Latex and Lyx

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
emil

Latex and Lyx

#1 Post by emil »

Latex and Lyx

Latex is the Textprocessing of the Engeneering/Scientific world. Lyx is a powerful Latex document editor. I found forum member didiks small "texlive_2009" package very usefull. (puppy size 170 MB, hum, I know what you wanna say, but well thats really small/minimum for a Latex/Tex package).

I uploaded the package with python removed (its just around 3 MB in the sfs file) to
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/Latex/
File is called Latex_Lyx_v09.sfs (made and tested in Puppy 431)

it needs Python preinstalled! (e.g. from the devx.sfs)

I am sure there are some fonts and styles removed from the package, so if you need very specific formating one has to figure out how to include that. Maybe keep us posted about success/problems here?

regards
emil

original didiks telxlive 2009 threat: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50243
Last edited by emil on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.

emil

Aspell spellchecking German package

#2 Post by emil »

I uploaded a German spellchecking package to http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/Latex/. It works (place the cursor over text), but is not as sophisticated than e.g. Windows spellchecker.

It is also necessary to set the language in the Lyx menu (Tools/preferences/language settings).

emil

adjust Fontsize in the Lyx GUI

#3 Post by emil »

The default fontsize in the Lyx Gui was too small for me. I spent a long time in the various menus and tried to find a possibility to use bigger fonts for that.
This search was completely unsuccessful!

After some googling I found that this is adjusted over the command

Code: Select all

qtconfig
in a Terminal. It brings up a nice gui where you can configure the appearance of Qt applications. Oh - and this means with the Latex/Lyx Package you also have Qt 4.4.2 installed (but I guess not the dev package).

myman_05

cannot export in jawi(old malay langguage similar to arabic)

#4 Post by myman_05 »

Hello Emil

try to using lyx for some Jawi writing but cannot export to pdf.

Maybe you have solution for this situation.

TQ

emil

Jawi export

#5 Post by emil »

Hi myman,

unfortunatly I have no experience with other main character sets than the latin one. Maybe you ask for support on the lyx support forum (try to prepare a Minimum working example of your problem and also post input and output files and error messages).

A brief googling showed my that there are also many institutions in the Arabic/Asian world use Latex and also Lyx, maybe someone there can give help in setting up your system.

If you are successfull it would be very nice if you could post a brief howto :).
Emil

emil

Latex_Lyx works in new slacko RC

#6 Post by emil »

Although its a bit old
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... yx_v09.sfs
still works in new slacko RC.

HINTS & QUIRKS:
To change GUI font sizes you need to run qtconfig from the commandline.
For importing tex files python is needed (e.g. install the devx.sfs).

There is also Lyx 2.01 in one of the slackware repositories, but there are tons of dependencies and ppm gave "too many dependencies", with already 680 MB listed!

I still marvel how didik managed to get texlive, lyx and qt in a 170 MB sfs.

recobayu

#7 Post by recobayu »

emil, i downloaded the latex full.sfs and inside that there are pinstal.sh and two folder. what should i do to run latex?
i'm sorry, i very new about latex.
is there possible to add latex.desktop on /usr/share/application so latex appear on start menu?
when i run

Code: Select all

latex
on terminal, i got an error messages.

thank you very much.
:D
myblog: [url]http://muktyas.blogspot.com[/url]

emil

#8 Post by emil »

Hi,
sorry for late reply. I have a slow internet connection atm and I don't check the forum often.

Do you refer to these Latex packages?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74373

I don't have those latex packages ( and all of my other development files) at my current computer, so I downloaded the "MIN" package and checked if "latex" works there - it did. I cannot download the full package because the pac kage will exhaust my bandwith.

Latex is installed at the default location and there need some environmental variables to be set for the correct paths. Normally there is a script contained in the sfs in the /etc/profile.d folder - this is called each startup.

I added a pinstall.sh, because of shinobars sfs load on th fly, so those variables are also set when the sfs is loaded "on the fly". Disclaimer:
I only checked the packages with lupu 511 and slacko, so there might be problems with other puppies, but I hope not. Please let me know if it works....
kind regards
emil 8)

recobayu

version 2.0.3

#9 Post by recobayu »

can anyone make an .sfs or .pet for the new version 2.0.3 of lyx?
http://www.lyx.org/Download
thanks.
:)

owari

#10 Post by owari »

@ emil,
Thanks for the good job, I'm using your "texlive-2011-FULLAPP.sfs" for a while, now on saluki but previously also on sagelive.
Have you any plan to update your packages to texlive 2012 officially published lately? what about sagelive or sage package?
thanks

emil

#11 Post by emil »

Hi owari,
I am happy you like it. I have no definitive plans for updating atm, because I have to run my business and follow some non-computer related projects. Beside that I need time for kids and family. But maybe there is a window in fall where I can make an update for texlive.

Regarding the sage package: this is easily compiled by any puppy version out there - turning it into an sfs is also easy, because it is self contained and resides in its own subdirectory so maybe somebody else can have a try to create that package.
Regarding sagelive I am a bit undecided on the base I should build it (32 bit vs 64 bit, Saluki, or Wary, or maybe just stick with the old adapted lupu 511 quickset version. I was also drawn to using the minimal debian live approach from sickgut with the jwm window manager because of the apt-get advantage.

owari

#12 Post by owari »

Thanks,
Although by myself use Saluki but I'm also waiting for JBV and saintless's FoxyRoxy based on sickgut's pussy and of course your sagelive, as I am now trying to solve my equations using sage! lupu is a bit old, both in kernel and in apps and although it is based on ubuntu but not all the ubuntu packages in ubuntu repos are installable on it (dependency problems), Saluki is not based on debian or ubuntu but I have installed a deb package on it that was not installable even on Debian itself (due to newer required dependencies not met with even wheezy!)!!! :o Anyway, Saluki is my suggestion but the choice is yours! :wink:
Godspeed

theinfamousj

Thank You!

#13 Post by theinfamousj »

I just wanted to write a big, "Thank you!" to all the people who posted in this thread. You all very much helped me do what I wanted to do with LaTex, TexLive, and Lyx (as well as read the Qt writing on my screen).

emil

#14 Post by emil »

Dear infamousj,
you are welcome!

Also I want to give a reference to some later work on this topic (I copy my posts from sage live thread). I guess the info was a bit lost there and hard to find:

Texlive 2011 package:

I have prepackaged the following (from small to large, small packages are subsets of the larger ones):

texlive-2011-MIN.sfs (18 MB) just bare minimum
texlive-2011-MEDIUM.sfs (177 MB) has LaTeX and recommended packages
texlive-2011-TETEX.sfs (334 MB) famous TeTeX distribution
texlive-2011-FULLAPP.sfs (551 MB) full Texlive sans docs and source
texlive-2011-FULL.sfs (1489 MB) full TexLive Package

texlive-2011-DOC-SRC.sfs (939 MB) Docs and Sourcecode

Those were made in Sage Live, but I *think* it should work in most puppies. Sure these are huge files, but they are a lot smaller than a download of the full distribution (2.4 GB on DVD iso).

Download texlive prepackaged

There is an installer which can be used to download a custom package. It is fine for full install puppies, but for frugal installs it is not straightforward how to avoid full savefiles/disks and to build a custom sfs package (it's not too difficult either).
install-tl-unx.tar.gz

Lyx 2011:

Dependencies:
qt4-4.8.0
aspell-0.60.6.1
Lyx-2.0.2

Take care 8)
emil

rych

#15 Post by rych »

Wow! Thanks a lot. I will now try to learn how to install sfs and pet.

Is it hard in principle to update those to the latest TexLive and Lyx? Is there a script or an algorithm to follow to rebuild them and from what sources? (for Puppy Precise)
Thanks
Igor

emil

#16 Post by emil »

Dear Rzch it is not hard.
Zou need to install the devx sfs and then download the texlive installer. If you run it you will have a lot of option how do build the texlive package.
kind regards
emil

recobayu

#17 Post by recobayu »

I make small texlive, it is about 88mb.
Here in my repo:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/frb7vp14z7p5 ... RqWha?dl=0
in folder pet.

I also have lyx and texstudio in folder pet.
Maybe it useful to us.
Thank you.

uio

This is what I was looking for !

#18 Post by uio »

Hello recobayu !

This is great ! I downloaded your texlive and texstudio pets. They worked beautifully on a fresh Tahrpup 6.0.5 live-usb ! I had spent hours last year trying to figure this out for LaTeX and voilà, your pets work quickly, no issues. Could you try to get this into the official repos (not quite sure what those are...) ? I think that it is super useful.

I do have a quick question though : how do I go about adding packages that are not included ? For example, if I want to use 'qtree' how do I add this so texstudio can use it ? I can find them on CTAN, but I don't know where to place them nor if I need to recompile the TeX system or something... Also, how could I set it up to use beamer ?

Thanks a lot - honestly, this was maybe the biggest thing I disliked about Puppy - that it was missing a good way to use LaTeX. I use if very often.

emil - your link is broken ! http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/Latex/
any idea where I could find those pets ?

Very useful pets recobayu ,

:::uio

uio

texliveonthefly for automatic TeX package installation

#19 Post by uio »

I think this might help : https://www.ctan.org/pkg/texliveonfly?lang=en
It is a script to find missing packages...
BUT - I don't know how to use it. Anyone have any idea on how to get this script to work ??
Thanks,
:::uio

recobayu

#20 Post by recobayu »

Uio,
I'm very happy that my work is useful for us. I still don't know ow to add my pet to official repo (Tahrpup or puppylinux). Maybe someone who can access on official repo can download my pet and put in there. And about adding package that are not included, I still don't know how to do that. Maybe just add file .sty in to some texlive folder.