Compiling Intel (soft)modem driver (Solved?)

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Yaverot

Compiling Intel (soft)modem driver (Solved?)

#1 Post by Yaverot »

I've gotten more serious about getting puppy online, so that mean getting drivers for my winmodem.

Mine IDs as an Ambient Technologies Inc HaM controllerless modem (Rev 2)

google got me to Intel, and it is in their archived drivers. I downloaded, and transfered it over to the right machine, extracted with guitar read README and INSTALL

the commands are then:
make clean
[]no problems

make ham
[]errors with
/lib/modules... can't find autoconf.h
please install kernel headers

a search finds autoconf.h in two places in /usr and I assume that user_dev.sfs has the kernel headers. I figured I could make this easy, and just make a symlink, but I don't know where in /lib/modules that symlink would go. I also don't understand makefile syntax well enough to edit and tell it "Idiot, it's over _here_ where it belongs".

So...
1. are the headers I need in user_dev.sfs?
2. if so, can I just make a symlink, and where do I put it?
3. if not, where do I find the needed headers?
4. If the headers are there, but a symlink won't cut it, what do I look for to edit in the makefile?

This is with 106, I don't have the 107 dev enviornment, and haven't taken a CD to a friends broadband to snag 108 yet.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

try:
ln -s /usr/src/linux /lib/modules/2.4.29/source

usr_devx.sfs comes with some headers, so it might work.
If not,you have to downloadthe Kernel-Sources, that is huge :roll:
http://puppylinux.com/development/compilekernel.htm

You don't need to compile the whole kernel, but you need the source.

I described here howto compile Kernel-modules:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=30262#30262

Mark

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Yaverot

#4 Post by Yaverot »

Well, this is the driver I need:
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/package ... am-453.tgz

I have had no luck in trying to compile it. I must not be installing kernel source right, I've put it in 4 different locations, and tried both with and without the above recommended symlink.

Each case make can't find kernel headers.

tempestuous, unfortunately those are the new drivers, that Intel provides compiled for their newer softmodems.
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

tempestuous wrote:... I compiled the 3 different modem drivers available on Intel's website - 536ep, 537ep and MD563X
Intel-v92ham-453.tgz is one of the packages I compiled, but I called it "MD563X" because the readme.txt from the extracted source lists this as the model of chipset.

Yaverot

#6 Post by Yaverot »

Yes! I'm now 99% of the way to being online with puppy. I get a dial-tone and can dial. The two things I need now is how to connect to compuserve (which I'm 99% certain is in this forum), and remember the account password that was stored back in 2000.

tempestuous:
thank you for the drivers, the only change to the directions you gave, is that hamboot does nothing, and doesn't explain why it did squat. I stared at that script for about 20 minutes to figure out that the script (which does only one thing) needs to be told what to do, simple fix the terminal command isn't:
./hamboot
it is
./hamboot start
so that should help the next person you may send the drivers to.
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks

mouldy

#7 Post by mouldy »

Yaverot wrote:things I need now is how to connect to compuserve (which I'm 99% certain is in this forum)
Dont know if this ever got answered. You need to use Penggy to connect to Compuserve. Compuserve is part of AOL empire. I cant remember now, but somewhere in Penggy configuration you need to let it know that you are connecting to Compuserve and not AOL account. That is your question, if anybody is searching for another part of AOL called Walmartconnect, it is being phased out in favor of Netscape ISP. Netscape is regular DUN with regular dialer. However Walmartconnect if anybody is still using it is generic version of Compuserve and you set Penggy for Compuserve to access it also.