Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jasper

#361 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

Perhaps there is less typing with shinobar's method. Even typing can be a pain, especially to total newcomers not even used to a qwert (or whatever "foreign") keyboard.

As regards help on the live CD, if a new user does not already have printed help or has not already made copious notes - I think, that is where and when, for user comfort and avoidance of error, help is often most needed.

My regards

My knowledge and experience is far, far, far from extensive; but I have never used a better or faster OS than Lucid Puppy - so my only concern is for the maximum number of users to enjoy the maximum benefit from their choice of Puppy.

maxpro4u

#362 Post by maxpro4u »

playdayz wrote:dejan555, Why did you not tell me you had a 3.72MB build of Pidgin that was working in Lupu (5.0)?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 12&t=58553

Can people test, please? This looks like a winner. Ayttm takes 2MB so this is only 1.7MB more--well spent imho. And we know it's good work.
pidgin working fine so far here.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

scsijon

#363 Post by scsijon »

playdayz wrote:
What are you trying to get scsijon?

the iso and dev of 233 from page1
Wow. No, I don't have those anywhere else. That is usually a very reliable server. Has this been going on longer than a day or so?
it's all ok again today, the files are down,

it has happened before from that server, but usually only one file

thankfully not enough to be deadheading the server,

just a damn nusance when you want to download and test the next version in the stream, and have the time free to do so without interuption.

regards

scsijon
ps ended up pulling amaya's docs down, think i'll have a go at building it for puppy as the default deb version doesn't seem to work! Too much missing.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#364 Post by Lobster »

Where so you see the monospace font at 10pt please?
In Abiword
what other advantages or disadvantages do you see by using Grub4dos as LupQ uses it to boot the CD? Thank you.
The advantage is that Ubuntu, Windows and
popular Puppy configurations can be scrolled by menu rather than putting
in bizarre easily forgotten geekery such as 'puppy pfix=ram' options

The disadvantage is it slows down booting unless the 5 second auto boot is disabled and adds code (but I doubt it is that big) :)
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

playdayz

#365 Post by playdayz »

dejan555, Why did you not tell me you had a 3.72MB build of Pidgin that was working in Lupu (5.0)?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 12&t=58553

Can people test, please? This looks like a winner. Ayttm takes 2MB so this is only 1.7MB more--well spent imho. And we know it's good work.

There is a script at /usr/sbin/ayttmshell that starts ayttm connected to IRC #puppylinux. It looks like it might originally have been written for pidgin. It would be a fine thing if someone felt like converting that script to this Pidgin or writing or adapting an equivalent one. Thanks you.

01micko

#366 Post by 01micko »

Here's the latest wm-switcher

It now supports Fluxbox.

It has a new feature that allows you to have a different background for each WM, it can be turned off by checking the checkbox

Cheers
Attachments
wmswitcher-0.7.pet
(18.44 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

dejan555

#367 Post by dejan555 »

playdayz wrote:dejan555, Why did you not tell me you had a 3.72MB build of Pidgin that was working in Lupu (5.0)?
Um, sorry? :oops:
Everyone's talking about how pidgin is too heavy for puppy and I wasn't really sure how big ayttm is. I can probably add autoconnect to #puppylinux or take script from one of wolf_pup's pidgin packages.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

dejan555

#368 Post by dejan555 »

Seriously 2 MB for such crapy app and it's still in puppy builds?
People will want to install Pidgin sooner or later so I guess it's the way to go.

BTW, my pets compiled on squeeze pup are here:
http://puppy.b0x.me/software/squeeze/

Most of them should be sompatible with lupu, also other packages for lupu/dpup484/4.x are here:
http://puppy.b0x.me/software/packages/

Iguleder's pets for squeeze are these I think
http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/dima/ ... kages-pet/

Packages are usually striped and separated into NLS/DOC/DEV

Users especially liked my Seamonkey 2.0.8 pet (about 13.5 MB) for squeeze
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

pemasu

#369 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. I have not been active lately. Too busy with everything. And 5.1.1 - 5.1.2 versions I have works so fine. Also squeeze versions with some Lupu packages have been fine.

But still following everything Lucid - Maverick related actively and sometimes responsing to questions of Lucid earlier versions.

I have noticed that people have difficulties to find right kernel source for 5.1.1. Lately someone complained how difficult it is to find information about it. There are still people who want to compile driver for their hardware from the source package.

I suggest that when new version ( at least stable version ) is announced there would be a link to devx and also to kernel source sfs if there is one made. Also the 5.1.1 announcement could be updated to include link to the one.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 07:05, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#370 Post by playdayz »

I have noticed that people have difficulties to find right kernel source for 5.1.1. Lately someone complained how difficult it is to find information about it. There are still people who want to compile driver for their hardware from the source package.
The kernel source is the same for Lucid 5.0-5.1.1. You are right on pemasu, because the kernel source will soon (in 5.2) be listed as one of the sfs files that can be installed with one-click from Quickpet--that is a new feature in Quickpet. Thanks.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... atched.sfs

pemasu

#371 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. Thank you of the stunning fast response. Sounds really good.

01micko

#372 Post by 01micko »

Quickpet (4beta3)

Ok, we now can release Quickpet that has full sfs support.. it supports installing sfs with minimal clicks in any Puppy "Pupmode".. that is, full, frugal, usb, save back to cd/dvd.. whatever. It does check if you have enough space and in the case of saveback to cd/dvd it does a free available RAM check because the install has to heppen in RAM. Now our biggest sfs is go-OO, the Quickpet program expands the sfs to approxiamately 4 times it's compressed size, so by that rationale, a puppmode 77 install (save back to cd/dvd :wink: ) would need approx 720MB of free RAM to succeed in installing the sfs without RAM crashing the machine. I have never run a live save-back to cd with anything less than 768M RAM.. so it wouldn't be possible in that amount to install go-OO... even if it were, that machine would probably RAM crash anyway! I think you need at least 1 gig of RAM, preferably 2, to successfully use pupmode 77.
Pupmodes 2 and 3 (full installs to fast partitions and slow partitions) work well. You usually have plenty of diskspace in these type of installs and the unpacking of the sfs uses disk space, not RAM, so low RAM machines will handle the installation.

How does it work?
The sfs is downloaded to /tmp. It is then unpacked in a folder of the same name. A petspecs file, if there is deleted and a new one added with the exact installed size reported. The sfs is deleted. The folder is now compressed using 'tar', then the tgz2pet script is invoked then petget is run and you install your sfs as a pet. The expanded dir is deleted, but there is the old option in Quickpet for you to decide if you keep the newly created Pet, check the Preferences in Quickpet. The pet is stored in /tmp until next reboot so you can move it manually if you want. Note that the backend script that does all the work will work as a standalone script in any full install.
Also note that the method for installing an sfs in Pupmodes 6,7,12 and 13 (various types of frugal installls :wink: ) is unchanged.. it gets downloaded to /mnt/home and you are prompted to reboot.

TO DO
*Tidy everything up and fix the locale files. Translators will be needed. Give me a day or two.
*Of course if you find a bug or a feature you don't like please report.

issues
Koffice doesn't work, I should have deleted it from the list, everything else seems ok.

--------------------------------------------------

Please check that I haven't broken anything! This is suitable to install for everyone and is relatively stable. If you have issues it can easily be uninstalled.

Cheers
Attachments
quickpet_lupu-4beta3.pet
(123.83 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jim1911

#373 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Quickpet (4beta3)Ok, we now can release Quickpet that has full sfs support.. it supports installing sfs with minimal clicks in any Puppy "Pupmode".. that is, full, frugal, usb, save back to cd/dvd.. whatever. . . .
Now you've gone and done it, I finally must do a full install, I'm a frugal fan. :shock:

Full installation from a frugal installation directory was flawless. :D

Tried two installations wih Sfs Get, Bibletime and java_jre.
1. Bibletime worked perfectly. :D
2. java_jre failed to install. It downloaded and appeared to install, however at the very end, an error message that it failed appeared. Ppm unstalled it with no problem. :( I believe that the problem is with the sfs, not your installer.

Next step is to make all of those other fine sfs available such as those that are linked via SFS/SFS Support and others that are on playdayz's server.

Great job,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

LiveDVD

#374 Post by gcmartin »

@01micko
PM me with some tests for your SFS processing. I have several configurations for RAM (512MB/1GB/2GB/4GB) processing arenas to test SFS processing. Let me know some tests you would like me to perform to help PUP5.2 go live with your tool(s), if you think it will help.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

dejan555

#375 Post by dejan555 »

playdayz, gimp 2.6.11 is about 7 MB without DOC/NLS/DEV files, it works on luci 232 gimp_full-2.6.11-i486-squeeze.pet

playdayz

#376 Post by playdayz »

The latest on the progress towards Lucid Puppy 5.2

Since luci-233, we have a final from shinobar on the firstrun dialog; we have a new wmswitcher with a trick feature, and we have a late beta Quickpet. Plus, we have Pidgin replacing ayttm. There are two changes recommended by shinobar for touchpad configuration. There are some small things also. That is quite a lot for a luci-233 that was only released 4 days ago.

All of the pieces are falling into place. In fact, those *are* all the pieces!!!

One thing. I still would like to hear pluses and minuses, or opinions, about grub4dos versus the traditional grub. I will be asking 01micko and WhoDo whose opinions will carry great weight as always.

We have gotten some great help in the development of Lucid 5.2. I have been thinking of some new titles.

Chief Developer, of course, 01micko
Honored Developer - Shinobar
Crucial Developers - Iguleder and dejan555
Lobster's favorite developer - smil99
The ta-ta developers - tasmod and tazoc (see why I had to check the names)

And there are more, I am checking to spell the names correctly ;-)

The last two versions of Woof have some problem--or I have some problem--the builds will not boot correctly. So instead of waiting, I will incorporate the new items from the top of this message and try to post luci-234 by this evening. Thank you all.

Iguleder

#377 Post by Iguleder »

Having the same problems on Zen Puppy 005, maybe one of the last puppies I'll ever make :cry:

I guess now it's time to help Barry squash bugs so we can keep rushing forward :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

sinc

#378 Post by sinc »

playdayz wrote:One thing. I still would like to hear pluses and minuses, or opinions, about grub4dos versus the traditional grub.
I am certainly no expert so other than using it I have no technical input but since Barry put Grub4Dos into quirky I switched to it and found it extremely easy to use no matter what FS I am using (at least it hasn't mattered so far). It just seems to work. I am a fan. :)

pemasu

#379 Post by pemasu »

234 version. First impression is wow or vau ( in finnish ).
First run dialog works fine. Finnish keyboard ok. Intel graphics driver ok. Wary094 freezed even with the newer intel driver package.
Touchpad movement is right and tap to click is enabled straight.
Alsaconf did find my sound card.
And touchpad response is fine. Does not make erratic mistakes when my palm is resting in it when writing.
All my 4 cores are found and are under ondemand new scaling addition. Is it tazoc`s or Iguleder`s ?
Nothing strange in this quick test.

My greetings to the great developer team. This will be my next must have puppy or the next stable version at least.

I have also used grub4dos from the beginning, well at least as long as I have used grub. Works fine and shinobar`s grub4dosconfig is fine tool for it.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#380 Post by playdayz »

Yes, luci-234 is posted in the first message of this thread.