4.3.2-SCSI 2.6.30.5 full older modem support

News, happenings
scsijon

scsijon-box2

#41 Post by scsijon »

sorry, couldn't wait, :? should be in the garden pulling weeds :lol:, but.... :lol: puppy rules!

box 2 has ati video card (gigabyte 4350), dialup modem card (winmodem from netcomm), and a usb2 card

lspci here (doesn't seem to have all info others do, like what they mean)
---------------------------------
00:00.0 Class 0600: 8086:2770 (rev 02)
00:01.0 Class 0604: 8086:2771 (rev 02)
00:1c.0 Class 0604: 8086:27d0 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 Class 0604: 8086:27d2 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 Class 0c03: 8086:27c8 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 Class 0c03: 8086:27c9 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 Class 0c03: 8086:27ca (rev 01)
00:1d.3 Class 0c03: 8086:27cb (rev 01)
00:1d.7 Class 0c03: 8086:27cc (rev 01)
00:1e.0 Class 0604: 8086:244e (rev e1)
00:1f.0 Class 0601: 8086:27b8 (rev 01)
00:1f.1 Class 0101: 8086:27df (rev 01)
00:1f.2 Class 0101: 8086:27c0 (rev 01)
00:1f.3 Class 0c05: 8086:27da (rev 01)
01:00.0 Class 0300: 1002:954f
01:00.1 Class 0403: 1002:aa38
04:00.0 Class 0780: 11c1:044c (rev 02)
-----------------------

Problems found:

1/ on install noticed on first screen (f1):
------------
Login [15166]: root login on 'tty1"

Warning: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernal/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko': no such file or directory
Fatal: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/ketnal/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko' No such file or directory.

2/ Video installed ok in vesa

In x-org seemed to probe ok, but when it restarted X, colours were mixed and fonts, "backlit"
Dropped back to # and retried with xorgconfig, same result, eventually worked out every second drop to # and xwin start was bad

Will try selecting instead of probe and see what happens (will amend this when tried)

ammendment: :D
tried selections for all three ati combinations and vesa, all fail and don't select frequencies, ended up going back to the xvesa from first screen of xorgwizard, which works marvelously. :? BTW, this just drops you back to the prompt, there is no message to type in xwin to start, maybe a line or two is needed for newbies..... :lol:

3/ Modem found and initialised first time, but the initialization took a lot of time (maybe a warning needs to be inserted)

4/ package installs ok both online and from memstick

more later, I must get some work done out there :roll:

regards
scsijon

edit:ammeded for video
Last edited by scsijon on Mon 20 Sep 2010, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

runtt21

#42 Post by runtt21 »

ttuuxxx said ," Plus it will have a much newer backend compared to 5 series"

Yeah!!! :D

Does that include the X11 stuff ?

Country Bumkin

#43 Post by Country Bumkin »

Some minor items to fix....

Gparted - swapoff function fails with this error message.

swapoff: invalid option -- v
BusyBox v1.15.0.svn (2009-07-25 18:23:53 GMT-8) multi-call binary

Usage: swapoff [-a] [DEVICE]

Stop swapping on DEVICE

Options:
-a Stop swapping on all swap devices

Also the inclusion of ntpdate is useful but /etc/services file is missing these entries for ntp

ntp 123/tcp
ntp 123/udp

Regards C Bumkin

clarf

#44 Post by clarf »

A newer backend for 4.3.2, Great ttuuxxx a smart move...

About the usb modules errors, If I do a rmmod for all the usb modules (usbcore, usbhid, usb_storage, etc) and then I try to reload them, I get the same error:
Warning: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko': no such file or directory
Fatal: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko' No such file or directory.
Fatal: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko' No such file or directory.
Those modules exists and are loaded by initrd at boot (for this reason they are shown by lsmod), later these files in initrd are copied to '/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/initrd/, but actually they are not seen by the modprobe command after Puppy transfers control from initrd.

modprobe should load these "transferred" initrd modules that are not located in the zp432305.sfs FileSystem, that´s the way it work in other Puppies to save some space and avoid use of redundant files already present in initrd. But I don´t see a custom modprobe script like in earlier Puppies...

I Should read Woof documentation about it. There is no reason to copy initrd modules if modprobe doesn´t use them, there is some weird bug here.

Greetings,
clarf

Stripe

#45 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Regarding the usb module errors, they do not happen on a full install.

Have been having a good look at the video/audio, and it is as good as it gets, (seems slightly better using smplayer-0.6.7-i386.pet, but that needs the qt4-4.3.2.pet about 7mb for the pair, and I dont think gxine and pmusic would get anywhere near that)

Have been looking for other options, to make the guis more user friendly and better looking while still retaining the quality and size but havent found anything yet..

Stripe

abushcrafter

#46 Post by abushcrafter »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

Regarding the usb module errors, they do not happen on a full install.

Have been having a good look at the video/audio, and it is as good as it gets, (seems slightly better using smplayer-0.6.7-i386.pet, but that needs the qt4-4.3.2.pet about 7mb for the pair, and I dont think gxine and pmusic would get anywhere near that)

Have been looking for other options, to make the guis more user friendly and better looking while still retaining the quality and size but havent found anything yet..

Stripe
Have you tried my Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - [PET] SMplayer 0.6.9.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

clarf

#47 Post by clarf »

Hi,

Just found that executing the command "depmod-FULL" solves the problems with initrd modules not loaded by modprobe, and of course solves the usb errors shown when xwin is initiated.

A "depmod -a" don´t do the work, the rc.sysinit script executes "depmod" at line 181 but it should be replaced by depmod-FULL.

Barry already reported problems using busybox depmod applet (http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00861) with 64MB or less RAM systems. Later, he compiled a new Busybox 1.14.2 and the depmod applet worked in that low RAM conditions, he tested modprobe and modinfo and they worked fine with the 'modules.' files created by the new depmod applet.

But he doesn´t mention that depmod applet fails to add the lib/modules/$KERNVER/initrd modules to the dependency file (this file is later used by modprobe to automatically load the correct module). Any initiramfs module copied to the main system will fail to load with modprobe.

I wonder if Barry haven´t seen this problem, are other Woof builds having the same problem?.

Are you using the last Woof build ttuuxxx?. I´m new to the Woof system and their related bugs, but I´ll be watching any news.

Greetings,
clarf

ttuuxxx

#48 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi clarf thanks for the fix :), Yes I'm using the latest woof, I updated to it, maybe Barry hasn't updated the script yet?
Thanks for that once again:)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Stripe

#49 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Thanks Clarif, I managed to change line 181 in the rc.sysinit script from depmod to depmod-FULL (technical for me LOL)

just testing pupshot out with 432 as it seems a lot better and easier to use than mpaints screen capture.

Cheers
Stripe
Attachments
pupshot.test.jpg
(85.62 KiB) Downloaded 578 times

8-bit

#50 Post by 8-bit »

Abiword crashes on selecting "Create or Modify Styles"
I had a version of Puppy 431 SCSI installed frugally with same kernel (Barry's Creation), and I upgraded Abiword using a Pet of a later version.
But currently my mind is blank and I cannot remember who did it.
Also, my 250meg SCSI zip drive was recognized when I inserted a disk.
And my sound card ws not recognized until I ran alsawizard.
Other than that, it is good so far.
Point of interest in Seamonkey! In the lower right hand corner is a word that says Disabled. If you right-click on it, it enables Adblock.

I do not know why I mentioned Abiword though as it seems most users never use it.
I have though.
Will have to try printing to CUPS PDF and see if it works.

sullysat

#51 Post by sullysat »

I use Abiword quite a bit and have the same issue with the standard 4.3.1 version. If there's a fix or an update that can take care of this, I'd really like to know what it is.

Thanks for mentioning this 8-bit

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

gcmartin

Problems with this Puppy

#52 Post by gcmartin »

Couple Sundays ago, I posted 2 problems: sr0 and sr1 icon fails when a CD/DVD is loaded and you try to see contents on desktop.
AND
I do not see SCSI drives on a "non-raid controller.

Anyone know why? Are these things suppose to work???
Is there any information that I can gather that could/would shed light on either of these?

Thanks in advance.

Stripe

#53 Post by Stripe »

Deadbeef audio player is looking good installs straight from its Deb file (1010k)

Stripe

James C

#54 Post by James C »

Not a big thing, but on most reboots I need to reset my internet connection.....frugal install on old P3 with wired ethernet.

clarf

#55 Post by clarf »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

Thanks Clarif, I managed to change line 181 in the rc.sysinit script from depmod to depmod-FULL (technical for me LOL)
Cheers Stripe,

It´s just a temporal workaround, when we were searching the real cause of the problem. As Barry stated at his blog (and I totally agree) the full fix is update busybox to the latest pet used for other woof builds.

clarf

James C

#56 Post by James C »

Still testing.................. :lol:

James C

#57 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Not a big thing, but on most reboots I need to reset my internet connection.....frugal install on old P3 with wired ethernet.
Just to update.........problem appears to be solved by switching from SNS to the Classic Network Wizard.Connection is persistent now.

James C

#58 Post by James C »

Posting from 432 right now, run it some everyday and still working fine. :)

PupGeek

Not seeing my scsi hard drives

#59 Post by PupGeek »

I have a Dell Poweredge 1800 server that I intend to repurpose for extra storage and processing power (i.e. distributed rendering, etc.). I tried this puplet and it booted up fine with no problems, video or otherwise. It did not see my scsi hard drives. I have 4 of them and they are each 73 GB. They were originally connected to a RAID controller and I disconnected them from there and plugged them into the motherboard scsi port, as I intend to use them independently. Right now, I am nowhere near my server, so I cannot obtain specs on my particular unit. I am providing a link to Dell's spec sheet for this model, however.

http://www.andovercg.com/datasheets/del ... server.pdf

tempestuous

#60 Post by tempestuous »

First let me give you some technical background:
- all versions of Puppy support SCSI ... but not booting from SCSI, unless you have a special version with modified initrd - like "4.3.2-SCSI" which you have obviously found.
- Puppy supports RAID, but again, booting from RAID will usually involve a customised initrd.
PupGeek wrote:It did not see my scsi hard drives. I have 4 of them and they are each 73 GB. They were originally connected to a RAID controller and I disconnected them from there and plugged them into the motherboard scsi port
From the Dell spec sheet and Google it appears that your onboard SCSI adaptor is LSI Logic 1020/1030 Fusion-MPT.
Sadly, this is one of the few SCSI devices not enabled in the Puppy kernel configuration. It would be relatively easy to add this driver ("mptspi") to any Puppy version ... but if you want to boot via this interface it becomes a more complex undertaking to add the new driver to the initrd and rebuild the Puppy CD image.

Here's a simpler solution: get youself a SATA hard drive (an old one will do), connect it to the motherboard, and install Puppy to this drive. I would use Puppy 5.1.
Reconnect the 4x SCSI drives to the RAID adapter, and these drives are now purely for storage. A RAID adapter is a worthwhile asset. If you want maximum storage capacity, configure the RAID bios for RAID-0. The 4 SCSC drives will be seen as a single 280GB drive.
Or if you want full mirror backup, configure the RAID bios for RAID-1. Obviously the usable size will be 140GB.

Apparently your SCSI RAID adapter is an LSI PERC 4. This is a full hardware RAID adapter, which Puppy supports via the megaraid driver.