Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 17:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
LibreOffice 3.3.0 final
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep 2010, 10:53    Post_subject:  LibreOffice 3.3.0 final
Sub_title: New productivity suite (as of 9 Feb 2011)

According to PC World "Some developers of the OpenOffice.org desktop productivity suite announced a break from Oracle on Tuesday, introducing a new name for the project and establishing a new foundation to guide its future.

They will distribute a version of the open-source office productivity suite under the name "LibreOffice," under the purview of an independent organization called The Document Foundation."

I have prepared and uploaded a new LibreOffice_3.3.0_beta2_sfs4.sfs that works fine on Puppy Lucid 5.1.1, Base 5.2 (2.3,1 and 2.3.2), Wary 0.9.2, and Lighthouse 5.0 F. It is available for download here courtesy of playdayz. Java is also needed for some functions to work. It works fine with jre-1.6.0.20 which is the current version downloaded by Quickpet.

It has only been tested on above pups, therefore please post only problems using it with the above pups. Also, any success with other pups.

Edit: 5 Dec 2010
Beta 3 is available thru Quickpet in Luci-246. It's also available on ibiblio for users of different versions.

Enjoy,
Jim

Edited_times_total
tubeguy

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep 2010, 11:13    Post_subject: Re: LibreOffice
Sub_title: New productivity suite

Jim1911 wrote:
According to PC World "Some developers of the OpenOffice.org desktop productivity suite announced a break from Oracle on Tuesday, introducing a new name for the project and establishing a new foundation to guide its future.

They will distribute a version of the open-source office productivity suite under the name "LibreOffice," under the purview of an independent organization called The Document Foundation."

Please, someone, prepare a LibreOffice.pet and .sfs that can be run on the latest Lucid, dpup, Lighthouse, etc.

Thanks,
Jim

Quote:
Since Oracle's takeover of Sun Microsystems, the Community has been under "notice to quit" from our previous Collabnet infrastructure. With today's announcement of a Foundation, we now have an entity which can own our emerging new infrastructure.

Oracle has been doing their thing as predicted. Sun has been effectively extinguished as the cool company they once were.

Terryphi

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:05    Post_subject: Re: LibreOffice

Jim1911 wrote:

Please, someone, prepare a LibreOffice.pet and .sfs that can be run on the latest Lucid, dpup, Lighthouse, etc.

Thanks,
Jim

I tried for five hours today but after solving a few dependency issues I ended up with a segmentation fault and gave up!

Anyone else willing to try can download debs from :

http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/

Unfortunately, only install-deb and install-rpm files are available for Linux. The install-deb file contains 24 deb files!!

Be warned that the current beta might replace your OpenOffice.org installation. Do not test if you have OpenOffice installed.

You also need to know that LibreOffice beta is essentially a rebranded OpenOffice 3.3 beta.
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct 2010, 17:40    Post_subject: Re: LibreOffice

Terryphi wrote:

[...]
You also need to know that LibreOffice beta is essentially a rebranded OpenOffice 3.3 beta.

... for the time being...

I sincerely hope LibreOffice will succeed in becoming an entirely independent project.

technosaurus

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct 2010, 19:57    Post_subject:  

To be honest I would rather goffice get some leadership (corporate or otherwise) and unify a good set of small but powerful gtk apps including an access compatible sqlite based database and a powerpoint compatible presentation app to complement abiword and gnumeric.
musher0

PostPosted: Fri 08 Oct 2010, 22:06    Post_subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
To be honest I would rather goffice get some leadership (corporate or otherwise) and unify a good set of small but powerful gtk apps including an access compatible sqlite based database and a powerpoint compatible presentation app to complement abiword and gnumeric.

I totally agree that a small & efficient office suite is needed for Linux platforms, but then should it be goffice ? Gnumeric is not bad, but they'ld have to make abiword rely a lot less on nerds like you and I to make it complete -- and make it behave decently, even to write a simple letter.

The "bug" with abiword's font display was first documented in 2005, judging from their forums, and it's still there five years later. This makes abiword's screen jump when you edit text in it at any reasonable speed. Now there are workarounds, but the average user often doesn't know where to find them or even that they exist.

Also, as it stands, abiword is most often presented in incomplete form, without some of the plugins to do decent work. I know this has been discussed at length in other threads, but still, that the same people be making an office suite based on abiword? Crying or Very sad Yee-ouch! Not a reference, let's look somewhere else.

tronkel

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct 2010, 04:31    Post_subject:  

Yes, this is an important development for Linux in general and Puppy in particular.

Goffice or LibreOffice? Both have their upsides and downsides.

I'd like to see an LibreOffice Lite getting built that would be ideal for Puppy. This is the perfect time to join the DocumentFoundation and put this exact point to them.

I'm already registered with the foundation. If there is more interest shown by Puppians, I'll contact them and request this.

I've already tried LibreOffice. It is very beta-ish, maybe even alpha-ish in many ways. It bombs out when attempting to print on my system. Early days, so you can expect this sort of thing.

I tried to compile it in Debian Squeeze, but no joy as yet.

For the moment, just as an exercise in slimming down, a Puppy sfs containing just the WP and spreadsheet DEBS plus other core stuff could be attempted.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct 2010, 07:16    Post_subject:  

Quote:
I'm already registered with the foundation. If there is more interest shown by Puppians, I'll contact them and request this.

Most people would expect something like this - Chubby Puppy
http://pupweb.org/wikka/ChubbyPuppy

but who remembers OpenOffice and Puppy in 96MB Shocked
http://pupweb.org/wikka/puppy104

Only Puppy can do this

Tronkel if the foundation can spare a little time
they can easily create a
showcase version of their software puppy powered

Also are they intending to remove java bloat
as a necessity for the presentation program
Getting that working was like juggling yesterdays porridge

Good luck to them. Open Office is a penguin success story. Cool

Roy

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct 2010, 12:21    Post_subject:  

I have always used OpenOffice instead of Goffice, but only because of it's compatibility with the professional world that uses MS products. Pri had packaged a cut-down OpenOffice that had fit all of my needs nicely:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=893510419&t=52716

I think Pri was smart to use only writer, calc, and impress.

If Abiword and Gnumeric would both behave AND have full compatibility with the business world, I would still miss the ability to view the required PowerPoint presentations....

Thinking about trying Softmaker (30 day trial but then must pay for it) next, if I can figure out how to do the menu entries and stuff. tgz is 138M. I've never compiled and never made .pets before so face a steep learning curve if I go that route.
http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofl_en.htm

Just my 2 cents.

-Roy
puppymartin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Oct 2010, 08:13    Post_subject:  

Bèta 2 works in Puppy.

Install HowTo:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=459908#459908
Jim1911

PostPosted: Thu 21 Oct 2010, 10:39    Post_subject:  

puppymartin wrote:
Bèta 2 works in Puppy.

Install HowTo:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=459908#459908
I can confirm this. I used the above technique, however I used the deb version of LibreOffice 3.3.0 beta 2 instead of rpm. It works great on Lucid Puppy Base 5.2. I've also created a sfs from this installation which also works. It appears to be faster than OpenOffice 3.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 23 Oct 2010, 23:06    Post_subject:
Sub_title: LibreOffice 3.3.0 beta 2

Duplicate post
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct 2010, 02:30    Post_subject:  

I am intending to make available sfs and pets of LibreOffice and OpenOffice, and keep them up to date. Cut down versions will also be included (I hope), but they are not THAT much smaller. So far, LibreOffice.sfs is up and if testing is successful, the .pet plus OpenOffice.sfs/pet will be up by the end of the day.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61153

hillside

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct 2010, 09:13    Post_subject:  

DaveS,

Will your version have the database module included? Even though it's compatibility with MS Office is poor at best, it works for the things I need to do.
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct 2010, 10:13    Post_subject:  

hillside wrote:
DaveS,

Will your version have the database module included? Even though it's compatibility with MS Office is poor at best, it works for the things I need to do.

Yes, database is included. Both sfs and pet are now uploaded and available. You need to install Java though for the database to work.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum