Ubuntu Studio: "Puppy Edition"

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
l0wt3ch

#141 Post by l0wt3ch »

@calexand: Thanks!

@ciento: Hope you like! (How'd you know?)

@RetroTechGuy: The rule of thumb is to make sure you have 30+ mb of ram free (gauge on bottom right corner). For the next release, I intend to make the "lite" version much smaller.

battleshooter

#142 Post by battleshooter »

@ l0wt3ch

Glad to see you back man. What you're doing is good, even if people don't seem to respond.

Battleshooter
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

l0wt3ch

#143 Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks Battleshooter!

l0wt3ch

#144 Post by l0wt3ch »

I have successfully integrated the new realtime kernel into the livecd.

The next release will feature kernel 2.6.33.5-rt25 by default.

siabost

#145 Post by siabost »

Excellent news l0wt3ch, all round!

Quick Q - I'd like to upgrade Rakarrack from the 0.3 version included to the current 0.5.8 & I'm told I need an extra file(s) in order to compile from source. Used to do it in Ubuntu but haven't tried it in Puppy yet.

What do I need and how do I do it? Given that I'm a little puzzled by the package manager!

Oh, BTW, what's your dog's name? Not Cupcake, by any chance? I don't think he's suffered in any war, though; more likely shocked by the presence of Jesus & Mary in his Out house! :shock: :D :wink:

Thanks again.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#146 Post by Lobster »

Linux sound programs and resources
http://sound.condorow.net/one-page.html
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

siabost

#147 Post by siabost »

Thanks Lobster,

That's one heck of a resource which I will certainly delve into.

Trouble is, once I have the source code (tarball) do I treat it the same way as in Ubuntu or do I require something puppyishly extra?

Pre-Lucid all seemed to be well worked and tight but we seem to be between two stools at the moment e.g. I can choose 5 repos but there are many more listed as standard (various Puppy ones) than that. Can I enable those? Should I? Will I endanger my current Pup-Lucy install? And what can I gain by doing so?

So many questions but so far the answers have been good. :D

siabost

#148 Post by siabost »

Hi All,

Back on topic...

Gear:
Presario R3000 Laptop
2.8Ghz Celeron
1424Mb
Kernel: 2.6.33.2(i686) [original as installed]

Tried Rosegarden in UsPE3 with it controlling a couple of synths & Hydrogen + a couple of audio tracks.
It plays everything, just, but with the following notice:
System Timer Resolution is too low.
Rosegarden was unable to find a high-resolution timing source for MIDI performance.
You may be able to solve this problem by loading the RTC timer kernel module. To do this run sudo modprobe snd-rtctimer in terminal.
Alternatively, check whether your Linux distributor provides a multimedia-optimized kernel.
Currently I'm running a latency setting of 11.6ms in Jack (which is the default) so I'm wondering if increasing this will sort the problem?
Or maybe I'm somehow not running an RT kernel in the original full install?
Further up this thread l0wt3ch has released 2.6.33.5-rt25 as a "pet" but I'm not sure how to add this via the package manager.

BTW, I've not "modprobe"d anything yet as I'm hoping 2.6.33.5-rt25 will solve it.

Sorry to be so green about the gills re Puppy-stuff but I am really enjoying working with UsPE3.

Onwards & upwards (the learning curve, that is).

Thanks.

shako

I have a scrambling of lines of text on scrolling when readi

#149 Post by shako »

Siaboost
I have been having this trouble too with other puppies recently, scroll down with the down arrow avoids this but I don't know of a fix yet.

siabost

#150 Post by siabost »

Thanks shako,

That tip will help for now. I really need this laptop for audio work so if that's the trick just now it will do.

Meantime I've installed 2.6.33.5-rt25 which seems to work fine except that I still get the issue with Rosegarden noted in my previous post so it's probably unrelated to the kernel.

If anyone is familiar with Rosegarden any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

ciento

#151 Post by ciento »

put these words in google, after you make a new pot of coffee :wink:

rosegarden timer 1000 kernel patch

siabost

#152 Post by siabost »

Thanks ciento.

How about a pot of tea?

Thought I'd been through all the Rosegarden stuff but after doing your Google I found this (it confirms my suspicions since my last post):
http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/wiki/fre ... _questions
[quote]What does "System timer resolution is too low" mean?

If you see this message in an error dialog when Rosegarden starts up, then you are probably using a Linux kernel that doesn't offer sufficiently high-resolution system timers for MIDI use.

Rosegarden uses ALSA sequencer queue scheduling (inside the Linux kernel) for its MIDI output. The sequencer queue can use a variety of timing sources, of which the default is the kernel system timer. The kernel system timer was 1000 Hz in Linux 2.6 kernels up to 2.6.12, but as of 2.6.13 it's now 250 Hz in mainline kernels. This is not good enough for good MIDI timing.

Your options are:

1. Switch the sequencer to use a different timing source (Settings → Configure Rosegarden… → MIDI → Sequencer timing source). The best one in theory is the RTC timer, which is only available if you have snd-rtctimer loaded, but unfortunately that has a habit of totally locking some systems running real-time kernels. Meanwhile, the PCM timers only work if the JACK audio server is running, and suffer jitter corresponding to the JACK buffer size.

2. Recompile your kernel with system timer set to 1000 Hz. Sadly there's no way to change this without a recompile. It's the best solution though.

3. Switch to a different Linux distribution that provides a kernel more appropriate for multimedia use.

4. Put up with the poorer timing of a 250 Hz timer (if you want to get rid of the warning while continuing to use this timer, set the timer source to “system timer

calexand

#153 Post by calexand »

Anybody else having trouble reaching the download site for version 3.1? All I can find are the pet folder and a link for the parent directory...
CA

siabost

#154 Post by siabost »

@calexand

Me too... :(

P123

#155 Post by P123 »

Same problem. :cry:

calexand

#156 Post by calexand »

Hello Lowtech,
Appears to be a problem with access to your storage/download area, can this be repaired, many of us are chomping at the bits to get your latest creation?
Again, thanks for all your hard work!
CA

l0wt3ch

#157 Post by l0wt3ch »

Hey guys.

Thanks for the bug report about midi and the new kernel. I don't actually use midi, so I had no way of knowing. (Any firewire testers out there? :-) )

As for the downloading problems, I shall message russoodle (who generously hosts my iso files), and see.

I'm actually working out of town right now, and don't have a computer. But I'll see what I can do about that midi problem when I get back.
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Sat 02 Oct 2010, 16:16, edited 2 times in total.

russoodle

accessing the folders

#158 Post by russoodle »

Hi guys,

Just tuned in and saw the posts about d/l issues....should be right to go now, i changed the permissions and the folders are now showing when you click the d/l link....sorry for inconvenience :? Go get 'em! :D

@10wt3ch: there've been several visitors who've followed links from softpedia and elsewhere who are still looking to d/l your other releases, even v1.9, so if you want to restore any back onto the server, that's ok.

Have a great weekend, all..
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

l0wt3ch

#159 Post by l0wt3ch »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

I hadn't thought of those following links to older versions, but I deleted them from your server because they take up so much space, and because the new version far exceeds the old ones. It has everything the old ones did, but MUCH smaller. (And with an RT kernel, to boot!) Unfortunately, I'm in no position to upload right now. (Too bad I couldn't redirect those people to this post!)

Thanks again, russoodle!

RetroTechGuy

#160 Post by RetroTechGuy »

l0wt3ch wrote:Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

I hadn't thought of those following links to older versions, but I deleted them from your server because they take up so much space, and because the new version far exceeds the old ones. It has everything the old ones did, but MUCH smaller. (And with an RT kernel, to boot!) Unfortunately, I'm in no position to upload right now. (Too bad I couldn't redirect those people to this post!)

Thanks again, russoodle!
Could a symbolic link from the (missing) old version point to the current version? Or simply direct them to the base folder....
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]