and use keyboard var usa-alt-int with the many accents? These work fine in my again installed (but slower on old machines, since really needing format ext3 or 4 on system disk for reliable stability ..... I tried ext2 again yesterday and again it broke) 511 lucid lupu.

Roy

#549 Post by Roy »

Wouldn't know how to handle " checksum"
willem1940NLD, in any Linux distro, open a Terminal in the same directory that your xyz.iso file is in and type 'md5sum xyz.iso' into the Terminal (do not use the 's and substitute the full real name of your .iso file for my example of xyz). Hit 'Enter' on your keyboard and it will give you the md5sum -- this should match the md5sum posted on the .iso download site (usually in a separate text file). This tells you that you have the EXACT download as was posted on the internet on your computer.

Then when you burn the CD with Puppy Linux, Puppy's cdrecord gives you the opportunity to verify that the 'burn' was good. Just make sure you give your closed optical drive about ten seconds or more to 'spin up' before trying to do the verification after a burn. A good burn tells you that you have the EXACT data on your disc....

-Roy

willem1940NLD

#550 Post by willem1940NLD »

..... open a Terminal in the same directory that your xyz.iso file is in .....
I believe you (that it would work) but I cannot even visualise what you mean by these words "opening a terminal in a directory"; which will no doubt be clear to people with a certain education or longer study. I stay off terminals and the like, too risky stuff in hands of a n00b ..... did you ever see that movie:
?
8)
Guess a directory is something like a folder ..... no idea how to open a terminal from there. But moreover, I am not acquainted with any system languages so I fear that in my innocence I could not repair an error I might commit.

Most of the past years I had SUSE linux; all their ISOs came with checksum built-in and K3B burner program automatically checked that, as I saw passing.

But again, I do not believe the ISOs (downloaded at least twice) would be wrong - in the same way - all times.

Anyhow, my 511 is working well, though slower than I hoped and I even found a working openoffice-3.3.0.9519_en-US.pet somewhere on Web (I need a program for *.pps files).

Roy

#551 Post by Roy »

willem1940NLD,

I did some digging for you and came up with an old dot-pet that someone else (I think WolfPup) had posted several years ago. (When I see things that are useful, I download them and store them on an external drive -- my own personal repository.)

Here are the instructions for use:
First - test the current behavior. Find an md5 or md5.txt file and click
on it. It opens as text - right, not too useful. Close the text window.

Five mouse clicks to install the new behavior:
1. Click on the link below
2. Select "Open it with the default application (petget)"
3. Click "OK"
4. Click "Install Package"
5. Click "OKAY"
Now the dot-pet is installed. I have found it is always safest to save and reboot at this point, but you might be able to get away with 'Restart X Server' from your shutdown menu without a full reboot at times.

Now, we assume that you have your downloaded .iso and md5sum.txt file in the same directory.... (I ignored the part about the radio buttons.)

EDIT: BEFORE performing the following, I suggest renaming your md5sum.txt file to something like md5sum.sum (a different file extension name) so that you do not lose the default behavior for all of your .txt files. Then use the following to set a default behavior for your newly chosen extension name only. Just be sure to remember your "new" md5sum file naming convention for future use....
Third and final, find an md5 or md5.txt file,
right click on it, Set run action, and in the
box labeled "Enter a shell command:"
add gwbckmd5 to the front
the result should be: gwbckmd5 "$@"

Select the second radio button at the top:
Only for the type `application/
gwbckmd5'(application/gwbckmd5)

Click: Use Command

That's it, now you should be able to click
on md5 or md5.txt files and have the iso checked.

Hope this is useful,

GeoW
I have used this in the past before I knew anything about the Command Line Interface, and just now tested it in Puppy 4.12. Clicking on an md5 file will now show either 'SUCCESS' or 'ERROR'.

-Roy
Attachments
geow_md5_checker-1.5.pet
(997 Bytes) Downloaded 386 times

rickyricardo

#552 Post by rickyricardo »

willem1940NLD wrote:Right .... I now found that I can use menu opened by right mouse click ..... and build my own desktop eventually.

But there seems to be a strange limitation in seamonkey/google in puppies older than 431: it/they cannot find most of the websites I am interested in, especially my preferred site/search engine "metaseek" without which I am rather helpless.

I am now pottering "live" with the Turbopo Xtreme V1.0 CD but, so strange, it seems this stuff can only find sites related to (searchword) "puppy" .... ???

Now things are getting worse, even: I forced www.metaseek.nl/ into sea monkey and there the page "metaseek" appeared .... I entered search words but ..... no go, wiped out at clicking "zoeken=search".

And another problem: at selecting keyboard setting, USA VAR ALT-INT ..... got "Error" message only.

???
I think you have two issues. The SeaMonkey browser has a search box in the upper right that comes configured by default to search the PuppyLinux Murga forum. If that is where you have been searching for things on the internet but getting nothing but Puppy related hits that is why - you can configure SeaMonkey to use Google or any number of other search engines through the Edit/Preferences menu item.

Secondly I entered your metaseek URL in SeaMonkey and got good search results once I 'ALLOWED' that website to run Scripts - click on the S icon in the lower right corner of the browser window and select to ALLOW metaseek to run scripts. The page will reload and from then on it will bring you the results you expect.

Try these suggestions and let us know if that fixes your issues.

Rick in Raleigh

GF0rce

#553 Post by GF0rce »

eeevans616 wrote:You're welcome, but now I need help with a minor problem. It seems mtpaint is hotkeyed to the up arrow on my keyboard and since I'm still a newb with Puppy I have no idea how to fix this. Any help is appreciated.
Not seeing any responses to this, and I've searched all over the place, this is the only thread I've seen the issue referenced in.

Anyone seen this before or can point me in the right direction to fix? Every time I try to back up a few commands in the console I open a bunch of mtpaint screenshots. Very frustrating. Please assist.

sc0ttman

#554 Post by sc0ttman »

GF0rce wrote:
eeevans616 wrote:You're welcome, but now I need help with a minor problem. It seems mtpaint is hotkeyed to the up arrow on my keyboard and since I'm still a newb with Puppy I have no idea how to fix this. Any help is appreciated.
Not seeing any responses to this, and I've searched all over the place, this is the only thread I've seen the issue referenced in.

Anyone seen this before or can point me in the right direction to fix? Every time I try to back up a few commands in the console I open a bunch of mtpaint screenshots. Very frustrating. Please assist.
The hotkey shortcuts are defined in the jwm config files, near the bottom of the file. I think its in '/root/.jwmrc' and '/etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc'.. The latter needs to be updated to keep the changes you make!!

EDIT: You may also want to look in '/root/.jwm/jwm-personal'

Please note these are hidden files, or else in hidden folders, so click the 'Eye' icon on the ROX toolbar to see them.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Shep

#555 Post by Shep »

rickyricardo wrote:
Roy wrote:
I'm waiting for the Linux version of Iron 6 to come out
From the Iron forum:

"We released a Iron for Linux based on Chromium 6 today. The current version is [stable -ed.] 6.0.475.1.

-Roy
I'm very interested in a step-by-step of how to install the latest Iron once someone has figured it out.

Rick in Raleigh
step 1: install Lucid
step 2: install Iron.pet :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=991

When I saw mention of Iron I recalled this thread, though being Lucid may not be much help to users of Turbo Pup.

Nick4

#556 Post by Nick4 »

I've been using Puppy on my old laptop for about 6 months but wanted to give TurboPup a try. Anyhow, I can't get wireless networking to work. I am using a WPC54g v3.1. Other variants of puppy have not been an issue.

When using networking wizard, it lists wireless as eth1, and incorrectly lists my wireless card as a PCI AirForce One Lan controller. Turbo is loading the bcm43xxx module. If I try to load b43 I get no listing for wireless card.

I saw in this thread a few months ago, someone with the handle RTP had the same issue and I didn't see a resolution in the thread. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Roy

#557 Post by Roy »

Nick4,

I *might* be able to assist you, here. But I'm just using my own memory, so the usual caveats apply.

You mention that other variants of Puppy have not been an issue... may I assume that they were all newer versions of Puppy? If they were standard 3.x or 4.x series Puppies, go straight to my second link in this post and follow the 11th post's instructions of that specific thread. Reboot and test. If the versions that worked for you are newer, start right here....x

FIRST, back up your save file so we don't lose any of your work if something goes wrong...... We want to run this as a test before adopting it for daily usage.

In a terminal, type

Code: Select all

lspci
and hit Enter on your keyboard.
Look to see if your wireless is listed as a Broadcom device (Linsys uses several different chipsets that include Broadcom and RaLink, I think).

The lspci command output should include something (but not necessarily EXACTLY) like this:

06:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
IF it is a Broadcom device, try installing this pet in your (kernel 2.6.25.16) Turbopup Xtreme v1.0: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 942#251942

Reboot and run your Connection Wizard. If it works at this point, stop -- no need to fix what isn't broken!

Note that some users have had further difficulties with this driver in Puppy 4.2x... See the thread at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41169 The Broadcom firmware in Puppy 4.2x (Turbopup) is not extracting to the proper location, as it should.

Read that last link's entire thread so that you understand where they are replacing the Broadcom firmware in their Puppy filesystem. A copy of the Broadcom firmware is in the 8th post down of this that thread; the 11th post of the thread tells you where to extract Turbopup's included firmware to, if you don't want to download the forum's firmware file.

EDIT: Rethinking..., AFTER installing the above dot-pet, try extracting the firmware found in your filesystem (without downloading the 8th post file) as outlined in the 11th post as the next test. This will ensure that any firmware (if present) in the dot-pet are used in a proper test -- just in case they are different versions. Resort to the 8th post's file as a last resort, if the previous attempts all fail.

At the end of each change to your filesystem, reboot, and run your wireless connection wizard. Your wireless SHOULD work, ASSUMING that the once-upon-a-time-proprietary Broadcom driver is correct for your specific hardware. (This is why we only wanted to test it, first, before every-day adoption.)

Now, if your wireless card is a RaLink (or something else), someone else will have to jump in here. Posting your lspci output would probably aid in further help, if required.

Oh, and please post your 'lspci' wireless line with a note of success if the above is all correct. That would help others who follow.

Thanks.

-Roy

Nick4

#558 Post by Nick4 »

Thanks for the reply and trying to help. I went through your instructions step by step and still nothing. I installed the pet in your first link, then extracted to the folder suggested in the other link. After reboots, neither of those options worked. I then downloaded the files themselves in the 9th post you referred to and extract them to the proper place and nothing.

I can load the wl module referred to in the first link, but it makes no differnce, and after loading and scanning for new hardware, I am told there is no new hardware.

I hate to sound like a complete newb, but I am having a hard time copying/pasting from terminal emulator. But lspci output does not list hardware of anytype.

Anyhow, I am loving turbo, it's a lot faster on my laptop, but I can only use wifi at work, which is where I use this thing the most. (I'm wired and at home right now.)

Any other ideas?

Roy

#559 Post by Roy »

Nick4,

We really need to know what wireless chip your Linksys card is using.

lspci
had to have returned something .....

That list would tell us.

As a non-expert myself, I vaguely recall that Ctrl-C will copy text from a terminal (can't swear to that). I always use my middle mouse button (press straight down on the scroll wheel) to paste text into a document or forum.

-Roy

Nick4

#560 Post by Nick4 »

When I ran lspci in turbo I just got back a bunch of numbers. I booted into regular puppy and ran lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:09.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems 56k WinModem (rev 01)
00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
00:11.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive (rev 02)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100 (rev 08)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02)
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

Cutting and pasting from terminal is a pain, but thats another story. Anyhow, it looks like Turbo correctly identified my wireless card after all, but I have no idea what to do from here.

Thanks for trying to help, I have been running turbo wired and can not believe how fast Opera 11 is running, it is truly impressive for this old hardware.