Epson Printer Scanner Drivers-All in ones

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Frank Cox

Epson Printer Scanner Drivers-All in ones

#1 Post by Frank Cox »

http://avasys.jp/eng/

They have drivers for lots of Epson equipment. I got the Image Scan Program working on my NX400 by running the deb installer on dialup and then just adding a couple of libs I found here on the forum. I almost fell of the chair when it opened up. :}

libieee1284-3.2.pet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 021163edb7

There was another libtiff so.4 . After you install and try to run it it will tell you what is missing.

If anyone wants to help with the project of making these drivers work in Puppy I would appreciate it. The printer driver is supposed to have all the bells and whistles too.
Last edited by Frank Cox on Tue 09 Mar 2010, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you saying that you got the scanner working but NOT the printer? The latest Gutenprint package has a driver for your NX400 so it should work in Puppy.

Frank Cox

Epson Drivers

#3 Post by Frank Cox »

rcrsn51 wrote:Are you saying that you got the scanner working but NOT the printer? The latest Gutenprint package has a driver for your NX400 so it should work in Puppy.
I was trying to get the driver that came with the scanner to work but it needs the ppd [postrscript] file. I have already installed it.
Is there a pet for the Gutenprint package?

Thanks

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Which version of Puppy are you using?

Frank Cox

Epson

#5 Post by Frank Cox »

rcrsn51 wrote:Which version of Puppy are you using?

I tried the GutenPrint driver and it does not show up at all in Textmaker or AbiWord. It shows up in Geany but all it does is send blank pages until you unplug it.

Frank Cox

Epson

#6 Post by Frank Cox »

I then tried the GhostScript driver and it printed all sorts of data that had nothing to do with what I asked for. Something about the job requiring a postscript level 2 printer and then pages of continuous code.

Then I tried the driver that i downloaded with the Image San and got nothing. The instructions say you must install a ppd file but I have no idea where to find one.

This is a file I downloaded with the drivers.

Format: 1.0
Source: pipslite
Version: 1.4.0-5
Binary: pipslite
Maintainer: AVASYS CORPORATION <linux-epson-inkjet@avasys.jp>
Architecture: any
Standards-Version: 3.7.2
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4), libcups2-dev | libcupsys2-dev, libcupsimage2-dev, libgtk2.0-dev, libjpeg62-dev
Files:
008ac1ab3b5ef8e5eef688f82891755b 1838660 pipslite_1.4.0-5.tar.gz

I am going to try and find the libs mentioned, could someone tell me where they go?

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tried the GutenPrint driver and it does not show up at all in Textmaker or AbiWord.
Using a fresh copy of Puppy 4.3.1, I ran the CUPS Printer Wizard. I let it generate the Gutenprint PPD files, then installed your NX400. (It was listed under the Epson group).

I then ran Abiword and looked under Print. Your printer was listed. (Make sure you pull the list all the way down.)

After you installed the printer in CUPS, did you try to print a test page?

Frank Cox

#8 Post by Frank Cox »

rcrsn51 wrote:
I tried the GutenPrint driver and it does not show up at all in Textmaker or AbiWord.
Using a fresh copy of Puppy 4.3.1, I ran the CUPS Printer Wizard. I let it generate the Gutenprint PPD files, then installed your NX400. (It was listed under the Epson group).

I then ran Abiword and looked under Print. Your printer was listed. (Make sure you pull the list all the way down.)

After you installed the printer in CUPS, did you try to print a test page?

Thank you for trying that. I finally got it to recognize the printer with the Gutenprint driver, the Ghostscript and the driver that came with Image scanner and all I got when I tried to print is nonsense. TextMaker does not see it at all, I believe because it is not set as default printer.

If you could tell me how to extract the ppd file for the Nx-400 the instructions say that I can point the IM driver to it and that driver will work.

Thanks again for your efforts!

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is a PET for your printer built from the avasys package. The PPD file is included, but will have the name "Epson Lite" when you run the CUPS setup.

Frank Cox

Epson lite -Success

#10 Post by Frank Cox »

Upgraded to CUPS 1.3 , that did it!

Thanks

russoodle

Another Epson All-In-One Solution

#11 Post by russoodle »

jamesbond has a thread here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41939

it might also be of help....i know he says he compiled the drivers for his TX100 but i have an RX650 and his .pet worked flawlessly for me first time, on Stardust 013 (Puppy 4.3.1)...(this was for the scanner component only)..
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

James186282

#12 Post by James186282 »

I'm probably not understanding this but the drivers that come with 5.11 work fine for printing but XSane can't "grok" the scanner part of this device.

Am I correct that the CUPs system ought to take care of both print AND scan functions?

And the drivers available at the Av site - even the RPM is in a format that the pet program doesn't handle. The DEB distro has a PPD file but when I load that the working printing (stops working) and XSane is as "sane" as me ;-)

Ack!
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

What model are we talking about?

Frank Cox

Sane

#14 Post by Frank Cox »

James186282 wrote:I'm probably not understanding this but the drivers that come with 5.11 work fine for printing but XSane can't "grok" the scanner part of this device.

Am I correct that the CUPs system ought to take care of both print AND scan functions?

And the drivers available at the Av site - even the RPM is in a format that the pet program doesn't handle. The DEB distro has a PPD file but when I load that the working printing (stops working) and XSane is as "sane" as me ;-)

Ack!
Hi James:

You are not by chance from N. Carolina ?

The Epson drivers at http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/ come with or without the scanner. The scanner driver is called Image scan {Iscan}

From their page http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/mfp/DL1.do

"Information

Your EPSON Color Laser Multi-Function Printer (MFP) is supported by two separate products. "Laser Printer Filter for Linux" allows you to produce high quality printed documents, whereas "Image Scan! for Linux" creates high quality scans of both your office documents and your treasured photographs.
Laser Printer Filter for Linux

"Laser Printer Filter for Linux" is a printer filter for SEIKO EPSON laser printers that rely on the EPSON ESC/PageS language. It can be used with both CUPS and LPRng.
Image Scan! for Linux

"Image Scan! for Linux" is a scanner utility that makes it easy to obtain high quality images on Linux with your EPSON scanner or MFP (Multifunction Laser Printers) or All-in-Ones (Multifunction Inkjet Printers). "

Be sure to get the complete driver for the Multifunction machine!

The Debian or Ubuntu driver should be fine but puppy has a rpm to pet converter. I would just as soon use the tarball myself .

Image Scan has given me zero problems , try it.

Epson prints better on Linux than MS , that is true!