Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pemasu

#2141 Post by pemasu »

Drag iso to upper box and iso.delta to the lower box and click generate. You will get upgraded iso to the same folder as your iso. I dont know if they have to be on the same folder. I keep isos and iso.deltas on the same folder and it has worked.

smokey01

#2142 Post by smokey01 »

I guess what is not clear is that it does not upgrade your current installation. It only upgrades an older iso to the newer one. The advantage is you don't have to download the entire new iso which is good for slow connections.

pemasu

#2143 Post by pemasu »

You can try your old savefile copy from 510 with 511. It might even work.I havent tested because I use always fresh install.

edoc

#2144 Post by edoc »

pemasu wrote:Drag iso to upper box and iso.delta to the lower box and click generate. You will get upgraded iso to the same folder as your iso. I dont know if they have to be on the same folder. I keep isos and iso.deltas on the same folder and it has worked.
This worked.

I then opened the ISO and replaced the existing three Frugal files with the newer ones from the 511 iso, edited GRUB replacing all occurences of 510 with 511, then rebooted.

After covering my screen and scrolling-by all of the files updated to 511 everything appears to work fine.

I then went to MENU-Setup-QuickPet and under News grabbed and installed the 002 update.

Other than a couple of icons out of place on my desktop and a different taskbar icon for Personal Storage I don't see any obvious difference.

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

kevin bowers

#2145 Post by kevin bowers »

edoc wrote: Other than a couple of icons out of place on my desktop and a different taskbar icon for Personal Storage I don't see any obvious difference.
The tooltip for the network tray icon now has a monthly accumulation upload/dowload value. Barry wrote about this in his blog, many of us in rural areas have ceilings, this lets us know if we're close.

edoc

#2146 Post by edoc »

I now see that, cool!

We discovered that we were really close to a fiber trunk here so we got fiber/dsl with essentially unlimited service. We don't subscribe to cable tv or anything like that as whatever we need we can find online - so what we saved there covers a decent internet connection. I guess the next level for us, when we aren't still pinching pennies, is a T1-like level of speed/throughput.

Thanks for the heads-up! I try to read Barry's blog from time to time but things have been hectic here lately. Too many plates spinning ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

pemasu

#2147 Post by pemasu »

Posted on 2 Oct 2010, 20:31 by BarryK
Re 5.1 links
Yeah, you are not the first person to report that. This matter will have to be raised with 'playdayz', the coordinator of Lucid 5.x, as he created them.
Posted on 3 Oct 2010, 3:08 by pemasu
5.1 links new location
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ppy-5.1.1/

seems to be new location for those files.
5.10`s two first links in Barry`s blog are dead due to new location.
http://www.bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01756

Sathors

#2148 Post by Sathors »

As stated in the title I can't update any packages on my lucid puppy.

I am under puppy lucid 5.0.1.

I have posted in the 5.0.1 thread, but nobody seemed to be able to give me an answer so I'm turning to you to help me.

My problem is that when I go to quickpet and click update packages it pops a green window which tells me I have to go on the internet page automatically opened to download the updates, and then I have to click on it for the installation.

Alas the web page does not work any more and it tells me
"The Update is now part of the News
- run Quickpet
then News and click on any updates"
which I don't understand in the least.

Somebody told me I had to upgrade to 5.1, but I think I read somewhere that 5.0 branch was still in devellopment.
I would like to avoid having to format my install.

Thank you for your replies !

pemasu

#2149 Post by pemasu »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid_Puppy/

Above link is for pet`s for lucid 5.1.x. Some or most of them might work on 5.0 also. Not sure. Otherwise I dont have anymore much knowledge of 5.0.

Having another luci version in it`s own folder and use subdir in menu.lst would be reasonable. Then you would be using up to date version.

Sathors

#2150 Post by Sathors »

I haven't understood your answer well.

Do you advise me of installing the new version of lucid ?
menu.lst is reffering to the grub file ?

Or is there no possibility of using the swiftness of puppy (cause my install is on a live usb key) while keeping the stability of a well-known package manager as aptitude or yum ?

Thank you.

pemasu

#2151 Post by pemasu »

Yes, I adviced you to install another, newer 5.1.1 lucid puppy on it`s own folder. Create folder 511 or something on /mnt/home. Dowloand 5.1.1 iso. Click it open. Copy files vmlinuz, initrd.gz and 511.sfs on to that 511 folder: /mnt/home/511.

Of course you need to have made savefile so that /mnt/home will exist.

Direct grub to boot files on that 511 folder.
I use grub4dos. Shinobar`s grub4dosconfig pet will do the menu installing easy.

psubdir=511 boot parameter is essential.

My example menu.lst:

Code: Select all

title Luci511
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Lucic511/initrd.gz
  kernel /Luci511/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd psubdir=Luci511 video=640x480 pfix=fsck resume=/dev/sda7
  initrd /Luci511/initrd.gz 

Jasper

#2152 Post by Jasper »

As has been mentioned in the British press 101010 (today's date) in binary notation is equal to 42 in decimal notation.

According to "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" the computer named "Deep Thought" showed the ultimate answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything" is 42.

My venerable desktop computer, named "Jasper" (Just Another Sales Performance Explosion Run) has now provided proof that the ultimate answer is actually closer to 5.1.

tronkel

#2153 Post by tronkel »

Attached is a pet package for the Ubuntu-Font-Family. Nice solid font.

This font is now used as the default in Maverick Meerkat, but doesn't appear to be available via the PPM in Lucid 511.

To set it as the default font in 511, go to Menu->Desktop->Chtheme and click on the Font button on the lower LHS. You may have to restart X after doing this.

To use as the default web page font in Firefox and Seamonkey, set the Ubuntu font from the Preferences->Content menu as normal.

If you want the Mozilla menus to use this font, you can manually edit userChrome.css in the current profile in your ~/.mozilla folder.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

DaveS

#2154 Post by DaveS »

tronkel wrote:Attached is a pet package for the Ubuntu-Font-Family. Nice solid font.
Thanks for this, using it in Wary.... nice.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nancy reagan

Did you post it in "Additional Sssoftware" as well

#2155 Post by nancy reagan »

tronkel wrote:Attached is a pet package for the Ubuntu-Font-Family. Nice solid font.

This font is now used as the default in Maverick Meerkat, but doesn't appear to be available via the PPM in Lucid 511.

To set it as the default font in 511, go to Menu->Desktop->Chtheme and click on the Font button on the lower LHS. You may have to restart X after doing this.

To use as the default web page font in Firefox and Seamonkey, set the Ubuntu font from the Preferences->Content menu as normal.

If you want the Mozilla menus to use this font, you can manually edit userChrome.css in the current profile in your ~/.mozilla folder.
Hi Tronkel,

I was wondering of late whether all the additional software that is mentioned in the "projects" posts, are also linked in the "additional siftwar" forum, so that they do not get lost (say for future generations ... grr) ?...

tronkel

#2156 Post by tronkel »

nancy reagan wrote:
so that they do not get lost (say for future generations ... grr) ?...
This is an old problem but an important one. As a project, Puppy Linux has good pet packages spread around all over the place, third-party sites, Murga Forum, Ibiblio, Puppylinux.ca, Wikis, etc. etc. Over the years I have built pets that I have uploaded to places that I've long forgotten and that I can't lay my hands on.

In the case of this UbuntuFont pet, I uploaded it originally to the additional software and pets forum section, but to make sure that Micko and Playdayz get to see it, I ended up putting it in the Puppy Projects section as well - so more confusion! It depends also on the file size as to whether or not its possible to upload it at all to this forum. A link between the two might partially help, but it's not the whole answer.

What is needed is a central pet repository that is available to the whole community and has for example both HTTP ans FTP access. To date, the community has more to do in this area.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

mrd

#2157 Post by mrd »

Stupid question here, but where can I find the programs that are controlled by the right side tray icons? I can find the .jwmrc-tray that controls the left side.

Thanks...

abushcrafter

#2158 Post by abushcrafter »

Those are tray icons, these are applications that are running. Which instead of a normal windows that are shown in the task list/bar they instead have a icon in the section of the tray, for icons.

Most are auto run on start up. To enable/disable/add/remove applications to run on startup look in "/root/Startup/" and "~/root/.xinitrc".

I hope that is understandable.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

edoc

Re: Did you post it in "Additional Sssoftware" as well

#2159 Post by edoc »

nancy reagan wrote:
Hi Tronkel,

I was wondering of late whether all the additional software that is mentioned in the "projects" posts, are also linked in the "additional siftwar" forum, so that they do not get lost (say for future generations ... grr) ?...
What would be the approximate space and bandwidth requirement for such a host, please?

I *may* be able to offer that resource. There seems very little, other than breaking things and "evangelizing for Puppy", that I otherwise can add to the project.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

mrd

#2160 Post by mrd »

Thanks abushcrafter! I get it now! I was mostly wanting this information because the network_tray app does not give me an option to reconnect when sometimes resuming from standby and the wifi network is either disconnected or in a weird state. I found in the source that it probably needs some enhancement to detect that there are no new bytes received after the resume. It thinks that there are bytes received and increments flagactive so that the "reconnect" menu option does not appear.

Maybe Barry will have a look?