Anybody tried JACK or low-latency (for audio?)

Booting, installing, newbie
toddyjoe

Anybody tried JACK or low-latency (for audio?)

#1 Post by toddyjoe »

I have been playing around with turning my Pupply 1.0.8r1 into an audio/MIDI setup. I dual-boot with Windows 98 SE and currently use Windows for all of the usual audio and MIDI stuff like ASIO support and VST plug-ins. However, I have been trying to get some cross-over to Linux in the hopes of better, lower latency on older computers. I know Linux has some future potential with ALSA, low-latency kernel patches, JACK, etc.

So far, I have managed to try stuff like Rosegarden and Timidity on Puppy. I have also managed to use Wine to play VST plug-ins through Savihost. Next come soundfonts and other plug-in hosts. However, the biggest issue so far looks to be latency. With Windows, I had horrible latency on my old laptop with the native Windows sound setup (includig MME) until I upgraded to Windows 98 SE to get ASIO to work. Using Wine and Savihost, I am back to the latency problems because I cannot get ASIO to work and can only use the original, high-latency sound setup.

Obviously, Puppy 1.0.8r1 comes with ALSA but I am not sure if it has the low-latency patches. I assume not? I think I could download some on the Internet for the 2.4.29 kernel and patch them. Anybody tried to install JACK either directly or in the form of a dotpup? I am slowly researching the JACK installation and figuring out how to go about doing it. I would love to hear of other folks who have been there and done that already. Thanks in advance for any comments!

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

I have Jack running alongside Ardour and Audacity in Grafpup right now, in the form of a special multimedia squashfile. There is a beta release available for testing, and the full release is due very soon alongside Grafpup-103. Joey Cagle is working on adding support for a couple other audio applications like Hydrogen (drum machine). For details check the news page and forum at grafpup.com.

Much of the packaging should work out of the box on a standard Puppy, but in particular the video editor Kino will not, since it needs a newer GTK with Cairo. I don't think there would be any issues with the audio applications.

As for the low latency patches, no they are not in our kernel. Puppy uses an almost pristine 2.4 kernel that is patched just for squashfilsystem support and one other patch, that I can't remember right now. This would be a welcome project, and one I considered doing myself at some point. Right now I'm pretty short on time though.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#3 Post by Nathan F »

I have Jack running alongside Ardour and Audacity in Grafpup right now, in the form of a special multimedia squashfile. There is a beta release available for testing, and the full release is due very soon alongside Grafpup-103. Joey Cagle is working on adding support for a couple other audio applications like Hydrogen (drum machine). For details check the news page and forum at grafpup.com.

Much of the packaging should work out of the box on a standard Puppy, but in particular the video editor Kino will not, since it needs a newer GTK with Cairo. I don't think there would be any issues with the audio applications.

As for the low latency patches, no they are not in our kernel. Puppy uses an almost pristine 2.4 kernel that is patched just for squashfilsystem support and one other patch, that I can't remember right now. This would be a welcome project, and one I considered doing myself at some point. Right now I'm pretty short on time though.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

toddyjoe

#4 Post by toddyjoe »

I will have to download that multimedia squashfile as soon as I have an opportunity for an extended dial-up session. The inclusion of Ardour and Audacity is a nice additional touch.

As far as the low-latency patches, I might have a go at them as soon as I get more comfortable with the patch process. I am still learning Linux right now so everything takes me three times as long as many users. :)