Pup on Trident Cyberblade XP and Toshiba Tecra 8200 laptops

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
gared

Pup on Trident Cyberblade XP and Toshiba Tecra 8200 laptops

#1 Post by gared »

Hi,

since I am excited about puppy that runs like hell on my Toshiba Tecra 8100 I bought a s/h Tecra 8200 in order to give the elder Notebook to my girlfriend and use the new one in expection that puppy would run even faster because of the faster Processor (PIII 850), double space of RAM (256MB) and DVD instead of CD. But this time I couldn't even bring the system to run (Puppy Live-CD 1.07). JWM doesn't start and no matter what I try (xorgconfig etc.) the Notebook hangs after the xwin-call with messages like

Code: Select all

Starting X with video mode 0x0111 and mouse input/mice...
I meanwhile understand that it has to do with the Trident Cyberblade XP Graphik Chip that is not supported(?) by xorg and xvesa. Some people in the Forum recommend to use XFree86 but this is over my had to install from command line. Is there an easy way for a beginner to do this (ok it don't has to be easy but has to be a bit explained). Or is it worth to await puppy2 and to hope that the Grafik Chip will be supported then?

Thank you for any reply,
gared

P.S. I just solved it by using a workaround suggested by MU in another thread. I used the xorg.conf File from another working linux on the same machine and this does the trick.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Would you mind giving more detail? Thanks. :)

gared

#3 Post by gared »

Hi,

I tried some Linux distros on the laptop, to see if there is one that can compete in speed with puppy, but none of them did - some even didn't run - like puppy. The last one I tried was Ubuntu which still remaind on the machine because it worked at least. After reading the following thread I tried the trick suggested by MU and copied the xorg.conf from the ubuntu Installation to /etc/X11, typed xwin and puppy was alive :-)

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... tu+toshiba

So the chip is supported, I just couldn't manage to configure it properly. :-(

greetings,
gared

gared

#4 Post by gared »

Supplement:

As I had yet a problem with the toshiba accupoint/touchbuttons I merged the original xorg.conf with the ubuntu-file and here are the entries that make the whole thing work:

Code: Select all

cat xorg.conf

[...]

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto" #mouse0protocol
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/mouse"
	Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #scrollwheel
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "TOS"
	ModelName    "8 Panel"
	Option	    "DPMS"
	HorizSync    28-51
	VertRefresh  43-60 
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/XP"
        Driver "trident"
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device "Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/XP"
        Monitor "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 16
        SubSection "Display"
           Depth 16
           Modes "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

[...]

BTW: for networking the driver e100 works

tony

Toshiba boot

#5 Post by tony »

The above /etc/X11/xorg.conf would be good for my Portege 4010 but how do you get it into the live cd from which I am Booting? The system just hangs. Also there is no floppy drive. I do have a usb stick (which will not boot) though.

Ideas Anyone? Tony

gared

#6 Post by gared »

If you manage to get a shell after booting from the life-CD you can edit the xorg.conf via vi or just copy your prepared xorg.conf from another partition. You can try <ctrl>+<alt>+<backspace> to escape from X if it hangs. Done this you can restart X. If it works you can do a harddisk installation, remaster your life CD or just leave the pup001 file on your harddisk/usb-stick etc. Puppy will find it next time you boot and use the xorg.conf.

tony

Success with Portege 4010

#7 Post by tony »

Hi Gared and the group,
I used the thread to install Puppy using the live CD option 1. Ctrl alt del to get the console and then edited etc/X11/xorg.conf using vi

Next job is to install the wireless driver. So if anyone knows what the chpset is ? Please let me know.

Regards and many thanks Tony
PS Sorted With WAG Portege 4010 now up and RUNNING.