Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 08:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Saluki, Puppy Remastered
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 14 of 24 [351 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
raffy

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 08:46    Post subject: hosts  

jemimah wrote:
I've been thinking about how to handle collaboration for this project..

Thoughts?

Ah, now I recall tuxfamily.org and launcpad.net - both are very good project hosts. Of course, googlecode is still there.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 10:39    Post subject:  

I thought the blog was a good idea and created one here
http://puppysaluki.posterous.com/

Stripe and 8bit as you are founder testers send me a PM (personal message) with an email address and you can join the blog posters
or try out the comments section . . .

Hope that is a good idea Confused

We is Saluki
We has Blog and wiki

jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 12:28    Post subject:  

My intention is not to replace existing services. I am not planning for it to be a Wiki even.

The idea is to create a collaboration platform for the contributers. The only people that would necessarily use it are me, Technosaurus, Big_Bass, Ttuuxxx, and anyone else that wants to contribute. When the project is over, the site would be decommissioned. (So I guess it's you guys' opinion I actually want).

The major reason not to use a hosted solution, like google code, is flexibility. I can probably make something more user friendly and useful. Features could be added as we need them. All the developers can have full administrative access.

The point of picking Tiki, would be that all of this could be done without writing any code.

Even if it ends up that I am the only content contributor, I'd probably still create something like this for my own book keeping. 200 page forum threads are not exactly an ideal way to organize information.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 13:20    Post subject: Collaboration  

Even though I am not on your team, just a note that "may" reduce your workload consideratbly.

I have used Google for collaboration projects over the past 3 years. I have found it to be an excellent method for a "closed" project team. Nothing to invent or maintain, and simply works to the team's advantage.

Of course, Lotus Notes is the premire for projects as well. And contains everything any project can imagine.

Google Docs, is by far, the most advanced of public tools for it has some extensive privacy protection built in.

So that you can focus on your project and not on your tool(s) or its maintenance in collaboration is the ONLY reason I'm suggesting this to you.

I have no aspirations, I am not a trumpeter of Google, and I only mention this to help. If it helps, use it.

jpeps

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 13:29    Post subject:  

chrismt wrote:
I wish Puppy 6 will have multiple users account support so that it will become a widely accepted linux distro for anyone like what Ubuntu is now.

I've seen some gui's posted that do that, but using "adduser" is simple. I posted a build script for sudo-1.7.4 in utilities.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60258
Minnesota

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 17:43    Post subject: project administation  

jemimah:

I sincerely trust and hope I have misunderstood your intent with what appears to be the idea of a closed forum for discussion and development. I understand the pitfalls of everything in the open.. but you have a lot of contributors on this forum who have may years of valuable experience. Some of us do not chime up very often, as we are not currently coders... but have years and years of valuable experience with systems and software....and lots of test machines and hardware.

Yes long threads can be confusing and their must be a better way... but please do not shut out our comments. Many of us use the forum daily. And when appropriate make a contribution.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 18:26    Post subject:  

I don't intend to create any closed forums.

The idea is to have something better than a forum thread. Whoever wants to, can contribute.

My point was, I'm not trying to replace the Puppy Wiki, or this forum. The only people who would care about the new site would be Saluki contributors.

For Puppeee I use both this forum, and the puppeee blog/forum - I get different contributors in each place. In fact, the Puppeee website has been a lot busier than the murga-linux forum thread recently.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 19:19    Post subject:  

Jemimah/Minnesota my words of "closed" only was meant to reflect that controls are in place to exercise how contributions can be made/managed. In reflection, "closed" was a bad word and better word(s) could have be used.

Sorry for any confusion that was caused.

Dragynn

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 19:24    Post subject:  

I'd just like to point out that a Saluki is one of the fastest dogs on earth, this level of speed and grace is only achieved by the fact that there isn't an ounce of wasted space on a dog of this sort, lean and swift, no extra baggage.....

Why re-invent the wheel? ...

"As per my usual habit of reinventing the wheel, I have created my own basic version control system, named Bones."

~Barry Kauler
http://bkhome.org/woof/index.html

...'cause that's how puppies are born. Wink

"Where people wish to attach, they should always be ignorant. To come with a well-informed mind is to come with an inability of administering to the vanity of others which a sensible person would always wish to avoid."
~Jane Austen
raffy

PostPosted: Mon 27 Sep 2010, 19:27    Post subject: webcollab  

Well, if the coordinator wants to try groupware for greater productivity and record-keeping, why not?

May I suggest webcollab, as it seems to be a mature collaboration suite? (I have seen the size of Tikiwiki since years ago and always get sleepless nights thinking about maintaining it. Embarassed )

We still have servage.net hosting, and we can use a domain for it, like puppyce.org.

technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep 2010, 13:26    Post subject:  

does anyone know of experimentation with something like:

LD_PRELOAD [a_bunch_of_libs] /sbin/init

I wonder if this would allow you to unmount an entire filesystem containing all of the libraries and put them in a usable place.

using the --as-needed LDFLAG may be required??? ... maybe dummy libs too?

jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 29 Sep 2010, 20:04    Post subject:  

I built the latest gnash, and while obviously a bit buggy, I think it could almost pass in place of Flashplayer. I had some trouble with some YouTube videos, but 80-90% of them work. Haven't tested flash games yet.

My gnash build is 6.9MB uncompressed with a static libboost, and could probably be smaller if optimized. I also expect better performance as gnash can render with openGL and uses ffmpeg for video playback.

EDIT: I am now having zero problems with youtube in Chrome. Maybe firefox is the culprit.

Flash games maybe half of them work and video from sites other than youtube... a bit iffy.
afgs

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010, 01:23    Post subject:  

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=454972#454972
saluki_logo_text.png
 Description   
 Filesize   32.38 KB
 Viewed   959 Time(s)

saluki_logo_text.png

jpeps

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010, 04:39    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
I built the latest gnash, and while obviously a bit buggy, I think it could almost pass in place of Flashplayer. I had some trouble with some YouTube videos, but 80-90% of them work. Haven't tested flash games yet.

IMHO, that alone relegates the distro to non-usable for all but special purposes.

(oops....please, not another flash discussion.... Smile
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 30 Sep 2010, 04:51    Post subject:  

thanks afgs, have added to wiki page and will modify blog shortly
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy6

Page 14 of 24 [351 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: