Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 07:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 Sneak Peek Alpha
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 8 [106 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep 2010, 20:55    Post subject:  Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 Sneak Peek Alpha
Subject description: New on SEP 23 - Luma-002

Luma-002 takes several steps forward. From a user standpoint Mplayer and Pmusic are working, as are ePDFView and Osmo.

Behind the scenes is kind of interesting too, imho. We are moving toward trying to use as many of the straight Ubuntu binaries as possible. This time we are using the Ubuntu binaries for gnome-mplayer, ffmpeg and the ffmpeg libraries, abiword, and gnumeric. Previously we had compiled all of those ourselves. There is nothing wrong with compiling them ourselves of course--the ffmpeg that 01micko compiled was smaller than the Ubuntu version and at least as good. But 1) that takes time which we can put into other areas, and #2 we are uPup after all so why not try to use as many Ubuntu binaries as possible.

Luma-002 is also “hal-free.” (Hal is the Hardware abstraction Layer.”) Barry tells me that Ubuntu is phasing hal out and they compile their programs to not need it now. So that is one less thing to cause overhead.

There is something interesting about the “ffmpeg libraries,” which is what I call them anyway: libavcodec52, libavutil50, and so forth. If you look in /usr/lib, you will see them there. But you will also see a folder named i686 which contains cmov which contains alternate copies of the ffmpeg libraries. What I think is that they are copies which are optimized when they are compiled to run best on i686 computers. But I can’t prove it. It doesn’t hurt to delete them, but if they really could offer best performance we could keep them because almost all computers today are i686 (P2 and above afaik). Maybe someone knows or can figure out how to test this.

To clear up any confusion I caused, Lucid Maverick will be a future version of Lucid Puppy. There could be a Lupu 5.1.2 in early October and then Lucid Maverick Puppy (Lupu-5.2.0) in ,say, early November. But, if Lucid Maverick shapes up quickly then we could release it very soon after the release of Ubuntu Maverick Meerkaat on OCT 10. We would not want to step on them because they might step back on us Wink but a week later would be fair I think.

We are working one step at a time on Luma, so that there are not so many things in the air at once. With media playing working with the Meerkaat binaries, as well as Abiword and Gnumeric, I think we have made a good start. GTK is also now using the meerkaat binaries.

What needs to be done. Test all programs and if one doesn’t work, then open a terminal and try to run it that way--it will often then tell you what libraries might be missing. Karl caught epdfview that way (it looks like). Post bugs in this forum if you don’t see the problem and maybe someone else will.

Lucid Maverick 002
-> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luma-002.iso
ff57426949597d485e77189ae2049e61 luma-002.iso

And now there are 4 “big things" that are necessary. These would be extremely helpful projects, needing someone with programming/development skills and knowledge of the Puppy infrastructure.

1. It would be great if someone could review the devx, which is not even posted yet) and find the problems--there are problems--things that should be included but aren’t. Mostly these are my fault for not paying enough attention to the devx. I won’t make one until luma-003, but one could start by looking at the lupu_511_devx. Tronkel has already found that Vala and Valide do not work correctly and has posted about it. Making Lucid a good development environment is important.

2. Tubeguy and I would like a utility that would list all installed and configured sound cards and all the user to choose which should be default. It looks like Puppy is doing a great job detecting and configuring the cards. If you run alsamixer in a terminal and hit F6 youwill see if there are multiple cards detected and configured on your system. My experience is that they work--*if* you can find a way test them. Audacious will allow you to change between all cards, but most programs simply use the default--and put you to the trouble of trying to block cards that you don’t want.

3. cpu freq scaling does not work on all 4 cores--it only works on 2 cores. If you use it and have a quad core, you can open /root/Startup/start_cpu_freq and figure out what to do, but it should be automatic. Freq scaling lowers the temp of my cpu by 48 to 38 C.

4. A way to easily install sfs's, so they are just as easy as installing pets. We have worked with jrb's sfs-loader and got a positive result--but it is not loading the sfs's in the same way as "traditional" so I would like to do more testing and consider options. I don't exactly understand it all, so an interest group would be helpful.

5. A Help link in a program often opens geany when it should open a browser--but I cannot remember any specific examples.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first build of Lucid Maverick--well, about the 10th build but all of them today Wink I guess I should explain, this is Puppy built with Woof using the binary files from the upcoming Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, just as Lucid Puppy 5.0-5.1.1 was built with the binary files from Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx..

Many things work. At least three things don't work. Call it pre-Alpha quality.
1. The gtk theme Polished Blue is not working correctly.
2. Mplayer does not play.
3. Pmusic does not play.

Audacious and VLC (from the Puppy Package Manager) *do* play.

Most of the icons on the desktop work. Icewm works. Dang I missed Quickpet.--don't worry--it will be back soon Wink It is in the Setup Puppy menu.

I will provide some more commentary in days to come, but the bottom line is that 1) 01micko has a new project that will be his top priority, as it should be, and it will be great for Puppy; 2) I must spend less time than previously--I also have some other priorities that I have been neglecting; 3) we have a good base built in Lucid Puppy and that will make it possible to create Lucid Maverick; 4) we need two or three experienced programmer/developers to step up and help--people who know the Puppy infrastructure well and can also write utility programs. One program we will need is a new first-run wizard--not radical changes--I discussed it early in the 5.1 development process. I would also like a utility that would allow easily switching between sound cards and changing the default (that's for me and tubeguy Wink. Audacious can do it so we can write a utility to do it also. There are a couple of other things--updating Quickpet--nothing huge or stressful but if we do not get the volunteers we will have to reconsider the project.

We hope all previous helpers will return. Tempestuous for those important drivers, and catdude for the video drivers. So many people made contributions to Lucid Puppy. This is using the same kernel 2.6.33.2 as Lucid Puppy--the Maverick kernel will be announced today (as I understand it)--it will be 2.6.35.xx. Well, that's what I thought they said, but they do have a 2.6.36rc--maybe it will be surprise. I am certainly hoping people might have ideas about how to fix things.

Lucid Maverick 001
-> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/luma-001.iso
247b8a0393b1daf965078b02325cb7db luma-001.iso

Last edited by playdayz on Thu 23 Sep 2010, 18:38; edited 7 times in total
James C

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep 2010, 23:26    Post subject:  

It's got a neat default wallpaper........ Laughing
8-bit

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 01:10    Post subject:  

What will improvements in usability and applications be?
If this is just a "Keeping up with the Jones (Ubuntu)" attempt, I cannot see it taking time of developers from development of Puppy 6.

I do not want to download it for a test if it is just a lookalike of Puppy 511 with a new background.
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 01:14    Post subject:  

jwmconfig / /usr/local/jwmconfig2/jwmConfigMgr was doing a good job changing the taskbar by adding some icons and virtual desktops at the last luci-2** and lupu-511-- but now some older habbits of `jwm-tray-rc corrupted, keeping original` shows up as `Configuration has not been altered`
chrismt

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 02:46    Post subject:  

Thanks man!
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 03:29    Post subject:  

Many exciting new projects
and I feel there will be many who will be very interested Cool

Developers often work in several directions simultaneously
For example Barry is working on Woof, Wary and Quirky and Jemimah on Saluki, Fluppy and Puppeee,
ttuuxxx is working on EVERYTHING! (see next post)

Anyways - just gonna burn the ISO and boot in it
Many thanks for the preview Larry Smile

Last edited by Lobster on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 03:53; edited 1 time in total
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 03:36    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Many exciting new projects
and I feel there will be many who will be very interested Cool

Developers often work in several directions simultaneously
For example Barry is working on Woof, Wary and Quirky and Jemimah on Saluki, Fluppy and Puppeee

Anyways - just gonna burn the ISO and boot in it
Many thanks for the preview Larry Smile

I'm working on 2.14x, The new Dpup, The new puppy 6.0 as it happens, A surfboard version and 4.3 this weekend.
ttuuxxx

James C

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 03:43    Post subject:  

I didn't get any of the "bugs" fixed.........but I trashed an install experimenting..... Laughing
Reinstalling now on the old P3 test box.Other than the problems listed above, things seemed to work..at least what I tried.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 03:50    Post subject:  

Quote:
I'm working on 2.14x, The new Dpup, The new puppy 6.0 as it happens, A surfboard version and 4.3 this weekend.
ttuuxxx

Ttuuxxx does his world famous superdawg impressions Very Happy
Maybe he is on a caffeine drip feed . . . Cool

I am in Lucid Maverick
with its surfing pooch wallpaper
and cutting edge Ubuntu binaries

initial impression very good indeed
    connected to desktop
    connected to Ethernet
    sound quiet but there . . .

changed icons
    got me a fox (firefox)
    created image and added to wiki
    http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy52
    all working whilst connected to chat
    Could not find pic of maverick so apologies for
    image name . . .

Last edited by Lobster on Fri 17 Sep 2010, 11:40; edited 2 times in total
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 04:13    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:

Ttuuxxx does his world famous superdawg impressions Very Happy
Maybe he is on a caffiene drip feed . . . Cool

I usually drink about 4L of coffee a day Smile But next weekend I'm going on trip with the church, Its a outreach they are having up the coast and plan on fishing most of the weekend, so not much will happen next weekend other than catching a few fish and having a few brewskies Smile .
ttuuxxx

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 06:20    Post subject:  

Have a great trip

Created a better image - all done in Maverick

Karl Godt

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 10:23    Post subject:  

the problem with `jwmconfig` might be /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.20.0 related .

I copied an /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0 from a luci-218 to this ""cobra-biter"" and now the taskbar seems to be changeable .

I don`t know if just fixing the error message ""gtk+ too old"" would help ( to somewhat like "" if version <= needed then echo too old "" )

/usr/local/jwmconfig at luma-001 seems to be identical with the one at luci-218

And the wallpaper is of course fun at all !
tubeguy

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 11:22    Post subject:  

Quote:
This is the first build of Lucid Maverick

You folks don't waste any time do ya!

tubeguy

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 12:02    Post subject: Re: Lucid Maverick Puppy 5.2 Sneak Preview  

playdayz wrote:
I would also like a utility that would allow easily switching between sound cards and changing the default (that's for me and tubeguy Wink. Audacious can do it so we can write a utility to do it also.

Would be good. Audacious has proven to be problematic on 5.1, it freezes when I am using filezilla or transmission. Seems to have something to do with the network itself, Audacious is fine when the other apps are open but not doing anything, but when there is network activity from filezilla or or transmission Audacious will freeze. No problem while browsing though, which makes it even curiouser.

stu90

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep 2010, 12:21    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Have a great trip

Created a better image - all done in Maverick

i love it Laughing
Page 1 of 8 [106 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: