Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition"

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ciento

#161 Post by ciento »

Thanks for the new improved version! Just in time for the weekend :)
Only 376 meg 8)
Do they even allow megabytes on the Redland campus? :P
Cheers

l0wt3ch

#162 Post by l0wt3ch »

No prob, ciento! Glad you like!

What's Redland campus? :?:

ciento

#163 Post by ciento »

l0wt3ch wrote:No prob, ciento! Glad you like!

What's Redland campus? :?:
OOPS , meant to type 'Redmond', home of Microsoft,
and host to the 2010 Balmerville follies :wink:

acrocosm

#164 Post by acrocosm »

How can I install nvidia drivers on that? All my attempts have failed. I'm using 3.1lite, great work btw ^_^

EDIT: Ok, I tried downloading puppy kernel_src-2.6.33.5-patched.sfs on which then applied the rt patch for that version from this place. After applying the patch I renamed /usr/src/linux-26.33.5 to linux-26.33.5-rt25 and, hopefully, fixed the linux simlink to point to that folder.

I also downloaded and installed 5.1.1 devx and got the latest drivers from nvidia. I then exited x and run nvidia setup. I get an error message that nvidia.ko can't be load and then exit the installer. Searching system files did not find nvidia.ko.

Are those the right steps and I just messed it up somewhere or I need to do something else??

EDIT2: I forgot to mention this is a HD. I like the change in splash and background images.

About blender, I have run 2.54 on standard lucid 5.1.1, just downloaded from the official site, with python installed first. It appears to run just fine.

ciento

#165 Post by ciento »

For guitar players, the new Mustang digital amps from Fender are great
for linux, its sound can be sent over usb to rakarrack and vsts via wine supported vsthosts like Reaper, at the same time!. Talk about fathoms and fathoms of sound potential!

It has 24 presets, 3 for each
of 8 classic fender amps. Turning the preset dial then changes whatever you cooked up via rakarrack/guitarix/vst plugins yada yada.

!6 of the 24 presets can be edited/saved from the amp, the first 8 need a windows app to save the modifications, (and allow deeper access to more modeled gear). $99 and $199 is the standard price in the shops, for the 8" 20 watt, and 12" 40 watt versions, and the sound is amazing, even tube-only advocates are admitting these are great additions
to their collection.

The headphone out is also very noise-free, allowing more connection, and a 1/8" input is there for mp3/CD/aux to play along with. There is no midi
on the amp, so extra devices would have to use rakarrack or other linux connection points In qjackctl, it lists as Mustang amp, and usb audio device.
:) should be in the shops everywhere from Australia to Alaska!

l0wt3ch

#166 Post by l0wt3ch »

acrocosm wrote:How can I install nvidia drivers on that? All my attempts have failed. I'm using 3.1lite, great work btw ^_^

EDIT: Ok, I tried downloading puppy kernel_src-2.6.33.5-patched.sfs on which then applied the rt patch for that version from this place. After applying the patch I renamed /usr/src/linux-26.33.5 to linux-26.33.5-rt25 and, hopefully, fixed the linux simlink to point to that folder.

I also downloaded and installed 5.1.1 devx and got the latest drivers from nvidia. I then exited x and run nvidia setup. I get an error message that nvidia.ko can't be load and then exit the installer. Searching system files did not find nvidia.ko.

Are those the right steps and I just messed it up somewhere or I need to do something else??
It's more complicated than that, I'm afraid.

But if I can get the source packages used by the Lucid Puppy project, I could compile new video drivers. Maybe I could even change the links in Quickpet somehow so it downloads them automatically like it used to.

Mind you, I can't even get people to test the firewire drivers.

calexand

#167 Post by calexand »

Lowtech,
Sorry, can't help with testing the firewire. Firewire only available on my older G4 Macs.
If you ever decide to port this to PPC, however... :D
CA

siabost

#168 Post by siabost »

Hi All,
Thanks for the bug report about midi and the new kernel. I don't actually use midi, so I had no way of knowing. (Any firewire testers out there? Smile )
Might be firewired in the near future, l0wt3ch, but not yet - my olde laptop has the port & I'm informed that Firewire's the way to go for external audio hardware in Linux even if, in my case, USB2 might be (potentially) faster.

I mostly play geetarr (Musicman) too but have been dabbling in MIDI of late - hence Rosegarden etc.

Also keen on Rakarrak even though I have to turn down its settings so my Celery powered Compaq R3000 (2005 vintage) doesn't max out all the time.

I'd like to compile the latest stable version of Rakarrak (0.5.8) but not sure how in Pup. Done it in Ubuntu. So if anyone has any pointers as to the basic packages I need for compiling in general and how to load them 'twould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

ciento

#169 Post by ciento »

https://launchpad.net/~autostatic/+arch ... ld/1895285

This links to a .deb of rakarrack 6.something, probably the best version,
lots of fixes, less cpu usage.
Cheers
(have had roughly equal quantities of tea and coffee this week,
and a little honey and raspberry sorbet' in some scalding tea for a hot
drink in the cold evenings, to keep the fingers limber.) :)

acrocosm

#170 Post by acrocosm »

l0wt3ch wrote:It's more complicated than that, I'm afraid.

But if I can get the source packages used by the Lucid Puppy project, I could compile new video drivers. Maybe I could even change the links in Quickpet somehow so it downloads them automatically like it used to.

Well, I've got an internal audigy 2 and nothing to connect to the firewire port. But I can definitely test nvidia drivers ^_^

acrocosm

#171 Post by acrocosm »

l0wt3ch wrote:It's more complicated than that, I'm afraid.

A pitty I spend so many hours researching on how to do it to end up stuck. Oh well, at least I learned something new along the way...

Well, I've got an internal audigy 2 and nothing to connect to the firewire port. But I can definitely test nvidia drivers ^_^

siabost

New Puppy Studio Thread

#172 Post by siabost »

Yo chaps (and -esses, perhaps),

There's a new thread on PupStud:
Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition" is now "Puppy Studio".

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60483
:D

ciento

#173 Post by ciento »

edit: reinstalled and the repos work normally. Must have been user error :cry:
(Universe Main was a ghost town in a previous attempt.)

In other news, rakarrack and qjackctl both are set to start
jackd automatically, which will be a problem in some cases,
so start each one, turn off the auto start of jackd in their
preferences/setup gui, and determine a jackd command line that will meet
your needs, and save it as .jackdrc.
Start jackd by that command, start rakarrack, then start qjackctl, and
make your rakarrack connections. Once its all working, you can try
to get things automated again.

Cheers :)

PupGeek

#174 Post by PupGeek »

ciento wrote: OOPS , meant to type 'Redmond', home of Microsoft,
and host to the 2010 Balmerville follies :wink:
Wouldnt that be the 2010 Ballamerville follies?

l0wt3ch

#175 Post by l0wt3ch »

I have recreated both discs with a new kernel that has a timer frequency of 1000. I also have posted a new kernel-rt in the "pets" folder for those with full hard drive installs.

Hopefully that fixes the midi problem.

ciento

#176 Post by ciento »

Thanks for the new update, you might want to post details on a Rosegarden mail-list too :)
Cheers

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/support/lists/

Alan_x

MyPaint

#177 Post by Alan_x »

Hi-

I just fired up Puppy_studio 3.1 and used the "Install" button to get MyPaint from the Ubuntu repositories. MyPaint appeared to install correctly. It shows up in the Graphics > Image Processing menu, but, when clicked, it doesn't start.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.

siabost

MIDI Timer/Resolution still not right

#178 Post by siabost »

Hi l0wt3ch,

Posted this on the other thread but must have been missed.

Loaded up the new RT kernelled version but still get the "Resolution too Low" warning in Rosegarden.

This can be checked simply by starting up Jack then Rosegarden & looking for a yellow warning triangle at the bottom-right of window. Clicking on this will show any problem. Nothing needs to be running in Rosegarden.

Thanks.

urphonesux

#179 Post by urphonesux »

come on guys can one of you please help me in getting xenyx usb1204 and a korg padkontrol recognized by linux.

here she says that the behringer xenyx line works well with linux but doesnt go into detail
http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructur ... 303235MMHL

I am FRESH off the boat when it comes to linux

l0wt3ch

#180 Post by l0wt3ch »

@siabost: I didn't miss it, I responded in the other thread:

[quote="l0wt3ch"]Ok. I just recompiled the kernel, using the same configuration, which I verified is definitely set to 1000 Hz. I burned a new CD with the new kernel - just to verify that I didn't mess up some step previously - booted, and started Rosegarden.

Rosegarden still complains about the system timer when you have the MIDI setting on "auto". I think Rosegarden's out to lunch on this one, because I've changed the timer according to these instructions, and no difference.

So I'm calling this bug closed, as far as my end of it is concerned.

To avoid the error message, I recommend going to Settings → Configure Rosegarden → MIDI and changing the “Sequencer timing source