Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 20:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
What is SeaMonkey and why is it in Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
GustavoYz

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep 2010, 01:19    Post_subject:  

Shocked
I'm surprised to read that SeaMonkey crash...
I use No Script add-on on the SeaMonkey2.0.6 (Quickpet) on LuPu501, and sometimes the page don't download complete, but this is a desired behavior (actually that is the main reason to use this add-on).
No Script, running under the mentioned conditions, never make SeaMonkey crash on this PC Rolling Eyes ...
Repeat, I'm surprised...

L18L

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep 2010, 13:06    Post_subject:  

thank you, gcmartin, for this thread.
There is always something to learn (not only for newbees)

Quote:
Rename it as something you understand such as addblock.xpi, and save it to your hard drive. To install, just drag and drop the file into an open seamonkey window. Bingo. This way, you can build a collection of add-ons for future installs.

thank you, DaveS
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep 2010, 19:25    Post_subject: Centralize SeaMonkey Add-ONs....Very Good Idea  

I very much appreciate the post here to use the download feature for SeaMonkey add-ons.

Reason: I run/support LANs that have multiple machines on it. Using this approach, I have made a "central" library that I download the SeaMonkey add-ons into. Now, I just send notices out to everyone to drag and drop from the central library to their SeaMonkeys. Cuts down on the WAN traffic when that add-ons are local on the LAN.

Even though this can be useful for any product that uses add-ons, it is useful, here, for SM.

Again, thanks fot this suggestion!
P.S. Here's a list of someone else's Must-Have Add-on favorites

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 14:19    Post_subject: Current version of SeaMonkey can be found here...  

Current versions of SeaMonkey can be found here...
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 15:26    Post_subject:  

Seamonkey 2.1 Alpha 3
I have been using Seamonkey 2.1 alpha 3 for a week or so now. No crashes, no bugs. In fact, it seems faster, renders better, and now can use Personas like Firefox. Bookmarks can also be shared with Firefox.
I have been using it in Lucid 5.1.1. If you want to give it a try, proceed as follows:
Download the .tar.bz2 file from here http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.1a3
Click on the file, and xarchive will load. Use this to extract the program, just follow the onscreen prompts. It will extract into a folder called seamonkey.
What you do next will depend on which browser you have downloaded previously in Lucid. A safe option is to move the seamonkey directory in to /root/ When you have done that, open the directory and click on the seamonkey file. Seamonkey 2.1 alpha should load just fine.
Naturally, that is NOT what I did. I had Seamonkey 2.0.5 installed as my default browser. It was installed in /usr/lib/seamonkey2
I just went in like a nutcase, deleted all the files in /usr/lib/seamonkey2, and put all the files from the seamonkey alfa directory in there instead. It all worked just fine, including the menu entry Smile
If you want to try that but want to be more cautious, rename /usr/lib/seamonkey2 to seamonkeyold or somesuch, create a NEW /usr/lib/seamonkey2, and drop the alpha files in there. That way, you can always reverse the process.

Check out personas here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/personas/

James C

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep 2010, 17:04    Post_subject:  

Excellent how-to. Smile

Just upgraded my Wary install to SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 3........it does seem faster.
Being able to use Personas is nice too....... Laughing
wary-070.png
 Description   
 Filesize   237.24 KB
 Viewed   1054 Time(s)

wary-070.png

gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep 2010, 15:11    Post_subject: Latest Nightly upgrades  

Seems that there is a Nightly site with a Pre-Beta
DaveS

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep 2010, 15:26    Post_subject: Re: Latest Nightly upgrades  

gcmartin wrote:
Seems that there is a Nightly site with a Pre-Beta

Been running the pre beta all day.. no problems. Seatab X has already been updated to work with 2.1x. Its a 'must have'
http://www.tom-cat.com/mozilla/extensions.html near bottom of page.

mjaksen

PostPosted: Fri 24 Sep 2010, 15:09    Post_subject: Why I use Seamonkey  

I've been using various Puppies since 2.xx and have religiously replaced Seamonkey with various Operas or Firefoxen. I liked Opera because I used it in Win98 and XP, it had vertical tabs, and it had everything I ever wanted. And when Opera inexplicably became buggy with 10.xx, I ventured into Firefox country to get swept up in its never ending misma of unneccesary (and sometimes conflicting) addons.

With Quirky, I immediately dismissed any thoughts of my once beloved Opera. All the 10.xx are buggy under Quirky and Flash 10. Youtube is unusable, and working with > 10 tabs caused constant crashes. So I rolled out Firefox 3.6x to find that I needed 5 addons to make it behave like a proper browser (Opera-like <smile>). It also crashed when I viewed on > 4 Youtube pages or > 15 tabs.

Finally, as a last resort and cursing Barry all the way, I dealt with the Monkey. The thing about Seamonkey is that it's ugly, and mildly inconvenient. Yes it's robust. Yes it's reliable. Yes I could view lots of Youtube pages and > 20 tabs with not one crash. But it's so damn ugly.

And so we come to the problem with Seamonkey. Seamonkey is a victim of user apathy. It has no active community creating cool themes. It has no hoards of developers writing addons. It has a clunky interface of dialog boxes (!!!) that is vaguely embarrassing. SM2 has 5 good themes. Firefox has thousands. Opera has world class management of Search Engines. SM2 feels like 1980 all over again. Firefox has thousands of (sometimes) useful addons. SM2 has 10.

There is no excuse for this complete neglect of a truly amazing product. I ignored this great browser for 5 years because no one supports it! Even now (as I write), I've turned off every toolbar but the always visible (horizontal, grr) tab bar and now only use shortcut keys to do everything. I have enormous screen real estate, I have a super fast surfing experience, and I DO NOT CRASH.

Yes it is ugly. Yes it is clunky. Yes it reminds me of Ronald Reagan. But the thing works.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Oct 2010, 15:49    Post_subject: Ugly girls make good wives, so said my Dad to my cousin  

"Ugly girls make good wives ...", so said my Dad to my cousin.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, here's, Howto build webpages using SeaMonkey without installing anything

Also, as far as I have been using Seamonkey, I use ALL of the Firefox add-ons with it. Simple Preference change. Haven't run into difficulties (probably because I don't need a lot).

Enjoy the Ugly girl. She's a great woman ,too.

gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 27 Oct 2010, 13:51    Post_subject: SeaMonkey 2.1 has move to the Beta stage  

I've been running the SeaMonkey Beta with no problems. For some "unknown" reason, I have found that the Beta on QuickSet with 3 Seamonkey windows open and about 30 tabs, the CPU utilization is way-way down from other releases. I am now in the 6-8% area with a download going and a youtube video. (But, my surfing is still as fast as ever, too...probably pre-fetching or something)

Maybe a fluke, huh?

Shep

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct 2010, 18:47    Post_subject: Re: Why I use Seamonkey  

mjaksen wrote:
The thing about Seamonkey is that it's ugly, and mildly inconvenient. Yes it's robust. Yes it's reliable.

My past experience precluded any association of the word "reliable" with Seamonkey. I got sick of it crashing and could not have been happier since moving to Firefox. So I'm pleased to hear you report that Seamokey is now much improved. (Firefox is by no means perfect. Far from it!)

I did briefly try Seamonkey 6 months ago, and was dismayed to rediscover (time and time and time again!) that the designers in their wisdom placed Seamonkey's close current tab button right where Firefox users are habituated to finding the open new tab button. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Please tell me that these clowns have seen the error of their ways, and standardised the layouts! Please! Rolling Eyes

Imagine a rental van where the foot pedals are the reverse of those on your own! It was chaotic. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov 2010, 01:57    Post_subject: Re: Why I use Seamonkey  

Shep wrote:

I did briefly try Seamonkey 6 months ago, and was dismayed to rediscover (time and time and time again!) that the designers in their wisdom placed Seamonkey's close current tab button right where Firefox users are habituated to finding the open new tab button. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I agree.... stupid beyond belief. Fix it with the tiny Seatab X extension from here http://www.tom-cat.com/mozilla/extensions.html

Shep

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov 2010, 02:52    Post_subject: Re: Why I use Seamonkey  

DaveS wrote:
I agree.... stupid beyond belief. Fix it with the tiny Seatab X extension from here http://www.tom-cat.com/mozilla/extensions.html

Ah! Razz Necessity is the mother of invention. Wink Wink

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd better make a note here so that it gets included in my trail of postings so I can find it when/if I need it. Cool
yarddog

PostPosted: Sat 06 Nov 2010, 21:13    Post_subject: Seamonkey auto upgrades  

I noticed recently in Seamonkey 2.0.8 that it auto upgraded to Seamonkey 2.0.9 and after Seamonkey 2.0.10 came out, my Seamonkey 2.0.9 auto upgraded to Seamonkey 2.0.10.
This is a neat feature since it saves downloading the full version each time a new one is released

yarddog
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 4 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum