Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 17:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 15 [211 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 16:04    Post subject:  

@sage
Hmmm, that's a bit odd to say the least.
Is there perhaps another wary_xxx.sfs already on the Slack partition that is interfering with the boot sequence? Long shot, but I would check it out anyway.

Sage

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 16:20    Post subject:  

Absolutely not. I don't believe in frugals, anyway. But the effect is reproducible. This is a new feature of 098. Shame, because it functions better than ever on most other kit. I am, however, totally confident in this piece of hardware - everything else is rock solid on it.
gjuhasz

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 19:43    Post subject: Asunder crashes  

Selecting Preferences then clicking OK kills Asunder.
See the log file attached
asundercrash.log.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  asundercrash.log.gz 
Filesize  2.2 KB 
Downloaded  350 Time(s) 
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 19:54    Post subject:
Subject description: Oversized menus remain in wary-098

pakt wrote:
Barry, the problem with the savefile/xorgwizard menu extending below the edge of the screen is still present in wary-098.

Your mod in rc.country, “FONTMAP='’ #101112“, doesn’t blank the variable for some strange reason. The contents of /etc/fontmap is still “lat1-12.psfu”.

I modified rc.country with shinobar’s fix, “#echo -n “$FONTMAP” > /etc/fontmap”, and that solved the problem. Now /etc/fontmap doesn’t exist and the savefile/xorgwizard menus are correct.

I’ll do some limited testing to see if not setting the fontmap variable has any effect on running wary in Swedish.

It is probably an unnecessary question, but did you boot pristine, with "pfix=ram" if necessary, so as not to use an old save file?

glenco

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 20:06    Post subject: NO CARRIER  

Bummer Sad
The same as 096, 098 finds my Pctel internal modem but finds NO CARRIER when it tries to dial.
-> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATX3DT9083735
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX3DT9083735
NO CARRIER
ERROR
--> No Carrier! Trying again.
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX3DT9083735
NO CARRIER
ERROR
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX3DT9083735
NO CARRIER
ERROR
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX3DT9083735
NO CARRIER
ERROR
pmodemdiag-20101114.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  pmodemdiag-20101114.tar.gz 
Filesize  24.7 KB 
Downloaded  288 Time(s) 
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 20:41    Post subject:

pakt wrote:
Barry, the problem with the savefile/xorgwizard menu extending below the edge of the screen is still present in wary-098.

Your mod in rc.country, “FONTMAP='’ #101112“, doesn’t blank the variable for some strange reason. The contents of /etc/fontmap is still “lat1-12.psfu”.

I modified rc.country with shinobar’s fix, “#echo -n “$FONTMAP” > /etc/fontmap”, and that solved the problem. Now /etc/fontmap doesn’t exist and the savefile/xorgwizard menus are correct.

I’ll do some limited testing to see if not setting the fontmap variable has any effect on running wary in Swedish.

Sometimes I'm really dumb. I put that FONTMAP='' in the wrong place in /etc/rc.d/rc.country. Fixed.

rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 22:10    Post subject:  

glenco,
Thanks for the diag file. The mention of "PCTel" threw me off for a while, expecting the problem to be related to the pctel driver, which it is not.

Your internal modem uses a chip that has three drivers claiming it. It requires a second boot, after puppy reports no modem found. I have implemented logic to sort that out, but I think it is messed up in the transition to the modprobe.d files. I will work up a fix and post it soon, for you to test. I hope you can stick with me until we get it right, for the final.
Richard
glenco

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 23:18    Post subject:  

rerwin
Thanks Smile I should have mentioned that this is a DELL oem PCTEL modem in this laptop.
Windows reports this modem as:
[ Modems / PCTEL 2304WT V.92 MDC Modem ]

Device Properties:

Driver Description PCTEL 2304WT V.92 MDC Modem

Driver Date 11/21/2002

Driver Version 2.50.43.0

Driver Provider PCtel

INF File oem8.inf

Hardware ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2486&SUBSYS_4C21134D&REV_02

Location Information PCI bus 0, device 31, function 6

PCI Device Intel 82801CAM ICH3-M - AC'97 Modem Controller [B-1]

Device Resources:

IRQ 05

Port D400-D4FF

Port DC00-DC7F

And Puppy 4.21 only uses the snd_intel8x0 & snd_intel8x0m modules??
No slamr is loaded at all.
James C

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 23:26    Post subject:  

Another fresh manual frugal install of Wary 098,this time on my P4 test box.Initial boot had working sound and internet as well as the correct screen resolution.

The video upgrade wizard will not download on this install either....I just went to the repo and downloaded the Mesa package.

After clicking the button to download the Mesa package it's only about 1 or 2 seconds before the install dialog appears...... not enough time to download the package.

Anyway,

VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 098

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 512MB (241MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.09
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 14 Nov 2010 09:23:59 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov 2010, 03:09    Post subject:  

New day, double check.
Yup, 098 doesn't work on this system.
All previous and all other distros work just fine (at least up to res/etc selection).
Clearly there is an issue here.
pakt

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov 2010, 03:28    Post subject:

BarryK wrote:
Sometimes I'm really dumb. I put that FONTMAP='' in the wrong place in /etc/rc.d/rc.country. Fixed.

Well, you’re certainly smarter than me. I can’t see why your previous fix doesn’t work (but that's probably why you're the Puppy guru and I just manage to find a fault or two Wink ).

shinobar

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov 2010, 08:08    Post subject: Grub4DosConfig BUG  

Thanks Karl Godt.
Found the version 1.6.0 makes Improper entry for full install with Wary-098 and in some case with Puppy 5.x. Please upgrade to the new v1.6.1.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697
Your feed back is welcome.

Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov 2010, 18:34    Post subject: Has anyone made ATi Catalyst work under Wary?  

Has anyone got ati_fglrx-10.10-k2.6.31.14-w5.pet (in the PPM repository) working? I suspect that it is too new for Wary's Xorg 7.3+ and I'll have to compile fglrx 9.8 if I want Catalyst.
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov 2010, 19:52    Post subject: "Pctel" built-in modem handling fixed
Subject description: and other cleanups

Thanks to glenco for getting me to focus on his built-in modem problem. I ended up cleaning up my code for that. A quick fix for that is the following edit command:
Code:
sed -i -e 's/slamr:intel8x0m/slamr:snd_intel8x0m/' /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG
If that alone does not help, the attached update package should.

The package also cleans up some 'loose ends":

1. start_cpu_freq - Avoids error message on old PCs without a BIOS display capability.

2. 10alsa - Adds "-s" parameter to grep of alsa_cards.conf, to avoid error message if no such file present on old PCs.

3. MODULESCONFIG - Corrects preference for slamr module.

4. rc.services - Inserted 1-second wait before running any init script, to allow/ensure that loading of all modules gets initiated. Deleted the 3-second "gross workaround" for loading to complete, which is no longer necessary because the more precise 'protect' function is used to determine when or whether a module completes loading.

5. 51-modprobe-usbserial.rules - Added detection of Huawei E160E, which is not yet in the usb_modeswitch data base or rules. (muggins)

6. Firmware tarballs for HSF and HCFPCI drivers - Corrected scripts and conf-file names to ensure correct ordering of particular modprobe.d statements. This plus the preference patch restores built-in modem functioning.

7. modemprobe_erase - Synchonized to new HSF/HCFPCI conf-file names, per tarballs.

8. pupdial - Updated label to "Phone/Access number". (nap44)

UPDATE 11/16/2010: Re-uploaded package as "-2" because it now fixes the HSF/HCF modem lockup when attempting to connect. Be sure to use pupdial's CHOOSE > ERASE after installation, to complete the correction with the next boot-up.

UPDATE 11/17/2010: Re-uploaded package "-2" after download number 3, to update pupdial. It now disables the "connect" buttons if the modem is ttySHSF? or ttySHCF? and the corresponding "nvm" directory is missing. Although the user could do nothing about it, pupdial prevents a connection attempt that would result in a locked-up PC.

UPDATE 11/17/2010: Re-uploaded the package as "-3" because it adds a change to the usb-modem mode switcher, so that it does not indicate completion if it encounters temporary conditions that prevent it from performing. A subsequent invocation might find those conditions no longer true, permitting mode switching.

UPDATE 11/18/2010: Uploaded "-4", which adds an attempt to prevent missed sound cards on some boot-ups. It also has some trace logging for troubleshooting the "ALSA-2barks" issue.

UPDATE 11/19/2010: Uploaded "-5", which fixes firmware timeout when "module hack" (for rt8139cp) is performed.

UPDATE 11/23/2010: Uploaded "-6-delta" to be installed after the "-5" package. This addresses the CD-boot Welcome-woofwoof problem reported by Barry. The underlying problem was with the busybox-depmod-generated modules.dep file, which does not screen out the ".koHIDE" suffix. Changing the suffix to ".HIDE" allowed the agrmodem and intelmodem variants to appear as designed. And the welcoming woofwoof is restored!

UPDATE 11/24/2010: Added the pupdial HCF fix to the "6-delta" package after download number 3. Also added a modeswitch rule for Barry's and muggins' Vodaphone/Huawei E160E wireless modems. (The rule for loading the driver is in "-5".)

UPDATE 11/25/2010: I hope this is my last replacement of "-6". I have fixed 3 items:
1. Removed the rules for E160E modem mode-switching and driver loading.
2. Changed the usbserial (3G modem) initialization script to choose the higher-numbered ttyUSB port if two (or more) are found.
3. Improved pusbmodem's implementation of retaining information on mode switches, so a device can be loaded even if its mode is not switched.

UPDATE 11/26/2010: To keep my promise to not re-upload "-6-delta". I am attaching a supplemental fix package, "-6-delta-pusbmodeswx", to make the soon-to-be-obsolete (I hope) pusbmodeswitch script compatible with its zzz-package replacement. This version resumes using the "standard" modeswitch database directory, but also handles a database tarball if present.
Richard
modem_update_to_wary098-woof-6-delta-pusbmodeswx.pet
Description  pusbmodeswitch updated to restore using the /etc/usb_modeswitch directory.
pet

Download 
Filename  modem_update_to_wary098-woof-6-delta-pusbmodeswx.pet 
Filesize  3.5 KB 
Downloaded  303 Time(s) 
modem_update_to_wary098-woof-6-delta.pet
Description  Supplement to the "-5" package.
Corrects Agere/Intel variant "hide" names to avoid busybox depmod corruption.
Removes ALSA debug logging, but retains "event-gated" pacing of startup.
pet

Download 
Filename  modem_update_to_wary098-woof-6-delta.pet 
Filesize  30.57 KB 
Downloaded  299 Time(s) 
modem_update_to_wary098-woof-5.pet
Description  Miscellaneous cleanups, particularly for built-in modems.
PLUS: Correction of HSF/HCF modem system lockup!
PLUS: USB modeswitch pacing improvement
PLUS: ALSA fix for no sound card detected, logging for 2barks absence
PLUS: Possible fix for zekebaby's soun
pet

Download 
Filename  modem_update_to_wary098-woof-5.pet 
Filesize  354.62 KB 
Downloaded  341 Time(s) 

Last edited by rerwin on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 13:47; edited 14 times in total
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov 2010, 20:17    Post subject: Modem driver misbehavior - slusb, slamr, hsfmodem  

Now the bad news. The above drivers fail as follows:

1. hsfmodem (hsfpcibasic2) - locks up the computer while starting a connection. This is the hybrid version, so I plan to compile and try the "full" version to isolate the problem, somewhat.
UPDATE 11/17/2010: Solved! The driver is OK, but a directory it needs was in the wrong place. Fixed by package here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=467639#467639

2. slamr - For a built-in (8086:2486) modem, when connecting, retries on "no carrier" response indefinitely!

3. slusb - Spews trace messages and fails to set up its port, but does not kill the PC. I attach the message log as evidence, in case someone can make sense of it.

EDIT: I think support for the SL USB modem has stopped, due to a proprietary code issue. The recent SL driver packages do not generate the slusb module.

So far, my DGC/ACM USB modem and PCtel, ESS and Lucent PCI modems work. I assume the Ageres and Intels still do, but have not verified with 098.
Richard
messages-SL_USB_modem.tar.gz
Description  Message log from boot-up with only a SmartLink USB modem plugged in.
gz

Download 
Filename  messages-SL_USB_modem.tar.gz 
Filesize  7.5 KB 
Downloaded  315 Time(s) 

Last edited by rerwin on Wed 24 Nov 2010, 00:22; edited 2 times in total
Page 4 of 15 [211 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: