Puppy for librarians

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nancy reagan

Puppy for librarians

#1 Post by nancy reagan »

Came across this derivative which I saw not announced on the forum, therefore I do it here.

From their homepage:

Welcome to Puppylib

Its name may remind you with that small-but-superb Linux distribution... Yup, Puppylib is build under a puplet Macpup and its derived from Puppylinux 4.20. For your information, Puppylinux is a complete operating system for computers with just 100 MB in size. So slim but still beauty!! Puppy Linux is based on GNU/Linux. It is completely free and covered by the LGPL license, an open source license. In the other hand, Macpup is a puplet, the creation of customized derivatives, that comes with Mac-flavour in style thanks to Enlightenment Windows Manager.

logoPuppylib is a Live-CD Linux, remastering of Puppylinux for librarian. Its aims are to promote the usage of Linux in libraries and to provide and make the librarian examine the opensource library management system (LMS). Puppylib comes with 2 LMS; there are Senayan and Openbiblio. Since cloud computing becomes trend, I also added this distribution with eyeOS, the leading opensource cloud-computing software. Last but not least, the veteran of library softwares the CDS/ISIS from Unesco and Dewey Cutter Program from OCLC are also made available in the desktop thanks to wine [wine is not an emulator].

To make this distro user-friendly, here are the login details for each software:

* Senayan, with username=admin and password=admin
* Openbiblio, with username=admin and password=admin
* eyeOS, with username=root and password=admin

This first release is called Puppylib "memo", 261MB in size and is dedicated for dgekpuri. You can download the ISO file from this Link1 [deadlink] thanks to Hendro Wicaksono, lead developer of Senayan, this Link2 [deadlink] thanks to Purwoko from Geological Eng. Library at Gadjah Mada University (UGM), this Link3 thanks to Prof. Raffy Mananghaya from University of the Philippines Los Banos.

http://puppylib.open-lib.net/index.html

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

Nancy
I would think Puppy's own Raffy, a regular here, is aware of this Librarian version, but I agree it needed posting on the forum
I seem to remember requests over a year ago for a Librarian version

Good job, guys!

Couldn't find an active download link in Puppylib webpage, so here it is! (Found in puplets archive)

http://minipc.org/downloads/puppylib.iso

Aitch :)

jamalexa

Who's Who?

#3 Post by jamalexa »

hello, I am trying to use this for a school setting. i have some questions but I don't know who to talk to. The website has no link for a forum and there is no formal forum posting for Puppylib. what do i do?

nancy reagan

Re: Who's Who?

#4 Post by nancy reagan »

jamalexa wrote:hello, I am trying to use this for a school setting. i have some questions but I don't know who to talk to. The website has no link for a forum and there is no formal forum posting for Puppylib. what do i do?
Maybe forummember Raffy can tell you ?

If so, maybe you could post his answer here ?

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

jamalexa

The developer of PuppyLib is Adnuri Mohamidi, though he is listed on Linkedin Indonesia and Facebook, he doesn't seem to maintain PuppyLib

http://puppylib.open-lib.net/index.html

Try emailing him directly...and let him know of the interest at the Puppy Forum....perhaps he'll post here?

cyberariani@gmail.com

Best I can offer I'm afraid

Aitch :)

raffy

ask

#6 Post by raffy »

Thanks, Aitch, for providing the URL of the download.

As to jamalexa's questions, whether you get a response or not from the developer, please post your question here. This can prompt others to do their testing and help provide the answers.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

jamalexa

Nobody home

#7 Post by jamalexa »

Thanks for the offer for help. Basicly I installed Puppylib on a Compaq Deskpro EN, P3,667mhz, 384Megs ram, full install at work. In the live cd, Seamonky opens to http://locakhost/index.html giving me a page similar to the website's page with links under Home to start Senayan, Openbiblio and EyeOS. In my full install - http://localhost/index.html is blank. Nothing is shown at all. Should I have done a frugal install instead? I am going to setup a system at home to test on. I'm also going to try to contact to creator this weekend.

runtt21

#8 Post by runtt21 »

Run it live off the cd in ram . Then copy the stuff you need to a usb flash drive. The next time you run your install just mount the usb drive and copy the stuff over.

jamalexa

#9 Post by jamalexa »

I ran it live but I don't know what to copy over? Is it just the html pages?Where would I find the html pages for the index, Senayan, openbiblio, eyeos.?I -went to /root and can't find any folder with those names.

runtt21

#10 Post by runtt21 »

When you run it live if Seamonkey shows this page when you are not connected to the internet, that means the html page is saved on the .iso .If it only shows it when your connected then the page is bookmarked in seamonkey. What does opera do? I know this is based on macpup opera or opera 061.

jamalexa

#11 Post by jamalexa »

Good Morning, I ran the cd on my laptop - this pup can't detect my wireless card. Seamonkey and Opera both show the pages. Do I mount the iso? Where on the iso will I find the html files? What webserver is running? I know that the files are usually found in a /www folder.

runtt21

#12 Post by runtt21 »

Run the cd live, Open rox ,Look in /usr/share/doc should be something like first run message or welcome message if they didn't change it. But if you open the page "As text" in rox they will look funky. You may need to open the page in opera or seamonkey to make sure.

jamalexa

#13 Post by jamalexa »

I am using the live cd now from my desktop. I went to root/usr/share/doc/index.html. It is a "welcome to Puppy version 4.2" page. The only other folders in usr/share/doc are opera, opera-static, axel.html, ans slmodem.txt. I'm going to look around a bit.

jamalexa

#14 Post by jamalexa »

Went to usr/share/doc/index.html it's still the same page as root/usr/share/doc

jamalexa

#15 Post by jamalexa »

I found it. Everything is in opt/lampp/htdocs. When I get to work tomorrow I'm going to look on the hard drive and see if it's there. If not I'll copy everything from opt/lampp/htdocs to the hd.

jamalexa

#16 Post by jamalexa »

By the way, I found it by going to htop and looking at the running processes. I knew a server had to be running. That led me to opt/lampp. Then I used rox to find the folder and there it was.

jamalexa

#17 Post by jamalexa »

good morning. I'm at work. I went to opt/lampp/htdocs and everything is there. I went to htop and opt/lampp is not running. How do I turn on the server?

jamalexa

It's Alive!

#18 Post by jamalexa »

I was having trouble with x loading after a reboot. I reinstalled Puppylib and now everything works.I am going to continue to test this system. Thanks for the help.

jamalexa

Menu Bar

#19 Post by jamalexa »

Trying to get the menu bar to either autohide or go behind the open window.

runtt21

#20 Post by runtt21 »

In e17 that's called a shelf. Menu-settings-shelf then select the shelf you want to jack with and look under advanced. You should read through the macpup threads to learn how to use this build of e17.

This thread is for macpup opera and opera 061 ...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 60&t=42984

Also see these...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 60&t=49526

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 60&t=54755