Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 Release - This is the official release

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Stripe

#641 Post by Stripe »

I am just trying to build 512 with the latest version of woof and the files that Playdayz supplied, if I suffer the same problems I have another "Distro_Pet_Repos" file that worked previously, just in case it was the file
Hope this works
Stripe
Attachments
DISTRO_PET_REPOS.gz
(3.53 KiB) Downloaded 798 times

Iguleder

#642 Post by Iguleder »

Ummm ... it's kinda funny, you can build a totally sane dpup from the Lupu package list, all you need is 4-5 packages to be renamed and 2 to be removed. Of course, there are many bugs to sort out, but it still works :)

Builds fine with the custom X/CUPS :P
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Stripe

#643 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

I think I have found the problem with building 512 with woof, I will try to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Cheers
Stripe

pemasu

#644 Post by pemasu »

Stripe. Your distro_pet_repos looks like in my first woof download. Only there was lupu) by BK`s mistake in my download.

Then I thought that I used distro_pet_repos copied from playdayz`s post but somehow I had wrong version. Dont even know from where I got it.

Well, waiting what you found from woof. I will now add my debs for pulseaudio. So far I have 51 .deb packages to add to get basic funcionality for pulseaudio and for pulseaudio-modules . Python and pygtk and some other libs is next.

Stripe

#645 Post by Stripe »

Hi Pemasu

3 attempts and it still keeps missing the same files, going to try my old files and try to establish where the problem lies

Stripe

Edited to say: still missing the same files
Going to try an older version of woof

Edited to say: 18 hours and now the mirrors dont want to play, will get some sleep and try again

gcmartin

Howto Build Your Own Puppy

#646 Post by gcmartin »

Building a PUP from Scratch is an interesting discussion here.

The topic covered here by @Stripe, @playdayz and @pemasu is great. But, I have a request for either/both of tyou. After you work thru the stumbling issues, would you post a HOWTO that shows how you build a Puppy with the releases that you are currently working on?

A step by step on how you achieved your resulting systems ISO would be extremely useful, I think, to the community at large. Think it over.

steve_s

Re: Misc issues

#647 Post by steve_s »

Dave_B wrote:I first want to say that I really like Puppy 5.11 and my thanks go to all the folks involved in creating this jewel.
I realized I hadn't said that either! Dave_B said it right: well done to all of you! Thank you for all you do! 8)

Dave_B

Re: Misc issues

#648 Post by Dave_B »

Shep wrote:
Dave_B wrote:I have installed Open Office and my files didn't associate with OO apps. Is there a way to do this?
right-click on that file in the file manager -> select Open With ..... -> Customise

Once you wade through it the first time, you'll see it makes sense. (I'm not using Lucid yet but assume pups from the same litter are all similar.) :lol:

HTH :)
Shep,
Thank you! I actually discovered 'select Open with...' a few minutes before I found your reply. Now I have to find the right icons. I'm still curious about the letters that are showing up with the Pwidgets apps. Does anyone have this 'feature'?
Dave

gjuhasz

Midori pet package

#649 Post by gjuhasz »

For Midori fans, I uploaded midori-0.2.7.pet here:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-e64fd0c9.html

Includes dependencies. Tested in

Lucid Puppy 5.1.1
Puppy Squeeze 004

One-click install, one-click remove if you dislike it.
Well, it's 21 MB. :oops: Maybe somebody can trim the fat...

Have a nice weekend.

technowomble

Pwireless2 not working

#650 Post by technowomble »

I'm having a problem getting pwireless2 working in 5.1.1. I've posted full symptoms over on the pwireless2 thread, but basically after I go through the standard procedure ( install pwireless2, remove profiles from Network-wizard, reboot ) pwireless can't see my wifi card, and just locks up when I click refresh or roam, and I have to kill it. In the small hours I remembered that 5.1.1 has an option to make Network-wizard the default connection option, and I'm pretty sure I clicked on that setting up after installing. Could that be stopping pwireless2 connecting properly, and if so can I undo the default setting or do I need to re-install?

pemasu

#651 Post by pemasu »

I am now building test build of luci512pre with added 50 .deb files. I would like to do some postinstall style adjustment. Like postinstall.sh script which has rows to execute adduser and addgroup like this:

Code: Select all

addgroup --system pulse
adduser --system --ingroup pulse --home /var/run/pulse pulse
addgroup --system pulse-access
Where and how should I do above in woof after ./2createpackages phase.
Building a PUP from Scratch is an interesting discussion here.
gcmartin. In fact I am doing opposite. Not building from scratch but making basic woofed lucid even bigger. :)
When I have succeeded in what I am doing now, I might try to make luci without packages I dont need. But doing that there is risk that something basic breaks also.

But here is someone doing lucid smaller using woof:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 759#451759

don570

new version of mhwaveedit opens retrovol

#652 Post by don570 »

I compiled a new version of mhwaveedit 1.4.20
that is able to launch retrovol
It works only in Lucid Puppy (perhaps because I compiled it in Lucid Puppy)
Download here

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-590211f0.html

DaveS

#653 Post by DaveS »

5.1.1 with Seamonkey 2.1a alpha with Compactmenu installed and Personas activated.
Transparency activated, instructions here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 011#452011
Top autohide launchbar installed, instructions here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 979#440979
And very light touch Blue JWM theme to maximise screen space.
Attachments
Bluetheme.pet
(96.48 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#654 Post by pemasu »

Hi pemasu
Looks like woof has been fixed, I have just downloaded a new version via bones, added Playdayz 4 original 512 files and everything downloaded OK, Its just on compiling now.
(where do we talk about woof?)
Hope this helps
Stripe
There might be people who thinks woofed luci 512pre or followups discussion hijacks this thread. Should it be continued in own thread ? I just thought that some people would learn something just by reading and also bugs might be found from the woof builded luci and it would be useful to discuss about them here. Of course success is main aim :)

Stripe. Thank you. Downloading now. I will try next woofed luci 512pre ? today.

EDIT: howto make postprocessing adjustments and execute commands. zzLupu_Utilities-5.1.1.pet seems to be answer. It includes postinstall sript called pinstall.sh. Download .pet from http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -5.1.1.pet rename it to tar.gz, extract and then make your needed commands to the end of the file, save. Launch dir2pet to package it as .pet again. Next step not yet tested. Replace woof downloaded zzLupu_Utilities-5.1.1.pet with your own in woof > packages-pet directory.
Also you could create your own zz...pet which includes pinstall.sh only, make entry for it to Packages-puppy-lucid-official or someother and then copy your own pet packages-pet directory. I will test the first method first. Let` see if this works. If someone knows better, playdayz knows of course, let me know.

I have also noticed that using woof_gui confuses my building. I am going to edit files manually and launch woof scripts straight in terminal in this woofed luci.

Remind of basics of woofed luci by playdayz: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... e83#423897

purplebelly

mplayer

#655 Post by purplebelly »

mplayer appears to ignore dvd menus, though it will play a dvd as a whole.

Not a big issue, as vlc is available as a pet, and works with dvd menu.

Karl Godt

GRUB-1 vs GRUB-2

#656 Post by Karl Godt »

from page 35 :

I`ve now X-Ubuntu 10.04 livecd installed on xfs partition :

/boot/grub/grub.cfg isn`t as tough as puppy`s menu.lst !

I made a lot of manual adjustments and
first time only 23 of 71 (?) entries showed up. putting the '}' closing bracket at the right place and adding one or even two emtpy lines between the entries made them showing up reboot&fixing-grub.cfg after reboot&fixing-grub.cfg

I downloaded the source of grub 1.96 ,1.97, 1.98 from Ubuntu and debian and many .src from these are lacking scripts like configure, conf.sub, stamp.h.in and so on

.src.rpm appear better for the content.

but I coulnd`t find any .rpm for 'os-prober' packages

`os-prober` seems to be important to write a grub.cfg with entries and `linux-boot-prober` really reads the old menu.lst files

I detected this because at one Macpup HD always a Suse linux boot entry showed up and after I uncommented the Suse lines at that menu.lst

Code: Select all

# linux-boot-prober /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1:/dev/sda1::/boot/vmlinuz::root=/dev/sda1
/dev/sda1:/dev/sda1::/boot/vmlinuz::root=/dev/sda1
the lines are the right ones .

Software Packages in "lucid-updates", Subsection admin for grub 2

Software Packages in "lucid", Subsection admin for grub 1

and even "maverick" has got grub-0.97 as package

os-prober_1.39_i386.deb could be found on some of these places :
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/os-prober

gcmartin

SeaMonkey alpha is available and Current Seamonkey recently

#657 Post by gcmartin »

@DAveS
How did you go about installing SeaMonkey alpha? (maybe you could let us know at Puppy &SeaMonkey)
Thanks for your efforts.

DaveS

Re: SeaMonkey alpha is available and Current Seamonkey recently

#658 Post by DaveS »

gcmartin wrote:@DAveS
How did you go about installing SeaMonkey alpha? (maybe you could let us know at Puppy &SeaMonkey)
Thanks for your efforts.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 277#452277
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#659 Post by pemasu »

I have gathered links and written small howto use woof for building distro. At the end is luci spesific links.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0bf#452324

OzOle

How to upgrade 5.0.0 to 5.1.1 ?

#660 Post by OzOle »

Hi all,

Thanks for a truly great Linux (particularly to Barry).

My desktop widget tells me that my version is 5.0.0

Since I'm not very experienced with Puppy I haven't discovered how to upgrade to version 5.1.1.

Or is that not possible? Do I need to do a fresh install?

What I would like is a simply "click here" way of automatically upgrading to a newer version.

Please somebody point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

OzOle