How to make Belkin F5D7000 wifi config persist? (Solved)

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
kuejoe

How to make Belkin F5D7000 wifi config persist? (Solved)

#1 Post by kuejoe »

Hello people,

i have my belkin wireless working manually through wag and the ethernet wizard (for the dhcpd) when it is booting puppy, i see this:
ndiswrapper iw_set_freq:289
"SET" failed on device wlan0
setting config failed: c0010015
/etc/rc.d/rc.local:5
/sbin/dhcpd: not found
I am using the bcmwl5.inf driver in ndiswrapper.

If it were for me, I guess I could deal with it if I HAD to (even though it is a major pain in the tail every time I boot - having to go back into the wizards) but it is for my 9 yr old daughter and that would be to much work for her.
At LEAST I have it running - I tried it in Suse, Deb, Ubuntu Fedora and nothing.
Thank you ahead for any help or ideas.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I don't know if this is any help, but if my PCI card cable modem hasn't synced with the cable company by the time Puppy gets to the ethernet config step in the boot sequence, I have to use the Ethernet wizard in the menu in the desktop Setup icon. The point being that perhaps the wireless configuration step during bootup is not giving something enough time.

kuejoe

Belkin F5D7000 Desktop works - won't boot?

#3 Post by kuejoe »

Thanks Flash,

Where would I do this - in Grub?

kuejoe

Belkin F5D7000 Desktop works - won't boot?

#4 Post by kuejoe »

The thing is that wlan0 boots up no problem.
But all the internet stuff isnt.
I am thinking that the dhcpd isnt since /sbin/dhcpd isn't found.
I have to use the ethernet wizard each time to get the dhcpd running because, for some reason it will not in WAG.
Also I noticed in WAG that as i go through it, on the left hand side it will say module not loaded and dhcpd not running.
Ill am able to get everything else up except those two - go into the ethernet wizard and I am in.
The module not loaded makes me wonder if it has to do with the .inf file in ndiswrapper - or am I off on this?
Thanks again

Rickrandom

#5 Post by Rickrandom »

I think the WAG creates (or adds to) the file /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local

As a result of advice in anther thread a few months ago, I edited mine manually (right click, Edit as text) and put

sleep 5

or some other number between some of the commands, so it has time to do all the handshaking(?) with the wireless network. I don't know which ones need how long, but I did try to shorten them until it wouldn't work, then lengthened again, and now I've got:

sleep 3
after the ndiswrapper stuff

sleep 5
after the iwconfig

sleep 2
after the rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-wlan0.*

sleep 5
after the dhcpcd stuff

If you've got these functions, try the sleep and a number. I suspect that mine are a bit too long for some functions.

kuejoe

Belkin F5D7000 works - won't boot?

#6 Post by kuejoe »

Thanks Rickrandom

I unfortunately do not have much in this file, let alone what you have described.
I have since used RARSA's ethernet wizard update - and can do everything from there...but I am still at square one, so to speak. My ndiswrapper loads up fine, but my dsl access isn't. I then have to do it manually from the ethernet wizard [rather than the wireless and ethernet wizard - at least RARSA's update saved me a step if nothing else]. Still trying......

kuejoe

Belkin F5D7000 Desktop works -won't boot?

#7 Post by kuejoe »

iwconfig wlan0 channel 0 essid default
dhcpcd wlan0

I put this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
saved it, rebooted and wlan0 popped up in blinky on the taskbar!
Had a few errors while it was booting - but it works!!

Thank you to all!