Installing sshfs on Puppy 5.1.1

Booting, installing, newbie
Gander22h

Installing sshfs on Puppy 5.1.1

#1 Post by Gander22h »

I am relatively new to using Puppy, but have a bit of experience using Ubuntu over the past three years.

I am trying to install sshfs networking on an Acer Aspire 150 netbook running Puppy 5.1.1 from a USB so it can connect with Ubuntu PCs on the network also running sshfs. Right now the sshfs network runs fine between Ubuntu PCs.

Previous versions of Puppy came with sshfs available in the Puppy Package Manager and I had successfully installed it from there and networked to Ububtu machines in the past (although not to Puppy machines, didn't figure out the addressing in). Puppy 5.1.1 seems to lack sshfs in the Puppy Package Manager.

I did find this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 32&t=40788 from April 2009 and followed the instructions there, downloaded the sshfs 2.2 tarball from http://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse/files/sshfs-fuse/, successfully converted it to a .pet file using tgz2pet from the command line and installed it. The Puppy Package Manager shows that it is installed.

However when I try to connect to another PC on the network using the command line

Code: Select all

sshfs user@pc: ~/User
format it returns:

bash: sshfs command not found
I am sure that I am missing something simple here. Can anybody indicate how to get this working?

One request, I am no command line expert, but if you give me complete command line entries I can input them. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Gander22h

#2 Post by Gander22h »

In doing some more reading at http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html it occurred to me that even though past versions of Puppy just required adding SSHFS from the Puppy Package Manager that perhaps the current Puppy 5.1.1 doesn't include FUSE which is required to run SSHFS.

So I downloaded the FUSE tarball from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=132802 and used successfully converted it to a .pet file using tgz2pet from the command line and installed it as well. It shows up on the PPM as installed.

However SSHFS still doesn't work, it is still returning

bash: sshfs command not found
Now I am really getting out of my depth here. http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html indicates that SSHFS requires compiling, although I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that converting it into a .pet file removed that need to compile it first.

So does it need to be compiled before converting into a .PET, or instead of converting it? If so how is that done, the instructions on the SSHFS website are completely inadequate for beginners "compile sshfs the usual way".

Any help would be appreciated.

aragon

#3 Post by aragon »

hi Gander22h,

you're correctly assuming that sshfs needs to be compiled. As the tarball you're linking is a source-package and not a precompiled binary-package, tgz2pet won't help, as it only converts the tarball to a pet-package without compiling.

You could try the attached pet, but i don't know if it will work for you, as it is compiled with puppy 4.31 and not lupu.

aragon
Attachments
sshfs-fuse-2.2.pet
(29.73 KiB) Downloaded 845 times

Gander22h

#4 Post by Gander22h »

Thank you very much for that! I downloaded it, clicked on it and it installs and works perfectly! I was able to connect sshfs out to other Ubuntu PCs on the network.

Three questions, if you are able to answer any of them:

Is this file available in the repositories somewhere, or just here on the forum?

Are there detailed step-by-step instructions somewhere on how to take a tarball, compile it and turn it into a .pet file? That would be incredibly useful information for users new to Puppy.

I don't suppose you know how to connect to a Puppy box from a different PC via sshfs, since there is no user account name nor PC name?

aragon

#5 Post by aragon »

nice, that it works.
Gander22h wrote: Is this file available in the repositories somewhere, or just here on the forum?
files that are posted here are (mostly) not in any repo, as they are 'unofficial'.
Are there detailed step-by-step instructions somewhere on how to take a tarball, compile it and turn it into a .pet file? That would be incredibly useful information for users new to Puppy.
no step-by-step, but a base:
http://puppylinux.com/development/compileapps.htm

more step-by-step
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35507
I don't suppose you know how to connect to a Puppy box from a different PC via sshfs, since there is no user account name nor PC name?
there is a user account, "root" . it's default-pw is "woofwoof". a pcname i don't know atm, could be "puppypc" or "puppy-pc" but you should be able to use the pc's ipadress.

good luck
aragon

Gander22h

#6 Post by Gander22h »

Danke, very much for all that help!

I did try connecting in from another PC via SSHFS using puppypc as the computer name (the router says that is its name) and neither that nor the local network IP address produced anything better than

Connection reset by peer
I'll have to work on that one some more.

aragon

#7 Post by aragon »

well you can find lots of that stuff with google, but an even simpler question comes up: have you installed a ssh-server on your puppy-system? because without that, you can't connect to your puppy-box via ssh.

if not, look here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... =588755928

aragon

Gander22h

#8 Post by Gander22h »

We are thinking exactly on the same lines, two way communication on an SSHFS network requires: SSHFS, FUSE, SSH-client to get out and SSH-server to get in. It would be great if there were an easy way on Puppy to check to see what packages are installed!

Gander22h

#9 Post by Gander22h »

I tried that link on the post but the link was broken. I did find "openssh-5.3p1-p4.pet" on ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... ackages-4/ but that didn't solve it.

aragon

#10 Post by aragon »

From memory i would say that this is only the client part of ssh. You could check that in the package manager.

I will look for another server-package...

Aragon

Gander22h

#11 Post by Gander22h »

I hate to ask, but how do you determine what packages are installed on Puppy? On Ubuntu I would interrogate Synaptic, but the Puppy Package Manager doesn't seem to show packages that came with the iso file.

aragon

#12 Post by aragon »

don't mind...

for woof-based versions there should be a file /root/.packages/woof-installed-packages or something like that....

aragon

Gander22h

#13 Post by Gander22h »

This is just straight Puppy 5.1.1, no /root/.packages file!

aragon

#14 Post by aragon »

Gander22h wrote:This is just straight Puppy 5.1.1, no /root/.packages file!
sure... In rox left-click the eye to show hidden files/folders

aragon

Gander22h

#15 Post by Gander22h »

Doh! I actually hit Ctrl+H and .packages was there, I just missed it.

Okay /root/.packages has Openssh client showing up in woof-installed-packages and also in Packages-puppy-wary5-official, but not in Packages-puppy-5-official or Packages-puppy-lucid-official. sshfs-fuse-2.2 is there in user-installed-packages. Should I be looking anywhere else?

No sign of Openssh-server there at all, which may explain why you can sshfs out but not in.

aragon

#16 Post by aragon »

hi Gander22h,

this:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SshWithPuppy

may help you further, there is a server-package and some explanation.

good luck
aragon

Gander22h

#17 Post by Gander22h »

Wonderful! Thank you very much!

Gander22h

#18 Post by Gander22h »

Just to close out this thread I can report that I installed the ssh-server from http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SshWithPuppy and it solved the problem!

It is a little complicated by Puppy's lack of user accounts as SSH will not connect to Root for security reasons. When you install ssh-server it brings up a dialog box that asks you to change the root password and set up a user account called "spot" with a new password. It also creates a new directory on the Puppy PC at /root/spot. Once you have done that and created a target directory on the PC to be linked from to put the connected folder into (her called "TargetDirectory") then you can connect to the Puppy PC by entering into a terminal:

# sshfs spot@"LocalIPAddress": ~/TargetDirectory
To explain: "LocalIPAddress" is the actual local IP address of the Puppy PC, (ie 192.168.1.XXX). "TargetDirectory" is the name of the directory (or folder) that will be used to reach the spot directory on the Puppy PC.

You can note that this does not allow SSHFS access to the /root directory, just to the /root/spot directory, so the Puppy user will have to put documents in there to have them remotely accessed.

I would like to thank Aragon for their patient help in solving this issue. I hope other Puppy users will benefit from this knowledge.

shariebeth

#19 Post by shariebeth »

aragon wrote:hi Gander22h,

you're correctly assuming that sshfs needs to be compiled. As the tarball you're linking is a source-package and not a precompiled binary-package, tgz2pet won't help, as it only converts the tarball to a pet-package without compiling.

You could try the attached pet, but i don't know if it will work for you, as it is compiled with puppy 4.31 and not lupu.

aragon
Just to let you and others know this pet works for Racy 5.3 too. I couldn't find it in the PPM but managed to find this thread and gave it a try. I had already installed fuse from the PPM, I found that in one of the repositories, not sure which one now. :oops:

Thanks tons for this pet.