Puppy Project #3845: solid-state, no-moving-parts computer?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
peppyy

#21 Post by peppyy »

I forgot to plug the cooling fan in on an asus terminator and ran it for about a week with a 2.4ghz celeron using only the case fan. It sure was quite there till I plugged the fan in. That one is temp controled by the bios so it is os independant.

I would imagine that with the proper heat sinks you should be able to cool about any processor without a fan. It wouldn't run that well hot but I cant believe it would overheat. Make sure you use a quality thermal compound to connect all the peices and build the case out of aluminum.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

pythoncoder

#22 Post by pythoncoder »

I have Puppy running on a solid state machine. It consists of a Via ME6000 mini-ITX motherboard with 512MB of RAM. The only "disk" is a 1GB Compact Flash card in an IDE adaptor. The only other hardware is a wireless network adaptor. It has no keyboard, mouse, monitor or disk drives; I control the machine from another computer using Tight VNC.

The box uses 26 watts of power when idle and 30W when busy, so passive cooling works fine.

I guess a physically smaller machine could be built using a nano-ITX board, but these are prohibitively expensive. My box is small, silent and cheap!

Pete

aahhaaa

#23 Post by aahhaaa »

Flash wrote:Sweetest of all would be to do it without any fans at all, in a closed box. Where I live is very dry and dusty. Fans suck in dust, which, for reasons I can't explain, coats everything inside the computer. Electronics and dust aren't a good combination so I take the covers off my computers twice a year to blow them out and I'm always amazed by the amount of dust that comes flying out.
Flash- I'm responding to you on my Epia right now. I've had this one running daily for 3 years or more- really recommend them.

They have an adapter to 12V which just clicks into the mobo- that would get one of the main sources of heat, the power supply itself, out of the case. These boards draw very little power themselves- the CPU heatsink only gets mildly warm to the touch. If you can use an external USB burner, the closed case idea is very practical; some of the server & carputer cases are ribbed and sealed.

From another angle, some of the gamers computers are now water cooled; have you checked that out? :wink:

wscarl

#24 Post by wscarl »

Flash wrote:Sweetest of all would be to do it without any fans at all, in a closed box. Where I live is very dry and dusty. Fans suck in dust, which, for reasons I can't explain, coats everything inside the computer. Electronics and dust aren't a good combination so I take the covers off my computers twice a year to blow them out and I'm always amazed by the amount of dust that comes flying out.
How About the fanless cases for the ITX this one is the cheapest (at $155 USD) and has aboot CF slot in front
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info ... cts_id/501
For mATX MB the Zalman TNN 300 is totally fanless Price $630 to $700 USD