Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

#661 Post by smokey01 »

OzOle, how have you installed puppy, full or frugal?

kevin bowers

XMMS, XNView

#662 Post by kevin bowers »

@smokey01,

The version of XMMS posted on your site works perfectly with Puppy 5, and I wanted to thank you for that. It's sort of like having an old friend reappear.

XNView, however, is another story. It installs OK but simply won't run or open a file, it just appears then exits. PPM didn't complain of missing dependencies on install. Any suggestions? I found a .sfs of a newer version (MP) that will run on Luci but it's not nearly the program 1.70 was. It won't even support printing.

Appreciate any ideas!

jpeps

#663 Post by jpeps »

Here's a link to RamSwapManager using compcache-0.6.2 compiled for Lucid, posted on the other Lucid thread.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=2115

pemasu

#664 Post by pemasu »

XnviewMPbeta0.26.sfs is the latest build. The development progress is really slow. That sfs has only viewing properties.
I will post next version when the developer makes progress.

And I made the sfs in early Upup phase so it should work in Luci. I have made it my default viewer all the time. Why ? Because it can rotate photo automatically when viewing based of digi photos EXIF data from the camera.

OzOle

assistance with upgrading from Puppy 5.0.0 to 5.1.1

#665 Post by OzOle »

G'day Smokey,

Thank you for responding so promptly!

I have installed Puppy on a 7-year old desktop PC and it really works like a dream, it flies. But I'm sure you know that already.

It is a full installation on a relatively new harddisk with 160 GB capacity, so there is plenty of room for Puppy expansion ;-)

I have been using Linux for nearly 10 years but not done much on the operating system side of things, just installed and used. I have been an applications software developer nearly all my working life until I retired 3 years ago at the age of 65. Obviously you cannot work with software and computers that long and not pick up something about OS. I have also used Ubuntu & Linux Mint (an Ubuntu derivative) and their updating system is very streamlined. However, I love Puppy Linux and really want to make it my premier Linux.

So, back to my question:
Is there a simple way of upgrading Puppy from 5.0.0 to 5.1.1 or should I download the ISO file and do a fresh install?
And if that is the answer, are there any good reasons to do so right now?

Cheers from Qld,

Ole

smokey01

#666 Post by smokey01 »

Ole, one of the great things about Puppy is the many ways it can be installed. We generally only refer to frugal and full. It can be installed on various types of media even Micro SD cards. There are advantages and disadvantages with both.

I will attempt to provide some information which should help you make a decision.

Live Method
Many people who like to experiment simply use the live cd/dvd method. This is simply burning the ISO to a CD or DVD then booting from that media. Once you have everything setup the way you want such as your network, icons, browers etc, you can quit and save your setting either to your hard drive or actually write it to the CD/DVD. I find it a bit painful continually saving sessions to the CD/DVD and usually write the save file to the HDD. Don't worry if this sounds confusing there are plenty of prompt to help you along the way. Next time you boot from the CD puppy will find the save file.

Frugal Method
This is my preferred method as it provides ease of use and an easy upgrade path. It is still best to boot from the CD then use Puppy Universal Installer (PUI) to install puppy to your Hard Disk Drive (HDD). It can be installed on a FAT32, NTFS and various Linux partitions. In other words it's easy to install along side windows on the same partition if you like. I prefer to use Linux partitions such as EXT2, EXT3 or EXT4 as I find them much more reliable. The PUI will place three files in a directory of your choosing, something like /puppy511. I won't get into booting specifics at this time as you probably are aware of GRUB and LILO.
Lets assume you have puppy 5.1.1 booted and running as a frugal install. The first time you either reboot or shutdown, puppy will ask you to save the puppy save file. Select yes. It will also ask you where you would like to save it. I always save it in the same directory as the other three files previousy mentioned in /puppy511. Now you have four files in the directory and this is all you need. Of course there are many other files squashed within some of these files but you don't need to worry about them as they will take care of themselves.

After the computer has saved the save file and shut down, you can start it up again. This time if you have the bootloader configured correctly it should start puppy. Just remember all of your settings and additional software that you add will be stored within the save file by default so it can become quite large if not managed. I suggest you keep all of your documents and photos etc on another drive.

Ok, here comes the good bit. Lets assume puppy 5.1.2 is released and you want to try it. you can create another directory called /puppy512, copy the three new files off the new ISO you have downloaded and place them in the directory /puppy512, then copy the save file from /puppy511 to /puppy512. Make the appropriate edits in the GRUB menu.lst file and reboot. Select the new puppy 5.1.2, it will load and convert your old save file to the new puppy. All of your settings and installed software will be available in the new distribution. The whole process will take between 1 - 5 minutes.

Full Install
I'm not sure if there is an easy way to upgrade using a full install. I have done it but it is quite complicated. My advice would be to use PUI and install from scratch. You will also have to install it on a Linux partition. The benefits of a full install is not having to worry about the save file running out of space. You are only limited by the amount of space on your Linux partition. You will also notice there are files scattered all over the place. The file structure is similar to the frugal install but not as well package for ease of use. There will always be many opinions to which method is best. I think you will find frugal is the most popular especially will people who like to experiment with new puppies on a regular basis. When the save file runs out of space it can be increased. I like to keep about 2G of spare space in my save file. I also load a lot of my additional software outside of the save file such as Open Office which is larger than puppy itself. By it being outside the safe file means it's available to other puppies as well without having to reinstall.

Another great reason to use frugal is the ability to use SFS packages. This can be many programs packed into a single file. You place it in /mnt/home and tell boot manager to load it at startup. This does not affect your save file.

I hope this assists in your decision making.

yordanj94

#667 Post by yordanj94 »

I find it a bit painful continually saving sessions to the CD/DVD and usually write the save file to the HDD
Hi.
That was nice,but how about if i have live CD or DVD wit a lot lot saved settings and want to transfer all my personal settings from live DVD to save file on HDD.
Is there a way to that in correct way or should i start from the begining ?
Thanks in advance.
Yordan

rjbrewer

Re: assistance with upgrading from Puppy 5.0.0 to 5.1.1

#668 Post by rjbrewer »

OzOle wrote:G'day Smokey,

So, back to my question:
Is there a simple way of upgrading Puppy from 5.0.0 to 5.1.1 or should I download the ISO file and do a fresh install?
And if that is the answer, are there any good reasons to do so right now?
I use full installs.

To upgrade I burn a new cd, mount it (puppy pfix=ram).
Run the universal installer for full install.
Choose "upgrade", not "wipe".
No need to reinstall grub.
It will save your previous settings.

This has worked fine on the 4.xx and 5.xx Puppies for me.

I have a number of full installs on their own partitions just for
testing. Find it easier and more reliable than frugal installs.

Unless there is something new in 5.1.1 you really want; upgrading
isn't really necessary.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

OzOle

assistance with upgrading from Puppy 5.0.0 to 5.1.1

#669 Post by OzOle »

Thanks to Smokey for the detailed explanation of the difference between the various ways to install Puppy.

And, thanks to Rjbrewer for explaining how to do an upgrade install without losing previous settings and data files. That is exactly what I needed.As for the need to upgrade, I don't know if there is any benefit to me, but I can always hope that there are, however, Coolpup wrote me privately and said: "Fresh install of 511; the sooner the better." He didn't say why "the sooner the better" but I am assuming he has a valid reason for the statement, so I will definitely go ahead within the next couple of days.

I really do like Puppy Linux and it is the only distro I have tried which runs without graphics problems on my 7-year old desktop PC.

Thanks all for helping. I will let you know how it all went when I'm done.

Cheers,
Ole

pemasu

#670 Post by pemasu »

Luci512 with needed pulseaudio additions, vlc, audacious, aqualung, FoxitReader, transmission also added, at last works. Xorg-server was missing some pets. After installing them intel driver started to work. I found usable python+431.sfs which has pygtk included. I needed just to copy stream2ip folder and launch "pulseaudio --system" from terminal and launch "stream2ip.py" and my wireless music streaming works !!
ISO is massive 204 Mb.

Only minus so far is that tunapie does not work with that python.sfs or I am missing some wx-stuff.

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# tunapie
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/tunapie/Tunapie.py", line 23, in <module>
    import wxversion
ImportError: No module named wxversion
sh-3.00# 
My first custom woof build lucid 512 that works. I am happy now. :P :lol: :D

pemasu

#671 Post by pemasu »

Solution was easy to my Tunapie and stream2ip combo problem and missing python modules. I installed python2.6-Lucid from repo to get right python bin. Then I deleted pymodules, pyshared and python2.6 folders from /usr/lib and substituted them from my previously succesfully installed luci. That one had pygtk included which I had compiled myself. And now tunapie and stream2ip works. No need to that python sfs which had pygtk but no support to tunapie.

And my devx worked when I compiled my other needed stuff.

Tempestuous rfkill enabled wireless modules works fine. I can switch of and on wlan and wireless driver works. Really good stuff. Thanks to tempestuous.

I have struggled all the time with flsynclient but I have concluded that it misses those properties my touchpad needs, especially better fine tuning of palm detection. I have huge pad and my left thenar rests above pad. It activates many kind of unneeded functions. Mostly I lose all my writing :)
I renamed .flsynclient and added needed Options to my xorg.conf under synaptics. Now I am satisfied.

jpeps

sudo 1.7.4

#672 Post by jpeps »

Setup to work with Spot. Set password with "sudo passwd"
Gives root privileges while in Spot (eg. sudo cp /root/file .)

Notes: edit /etc/sudoers with "visudo" (looks for /usr/bin/vi, so link to favorite editor).

To run "sudo" without password, add:

spot ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
Attachments
sudo-1.7.4.pet
(135.26 KiB) Downloaded 677 times

pemasu

#673 Post by pemasu »

Our living room recording digi-tv desktop computer crashed yesterday. I havent solved so far what did broke down.

So I tested dvb-t usb tuner and vlc for digi-tv solution.

I downloaded af9015.fw from link posted by jemimah and installed it to /lib/firmware. http://www.otit.fi/~crope/v4l-dvb/af901 ... es/4.95.0/
Reboot.

sh-3.00# dmesg | grep dvb
dvb-usb: found a 'Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB2.0 stick' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
usb 1-1.4: firmware: requesting dvb-usb-af9015.fw
dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-af9015.fw'
dvb-usb: found a 'Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB2.0 stick' in warm state.
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
dvb-usb: Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB2.0 stick successfully initialized and connected.
usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_af9015
Then dvb-apps from ubuntu repo. In terminal: "scan /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/fi-Tampere > /root/channels.conf". Dvb-apps installs a lot of ready channel files like my fi-Tampere. In terminal type scan and you can scroll the pages up to find if there is yours already included.

From this link scripts to use vlc as dvb-t player and recorder with timer: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=53851

I made folder outside savefile /dvb/recordings for big .mpg files. /dvb has those scripts and channels.conf copy.
It works !!!

Does anybody know handy channel changer gui for vlc tv watching ? Those scripts select one channel but then you need to launch it again to change channel and the second vlc appears also.

EDIT: In terminal: "vlc -vvv /root/channels.conf" opens vlc and tv. Channel can be changed using: Next media in the playlist, clickable button.

To record: in vlc > View > Advanced controls > click record button. Change record folder: Tools > Preferences > Input & codecs settings > Record directory or filename > browse or write your path.
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 26 Sep 2010, 20:43, edited 4 times in total.

edoc

#674 Post by edoc »

Excellent!

Have you considered rolling that all into one PET so that others may benefit from your experience with a single step?

Or is that not possible?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#675 Post by pemasu »

Not much to put into the .pet. Mostly you have to get your usb-stick tuner working, get working channels.conf and configure vlc for recording.

edoc

#676 Post by edoc »

If anyone is looking for a DJVu Reader PET for Lucid 5.1.1 I have discovered that the djvu-3.5.17.pet works.

It is located here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22771

It does not show up when you do a search in MENU-Setup-Puppy Package Manager from inside Lucid 5.1.1

I found it doing a Search on "puppy linux djvu" using http://startpage.com
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

gcmartin

Tray icon for the network

#677 Post by gcmartin »

Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 17:07, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

Tray icon for the network

#678 Post by gcmartin »

This post has been MOVED to a separate new thread, as it has more widespead concern.
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

edoc

#679 Post by edoc »

I needed to load a modern English Bible translation on my notebook pc.

I found this: http://bible.org/download/netbible/NETBible2009.zip

Once unzipped into a folder open your Web browser -- in Seamonkey FILE-OpenFile then go to where you unzipped it and scroll down to Index.htm and double-click on that. You now will see the Bible on your pc.

There are a number of other versions of the NET Bible here:
http://bible.org/downloads (four of them are Linux-friendly)

The NET Bible was created by a translator's team for the express purpose of making it available for free in electronic form.

They have also included over 60,000 translator's notes.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#680 Post by edoc »

5.1.1 Broke CUPS 1.4.3

Getting 500 Internal Server Error

Arghhhh!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]