Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 25 Jul 2014, 13:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Puppy Project #3845: solid-state, no-moving-parts computer?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Dougal

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2006, 07:21    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
It should be possible to keep the components inside a sealed case cool enough by transferring their heat to the case which would have fins on the inside for that purpose. Components that generate the most heat could have copper or aluminum strips stuck to them and strung across to conduct their heat directly to the case. I wouldn't like it, but if necessary a small fan could circulate the air inside the case to aid the heat transfer process.

I still haven't figured out whether to put the power supply inside or outside the (sealed) case.

Couldn't the casing be made of a good heat-conducting metal and have the CPU cooling fins (for example) attached to it, or even the processor itself?

I was thinking of 'ready-made' objects adn came up with a used cannon shell (then you can go around asying "my computer is Da Bomb!")- but it's not shaped well for a computer. Maybe an old tin lunch-box (a Lunchbox Computer)...

brianez21 wrote:
I am using an EPIA 5000 (533Mhz fanless CPU) with a 200W fanless powersupply.

Does such a CPU have anything special in it's construction? Is it not possible to convert a normal CPU for a fanless system?
Sage

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2006, 08:32    Post subject:  

Too few PC enthusiast have made the connection between fluid dynamics/aeronautics and system management. It's all there in the books!
It is possible to create a roaring draught by correct finning and baffling using convective flow alone.
brianez21

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb 2006, 12:35    Post subject:  

Last edited by brianez21 on Fri 14 Jun 2013, 18:56; edited 1 time in total
Dougal

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb 2006, 07:37    Post subject:  

brianez21 wrote:
One person almost melted their computer doing it - so beware!

I wasn't thinking of experimenting with mine... I've got a pentium I that I found in the rubbish (had fried onion and used teabags all over it!), so I thought I might as well try.

Is there a program to control the CPU fan? My CPU never goes above 35 centigrade and it's limit is 70, so I figured the fan could be turned on only when it reaches 65 or so. (should be good for times when computer is idle)
brianez21

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb 2006, 12:27    Post subject:  

Last edited by brianez21 on Fri 14 Jun 2013, 18:56; edited 1 time in total
peppyy

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar 2006, 22:03    Post subject:  

I forgot to plug the cooling fan in on an asus terminator and ran it for about a week with a 2.4ghz celeron using only the case fan. It sure was quite there till I plugged the fan in. That one is temp controled by the bios so it is os independant.

I would imagine that with the proper heat sinks you should be able to cool about any processor without a fan. It wouldn't run that well hot but I cant believe it would overheat. Make sure you use a quality thermal compound to connect all the peices and build the case out of aluminum.

pythoncoder

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr 2006, 05:58    Post subject:  

I have Puppy running on a solid state machine. It consists of a Via ME6000 mini-ITX motherboard with 512MB of RAM. The only "disk" is a 1GB Compact Flash card in an IDE adaptor. The only other hardware is a wireless network adaptor. It has no keyboard, mouse, monitor or disk drives; I control the machine from another computer using Tight VNC.

The box uses 26 watts of power when idle and 30W when busy, so passive cooling works fine.

I guess a physically smaller machine could be built using a nano-ITX board, but these are prohibitively expensive. My box is small, silent and cheap!

Pete
aahhaaa

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2006, 22:48    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
Sweetest of all would be to do it without any fans at all, in a closed box. Where I live is very dry and dusty. Fans suck in dust, which, for reasons I can't explain, coats everything inside the computer. Electronics and dust aren't a good combination so I take the covers off my computers twice a year to blow them out and I'm always amazed by the amount of dust that comes flying out.

Flash- I'm responding to you on my Epia right now. I've had this one running daily for 3 years or more- really recommend them.

They have an adapter to 12V which just clicks into the mobo- that would get one of the main sources of heat, the power supply itself, out of the case. These boards draw very little power themselves- the CPU heatsink only gets mildly warm to the touch. If you can use an external USB burner, the closed case idea is very practical; some of the server & carputer cases are ribbed and sealed.

From another angle, some of the gamers computers are now water cooled; have you checked that out? Wink
wscarl

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr 2006, 15:49    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
Sweetest of all would be to do it without any fans at all, in a closed box. Where I live is very dry and dusty. Fans suck in dust, which, for reasons I can't explain, coats everything inside the computer. Electronics and dust aren't a good combination so I take the covers off my computers twice a year to blow them out and I'm always amazed by the amount of dust that comes flying out.

How About the fanless cases for the ITX this one is the cheapest (at $155 USD) and has aboot CF slot in front
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/62/products_id/501
For mATX MB the Zalman TNN 300 is totally fanless Price $630 to $700 USD
Page 2 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: