Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 Sneak Peek Alpha

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
darwinev0lved

#81 Post by darwinev0lved »

Hi, just a quick initial impression. Trying luma-002 (although I think you missed a trick not calling it lump! or mmap) on my Samsung X05 that we all had such fun with for lucid 5. Well, so far, really good news: it booted straight up AND it seems to have immediately recognised the sound card. Hopefully this will be persistant as that was something that still wasn't right even with lucid 5.1.1 So that's great. Will test more thoroughly when I have time - I'll give it a whirl on my eeepc but for an alpha it's not looking at all bad.

scruffy

luma-002 test

#82 Post by scruffy »

Luma-002 frugal install.

Initial set up fine. Sound and Internet worked out of the box and both were persistent through reboots.

Pets working OK

Foxit
Gimp
Opera
Wine/Spotify
XFCE4 from Lucid News.
lxde-0.5.0-lucid.pet

I downloaded 2 Youtube videos and played them back with Mplayer in the following WMs

JWM peformance erratic at fullscreen -usually Ok
LXDE - ok
ICEWM - ok
XFCE4 - ok

Luma-002 is already looking very promising. :)

Many thanks

scruffy

playdayz

#83 Post by playdayz »

um .. you do know I am itching to get hold of the devx
01micko, I did not think, sorry, on the way this evening.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luma_devx_003.sfs

------------------------------------------------

Progress Report, Lack of

On last Friday, Ubuntu dumped a *whole lot* of new files into the Maverick repos. There was nothing to be done but to rebuild everything. And then that means several hours to find what got broken in the rebuilding. It was not too bad. Mplayer seems to be running nicely. Abiword and gnumeric are still running the latest Ubuntu binaries. Believe it or not Cups 1.4.4 seems to be behaving. Epdfview printed pdf's. There is something screwy with the fonts for pdf's. Some fonts do not print correctly, but change to DejaVu Sans and they do print correctly.

Gtk+ was not actually fixed in luma-002--it just looked that way, but if you look at /usr/lib/ you can see that the previous gtk2000 is still there with symlinks, as well as gtk2107. Xorg_base is wonky also--Ubuntu is still using files with git~20100925 type names and Woof does not seem to like them at all. Soon Ubuntu will have settled on their release files--xorg might have to wait until then but I will keep trying. luma-002 is using the xorg_base from 5.1.1.

So what I have right now is not that much better than luma-002. Cups works, but gtk+ doesn't. Ubuntu added a number of files today, but I was able to rebuild them individually. They are working on gdk-pixbuf which is one that is giving luma trouble.

I will read the thread later today or tomorrow. Are we still looking for some people to undertake the projects listed? Thanks.

I am still wondering what to do about an email program.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#84 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:I am still wondering what to do about an email program.
Thunderbird-3.1-Lucid and EudoraOSE-1.Orc1-Lucid (must install libcanberra0_0.25 which takes care of a missing dependency) both work well, however they may be too large to be the default mail program. However, I will install one of these.

Looking forward to 003,but 002 is very stable for an alpha.

Cheers,
Jim

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#85 Post by Lobster »

playdayz wrote: I am still wondering what to do about an email program.
Possible solution:

Provide a link to
http://www.gmx.com/
and offer
Claws Mail, Sylpheed as Quickpet options

other possibilities
http://squirrelmail.org/ - needs PHP server
mutt - needs frontend

include Seamonkey or Opera as browser
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

James C

#86 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: I am still wondering what to do about an email program.
My opinion of an email program keeps changing. If the email client is removed from the iso,in favor of a Quickpet download,it could lead to some unhappy dialup users.
Decisions,decisions........................ :lol:

8-bit

#87 Post by 8-bit »

The easiest email program I have used as far as setup for a brainless person like me with an existing email account is Thunderbird.
I entered my email address and password and it found and set up my account without me having to add anything as far as mail server specs.
I started with Seamonkey and it's mail program that I jumped through hoops to get it set up. When I would upgrade to a different version of puppy, I would copy over my complete /root/.mozilla directory from the earlier version to retain my mail and bookmark settings.
I tried once from scratch to set up seamonkey email on a new puppy version and gave up after entering the same info in settings that I had previously used did not work.
So now you have a brainless person's insight on this! :) :roll:

Iguleder

#88 Post by Iguleder »

If you want both a browser and a mail client, your best choice is Seamonkey. Thunderbird and Firefox share lots of code, if you run both at the same time they take 20 MB more RAM than Seamonkey.

If you want something smaller - Midori and Sylpheed, but those two are limited, unfamiliar and the former is not stable as its competitors.

Also, you could use some web applications to save space, like the Freenode web IRC for the chat icon, as we did on dpup :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pemasu

#89 Post by pemasu »

I have Thunderbird folder outside savefile. Inside it is my configuration and mail copies folder .thunderbird. When installing new puppy, I just drag .thunderbird to /root and I make relative symlink. Then I drag the binary thunderbird to desktop. Works fine. And does not growth savefile much.

Default email program is difficult decision because of it is depending on what you are used to use. And that you can get your addressbook easily imported. Small client also does not have features what big client, like Thunderbird, has.

And quite many uses webmail, like gmail, only. They dont care much about mail client.

Configuring my Thunderbird over and over again made me use single Thunderbird installation outside savefile and it has been best solution so far.

scruffy

Email Client

#90 Post by scruffy »

I use Opera Mail which allows easy importing of contacts , mail accounts and saved messages.
I still think it would be prudent to include Sylpheed as a mail client is a 'core application'
(which is why most distros include email) along with a browser and those with a slow internet connection may regard this as an essential.

When I have used Sylpheed I've always found it works well.

After having said that I can certainly understand the opposing view. A difficult choice.! :?

Stripe

#91 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

luma-2 seems to be working great, well done Playdayz and 01micko

With regard to the email client, IMHO installed software should cover all the bases, (which it does) and should be useable to as many people as possible.

If people dont like an application then they can change it, but if people need an application for their system to work it should be there. (as much as it is practical to do so)

it only takes me 5 minutes to download, install and make default my favourite pets to get my system how I like it.

Hope this helps
Stripe

chrismt

#92 Post by chrismt »

I have noticed that LXDE doesn't integrate with the default WM Switcher like Xfce4

I also had trouble reverting to JWM or Xfce4 after I am using LXDE

playdayz

Re: Email Client

#93 Post by playdayz »

scruffy wrote: When I have used Sylpheed I've always found it works well.
Sylpheed 3.1.0b2 (latest version) looks very nice to me--and it includes GnuPG. It adds 2MB, but I could use it as my email program.

8-bit says Thunderbird is easiest to set up. That is a good reason for it to be in Quickpet. I would like to see some people try Sylpheed 3.1.0b2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60400

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maverick Update
xorg_base now builds and runs correctly--finally the mesa files behave.

xserver-xorg-input is a problem because it will *not* use any kbd_drv that I can find (all of which are 1.4 or 7, and it needs 1.5 or 11 evidently). evdev doesn't work either--so no keyboard. The radeon video driver works--but it exits to a blank screen--we had that before I think and solved it. It is possible to use the new xorg-base and the xservers from 5.1.1. We might be able to compile the needed kbd_drv.

I found the bad library in gtk+, libgdk-pixbuf--it just doesn't work, but the one from 5.1.1 does. Everything else from gtk+ works now.

That's not enough improvement to go public again yet I don't think. Well, hmmmmm.

To summarize: It is only those two things above that are still a problem--the lack of keyboard is a pretty big problem--but at least that would solve the problem of how to change to a different keyboard ;-) We could pioneer full mouse only computing.

Ubuntu sure is changing a lot of files each day just one week before release of 10.10.

I am also working on 5.1.1--but dad gum, I am not sure I know what would be enough improvement to go to 5.1.2--I like using 5.1.1--we should be proud.

I am going to see about writing the first run dialog that I want--it might be fun, I would learn stuff, and I can probably do it--that would be worth 5.1.2.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 02 Oct 2010, 20:54, edited 2 times in total.

Iguleder

#94 Post by Iguleder »

01micko, do you need any help? At the moment I'm working with things like Woof and the kernel, I'm going more low-level with Squeeze, I could share some stuff, like the CUPS PDF printer fix.

playdayz

#95 Post by playdayz »

I have noticed that LXDE doesn't integrate with the default WM Switcher like Xfce4

I also had trouble reverting to JWM or Xfce4 after I am using LXDE
Yes, we would do that if it became "official." Often when you switch back to jwm you will still have clearlooks--I regard that as a feature ;-) But you can use Desktop -> Chtheme GTK Theme Chooser to go back to another theme.

You know, the way I understand it themes that use pixmaps, such as Polished Blue, are not as efficient as themes that use an engine--such as clearlooks. Does anyone notice any difference?

James C

#96 Post by James C »

Still testing this daily,posting from it now, and nothing really to gripe about.If a problem pops up, I'll let you know. :lol:

playdayz

#97 Post by playdayz »

James C wrote:Still testing this daily,posting from it now, and nothing really to gripe about.If a problem pops up, I'll let you know. :lol:
Thanks JamesC. FYI, Barry will look into building a 2.6.35.x kernel sometime pretty soon. When we get that it would be a good time for a new version of Luci Mae.

Iguleder

#98 Post by Iguleder »

playdayz wrote:You know, the way I understand it themes that use pixmaps, such as Polished Blue, are not as efficient as themes that use an engine--such as clearlooks. Does anyone notice any difference?
I read something about that - themes that use many images (more complex pixmap themes) waste more RAM as the images are loaded to it. However, some other themes that render using an engine can be heavy, mainly themes with rounded corners for controls. All Aurora-based themes, Clearlooks and Ubuntu's default Murrine-powered themes are heavy. That's why I think the Xfce theme engine is a very very good choice for Puppy - nice square themes with good contrast.

EDIT: I compiled a 2.6.35.7 for dpup already, many people reported audio problems. That's why I'm polishing the 2.6.32.x kernel so much, I want it to be the default and the 2.6.35.x to be an option for those with new PCs that have more than 8 CPU cores, new netbooks or computers with more than one graphics card.

darwinev0lved

#99 Post by darwinev0lved »

Well, just found my first problem. Wanted to configure the mouse as I couldn't click and drag using the mouse pad.

Got this error:

couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

thoughts?

pemasu

#100 Post by pemasu »

In console state, launch xorgwizard. Go through it. It might help to get flsynclient and synaptics to work.