Browsers, email, chat, etc.
James C

#161 Post by James C »

username ......... puppy
password ......... linux

xman

#162 Post by xman »

Can't find 3.6.9?

There were problems on newest Firefox updates which patched 11 critical vulnerabilities, and Mozilla stopped providing security updates to Firefox users as it investigates a bug that caused computers to crash last week. “Mozilla began receiving a large number of crash reports after releasing Firefox 3.5.12 and 3.6.9 last week. The reports have come from machines on all three platforms that Firefox supports, with the majority of them occurring during browser startup.

xman

#163 Post by xman »

Yes, somebody got a bad pair of mittens. So, I’m not surprised that Mozilla has released Firefox 3.6.10 shortly after 3.6.9.

charnisingh

Firefox 3.6.10

#164 Post by charnisingh »

Hi,

I have made pet as well as sfs of firefox 3.6.10 in puppy 432, if anyone is

interested, I will find a way to upload here. The pet and SFS should work

in puppy-4.

charnisingh

duckrow

#165 Post by duckrow »

Will it work with puppy 3.01? If so,yes please

Makoto

#166 Post by Makoto »

...or install the 3.6 .pet from the first post in this thread (on page one), and select Check for Updates... from the Help menu. Firefox will offer to update you to the latest version.

duckrow: I couldn't tell you. I've seen a fair number of .pets created for Puppy 4.3 that wouldn't install in earlier versions of Puppy. I don't know whether that means the programs inside the .pets would fail to run on earlier Puppies as well, though.

You could download Wolf Pup's pets and see if they install, though most of those pets didn't seem to want to start the install process for me when I was using Puppy 4.2.1.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

novax

#167 Post by novax »

First of all, greetings to the community from a new member: this is my first post here.
Makoto wrote:...or install the 3.6 .pet from the first post in this thread (on page one)
I just tried to download the 3.6 .pet using the link in the first post, but the link doesn't work: I get always the "404 Not Found" error.
Is it a temporary trouble?

Thanks

EDIT
I found this web page and downloaded and installed firefox-3.6.9.pet
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I am not able to start it neither from Menu > Internet > Firefox nor clicking on the "browse" desktop icon.
Using the terminal I get:

Code: Select all

# firefox

/initrd/mnt/dev_save/firefox/program/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What should I do?

Makoto

#168 Post by Makoto »

For some reason, the server directory containing all of Wolf Pup's pets, including those on the first post of this topic, appears to have been removed. :(

Yeah, you need to have dbus installed... some Firefox/Seamonkey pets you'll find don't install it for you. You might try using the search at http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html to search the forum for one of the dbus .pets posted ("dbus" and "libdbus" would probably be good starting searches). I would have run a search, myself, but I'm about to go run some errands. :oops:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

novax

#169 Post by novax »

Thanks Makoto

I'll try and report :)

PS: I'm using Puppy 4.3.1 but I forgot to tell it.

novax

#170 Post by novax »

Hi

Your suggestion worked fine.
I found this post and I downloaded and copied the libraries in /usr/lib/

Now Firefox works, thanks. :)

Aitch

#171 Post by Aitch »

Yes, sadly losing Eric/caneri's server content at the same time as the community website cost us a lot of files

People probably do have copies, but like everything else, at the moment not well documented/publicised concisely

Aitch :)

Insomniacno1

#172 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi could you explain to me why I keep running into this error when trying to download anything from your server:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /tpp/bugs/firefox-3.6.pet on this server.

it happened with alot of other files too. I don't even get to type username: puppy or password: linux

Hope you can help with this thanks:)

JBJ

Varmint

Wolf's Firefox Pets

#173 Post by Varmint »

Greetings, gang...

Just wondering if the firefox pets that got wiped out from the server are going to be replaced, or should I try something else?

I've re-installed my old puppy 4.20 as I had some problems with the newer lucid version on this machine. Lucid works just fine on my netbooks, by the way.

Just wondering (or is it "wandering"?)

Varmint
IBM P4 ThinkCentre/2.8ghz/2gb ram/Puppy 4.20
Acer AAO ZG5/1.6ghz/1gb ram/Lucid Puppy 5.0.1
Asus Eee 701D/932mhz/2gb ram/Lucid Puppy 5.0.1
HP Omnibook 300/25mhz/4mb ram/Minix 3.0 (needs serious mem hack)

glenco

#174 Post by glenco »

The same Firefox 3.6 pet that Wolf Pup posted in the first post can be downloaded from:
http://puppy-development.googlecode.com ... ox-3.6.pet
It does replace the default browser on the desktop and works great in WARY 0.98

mulluysavage

Firefox Lost its Window Pane

#175 Post by mulluysavage »

I had Firefox working fine in 5.1.1. Now all of a sudden when I open it up it has no window frame that allows me to minimize, maximize, or close the window, and is always on top. So I can't do anything besides use the current window of Firefox when I am running it!

Makoto

#176 Post by Makoto »

Sounds like you probably have Firefox set to full-screen/kiosk mode. Try pressing F11, to see if that reverts it to 'normal.'

mulluysavage

#177 Post by mulluysavage »

no that doesn't do it

Makoto

#178 Post by Makoto »

Are you sure it's not maximized larger than the actual screen, then? You can try holding down Alt, clicking on the window and dragging it around until you see the titlebar, in that case.

If you have any other program windows open, you can try using Alt-Tab to switch to them, if I remember correctly. From there, you might be able to kill/close the Firefox window.

mulluysavage

#179 Post by mulluysavage »

Alt does allow me to move the window around. There is no frame around the window with the title of the page or "Firefox," with symbols for minimize, maximize, or close - that's all missing - nor is there the colored frame around the sides or bottom. Now that I am able to click on other windows that are revealed by moving Firefox around, it still stays on top. Alt-tab doesn't change it from being on top either.

Makoto

#180 Post by Makoto »

Hmm... odd. It only happens with Firefox?

I still suspect it may be an issue with full-screen/kiosk mode - there are ways to set it to that mode, and disable things like the close/maximize/minimize buttons, as well as access to the options and view settings (for those public places where you don't want anyone who might be using the system to exit from the browser, for example). Does the URL bar/navigation bar appear at the top of the screen and automatically hide itself? Is the status bar not present?

Have you installed any extensions which might have anything to do with the way Firefox's window is displayed?

Are you using one of the Firefox 4 builds? There's supposed to be elements in it that make it more like Chrome, but I don't think I've heard how to change them to make FF... well, more like Firefox, again.