Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 14:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Which Adobe Flash to install?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Author Message
B.K. Johnson

Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep 2010, 23:53    Post subject:  Which Adobe Flash to install?  

Lucid 5.1 is performing flawlessly on my Intel box with 512MB. My browser is SeaMonkey 2.0.6 and while I was online it got updated to 2.0.7 by the site. The line has dropped a couple times while downloading but I'm unsure that it is the pup's fault. Nevertheless, I was able to resume every download and complete perfectly. Then there was PMirrorget which allowed me to grab documentation complete with links. That alone has saved me hours for I would have had to laboriously and manually link such docs in the past. I'm beside myself. Luv the critter! I'm chomping at the bit to show it off to my Windows friends. Thanks guys.

But I have a problem that needs the wisdom of the gurus.
When I installed Firefox from QuickPet a message stated that I should update Flash (security reasons) and I clicked on the link. At the Adobe site, what "version to download" should I choose?.
YUM for Linux
large for Linux
rpm for Linux
deb for Ubuntu 8.04+
APT for Ubuntu 9.04+

B.K. Johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
RetroTechGuy


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 2668
Location: USA

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep 2010, 21:44    Post subject: Re: Which Adobe Flash to install?  

B.K. Johnson wrote:
Lucid 5.1 is performing flawlessly on my Intel box with 512MB. My browser is SeaMonkey 2.0.6 and while I was online it got updated to 2.0.7 by the site. The line has dropped a couple times while downloading but I'm unsure that it is the pup's fault. Nevertheless, I was able to resume every download and complete perfectly. Then there was PMirrorget which allowed me to grab documentation complete with links. That alone has saved me hours for I would have had to laboriously and manually link such docs in the past. I'm beside myself. Luv the critter! I'm chomping at the bit to show it off to my Windows friends. Thanks guys.

But I have a problem that needs the wisdom of the gurus.
When I installed Firefox from QuickPet a message stated that I should update Flash (security reasons) and I clicked on the link. At the Adobe site, what "version to download" should I choose?.
YUM for Linux
large for Linux
rpm for Linux
deb for Ubuntu 8.04+
APT for Ubuntu 9.04+

B.K. Johnson


I don't know... I went here:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FlashPlayer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
disciple

Joined: 20 May 2006
Posts: 6430
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep 2010, 01:53    Post subject:  

Since Lucid Puppy is based on Ubuntu 10.x you'd probably be best trying a package for Ubuntu. I wonder if you can get a Flash package for the right version of Ubuntu at the Ubuntu website...

FWIW I don't think most puppy users perceive the security threat to be big enough to bother upgrading Flash, especially since new Flash versions are notorious for breaking things on Linux.
Those of us who are concerned about the security threat probably don't have Flash at all Smile

_________________
DEATH TO SPREADSHEETS
- - -
Classic Puppy quotes
- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
technosaurus


Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 4348

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 11:14    Post subject:  

I recommend installing the latest flash9 and changing the internal version number so that stupid websites think you are using 10.1
_________________
Web Programming - Pet Packaging 100 & 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jpeps

Joined: 31 May 2008
Posts: 3220

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 12:13    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
I recommend installing the latest flash9 and changing the internal version number so that stupid websites think you are using 10.1

I've been using 10.1 for a while now without issue (using FF).

hint:
Code:

rm -r /root/.macromedia/Flash_Player/\#SharedObjects/*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
technosaurus


Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 4348

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 16:23    Post subject:  

jpeps wrote:
I've been using 10.1 for a while now without issue (using FF).

hint:
Code:

rm -r /root/.macromedia/Flash_Player/\#SharedObjects/*

yes - it works but not any better than flash9, and it is 50% larger with 50% more dependencies - some of which are unnecessary unless you are using a mozilla browser

The only reason flash9 won't normally play on some websites is because of the site's javascript that looks for "Shockwave Flash #.# r##" and refuses to play if the ## values are less than some arbitrarily determined value from the script they stole from some other site that may actually have needed 10.x to demo some rarely used feature.

But hey - if it works for you, great - I'm just saying that it is normally unnecessary (flash9 is still being updated btw)

to know the exact version you have:
Code:
strings /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so |grep "^Shockwave Flash "

feel free to have some fun with sed and set it to any version you want, but don't screw up the global offset table (string must stay the same size).

also if you change the version number on flash10 to say that it is 9.0 rXXX the same sites magically don't play

It turns out that typically the people who write flash don't also write the javascript, so the html/javascript guys are often over-conservative, because they just don't know and/or would rather put the leg work to the end user than actually have to maintain a database of requirements because it has somehow become acceptable for users to have to upgrade their flash player almost weekly.... so I set mine to some crazy futuristic number (again the maintainers would rather be lazy than set a max version that would have to change later) and only upgrade when I feel like it (usually only if its a fix to a well known security issue)

_________________
Web Programming - Pet Packaging 100 & 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jpeps

Joined: 31 May 2008
Posts: 3220

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 18:05    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
jpeps wrote:
I've been using 10.1 for a while now without issue (using FF).

hint:
Code:

rm -r /root/.macromedia/Flash_Player/\#SharedObjects/*

yes - it works but not any better than flash9, and it is 50% larger with 50% more dependencies - some of which are unnecessary unless you are using a mozilla browser

For curiosity's sake Smile I compared 10.1 with 9.0.280. 10.1 uses an
extra 4M, and depends on a few extra libs, all of which are in base:

libnspr4.so => /usr/lib/libnspr4.so (0xb6110000)
libnss3.so => /usr/lib/libnss3.so (0xb614e000)
libnssutil3.so => /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so (0xb5cc9000)
libplc4.so => /usr/lib/libplc4.so (0xb6145000)
libplds4.so => /usr/lib/libplds4.so (0xb614a000)
libsmime3.so => /usr/lib/libsmime3.so (0xb6261000)
libssl3.so => /usr/lib/libssl3.so (0xb6286000)
libsmime3.so => /usr/lib/libsmime3.so (0xb6261000)
libplc4.so => /usr/lib/libplc4.so (0xb6145000)
libplds4.so => /usr/lib/libplds4.so (0xb614a000)

Interestingly, for some reason 10.1 required less resources to run the same video (>34M less). [Tested with FF 3.6.10, libflash-10.1.53.64]

Video on the significance of Video...(YouTube: 18M hours per day)!
http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/09/19/anderson.youtube.innovation/index.html?hpt=C2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
technosaurus


Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 4348

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 20:40    Post subject:  

flash10 does have some hardware video acceleration support - you must have one of the cards that can take advantage of it - unfortunately none of mine so far can Sad ... at least with my setup, I haven't tried it with full Xorg yet (xorg_xorg_full_dri)... so that may help, but draws in an extra several ??MB

all of those extra libraries aren't needed if you use midori (or any webkit browser) or maybe? opera ... it saves ~8mb uncompressed off of a remaster - not to mention using a static webkit compiled midori saves ~25MB uncompressed compared to firefox and ~30MB compared to seamonkey (only 15-20MB though, if you use a shared libwebkit and dependencies)

..so if you have a mozilla browser and a decent video card with the full Xorg, its probably worth the extra 4MB to use flash10

one difference I did notice was flash9 seemed to buffer more content before playing (kind of annoying but then again so are constant pauses and it could account for some of the extra resource usage)

_________________
Web Programming - Pet Packaging 100 & 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jpeps

Joined: 31 May 2008
Posts: 3220

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 21:49    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:


one difference I did notice was flash9 seemed to buffer more content before playing (kind of annoying but then again so are constant pauses and it could account for some of the extra resource usage)


With FF:

With both 9 & 10, it uses the .mozilla/firefox directory to cache videos...you can watch it grow (rapidly!) as the video plays. With earlier versions, I seem to recall the cache deleted automatically as soon as the video ended, but now it seems to stay there. It helps to have a button on the tray somewhere to delete all cache:

Code:

#!/bin/ash
### Close FF
VAR="$(pidof firefox-bin)"   
kill -15 "$VAR"
#### clean cache
cd /root/.mozilla
CACHE="$(find | grep -i "cache")"
for I in `echo "$CACHE"`; do
rm  "$I"
done

## delete Flash LSO's
rm -r /root/.macromedia/Flash_Player/\#SharedObjects/* 
exit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
linuxsansdisquedur


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 250
Location: South of France

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 16:57    Post subject:  new way to don't need flash 10 on surfing ?????  

Quote:
I recommend installing the latest flash9 and changing the internal version number so that stupid websites think you are using 10.1

Shocked How do you do such a thing teknozorus Question
(speak slowly Tek i'm a quite absolute noob in coding Confused )

_________________
le max avec le min
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
linuxsansdisquedur


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 250
Location: South of France

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:55    Post subject:  trying make a fake flash10 in puppy 2  

Shocked ...searching the forum (long life to it will give long life to puppy)
try this
Code:
VER=`strings libflashplayer.so | grep -e "^Shockwave Flash [.\d+]*" | sed -e "s/Shockwave Flash //g"`
cat libflashplayer.so |sed -e "s/$VER/10.1 r99/g" >/usr/local/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

(i use pizzapup -with really puppy2 inside Wink - where libflashplayer.so is in /usr/local/firefox/plugins)
NO WAY it just make my libflash a 68K file unusable and ff2 crasher Twisted Evil

_________________
le max avec le min
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
technosaurus


Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 4348

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:40    Post subject: Re: trying make a fake flash10 in puppy 2  

linuxsansdisquedur wrote:

Code:
VER=`strings libflashplayer.so | grep -e "^Shockwave Flash [.\d+]*" | sed -e "s/Shockwave Flash //g"`
cat libflashplayer.so |sed -e "s/$VER/10.1 r99/g" >/usr/local/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so



edit FLASHLOC to be your actual plugin location in this updated script

Code:
#!/bin/sh
FLASHLOC=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
NEWVER="10.1 r"
VER=`strings $FLASHLOC | grep -e "^Shockwave Flash [.\d+]*" | sed -e "s/Shockwave Flash //g"`
while [ "${#NEWVER}" -lt "${#VER}" ]
do
NEWVER=${NEWVER}9
done
sed -i "s/$VER/$NEWVER/g" $FLASHLOC
echo "fake updated flash from " $VER to $NEWVER

_________________
Web Programming - Pet Packaging 100 & 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
linuxsansdisquedur


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 250
Location: South of France

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep 2010, 15:09    Post subject:    

Over great: IT WORKS Shocked
good olddog pizzapup can run for a while as the puppy it was Very Happy
quite a miracle Tech for old puppy users banned from discriminator websites Razz
be worth being all-forum-famous Wink

_________________
le max avec le min
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0934s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0060s) ][ GZIP on ]