Dialup/Wireless Modem Upgrade Packages for Puppy 4.3+

peebee

#81 Post by peebee »

Just click on them............in the order suggested

peebee

Agere in wary092

#82 Post by peebee »

Hi Richard

I have reported in Barry's blog that the wrong version of agrmodem.ko is being loaded for me in wary092....

/lib/modules/k2.6.34.6/agrmodem/active is apparently correctly linked to 11c11040 but it is the 048pci modules that are being loaded....casuing modem-stats to crash

Cheers
Peter

robotz

#83 Post by robotz »

Ok, I have made burned a new CD and deleted the two files on hard drive then reinstalled and installed the .pet files. Now unfortunately I get the error message at the top of the dial-up window "Warning! No modem detected. You cannot dial out."

rerwin

#84 Post by rerwin »

robotz,
Assuming the packages are installed as peebee instructed, when you boot up and see the "no modem" message, click on the "Internet by dialup..." icon in the connect wizard to start pupdial. In pupdial, click on "CHOOSE" and then on "ERASE" and "Okay", then EXIT pupdial and reboot.

Although this seems unnecessary (since there is no selected modem to "erase"), it will cause a script to run to select the appropriate driver for your modem. Then reboot again.

If you still get "no modem", the next step is for us to examine diagnostic data. At that point, please open a console (the monitor icon at the top of your desktop) and enter the command:

pmodemdiag

That will place a pmodemdiag...tar.gz file in your root directory. Please attach that to a post to this thread, or PM it to me if you prefer. Let's hope it just works, so you can skip the diag file.
Richard

robotz

#85 Post by robotz »

Ok, I have done that then I burned another CD and tried the whole process over again from the start to make sure I hadn't made any mistakes. Still no luck so the diagnostic file is attached to this post.

Shep

#86 Post by Shep »

I'd appreciate it if someone who knows modems would give an opinion of this dialog. What might I try changing next? (Signal strength is good, and the modem works in Windows.) I'm totally out of my depth with modems, so am desperate for any help.

The modem string is just whatever came up. Port detection is not consistent, so I set that in wvdial.conf. Do I need to run setserial before running wvdial? Was using Lucid for this.

# Prior to wvdial, I execute: ln /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/modem
# unplug the modem twice, and
# cp wvdial.bak /etc/wvdial.conf

Code: Select all

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &d2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &d2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATX1DT*99***1#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX1DT*99***1#
NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATX1DT*99***1#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATX1DT*99***1#
NO CARRIER

rerwin

#87 Post by rerwin »

Shep,
Because I spend my limited time trying to make puppy handle any modem issues thrown at it, I cannot debug individual "backlevel" problems. Please try Wary 0.9.4, which has the latest in modem developments. If you have problems with that, I will help you resolve them. If we find any bugs, my fixing them will benefit many. Thanks for posting your situation. Wary might take care of it.
Richard

BarryK
Puppy Master

#88 Post by BarryK »

Yes, my effort is going into getting Wary working nicely with dialup modems.

The most recent Wary is 0.9.4, and rerwin has posted some extra PETs on the Wary 0.9.4 feedback thread here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61304

See also my blog for progress reports:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewCat=Wary

Note, I will probably be uploading another Wary (095?) about the 8th of this month.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Shep

#89 Post by Shep »

BarryK wrote:Yes, my effort is going into getting Wary working nicely with dialup modems.

The most recent Wary is 0.9.4, and rerwin has posted some extra PETs on the Wary 0.9.4 feedback thread here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61304
I'll post over there, then.

potong

#90 Post by potong »

Here is a brief "howto" on connecting to the internet using Three (UK) wireless modem and Connect and PupDial.
BTW I'm using 4.3.1 frugal install

The hardware can be identified by opening a terminal:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices 
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#=  3 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=19d2 ProdID=0031 Rev= 0.00
S:  Manufacturer=ZTE,Incorporated
S:  Product=ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM
S:  SerialNumber=P673A3H3GD010000
# 
I downloaded and installed the five pets from the first page of this thread:Then did the following:
  • 1) Clicked on the Connect desktop icon
    2) On the following dialog clicked on the first button "Internet by dialup analog or wireless modem"
    • NB my wireless modem port had already been detected (ttyUSB2)!
    3) On the following dialog clicked yes to probe modem
    4) On the following dialog clicked yes to probe for modem initialization string
    5) On the following dialog clicked ttyUSB2 (for good measure)
    6) This returned the same dialog to which I:
    • a) Entered *99***1# for the phone number
      b) Checked stupid mode
      c) Clicked connect
Fanfare of trumpets, I now had a working internet connection!!

Many thanks to rerwin

HTH

Potong
Last edited by potong on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#91 Post by rerwin »

potong,
Thanks for spelling out how to use 4.3.1 for wireless modems. You are exactly right, except that step 5 is unnecessary. And if the name of that button is not the same as the currently selected/detected port, you could get a surprising result. Pupdial would try the other port and either select it or leave the same selection. That is for unusual situations. Obviously, in your case it does no harm.
Richard

potong

#92 Post by potong »

rerwin:

Out of interest, does the dev# on the T: line of /proc/bus/usb/devices refer to ttyUSBn?

In my case dev#=3, therefore starting from zero would mean ttyUSB2, correct?

I ask because I repeated the steps in my howto and sometimes the port is not detected at all or detected incorrectly i.e. ziltch or ttyUSB1.
When the port was detected as ttyUSB1 the button was correctly identified as ttyUSB2.
I guess my first attempts must have been lucky.

When this happened I re-probed until the port and the button were both the same i.e. ttyUSB2.
Then everything was hunky dory.

Can one manually (via the command line) get puppy to re-probe the usb devices?

Potong

bignono1

#93 Post by bignono1 »

Installed all 5 pets ,probed modem and it was detected
input all numbers.
Trying connect i get: voice line detected .Trying again.
sending : ATDT*99# (tried *99***#1 but no luck).
waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
ERROR
If i type wvdial in terminal i get:
modem initialized
configuration does not specify a valid phone number.
configuration does not specify a valid login name.
configuration does not specify a valid password.
Please help.

bignono1

#94 Post by bignono1 »

Changed user name ,password and APN , all pps
now i get : Bad init string .

rerwin

#95 Post by rerwin »

bignono1
bignono1 wrote:Installed all 5 pets ,probed modem and it was detected
input all numbers.
Trying connect i get: voice line detected .Trying again.
sending : ATDT*99# (tried *99***#1 but no luck).
waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
ERROR
If i type wvdial in terminal i get:
modem initialized
configuration does not specify a valid phone number.
configuration does not specify a valid login name.
configuration does not specify a valid password.
Please help.
Welcome to this thread. First, *99***#1 should be *99***1#, with the "#" last. I can help only if you remain working with pupdial and do not improvise workarounds.

My approach is - rather than asking questions of the user - for the user to capture diagnostic information at the point where things are not right. That way, I can probably see where things went wrong. These modems can behave erratically, so the challenge is to keep up with that as people report problems. Getting the modem started is an intricate process that can fail in several ways.

You can capture the info by running pmodemdiag in a console and posting or PMing the pmodemdiag...tar.gz file it creates in your main directory (home/file icon on desktop).

Eagerly awaiting your diag file.
Richard

bignono1

#96 Post by bignono1 »

Thank you Richard, the file is attached.

rerwin

#97 Post by rerwin »

bignono1,
Thanks for the diag file. I see that you are not setting "stupid mode", which apparently is essential. Then, you may need to set the APN (which I don't see). Other that those, everything looks normal.

If that still does not work, please do not disconnect when you see the problem, but bring up a console and enter "pmodemdiag" (w/o quotes) to get a diag file. That way I can see the pupdial log that you see. When pmodemdiag completes, only then you should disconnect and exit pupdial.
Richard

bignono1

#98 Post by bignono1 »

Thank you Richard ,
I did try stupid mode many times since i am good only in stupid modes put even those did outputed stupid and helpless,
so please keep up the good spirit and ignore my stupidness and see it as my only good advantage , sometimes being stupid is better than being mean.
Thanks again mate , you and this forum and all the puppians here are great .

jemimah

#99 Post by jemimah »

I just bought a new modem because my husband dropped the old one and wrecked it. I got the Sierra Shockwave (USB 308). I've owned two other sierra modems, and they worked without usb_modeswitch. This one however, is either different, or newer than kernel 2.6.35.7.

I ran pmodemdiag and saw the the device id was not recognized by usb_modeswitch. So I copied the config file from another device id and tried to modify it - but that didn't work.

This is on Puppeee4.4Beta4 which I added the latest patches.

Any ideas?

cthisbear

#100 Post by cthisbear »

" Any ideas? "

Shoot husband???

Chris.