Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
its-me-again

Re: problems

#301 Post by its-me-again »

Jim1911 wrote:[To resize personal save file in KDE4 with Kickoff Menu style, just type resize in search bar and it will show the resize program. With lxde or jwm you will find it in the utility section of the menu. As for the other problems you mention, they suggest a bad download or corrupt installation. Ext3 is the best choice as it is the safest version for a save file.
interesting that my kboard is now working properly.

Also after a long look I happened to randomly find that teh menu had more items than it was showing in teh screen. there was no indication like with arows to say there is more.. now i know its great.

now why lighthouse would fill up a 512 save file in 1 hr of setting up is beyond me. as i was trying to use sfs files. i only installed 2 .pets as no sfs for them :roll:.

with the sfs files i think they probably not downloaded properly or have become corrupted as you have said.
Last edited by its-me-again on Sun 29 Aug 2010, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

aracnachid

#302 Post by aracnachid »

KDE 4 is awesome..... I can only imagine how hard it was to get this desktop working as well as it does, It certainly is some fine work.... I did notice a small bug I don't know if it has been reported but when I set the desktop settings to "seperate activity for each desktop" and change the wallpapers of the seperate desktop activities and reboot KDE it only loads the one wallpaper on one of the desktop activities and leaves the others a default blue untill I open the desktop activity settings for the blank desktop and close it again.... Funny huh? Oh well no biggie!

Keep up the excellent work!

its-me-again

Compiz fusion setup.

#303 Post by its-me-again »

I have no idea when it comes to things Compiz

i cant find any information on how to setup compiz-fusion in lighthouse puppy, or any puppy. if you could point me to a good tutorial or something. i have found with lighthouse is it has no faq or many tutorials that i can find..

my computer specs
Acer Aspire 5520
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology. TL-60 2.00GHz
Hard Drive 320GB (replaced 160GB hard drive last year)
Memory 4GB installed (will show up as 3GB in Windows, linux, or mac 32bit versions)
Nvidia GeForce 7000M graphics card

i installed the latest
lighthouse 5.00 mariner D os (i boot cd, & use a 4gig ext3 save file on ext3 partition)
5-Mariner-5D_495.sfs
CompizFusion-0.7.9-1g.sfs

i also installed the NVIDIA-173.14.25-k2.6.33.2.pet it works fine.
i run with the default desktop manager / window manager whatever the default is. . .

all i find is menu.system>system status and config>compiz fusion icon. that brings up a icon on panel with settings. i set what i like but alt+tab still works normal window pop-up.

i need to know what to do to get things running.

don570

mhwaveedit 1.4.20

#304 Post by don570 »

I made a pet package of Mhwaveedit 1.4.20

using Lighthouse 4.43.

Code: Select all

./configure  --without-oss --with-default-mixerapp=alsamixer --without-portaudio --without-sdl --without-alsalib --without-oss --without-jack --without-check-casts
I've been using the past couple of days and it seems fine.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-7af9907f.html

tazoc

Re: Compiz fusion setup.

#305 Post by tazoc »

its-me-again wrote:I have no idea when it comes to things Compiz

i cant find any information on how to setup compiz-fusion in lighthouse puppy
See http://www.lhpup.org/c-f.htm, which is likely the same page C-F SFS was downloaded from. It sounds like you're in JWM or possibly IceWM, where C-F won't work. Try LXDE, KDE or Xfce from the Menu | Change Window Manager or Logout Panel.
its-me-again wrote:now why lighthouse would fill up a 512 save file in 1 hr of setting up is beyond me. as i was trying to use sfs files. i only installed 2 .pets as no sfs for them
Running with the extra add-ons can easily fill up a pupsave, especially with KDE4, proprietary display drivers and multiple web browsers. Click on the freespace/freememapplet icon in the system tray and choose Map of Storage Used to see what files are taking up the most space. Logging out and right back in will cleanup some temporary files. This is done by the 'pup-dip' script in /etc/rc.d/ and its activity is logged in /tmp/root/pup-dip.log. I routinely save or copy and symlink large files/directories out to a subdirectory of /mnt/home or another partitition to keep the pupsave fairly small, and so that the files are accessible from other installs.
Hope that helps,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Jim1911

#306 Post by Jim1911 »

Check out these LH Photos, good background images.

Barburo

#307 Post by Barburo »

Good photos Jim, some I'd not seen before. I have a file of Lighthouse pics and I'll be adding some of these.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

Barburo

#308 Post by Barburo »

TazOC,
A small bug. I use a wireless connection. I'm running LXDE - the Network connection indicator in the system tray is different from the one in Xfce. The one in xfce recognizes which connection is active and shows me wlan0. In LXDE I have to change it each time to wlan0. The default is eth0 and if I change it to wlan0 the change is not remembered on the next boot.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

nickdobrinich

Lighthouse Xscreensaver

#309 Post by nickdobrinich »

This isn't really a bug, more of a quirk.
Under Desktop > Desktop Settings > Xscreensaver Preferences
I get the Error: Couldn't write /home/spot/.xscreensaver
I have Only One Screen Saver set and it works correctly.
I am never user spot, always root.

However, one of my smarter users left his laptop running, it went into screensaver and then into Off.
Except it wasn't really off.
The screen was blank and when he moved the mouse, he got an inactive desktop screen (this was on an Acer laptop, I was able to duplicate on a Dell).
So he power button offed the machine.
Oops, my mistake for never telling him about Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
The correct way out of the condition is Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and then xwin.

So it might be better to set the default Display Power Management on the Advanced tab to unchecked to avoid this condition for laptops.
I was able to edit /home/spot/.xscreensaver (what an odd location!)
and set dpmsEnabled to False
but not via the GUI.

tazoc

#310 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:TazOC,
A small bug. I use a wireless connection. I'm running LXDE - the Network connection indicator in the system tray is different from the one in Xfce. The one in xfce recognizes which connection is active and shows me wlan0. In LXDE I have to change it each time to wlan0. The default is eth0 and if I change it to wlan0 the change is not remembered on the next boot.
B.
Hi Barburo,
Yes, I think I'll replace that lxpanel network plug-in with the standard network_tray launched from /usr/bin/blinky-refresh (in the script /usr/sbin/lxpanel_menu_refresh) for the next release. Network_tray has several features that the lxpanel plug-in misses, including auto-detect of the current active connection.
nickdobrinich wrote:This isn't really a bug, more of a quirk.
Under Desktop > Desktop Settings > Xscreensaver Preferences
I get the Error: Couldn't write /home/spot/.xscreensaver
I have Only One Screen Saver set and it works correctly.
I am never user spot, always root.
it might be better to set the default Display Power Management on the Advanced tab to unchecked to avoid this condition for laptops.
I was able to edit /home/spot/.xscreensaver (what an odd location!)
and set dpmsEnabled to False
but not via the GUI.
You can get the Xscreensaver preferences working again by installing this pet, disregarding the 5.00C update1 advice. That fix was supposed to be in Voyager 5D, but isn't, and will be in the next release. Xscreensaver will not run as root, so I set it up to run as user spot instead--that's why the configuration file is in /home/spot. I will also change the default dpmsEnabled to False.
Thanks,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

nickdobrinich

Xscreensaver fixed

#311 Post by nickdobrinich »

Yep, that worked, thanks.
Now I am going to go through and read all of the messages in this thread.

its-me-again

SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.5.pet

#312 Post by its-me-again »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 462#448462

i am wondering if his app is included in lighthouse that is all. can the devs check it out.

it is a sfs mounting ap that will mount sfs files as default appictions.

it links the sfs to the file system rather than mounting it. you dont have to manually add it to the boot loader which is better

its-me-again

slack-e17.sfs

#313 Post by its-me-again »

Hi i found this and thought you might like to test it out on lighthouse. i would live to here if it can still us compiz effects etc.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 494#448494

tazoc

Re: slack-e17.sfs, SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.5.pet

#314 Post by tazoc »

its-me-again wrote:Hi i found this and thought you might like to test it out on lighthouse. i would live to here if it can still us compiz effects etc.

Hi and thanks for the links and suggestions. e17 (Enlightenment) has its own compositing system and a very good one, so I don't think C-F would be compatible or desirable as e17's effects alone are stunning. When I tried elive full distro a while back I found it difficult to configure, and downloads were not free. I have not had a chance to try e17 with Puppy or Lighthouse though.

I'm reading the thread on SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.5 and will test it in the future. As I have not tried it with LHP I don't recommend it at this point. I am very busy at the moment with the next release of LHP5.00 F. Basically SFS-TCZ_Linker mounts SFS files, and symlinks their contents into the pupsave. This means it is not a full layering system as such.

With Lighthouse the order (or priority) that SFS files are layered is critical and this is controlled in part by the naming scheme--alphabetical order with numerals first. The other part is that files in the pupsave and main file always have priority over those in SFS layers below. SFS-TCZ_Linker may be a good idea if you absolutely must run liveCD only (no rebooting, no session saving.) But running a standard frugal with pupsave, the Linker will add symlinks to the pupsave layer only--and later remove them, even if similarly named files or links were later added via PPM, Gslapt or other means. This is likely to adversely affect reliability and stability. With a full install any files removed would be gone forever, making it even riskier.

So at least for now, if you are saving your session at shutdown I still recommend a frugal install and BootManager for adding SFS files.
-TazOC

tazoc

Bibletime-2.7.2b.sfs and Opera-10.61-6430.sfs for testing

#315 Post by tazoc »

Bibletime-2.7.2b.sfs and Opera-10.61-6430.sfs are available for testing.

The previous BibleTime SFS was missing libsqlite and this Opera is the latest version, with touchtheSky desktop weather widget. touchtheSky works best in Xfce or KDE but not so well in JWM. It needs Opera 10.50+, yet runs even with the browser closed.
-TazOC

its-me-again

Re: slack-e17.sfs, SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.5.pet

#316 Post by its-me-again »

tazoc wrote:
its-me-again wrote:Hi i found this and thought you might like to test it out on lighthouse. i would live to here if it can still us compiz effects etc.

Hi and thanks for the links and suggestions. e17 (Enlightenment) has its own compositing system and a very good one, so I don't think C-F would be compatible or desirable as e17's effects alone are stunning. When I tried elive full distro a while back I found it difficult to configure, and downloads were not free. I have not had a chance to try e17 with Puppy or Lighthouse though.
Macpup opera 2 uses enlightnment its a 431 baised os try it out and see what you think.

gcmartin

LightHouse Mariner LiveDVD/LiveCD and SFSs

#317 Post by gcmartin »

Theres a PM to @tazoc from the SFS Utility author.

Tommylee567

#318 Post by Tommylee567 »

dropped in to say that it is super this time. running kde 4.4 and some how figured out by the help here to boot using the intel driver.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

can i get some sfs modules somewhere?

Tim

gcmartin

LH Mariner 5D and how SFSs can be handled on LiveDVD

#319 Post by gcmartin »

A helper wrote:If you need to use the SFS files straight away w/o rebooting at all (no session saved) I don't have a satisfactory solution. The Lighthouse add-ons are designed and tested only with BootManager and rebooting from a frugal install. The reason is that this is the only way to properly layer the SFS files, each one below the pupsave and main file in a specific order of priority. In LiveCD/DVD mode there are only two layers, the pup_rw (read-write) and the main file/DVD (read-only). ... -
On the topic in the above qnote, please help me understand what's wrong with this logic. I know the Mariner ISO places its SFSs in the root of the LIveDVD. I also know that Puppy BootManager Utility expects to find its SFSs in /mnt/home on the running system. Let say I:
  1. Open you Mariner ISO
  2. Leave the base system SFS, BUT move all other SFSs into /mnt/home folder
  3. Burn this "new" ISO as a Multi-Session.
  4. Boot this "new" ISO
  5. Run BootManager and select the SFSs I want
  6. When complete, Reboot the system allowing the system to '"save" the session
3 questions that come to mind are:
  • When the system reboots shouldn't I see it load the save session before copying the main?
  • Isn't this relatively the same as what Frugal does?
  • What am I missing?
A helper further wrote:If you ...
Another option is to use a standard frugal install, saving your session and adding all the desired add-ons with BootManager and rebooting. Then use Remaster Puppy LiveCD in the System Menu... -
Do you know if there is some way to copy Frugal to a LiveDVD so that it supports LH with the "installed" SFSs?

CLAM01

SFS files on boot CD

#320 Post by CLAM01 »

gcmartin,

What you describe doing to get sfs files in a live cd session sounds near to what I do: What I do is install LHP Mariner, set up features the way I want them, then add sfs files to /mnt/home, then add those sfs files I want to my system using >setup>wizardwizard>configure startup. I add Mariner and KDE there first, reboot and set them up, then add more, because I have had problems adding all at once. Then I remaster a DVD, not CD, because my remaster comes to about a gigabyte. The sfs files I use regularly, like opera, open office, along with additional pets I add, are incorporated in the remaster dvd. The dvd can be run as a live session (I have a swap file and enough ram so the dvd loads all into ram) with or without a pup-save file.

If you want to run like this for security you want to close your dvd when you make it (if it is rewriteable) and turn off lhp's mount all partitions feature (>filesystem on wbar >/mnt >automount.desktop, then uncheck the automount box), to not show anyone who looks in everything in your system. Then make your own directories on a disk partition, or a usb-stick partition and remember to mount that and save to it whatever you want to save from your live/ram session before you shut down. You can also frugal install from the dvd, with or without a pup-save. Without a pup-save you can make your separate save directories in /mmt/home, or in another partition. If you do a frugal install, before you go on the web with it make an md5 of your spup.sfs, and keep it there with the sfs in /mnt/home, so you can quick and easy check your pup.sfs file for integrity from time to time. If someone breaks in and adds something to it the check will fail and you can delete the whole file, then copy the unchageable one on your dvd to your /mnt/home. The replacement should load and run just like the replaced one. Puppy's main security problem is that anything that is added by anyone during a session that gets put anywhere but /home/spot or a temp location in /root gets saved to your pup-save. It then gets installed or re-added or re-started with your next start-up and can run. If you encrypt your pup-save, the addenda just get encrypted, too. Your way around is to save out what you want and obliterate the contents of your pup-save (Not your pup-save, itself: go to /mnt/home in a live session, or from another puppy, open your pup-save, which will mount it, click drag to box in everything, then delete-quiet. Then go back to /mnt/home and click the pup-save (now empty) again to unmount it. When you boot next clean content will be restored to the empty directory and on you can go.

You can also make a remaster DVD of a stock LHP and add sfs files to the disk. Instead of just burning the disk from /tmp, where it is made, select the option to save the remaster build to disk. Then you can open the build directory and add mariner and KDE and additional sfs files to the build, the way Mariner and KDE sfs's are on a stock LHP mariner CD. If you add more than those two, though, I think they might not always load in correct sequence.

What I do, instead, for an all-on-one-disk set-up, is first burn the iso leaving the disk open. Then I put all the sfs files and pets I want to add in two directories and then burn those on the disk after the iso. Then I close the session. To use the sfs files on the disk, frugal install the iso, then open the dvd, go to the sfs and pet files directories and copy from those to the frugal install /mnt/home. Note that if you copy the directories, not just the sfs files in them, to /mnt/home they will be down a layer in their directories and won't be found.

The above works for me. I think it should work for everyone.