Beryl-0.2.1 for puppy 4.3

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
akash_rawal

Beryl-0.2.1 for puppy 4.3

#1 Post by akash_rawal »

Note: A better package is available at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 902#508902. Use that instead.
I have compiled Beryl window manager along with Emerald and all dependencies and made it available here.
Warning: This package has been tested with very few computers. It may not work with all computers. Also, it works well with only Puppy-4.3.x.
Installation instructions:
Step 1: Install related packages
Dependencies: Recommended packages: Step 2: Setup your computer for Beryl
  • 1. If you are using Xvesa, then you must switch to Xorg server by opening terminal, typing "xserverwizard" and then choosing "Xorg".
    2. Restart X server by selecting Menu>Shutdown>Restart X server.
Step 3: Install Beryl
  • 1. Now install my package: Beryl-0.2.1-6-SINGLE_GO-p43-i686.pet and follow on-screen instructions.
    2. If you have not installed any desktop environment, then before rebooting you must-
    • a. right-click on any desktop icon, then from the right-click menu select ROX-Filer>Options.
      b. Then from the window that appears select "Window manager problems" in the left pane.
      c. Uncheck "Override window manager controls of pinboard and panels" and click close button.
If everything went right, then after rebooting, beryl-manager tray icon will appear in the taskbar. You will be able to enjoy visual effects provided by Beryl and transparent window borders provided by Emerald.
You can change settings through Beryl Settings Manager (Menu>System>Beryl Settings Manager). You can change window borders using Emerald Theme Manager (Menu>Desktop> Emerald Theme Manager).

Step 4: (Optional) Set up MIME type for emerald themes
  • 1. Open the file "/usr/share/mime/globs" using a text editor.
    2. Add this line at the beginning of the file :

Code: Select all

application/x-emerald-theme:*.emerald

3. Now save the file.
Now emerald themes can be installed easily by just clicking ( or double-clicking ) on the theme files.

Troubleshooting:
Problem: Graphical user interface doesn't start.
Solution: In commandline type "xconfigure --restore". Then try typing "xwin". This removes changes made to /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. But after that Beryl will not start.

Problem: Taskbar is not present.
Solution: In Beryl, taskbar is not there. You have to install one. You can find fbpanel and lxpanel in Puppy package manager.

Problem: Beryl Settings Manager does not work.
Solution: If you are using Puppy 430 then try installing service_pack-430-to-431.pet. If this does not work, check your pupsave.2fs file for errors.
Last edited by akash_rawal on Wed 30 Mar 2011, 10:38, edited 9 times in total.

jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

Tested and working great on Puppeee. Nice Job! This is going to be a lot of fun. I'll probably repackage it with glxdock.

akash_rawal

#3 Post by akash_rawal »

jemimah wrote:Tested and working great on Puppeee. Nice Job...
Thanks for testing my package.
jemimah wrote:I'll probably repackage it with glxdock.
I recommend don't repackage this package. I am going to recompile and upload a better package for Beryl which will work with all versions of puppy 4 and will also have many improvements in post-install and post-uninstall scripts. Expect it to be uploaded around April 2011. You may repackage that instead.
Let me also see how glxdock looks on puppy, along with Beryl!

jemimah

#4 Post by jemimah »

Well I'd repackage it only because some of the libraries you packaged conflict with ones in Puppeee.

It would be awesome if you'd document what you had to do to get everything to compile correctly. I've tried building compiz in the past, but never had success with it.

akash_rawal

#5 Post by akash_rawal »

jemimah wrote:Well I'd repackage it only because some of the libraries you packaged conflict with ones in Puppeee.
Now I understood that you wanted to repackage it for puppeee instead of puppy 4. You may repackage it then. But I would recommend recompiling it for puppeee.
jemimah wrote:It would be awesome if you'd document what you had to do to get everything to compile correctly. I've tried building compiz in the past, but never had success with it.
It was difficult to get source packages of Beryl compiled in Puppy.

I compiled everything with prefix=/usr paramater in Puppy 430 with service_pack-430-to-431.pet installed. I downloaded devx_431.sfs, renamed it to devx_430.sfs and loaded it.

I had to download all sources from rpm.pbone.net in form of *.src.rpm files.

Then I followed following steps-
1. First I installed all dependencies for beryl-core-0.2.1 source package, i.e. libxcomposite-0.4.1 and libxdamage-1.1.2. They got compiled without a fuss.
2. beryl-core-0.2.1 didn't compile straightaway. I had to do the following-
a. I had to comment out definition for "raise" in /usr/include/signal.h . It conflicts with one in the source program.
b. I downloaded libx11.la, libxau.la and libxdmcp.la files from ttuuxxx's library database and copied them to /usr/lib directory.
Only then it agreed to get compiled.
3. beryl-manager-0.2.1 got compiled without any problem.
4. For compiling beryl-plugins-0.2.1 I had to install dbus and dbus-glib from source. But since I couldn't get dbus to work I removed dbus plugin after installing by deleting libdbus.so .
5. I installed python_for_CCSM.pet and then pyrex-0.9.8.5 in order to get beryl-settings-backends-0.2.1 compiled.
6. I had to manually generate pygtk-2.0.pc and copy it to /usr/lib/pkgconfig using pygtk-2.0.pc file from a binary meant for arch linux to get beryl-settings-0.2.1 compiled.
7. emerald-0.2.1, libwnck-2.16.2 and emerald-themes-0.2.1 got compiled without a fuss.

Now Beryl got installed, now for configuration-
1. I commented out the line

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
in /etc/profile .
2. Then I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf as per tombh's post. For your convinience a fully automatic xorg.conf editing program is present in my package, as /usr/bin/xorgedit . Just execute it, it will do everything automatically.
3. I could not get beryl-manager to start beryl straightaway. If you type "xwin beryl-manager" after exiting Xorg, Xorg will shut down in no time. So I have used a workaround. See /usr/bin/beryl-start executable in my package to know what I have done. Typing "xwin beryl-start" does not cause Xorg to exit. But before starting Beryl you must reboot your computer.

Note that this information is relevent for puppy 4.3 only. For puppeee the instructions and dependencies may be different. Just remember do not give up at any compiling error. Try to understand them' you may come up with a workaround of your own.
Actually I have never used puppeee!

I had tried compiling compiz fusion 0.7.8 about a year ago, but gave up even before compiling it because of too many dependencies.

In return, may I know on which hardware did you test my package?
Also, can you tell me why people say that one should install a desktop environment like GNOME, KDE or XFCE before installing beryl or compiz?

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

I tested on several different intel cards - worked fine on all of them.

Thanks for the documentation.

I think it was compiz fusion and also mutter I tried before - I got it to compile but it ran slow as molasses in January.

akash_rawal

#7 Post by akash_rawal »

jemimah wrote: I tested on several different intel cards - worked fine on all of them.
Thanks for information.
jemimah wrote: I got it to compile but it ran slow as molasses in January.
Yes, compiz is like that : I have recently tried gray's package for compiz-0.8.4. It made my computer extraordinarily slow.

jemimah

#8 Post by jemimah »

Wow it took forever to track down those old sources. No trouble compiling. I never would have figured out the at ARGB_VISUAL thing in /etc/profile. I suppose that's what was messing up my previous attempts at blingy stuff.

I built the latest glxdock and it works pretty well. I've already patched it a little for Puppy - probably more patches to come as some of the applets won't work without modifications.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Wow it took forever to track down those old sources
I need the Bling
Must have wobbly windows
:oops:
OK better have a lie down and an injection . . .

Is Beryl now Compiz?
Thanks guys. Gonna put James Bond 007 version of Fluppy on USB
Then await Beryl SFS from HQ
:)

Puppy Linux
We haz bling
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jemimah

#10 Post by jemimah »

Beryl predates compiz fusion, but seems to have most of the good features and less bloat. Also I think it's a lot faster - but I need to try to build compiz again to make sure.

The source code for Beryl dates from 2007 but Glxdock is the latest and greatest version.

akash_rawal

#11 Post by akash_rawal »

jemimah,

Your screenshot of glxdock is very nice. I will try it out soon.
Anyways, how did you manage to get the blur plugin work? In my puppy 430 the blur plugin doesn't function properly:
The following is the terminal output when blur plugin is enabled:

No framebuffer_object support! (only simple Blur aviable).

But the same binary works well in lucid puppy 511 ( except emerald theme manager, which crashes as soon as theme is changed ).
Also I couldn't get emerald work in puppy 412. It first states that libgio-2.0.so.0 is missing. After copying relevant files form puppy 430 and compiling libwnck afresh in puppy 412 it works, but on changing theme it crashes with a Segmentation fault.
Beryl-manager also refuses to work in puppy 412 for no reason. It doesn't even show any error message.
I am searching for a solution. As soon as I find it I will upload a new package for beryl compatible for both puppy 4 and lucid puppy 5.

akash_rawal

No solution found

#12 Post by akash_rawal »

I couldn't find any solutions to the above problem. Anyways I uploaded a newer package here.
I have made following improvements:
1. Now the package is also compatible with lucid puppy 5.
2. Several bugs in various scripts removed.
3. Now there is no need to reboot computer, restarting X is enough.
4. User feedback is no longer needed to verify whether 3d acceleration is present.
5. Installation failure detection in emerald theme installer added.
6. Fixed ROX-Filer's suspicion about emerald theme mimetype while installing emerald theme first time.
7. ROX-Filer settings are changed automatically.