What is SeaMonkey and why is it in Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
gcmartin

SeaMonkey 2.1 has move to the Beta stage

#41 Post by gcmartin »

I've been running the SeaMonkey Beta with no problems. For some "unknown" reason, I have found that the Beta on QuickSet with 3 Seamonkey windows open and about 30 tabs, the CPU utilization is way-way down from other releases. I am now in the 6-8% area with a download going and a youtube video. (But, my surfing is still as fast as ever, too...probably pre-fetching or something)

Maybe a fluke, huh?

Shep

Re: Why I use Seamonkey

#42 Post by Shep »

mjaksen wrote: The thing about Seamonkey is that it's ugly, and mildly inconvenient. Yes it's robust. Yes it's reliable.
My past experience precluded any association of the word "reliable" with Seamonkey. I got sick of it crashing and could not have been happier since moving to Firefox. So I'm pleased to hear you report that Seamokey is now much improved. (Firefox is by no means perfect. Far from it!)

I did briefly try Seamonkey 6 months ago, and was dismayed to rediscover (time and time and time again!) that the designers in their wisdom placed Seamonkey's close current tab button right where Firefox users are habituated to finding the open new tab button. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Please tell me that these clowns have seen the error of their ways, and standardised the layouts! Please! :roll:

Imagine a rental van where the foot pedals are the reverse of those on your own! It was chaotic. :evil: :evil: :evil:

DaveS

#43 Post by DaveS »

Shep wrote:
I did briefly try Seamonkey 6 months ago, and was dismayed to rediscover (time and time and time again!) that the designers in their wisdom placed Seamonkey's close current tab button right where Firefox users are habituated to finding the open new tab button. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I agree.... stupid beyond belief. Fix it with the tiny Seatab X extension from here http://www.tom-cat.com/mozilla/extensions.html
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Shep

#44 Post by Shep »

DaveS wrote:I agree.... stupid beyond belief. Fix it with the tiny Seatab X extension from here http://www.tom-cat.com/mozilla/extensions.html
Ah! :P Necessity is the mother of invention. :wink: :wink:

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd better make a note here so that it gets included in my trail of postings so I can find it when/if I need it. 8)

yarddog

Seamonkey auto upgrades

#45 Post by yarddog »

I noticed recently in Seamonkey 2.0.8 that it auto upgraded to Seamonkey 2.0.9 and after Seamonkey 2.0.10 came out, my Seamonkey 2.0.9 auto upgraded to Seamonkey 2.0.10.
This is a neat feature since it saves downloading the full version each time a new one is released

yarddog

Newcrest

#46 Post by Newcrest »

Shep wrote:I did briefly try Seamonkey 6 months ago, and was dismayed to rediscover (time and time and time again!) that the designers in their wisdom placed Seamonkey's close current tab button right where Firefox users are habituated to finding the open new tab button. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Given that Seamonkey has the older pedigree, shouldn't it be the Firefox designers that you should be blaming?

Ctrl+w closes the current tab and I find it quicker than searching for a little x on the screen.

thelash

Why I use firefox but always look at seamonkey

#47 Post by thelash »

I started on mozilla 1.4 way back in my win98 days, after an ie5 hijack borked my whole system. Appreciated the all in one setup, but was annoyed (on my slow PI box) with the slow opening/closing times - especially as the little mozilla icon loaded/unloaded from the system tray. So I migrated to firefox(or whatever it was called then)/thunderbird as soon as I could and got used to them.
Since seeing the light (ie migrating to first linux, and then puppy), I've added firefox and tbird to my os where I could. I play with the seamonkeys in each version of puppy I have, but firefox has become a personal preference. My main setup now is lucid 5.1.1 with firefox 3.6.12 and thunder bird 3.1 in a frugal install. Since stumbling on this post, I've installed the lucid seamonkey2 pet, and upgraded to seamonkey2.1bpre - At last! - able to use personas and get away from that clunky win95 look that ordinary themes aren't able to. At last! - seamonkey mail works with my gmail (I use pop3 not imap for various reasons). And mail is simple and works more like tbird 2 without the clunky 2 steps forward/3 steps back mashup that is tbird 3. And all the media plugins etc seem to work well too.
And it's smooth and fast.
I'm not a real power user, don't write websites so haven't used composer, and it seems to me that my acceptance of seamonkey rises in proportion to the way it works like firefox. I may stick with this seamonkey for a while because it works well and is smaller than the combined ff/tbird.
For me it's just a personal preference thing, may be different for others.

DaveS

#48 Post by DaveS »

This speedial topic has had a little activity latey if anyone is interested http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 412#464412
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#49 Post by Béèm »

Shed wrote:I did briefly try Seamonkey 6 months ago, and was dismayed to rediscover (time and time and time again!) that the designers in their wisdom placed Seamonkey's close current tab button right where Firefox users are habituated to finding the open new tab button. :evil: :evil: :evil:
As Newcrest points out it are the FireFox developers who made the bad step.
Whenever I am in FireFox, my tabs get closed being to close that close X
In my eyes a bad design.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Shep

#50 Post by Shep »

Béèm wrote:
Shed wrote:I did briefly try Seamonkey 6 months ago, and was dismayed to rediscover (time and time and time again!) that the designers in their wisdom placed Seamonkey's close current tab button right where Firefox users are habituated to finding the open new tab button. :evil: :evil: :evil:
As Newcrest points out it are the FireFox developers who made the bad step.
Whenever I am in FireFox, my tabs get closed being to close that close X
In my eyes a bad design.
Yes, it should be a double click to close a tab.

gcmartin

#51 Post by gcmartin »

Newcrest wrote: ...Ctrl+w closes the current tab and I find it quicker than searching for a little x on the screen.
I'm very late to the table here. But, ALSO, the hotkey Ctrl+t opens a new tab, as well. So you can mouse click to open/close tabs or you can hotkey to open/close tabs.

Clicking the items File, Edit, View, etc on the menu line also exposes other Hot-keys for frequently used functions.

So far, I cannot confirm any earlier claims of something that SeaMonkey can't do.

I have also been a user of the beta for past several months. It has been very stable.
Béèm wrote:In SeaMonkey (using 2.0.11) middle-click on the tab closes it also.
I tried this in FATDOG and was unable to get this to work. Haven't tried Middle-click on other PUPs yet, though.
Shep wrote:...Yes, it should be a double click to close a tab.
I often times in my life have inadvertently closed something I shouldn't have. I, too, look to "blame" someone, something, etc. so I share your frustration when you inadvertently close a tab; here/Firefox/Chrome/IE/etc.. BUT, HARK, in all of these, we have a history button. If you click it, it will allow me, you too, to get that page right back open where you left off. (I wish this was standard in "Abiword" implemented in PUPPY...No comments required, though)

Hope this helps.
Edited: typo
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 25 Jan 2011, 00:26, edited 6 times in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#52 Post by Béèm »

In SeaMonkey (using 2.0.11) middle-click on the tab closes it also.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]