Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 14 Sep 2014, 22:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy Studio: A Superior Technology
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct 2010, 23:34    Post subject:  Puppy Studio: A Superior Technology
Subject description: Puppy in RAM + Realtime Kernel + Preconfiguration = Win

Once upon a time, musicians had to worry about "latency". Edit JACK settings. Configure their audio cards, install complicated software... and that's if realtime recording was even possible on your computer. Setting up an authentic, professional-grade, Linux audio workstation was next-to-impossible for the average person. And even then, industry-standard digital effects weren't compatible with Linux, because they were in VST format. All that time you spent was wasted, and you had to go crawling back to Windows.

Fortunately, neither ourselves or those that are to follow need worry about such things any longer.

No more hassling to set up JACK, or trying in vain to get a realtime kernel working. Everything comes pre-configured for you out-of-the-box with Puppy Studio - you don't have to be l33t to use it. All of the work of having a professional-quality Linux studio is done for you, simplifying the entire user experience.

Puppy Studio runs entirely in RAM, making it faster and more efficient. Combined with the realtime kernel, that means no other OS gets latencies as low. Not even close!

There's no need to install anything, and it can be carried in your pocket on a USB stick.

It even comes with a fully-functional trial version of REAPER with VST support.

Puppy Studio: the fastest, most fully-featured, multimedia creation software in the world!

Last edited by l0wt3ch on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 08:17; edited 4 times in total
aarf

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct 2010, 00:12    Post subject:  

All for free, then these very same musicians will have the gall to claim royalties for THEIR work and kick up a screaming fuss if they miss out on one red cent.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
calexand

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct 2010, 01:04    Post subject:  

Lowtech,
Right on and quite accurate! Cool
postfs1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct 2010, 03:10    Post subject:  

Because i can't download it due to super-duper licence which has been used for this product. Laughing
I don't know how the following line concerns to unknown for me super-duper licence
Quote:
OI! What are you doing? You're not supposed to be here! the bathroom's that-a-way >>

Anyway, i wrote about it already over here Laughing

Last edited by postfs1 on Thu 14 Oct 2010, 10:20; edited 3 times in total
maans

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 07:27    Post subject: Re: Why Puppy Studio Really IS The Best
Subject description: Irrefutable Proof!

l0wt3ch wrote:
Once upon a time, musicians had to worry about "latency". Edit JACK settings. Configure their audio cards, install complicated software... and that's if realtime recording was even possible on your computer. Setting up an authentic, professional-grade, Linux audio workstation was next-to-impossible for the average person. And even then, industry-standard digital effects weren't compatible with Linux, because they were in VST format. All that time you spent was wasted, and you had to go crawling back to Windows.
That's true allright - I've been fiddling with most of them myself: JAD (jacklab Open Suse) Studio64 and Ubuntu Studio. Studio2go, Musix and Dyne:Bolic were exceptions - meant to be run as livesystems based on realtimekernels. (I wonder if anyone has a full Studio2Go live-cd? - The project stopped app 2 years ago)
l0wt3ch wrote:

Fortunately, neither ourselves or those that are to follow need worry about such things any longer.
No more hassling to set up JACK, or trying in vain to get a realtime kernel working. Everything comes pre-configured for you out-of-the-box with Puppy Studio - you don't have to be l33t to use it. All of the work of having a professional-quality Linux studio is done for you, simplifying the entire user experience.

I still can't install Tux-guitar, MuseScore or Pencil - When I try - some dependencies are broken or overwritten - don't know which.... MuseScore is the better choice for writing scores, it handles several voices pr staff (unlike Rosegarden) and exports to Lilypond as well. It delivers realtime monitoring of written material (unlike Denemo) - It's a "must have" for musicians writing music - and Finale/Sibelius users will have a chance to convert Smile.
Tuxguitar - is needed for all those young guitarists out there, who has got an illegal copy of GuitarPro (Windows). TuxGuitar can work with GPro- files (tabs and notes) and save as GuitarPro-format as well - Musicians OpenOffice Wink ... It's a mature and stable highquality program, which deserves to be (al least in my own) bundled with the PuppyStudio Livecd...
As for mentioning Pencil - I can just say that 2'd animation has never been presented more elegant and simple. It hasn't got all the "bells and whistles" from ToonBoomStudio and it doesn't try to (as K-Toon). It has a simple "paint-like" interface, which lets anyone start drawing/importing images - 4 types of layers in a timeline (raster, vector, camera and sound) and the ability to export flash, single images and other movieformats. There's a world of difference between using i.e. Blender and Pencil when we talk of learningcurve. There is *no* learningcurve for using Pencil!! - I think Pencil deserves to be in any Puppy Linux distribution.. Wink
l0wt3ch wrote:

Puppy Studio[/i]: the fastest, most fully-featured, multimedia creation software in the world![/size][/url]
Maybe it is Very Happy

Congratulations - Good job!

Cheers Måns Mårtensson
adXok

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 16:31    Post subject:  

Agreed to what maans said!
maans

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct 2010, 15:35    Post subject: Re: Why Puppy Studio Really IS The Best

maans wrote:

I still can't install Tux-guitar, MuseScore or Pencil - When I try - some dependencies are broken or overwritten - don't know which....

Hey:
Eventually I got all three applications + GOopenOffice with Olily extension installed. (Olily lets you write notes in Open Office via LilyPond - great extension!!)
[img]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=33443[/img]

Cheers Måns Mårtensson
all working2.png
Description  Hey - Now I've got'em all working ..
png

Download 
Filename  all working2.png 
Filesize  494.6 KB 
Downloaded  699 Time(s) 
maans

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct 2010, 15:41    Post subject: Re: Why Puppy Studio Really IS The Best

maans wrote:

I still can't install Tux-guitar, MuseScore or Pencil - When I try - some dependencies are broken or overwritten - don't know which....

Hey:
Eventually I got all three applications + GOopenOffice with Olily extension installed. (Olily lets you write notes in Open Office via LilyPond - great extension!!)
[img=http://imageshack.dk/imagesfree/kCC72450.png]screenshot[/img]
[attachment=0]all working2.png[/attachment]
Cheers Måns Mårtensson
all working2.png
Description  all programs working now
png

Download 
Filename  all working2.png 
Filesize  494.6 KB 
Downloaded  609 Time(s) 
johnrule

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct 2010, 16:41    Post subject:  

I appreciate that you made this distro, and I would really like to try it, but I keep getting a kernel panic during the "loading 'pup-xxx.sfs' copying to ram" bit . I did try the pfix=ram switch, and it did the same...

I tried an older distro (pup-431?) and it loads fine.

It's a VIA chipset mobo (MSI k8MM3-V) with an AMD Turion 64 4000+ cpu, 2 gig of memory, and a 1TB hard drive.

Thanks,
JR
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct 2010, 19:13    Post subject:  

johnrule wrote:
I appreciate that you made this distro, and I would really like to try it, but

Um, excuse me... this is the "Puppy Studio is the Best" thread.

The Puppy Studio support thread is here.
johnrule

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct 2010, 20:24    Post subject:  

l0wt3ch wrote:
johnrule wrote:
I appreciate that you made this distro, and I would really like to try it, but

Um, excuse me... this is the "Puppy Studio is the Best" thread.

The Puppy Studio support thread is here.

Excuse me...

The previous posts in this thread described problems they were having, and I just assumed I could receive some support here.

JR
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct 2010, 20:34    Post subject:  

That's ok, John.

Some versions of Puppy have trouble loading the sfs into RAM with certain computers.

I'm going to make a version of 3.1 with the stock Lucid Puppy kernel for those having trouble with the rt kernel.

Puppy Studio's precursor, Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition", had great latency without an rt kernel - much, much, better than Ubuntu Studio or Studio64. It's just that Puppy Studio with the rt kernel is far superior, even to that.

This should fix the problems some were having with wireless drivers, as well.
maans

PostPosted: Thu 21 Oct 2010, 07:35    Post subject:  

Hi l0wt3ch
l0wt3ch wrote:
I'm going to make a version of 3.1 with the stock Lucid Puppy kernel for those having trouble with the rt kernel.
This should fix the problems some were having with wireless drivers, as well.
Great news Very Happy
I'm looking forward to get it up and running - with any pc Very Happy

Cheers Måns Mårtensson
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 21:09    Post subject:  

l0wt3ch wrote:
Here's that version of 3.1 with the stock kernel from Lucid Puppy 511, for those who didn't have luck with the realtime kernel.
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 21:51    Post subject:  

But only use it if the realtime kernel doesn't work for you.
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Mon 01 Nov 2010, 05:36; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: