What is the difference between Quirky and Wary?

Booting, installing, newbie
Newcrest

What is the difference between Quirky and Wary?

#1 Post by Newcrest »

I am afraid there are too many Puppies to choose from now. Obviously Lupu is a different breed but how do Quirky and Wary differ?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Newcrest

#3 Post by Newcrest »

I don't know, they just seem the same to me. Perhaps the differences under the hood are all that matters but I'd like to see some of the minor applications finally updated to better options. Those old minor apps might have been reasonable in Puppy 2 days but as shown in a number of puplets, which replace the same ones over and over, there are better options which take up not much more space.

ICPUG

#4 Post by ICPUG »

Wary is developed with a major objective being to work on older machines.

From a technical viewpoint the main problem to achieving that objective appears to be the X-Org X server. Wary uses an older version of this - which came with the series 4 Puppies. Series 5 Puppies and Quirky come with a recent X-Org X server which does not work on older harware.

At one time Wary was a testbed but Barry has voiced his intention to make it his own official released Puppy and Wary 0.9 is the first beta release.

Quirky on the other hand has always been and still is a test bed for new ideas. It is not an official puppy, even though it may work very well. Potentially one version of Quirky can be radically different from the last as different ideas are tested.

Newcrest

#5 Post by Newcrest »

ICPUG wrote:Wary From a technical viewpoint the main problem to achieving that objective appears to be the X-Org X server. Wary uses an older version of this - which came with the series 4 Puppies. Series 5 Puppies and Quirky come with a recent X-Org X server which does not work on older harware.
Thanks for waking me up to that. It might explain why I can't alter the keyboard repeat rate and mouse acceleration in Quirky and Lucid. It works fine in the retro Wary version I was using but I had put it down to the kernel. Being emboldened by your comment I tried out the newest Wary 9 kernel and everything responded properly like it should. So now I know to look for the older X server in future and not worry about the kernel.
Potentially one version of Quirky can be radically different from the last as different ideas are tested.
I'll keep that in mind too.