No sound driver for WinFast Motherboard

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
NickBiker

No sound driver for WinFast Motherboard

#1 Post by NickBiker »

Hi

I am on Puppy kernel 2.4.29 - with ALSA sound.

I am sure sound was working previously(!) - but now I get no sound. I notice that the hardware probe returns the following error:

NO INFO FOUND ABOUT THE DEVICE 1039.7012 (AUDIO)!

My motherboard is the Foxconn K7S741MG. This uses the SiS964L sound processor - compatible with AC '97.

I checked lib\libhardware\soundcard.db and this file was empty (should it be, as my other Puppy has list of drivers here?). The driver for 1039:7012 is listed as i810_audio - but this driver does not appear to be in my Puppy installaion. Is this something to do with the ALSA setup?

Can any one help?

Thanks
Nick

See my Puppy webcam Guide at:
www.moyo.me.uk/pupplinux

Caraibes

#2 Post by Caraibes »

Hi,

I had the very same problem with various integrated sound chipset from Sis or Via, and never could solve the lack of sound... I followed every single tip from the forum or IRC... Never worked... I ended up buying a cheap PCI soundcard so I could run Puppy on my main PC as one of my 3 main OSes...

I now can listen to music and radio with that PCI soundcard, but I really feel the Puppy crew should do something about the millions of users worldwide who have cheap onboard sound made by Via or Sis...

I have made plenty of requests about this problem, and Barry personnaly answered me about it... I am confident that someday we, the millions of users of Via or Sis chipset, will be able to have a functioning sound to use Puppy freely, without any need to buy extra (useless) hardware...