Puppy Squeeze 009 Development

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Iguleder

Puppy Squeeze 009 Development

#1 Post by Iguleder »

Puppy Squeeze is no more, use Insidious Puppy instead. Thank you.

What is it?

Puppy Squeeze is a generic-purpose, community-built Puppy with the core values of openness, collaboration and high quality of packages. It is built using Woof, just like Lucid Puppy, but from the high-quality and ultra-stable Debian packages.

To be more percise, the core is from Debian while the end-user applications are built on Puppy Squeeze itself or taken from Debian in some cases. It has a Puppy with a Debian heart, which means it's pretty stable under-the-hood.

As any other Puppy, it has its own special features and strengths, notably:
- A full browser, Seamonkey
- Some weird speed boost on Seamonkey and OpenOffice
- Efficient and friendly applications
- Laptop friendliness
- 1 (good) application per task
- Cool artwork :wink:

All the people that work on it do it for fun (well, I hope so) and each release is a gem made by the Puppy community.

Ummm... I think it's enough for now. Just grab your copy, try it and help us make it even better :)

Latest version

Puppy Squeeze doesn't use the Lupu kernel, which means drivers compiled for Lupu won't work with it. However, applications from Quickpet should work just fine (get them through the Lucid repo) in most cases.

009 is a well-tested release that has lots of new stuff: a new kernel, many fixes and lots of goodies. By far the best Puppy Squeeze release. It's a solid release so if you don't want any surprises, this is the one for you.

Don't forget, Puppy IRC users get premium access to deltas once they're uploaded. Development rushes forward on IRC, because it allows us to communicate instantly. :wink:

New stuff:
- New kernel, the long-term support 2.6.32.24 with SMP and HyperThreading, rfkill, Bluetooth, wireless, laptop modules, hibernation support and CPU frequency scaling, for great stability low power usage.
- A working CUPS with a working PDF printer.
- An improved power management tray icon for laptops and netbooks, with support for the Eee PC Super Hybrid Engine.
- GNOME's Bluetooth wizard (needs testing).
- xchat (compiled on 008) replaces the web IRC client, automatically connects to the Puppy IRC channel.
- Added: gtkam (compiled on 008), pstopwatch (needed by ptimer), gexec (requested by a user).
- Seamonkey now has the SeaTab X extension (requested by DaveS, packaged by dejan555).
- gecko-mediaplayer, a Seamonkey plugin that enables video and audio streaming through mplayer.
- The muted ALSA channels problem is solved.
- Xfce-zen, a modified, lighter version of the Xfce-smooth GTK theme, ideal for small screens.
- The Squeeze logo by afgs.
- PowerTOP, similar to top and shows power usage, a MUST for laptops.
- Has Xorg_High integrated, like the original dpup by gposil; almost all users should install it anyway - this saves space in the save file but increases the ISO size by about 15 MB. Tell me what you think.

I intend to compile a 2.6.35.x kernel and make two editions for 010, one for almost all users (with the 2.6.32.x kernel, like Wary and Debian Squeeze) and another one with 2.6.35.x (like all major distros, for computers with more than 1 GPU, for computers with over 8 CPU cores and newish laptops).

I put lots of work and energy in the tweaked 2.6.32.24, I just need to take a look at all the new stuff between 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 so it should take long before we have a 2.6.35.x kernel too.

Downloads

Important: when you upgrade to a newer Puppy Squeeze version, make sure you use a clean save file. Also, specify your dpup version on every problem or bug you report, it's important if we want each new version to be more stable than the previous one.

Another important thing: check the MD5 of each file you download. Corrupt files mean non-booting puppies, kernel panics and some gray hair. I suggest you to download using wget so you can resume broken downloads.

ISO: dpup-009.iso
devx: dpup_devx_009.sfs
MD5: md5sums.txt

Deltas from 008 can be found in the deltas directory.

To use the deltas, download dpup-008.iso___dpup-009.iso.delta; go to Utility -> General Utilities -> xdelta something, drag dpup-008.iso to the first entry and the delta to the second. Press "GENERATE" and let it do whatever it does: the result is a shiny new 009 ISO.

Any suggestions/recommendations/opinions are highly appreciated and welcome. If you made some new ISO, feel free to upload it, I'm not the boss here, it's a community project. PETs are highly appreciated :D

If you replied and feel ignored, post it again, I'm really really sorry for this. Just post again or PM me. You know how it goes ... sometimes personal life bites Puppy and it's hard to follow long threads :wink:
Attachments
009-apps.png
(169.61 KiB) Downloaded 2141 times
008.png
(173.54 KiB) Downloaded 2057 times
Last edited by Iguleder on Sun 28 Nov 2010, 20:26, edited 49 times in total.

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

01micko wrote:

question 3.. Anything special/different/cutting edge you have in mind?

Got a list. Stay tuned Smile

Once I upload the ISO, I'll open a thread and put all my ideas there and we'll do some voting. Don't be afraid to show some creativity, we need your brainz here Razz
:lol:

OK, grabbing now... it sounds a bit like my attempt :wink:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Iguleder

#3 Post by Iguleder »

Don't get too emotionally-attached to it, 002 is on the way. I'm somewhere in the middle of 1download, this time all packages are in.

I think it's better if we work with deltas, some people have low download speeds or download limits. I'll upload deltas for 001->002, maybe I'll write some script similar to Bones that downloads the 001 ISO and applies all available deltas, could be a nice addition :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Some possible names included
done quite quickly in 'Squeeze' 001
It seems you wish to use Quickpet (good plan) and much of the infrastructure of Lucid
but using Debian sources?
and use dpup code if appropriate?
Attachments
dpup.jpg
(10.71 KiB) Downloaded 17916 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Iguleder

#5 Post by Iguleder »

I don't see the Debian packages as the top priority, it's just a Puppy that somehow found its way to the Debian repos :)

Need some name that has nothing to do with Debian, I think the best choice is the "<adjective> Puppy" template.

Of course, I can't decide on this, I think it's best to let each person propose some name and do some voting with 3-6 names.

Oh, and here's another useful PET, mrxvt.

EDIT:
Lobster wrote:It seems you wish to use Quickpet (good plan) and much of the infrastructure of Lucid
It's all up to you. I think it's better to wait until 002 and start all package work once we have a good working environment. Personally, I don't like Quickpet and I think it's bad to include it because Lupu is based on Ubuntu. It should be 99% compatible, but still there's a tiny risk. I know there is an interest in including a full browser, I supports this too.
Attachments
mrxvt.png
(15.93 KiB) Downloaded 15631 times
mrxvt-0.5.4.pet
(136.92 KiB) Downloaded 1507 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

I don't see the Debian packages as the top priority
:)
Many thanks

So it is not based on Dpup?
It is Debian based that does not see using Debian as a priority?

At the moment it is a puplet based on Lucid?
So why not provide debs that work in Lucid
and work with that?

Is it compiled with Woof?
You have provided a lot of info but I am now unsure of what the purpose or idea behind this is?

Perhaps someone can explain? :oops:
thanks guys 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Iguleder

#7 Post by Iguleder »

It's a Puppy built from Debian Squeeze, built for stability and generic usage, not specifically for netbooks, laptops, old hardware or something. The main goal is being a well-built Puppy with high quality packages built by the community with new ideas.

It is compatible with Lupu. It is built with Woof, using Debian Squeeze packages, the same way as dpup but not directly based on it. It is not based on Lupu, except the package selection, but that's going to change in 002. You're gonna be surprised.

The main difference between this and Lupu is simple: Lupu's Ubuntu compatibility is a goal, but here, Debian compatibility is a means for making it stable and rock-solid. That's the goal.

Btw, good news: the modified Woof makes a completely usable Puppy! The wallpaper and icons work perfectly, but mplayer has many missing libraries and doesn't work. Gnumeric and Abiword don't work too because goffice is missing, the Quirky Gnumeric doesn't come with goffice bundled as the Lupu PET, that's why. Quickpet is there but no desktop icon and Midori segfaults as in Lupu 5.1.2-pre.

At the moment I'm working on 002 with many of my ideas implemented, I want to try out some new things. It has xorg and CUPS from Debian, let's hope nothing breaks.

stu90

#8 Post by stu90 »

Sound good Iguleder - what about .pets will pets from Lupu work with dpup, things like the extra drivers Xorg-high etc ?

Was it dpup that had wbar as standard - i hate the clutter of desktop icons all over the screen - wbar is light weight and looks slick and modern - maybe something to include as default - another bug bear of mine with puppy is the volume icon, it looks like something from 1995.

Windows manager: Playdayz highlighted some problem with JWM of the top of my head running full screen with certain application like stellarium it also had a problem with pausing/full screen flash video in opera browser. IceWM is pretty light weigh and has some great themes and doesn't seem to have these problems.

Personally i like the browser choice and quickpet from Lupu it seems to be a feature that has been well received by users and reviewers alike.

Agree with Parcellite and LXtask.

A common question raised around the forum is how do i get rid of a bunch of puppy applications that are never used - so a review on what will/wont be included is a good idea, if a lot of people don't use a bunch of the default apps whats the point of including them? they could be replaced with things that are more relevant to todays needs like shinobar media converter for instance.

I like the idea of booster packs - maybe these could be extended to other areas, graphics pack - photography pack etc.

Willing to help if i can making .pets icons and wallpapers and stuff.

thanks.

Iguleder

#9 Post by Iguleder »

Debian Squeeze and Ubuntu Lucid Lynx have pretty much the same versions of packages, so they should be compatible. However, things like Xorg_High are risky, because they use different X packages.

Don't worry, I'll make a GLX PET/SFS. And regarding wbar, I had a plan to transplant the dpup wbar, but I think it requires many modifications.

EDIT: drivers should work, it uses the Lupu kernel :wink:
Last edited by Iguleder on Mon 13 Sep 2010, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

Stripe

#10 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Downloaded, and installed 001 clean frugal from a usb, connects to internet,
looking good, awaiting 002.

Cheers
Stripe

ttuuxxx

Re: Necro-Dpup 001-2 Development

#11 Post by ttuuxxx »

Iguleder wrote: Here's a list of ideas I had in mind. I'd like to discuss each idea and decide whether we want it implemented. If you have your ideas, share them.
1) Replace glipper with Parcellite, glipper doesn't detect the panel color and it's ancient. A symlink can solve all incompatibility issues between the two ... I hope. Yes please do, and maybe have it autostart
7) Update xarchiver (we have 0.2.8 while latest is 0.5). I think we could switch to a Debian package from the ancient PET used in all Woof builds. (the only reason I could see to do that is if it opens tar.bz2 quicker, if not its pretty equip the way it is. You'll just be gaining bloat. since its really stable and barry added tons of extra extensions to it, I like Xarchiver/Fileroller better, they both compliment each other for exotic extensions and they both open tar.bz2 files 50 times faster, like Firefox sources)
8) Get rid of ayttm and use menu entries for meebo and Freenode web IRC, with the chat icon starting the default browser on the web IRC client with autoconnect. Also, xchat could be used for IRC, dejan555 made a good PET for Lupu and we could borrow it. (I did that in 2.14X but some like a chatclient that is local and remembers settings for things like MSN, that's where ayttm wins, but I still went with Xchat, it was much smaller of a package.)
9) Replace mplayer and gnome-mplayer with xine and gxine, lighter and smaller. Read #16. (VLC takes more space but uses less resources and also you could use the added qt deps for alternative small QT apps that take less resources, Just an Idea, Gxine is always good anyways)
10) Replace Pmusic with DeaDBeef or LXmusic ... or any other small music player. (2.14x uses BMP, I have a forum link where I keep all the sources http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 68&t=47670)
11) Replace rxvt with mrxvt ('lil bit uglier, used in dpup) or lxterminal (GTK terminal, pulls in libvte).(mrxvt has issues, it doesn't like large paste of code, It also doesn't scroll up very high, vte based terminals don't fully work with puppy code, one thing which wouldn't work is the package manager, rxvt is really the best choice unless your going to edit a lot of scripts)
12) Replace Pprocess with LXTask. Pprocess hangs and it's heavy because it's a script. When you use Pprocess it's because your system is under heavy load and Pprocess doesn't help much. (please change asap Process is a resource hog and isn't as friendly as LxTask)
13) Replace the small Midori and Sylpheed with Seamonkey, just the browser and the mail client, Geany is good enough as an editor so the HTML editor is not needed. (why not Firefox and SimpleMail or Sylpheed/Claws?)
14) My most interesting idea: getting rid of duplicate applications, like Pcdripper or pCD. One good application is enough ... I mean, take a look at Asunder and Pcdripper. Asunder is both compiled (while Pcdripper is a script) and stable (it works well) .... Pcdripper is the exact opposite. (Asunder is very Good )
15) Replacing heavy scripted applications with compiled applications where possible and sensible, notably Pmusic, which is very slow. Some applications don't have optimal replacements that are functional, friendly and small, we'll have to live with that. (I agreeeeeee 1000000% as long as they are small :))

Any suggestions/recommendations/opinions are highly appreciated and welcome. If you made some new ISO, feel free to upload it, I'm not the boss here, it's a community project More will come :)ttuuxxx.
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Stripe

Re: Necro-Dpup 001-2 Development

#12 Post by Stripe »

[quote="ttuuxxx"][quote="Iguleder"]

9) Replace mplayer and gnome-mplayer with xine and gxine, lighter and smaller. Read #16. (VLC takes more space but uses less resources and also you could use the added qt deps for alternative small QT apps that take less resources, Just an Idea, Gxine is always good anyways)

From what I have seen VLC does take more space but is more effective on resources helping lower end hardware, and seems to provide better quality video than any of the other players mentioned. (mp4 flv & 3gp)
Just my personal opinion
Hope it helps
Stripe

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

The main goal is being a well-built Puppy with high quality packages built by the community with new ideas.
OK, thanks for that post, that makes much more sense (to my limited brain) and I can start a new wiki page, rather than using the Dpup one.

I will probably use the name Puppy 'Squeeze' as it has many positive Puppy connotations and graphic possibilities . . . unless there is a strong alt preference?

Have to cook now and make sure the Borg have not taken over the universe (I am such a trekkie) but will try and precis the ideas so we have an evolving idea of what can be Squeezed into Squeeze on the wiki.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Squeeze
:)

Puppy
Linux Squeezed
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

dejan555

#14 Post by dejan555 »

Greetings from new dpup build 8)

I guess I grabbed 001-2 since on this one wallpaper, icons, jwm,gtk themes work out of the box. :)
My sound recognized and 3g modem too.
Midori segfaults, but my seamonkey dpup build works nice.
I installed pets that ttuuxxx attached in other thread but tgz2pet gives error "tar: write error"
Pet is created anyway but I didn't test if it's healthy yet.
gnumeric and abiword indeed don't work because of libgoffice missing.
mplayer didn't work either but my vlc pets (1.0.5 lite no gui and vlc 1.1 qt) both worked. I will recompile all of those packages on this build though and compile a lightweight aqualung pet maybe.
Here are some of my suggestions, mostly apereance related for start. -

Keep mrxvt - it's cool to have tabbed terminal but maybe style it with .Xresources / .Xdefaults if possible to have black background as default. We can keep urxvt too.

Also here I attach tars for Chrome-Like GTK theme from previous dpup and pshutdown dialog with .jwmrc that changes default shutdown menu with single shutdown entry which launches pshutdown.
I also added .jwmrc-tray that has that ugly browser-chooser button disabled. I suggest also setting /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser not use quickpet default browser command but point to one that we have there by default.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to attach pets. :)
Attachments
dpup-pshutdown-and-jwmrc.tar.gz
(19.31 KiB) Downloaded 1518 times
Chrome-Like-GTK.tar.gz
(52.86 KiB) Downloaded 1542 times
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

dejan555

#15 Post by dejan555 »

Hey Iguleder, is Xorg from debian's repo? It seems to play nice with my Radeon 9250 I installed libgl1-mesa-dri_7.6-1_i386.deb from squeeze and loaded torus trooper for a try, I'll test with mupen64plus later if it passes that test I'm keeping this build :P
Now off to try nexuiz.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

James C

#16 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 001-2 on the old P3 test box.Graphics and internet correct and working on initial boot.........only unexpected problem is no sound.Other than things mentioned in earlier posts,everything else appears to be working.
A really solid beginning. :)

stu90

#17 Post by stu90 »

stu90

#18 Post by stu90 »

double post :oops:
Last edited by stu90 on Tue 14 Sep 2010, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

morgonzola

#19 Post by morgonzola »

this sounds like a great project through and through. i like the mission statement. nice touch. so i have little to no programming exp, but i would love to help with any grunt work or very light compiling (emphasis on very light i'm not that good at it yet) but yea don't hesitate to dump that stuff on me (if it fits in the criteria of course :wink: )

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#20 Post by Lobster »

morgonzola thanks :)

register with raffy here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/UsingThisWiki

then update this page as the project develops
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Squeeze

other grunts welcome to register to help out :wink:
many thanks :)

Not sure if Squeeze (uses Debian Squeeze binaries) is the
final name but we already have a logo . . .
which I can not read - but a great start
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)