pdfedit & compiling

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
muggins

pdfedit & compiling

#1 Post by muggins »

people often post requests for such&such a package to be compiled. i've compiled a few small things without problems, but i have a greater appreciation of mu's efforts after trying to compile pdfedit. it didn't involve any exhaustive search for libraries...the only additional library it required was the boost c++ library, which i got already compiled from:

http://lp.slackwaresupport.com/Slackwar ... 6-1asz.tgz

five hours later & it was still compiling, before i terminated it! i'll start it up again overnight.

maybe i need to get more ram...or follow the advice i gave to a friend who rang me with windows XP problems...i told him to grow some spuds & go fishing.

debernardis

#2 Post by debernardis »

I tried to install the debian package from http://varun.travisbsd.org/debian_packages/pdfedit/ using the debian installer. The program starts but unfortunately crashes each time I try to open a pdf file. So, in order to annotate a pdf a good choice is still foxit pdf reader for windows under wine.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

I tried compiling a slightly older version, and was getting weird errors that meant nothing to me. Then the other day I tried the generic linux rpm in Puppy 2.14, and I had to install glibc-2.4 and a newer libstdc++ and qt, and then when I tried to run it I just got a "floating point exception error". I might try compiling the latest version...

disciple

pdfedit almost working

#4 Post by disciple »

I still can't compile the latest version, but in Puppy 2.16 I tried installing the latest Debian package, along with Debian packages for libt1 and libpaper. It almost works - it runs, but when you try to open a pdf it crashes with:

Code: Select all

pdfedit: symbol lookup error: pdfedit: undefined symbol: _ZN7QStringC1ERKSs
The same happens in Grafpup 2, although I also had to install a libstdc++ dotpup.

Theres also a bunch of messages when pdfedit is run (so before opening a file) about not being able to find fonts and paper information, and in Puppy about invalid things in the config file, but I don't think any of this matters.

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Refreshing an older thread :

PDFEdit v. 0.4.3 can be found here, among other mirrors:
http://mirrors.hpcf.upr.edu/ftp/pub/Mir ... 1_i386.deb

It's a Ubuntu .deb file, but the newer puppies (v. 4.3.1 and newer, including quirky / wary versions) can incorporate (install) .deb files directly.

I found that I needed the following dependencies to get it to work:

qt3: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -3.3.8.pet
nas-libs, pet made from nas-libs-1.9.1-5.fc11.i586.rpm package (see attached)
Attachments
nas-libs-1.9.1-5.pet
lib dependency for PDFEdit-0.4.3
(72.8 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

I imagine you could find a package of 0.4.5 somewhere too.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

@disciple:
Thanks for the info, I'll look it up !

@all

I've been revisiting pdf utilities for my work and for a workshop at my professional association, and I came up with a pet package...I thought sharing it with all you Puppy-ists out there would be appropriate! :D

So... it's here: http://limelinx.com/files/dc503b74df836 ... d291614b9b

And here's a little blurb about it. (It's in the docs, too.)

/////////////////////////////
musher0's note about pdf utilities, Sept. 25, 2010
==================================================

This is a trimmed down xpdf package... without xpdf. Since most new Puppies come with epdfview, it seemed like an overkill to include the actual xpdf executable, however good it may be.

The same reasoning was applied to the exclusion of pdftops and pdftopppm. pdftops being replaced with the native print-to-PDF default printer, and,judging from the man files, it seemed pdftoppm overlapped what pdftoimages is doing.

pdftotext is ok if you just need to consult some pdf as text, for some reason, but it is a bit short if you want to edit pdf files in a word processor or html editor and resave ("re-print" ?) your work in pdf format. So I replaced it with pdftohtml, although the two packages are from different authors. If you absolutely need a text copy of a pdf file, use pdftohtml, load the resulting file in a word processor and then save that to txt format.

This trimming down reduced the original pet size from 11 Mg to a little less than 3Mg. Hopefully this reduction in archive size will not affect the usefulness of the entire xpdf "suite" for the user.

Technically, you may still need to configure the .xpdfrc file in /root,even if the actual xpdf is not included, since all pdfto* executables except pdftohtml refer to it upon loading.

I included a *.dtd file from the Windows package of pdftohtml, which you may need -- or not --, when using the -xml parameter with this program.

Please remember that all these pdfto* executables are console apps, so their name does not appear in the window manager (jwm or whatever) menu. You will have to open a console to invoke them.

Finally, the advantages of this re-visited package are still current. In one sentence:
1) these pdf tools
2) usable under Linux,
3) save you
a) the cost of a shareware or commercial pdf processor and
b) the time you'd spend learning a new program,
4) so you can focus more on your editing.

////////////////////////////
Any constructive feedback welcome. Enjoy!
BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

disciple wrote:I imagine you could find a package of 0.4.5 somewhere too.
Here: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 1_i386.deb

It needs the same dependencies as the 0.4.3 version. (See above.) If you've installed the 0,4.3 version, it will install over it simply by clinking on the new deb package.

(That was easy!) :D
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~