DotPups

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#121 Post by Lobster »

:-) I have the power!

Deleted the first post - one confusion gone :)

Well the instructions are very clear - so I followed them. I even rebooted rather than just reset JWM which all did nothing.

JWM has been troublesome in the past and seems OK now. So the fact that NOTHING happened is not surprising. JWM did lock up. Then I pressed alt + x and it stayed locked. So I pressed ctrl + alt + backspace and when I pressed startx JWM it seemed to be trying to load the WM (weird graphics would flash in memory but the screen would return to the prompt without loading) So my feeling is it was almost there and would work on another machine.

So now I was stuck in the prompt #
by typing startx fvwm95 was able to return to a WM

Just thought I would give it a go . . .
I am using the Puppy Official 1.0.2

I think others will have better luck
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 28 Jun 2005, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

thoughtjourney

#122 Post by thoughtjourney »

Do you know what version of JWM Barry was using in 1.02? The news page states the JWM was upgraded to 0.23 in May, after 1.02 was released.

From the theme-guy's website:

"The only requirement is that you use JWM v0.22.0 "
in the beginning was the Logos

http://thoughtjourney.aus.cc

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#123 Post by Lobster »

Dunno

I am using the version with 1.0.2
Perhaps some kind person would email the JWM theme guy to ask about upgrades? (not me I am too lazy)

;)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

thoughtjourney

#124 Post by thoughtjourney »

ok, I have a couple of screenshots. I am one of the lucky people with a dodgy chipset, so the graphics are not what you'd call great. Please don't judge the themes on my monitor! Someone with a normal setup may be able to provide better shots
Attachments
matrixThemeShot.png
Hack the Matrix theme (mine, wip)
(19.59 KiB) Downloaded 3898 times
imac-greynShot.png
IMac Greyn Theme
(65.04 KiB) Downloaded 4012 times
in the beginning was the Logos

http://thoughtjourney.aus.cc

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#125 Post by GuestToo »

Icewm standard themes Unleashed package

These are the Icewm themes that came with the sources for Icewm 1.2.21

after clicking the dotpup, you should find the Unleashed package in /root/my-documents
(a dotpup checks itself using md5sums, so you should be sure the Unleashed package downloaded ok)
Attachments
icewm-standard-themes.pup
Icewm standard themes Unleashed package
(31.08 KiB) Downloaded 1579 times

rarsa

tight VNC viewer 1.2.9

#126 Post by rarsa »

*** EDIT JULY 12, 2005 ***
The most recent versions of the viewer and server are located under this thread

Both are fully implemented and ready for prime time testing.

I am removing the attachment to this post so you don't download an old version.

Finally I got to the task of creating my first DotPup and here it is for you to test.

tight VNC viewer is part of the tightvnc suite applications. I decided to split the viewer and the server in two different packages. I still haven't tried the server in puppy, but I couldn't wait to post the viewer.

Why tight VNC if we already have "TkVNC VNC Client"?
- It supports secured servers. It will ask for the password.
- It can run in full screen
- It's a quite fast native binary
- It supports a large variety of parameters
- It provides automatic scrolling for when you are connecting to a computer that has higher resolution.
- It required just the binary and one extra library. Making it 244K to download and just 543K installed

It installs to /root/my-applications/tightvnc. Should it install to /bin/local ? What is the preferred location?

I am including the original README file but I did not know how to install the 'man' file. Is it even possible? I know that the man in puppy is a script to launch dilo.

I create a symlink in /usr/local/bin.

To start the viewer just type vncviewer
It will prompt for the server address. use the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:p format where xxx is the IP address and p is the screen number. e.g. 192.168.1.100:1 (it goes to port 5901 of server 192.168.1.100)

The next step for this DotPup is to add it to the WindowManagers menus.

I will start working on the server. Although I know that puppy is not meant to be used as a server, I've been reading some people asking for it. Hopwfully it will not require too many dependencies.

Please try it and send me your comments.

p.d. Thanks to Guestoo for providing the DotPup template. It made this task a breeze.[/b]
Last edited by rarsa on Tue 12 Jul 2005, 06:45, edited 4 times in total.

Bruce B

#127 Post by Bruce B »

rarsa, it looks to me like it works, but I have no server computer to test it against.

> I am including the original README file but I did not know how to install the 'man' file. Is it even possible? I know that the man in puppy is a script to launch dilo.

You can install the man file but it doesn't do any good, because the man program is not installed in Puppy.

If you think the man page has valuable information not available with --help or some other way, you can convert the man page to text or html.

Also you can check at: http://www.tldp.org/docs.html for already converted pages.

> The next step for this DotPup is to add it to the WindowManagers menus.

I can hardly wait to see how you do this one.

As far as file locations, we should put them in
/root/my-applications/bin

/root/my-applications/lib

... and other directories there if you can, and if the app works. The reason why is because Type 1 installation Puppy upgrades will do some serious file deletion in /usr directories, but I don't know exactly which ones.

For Type 2 upgrades, there is no such thing as an upgrade, as it always takes a fresh install.

Meaning to say: The directory to avoid is /usr even though it seems the logical and correct place to put the files. As far as I know the upgrade deletions occur only in /usr

Basically, the user will have to reinstall the dotpup after upgrades.

BTW - A lot of my dotpups use /usr.

Anyway, in future dotpups I'll try and make them fit in my-applications.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#128 Post by GuestToo »

you can convert man pages to txt or html
then if you type man tightvnc Puppy will look in /usr/share/doc/ for tightvnc.txt or tightvnc.html and open it in Puppy's text editor or browser

to convert from a man file to a txt file, i wrote a small script (this does not run in Puppy ... it runs on an os that has the real man program):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
man ./$1 | col -b > $1.txt
if i have a man page called vnc.1, i can type man2txt vnc.1 and it will create a txt file called vnc.1.txt

you can use sed to edit the window manager's menus ... an alternative is to create a rox appdir wrapper (an icon that can be dragged to the desktop)

you can register dotpup packages with PupGet so Puppy will leave your files alone ... i haven't done that so far, because i haven't needed to ... if you put your files somewhere like my-application/bin, there is no problem with PupGet anyway

if you put a script in my-application/bin that runs tightvnc, and symlink your files to /usr, you can have the script check and reinstall the symlinks everytime it runs ... i do that sometimes, so the program will still work even if a Puppy upgrade deletes my symlinks

Bruce B

#129 Post by Bruce B »

GuestToo, thanks for the tips. I was going to more work to convert the man pages.

drj

Mrxvt multi-tabbed X terminal emulator

#130 Post by drj »

I just made my first *pup GuestToo's DotPup Template. Visual-Dot-Pup failed to include files

Here are words from mrxvt site ( http://materm.sourceforge.net/ ):

Mrxvt (previously named as materm) is a lightweight and powerful multi-tabbed X terminal emulator based on the popular rxvt and aterm. It implements many useful features seen in some modern X terminal emulators, like gnome-terminal and konsole, but keep to be lightweight and independent from the GNOME and KDE desktop environment. The following are the major features of mrxvt (* are new features compared with rxvt, + are enhanced features compared with rxvt):
* multi-tab support
* runtime dynamic tab title
* session support for each tab
* input broadcasting for all tabs
* user configurable keyboard shortcuts
* translucent window support
. pseudo-transparent background per terminal
* pseudo-transparent scrollbar/menubar/tabbar
* background color tinting
* color text shadow
* off-focus background fading
+ NeXT/rxvt/xterm/SGI/plain style scrollbar
+ user supplied background image per terminal (jpeg/png/xpm)
* user supplied background image for scrollbar/menubar/tabbar (jpeg/png/xpm)
. only depends on X, no GTK, no Qt
. small and fast
* freetype font (xft)
+ XIM and multi-languages (Chinese/Korea/Japanese) suppport
. multiple platforms
. utmp/wtmp/lastlog logging
Attachments
mrxvt-0.3.13.pup
mrxvt, a tabbed rxvt replacement
(133.84 KiB) Downloaded 1529 times
Last edited by drj on Thu 30 Jun 2005, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

papaschtroumpf

#131 Post by papaschtroumpf »

can each of these options be left out at compile time?
I'm really addicted to the tabs form using Konsole in KDE, but I'm not interested in the eye-candy and compiling them out could make the package smaller.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

drj

#132 Post by drj »

don't know. I grabbed it from VectorLinux with additional library

I love those tabs, Firefox, konsole. mrxvt is about 200KB larger than rxvt, could be used anywhere in place of rxvt, even opions. I am using it myself.
papaschtroumpf wrote:can each of these options be left out at compile time?
I'm really addicted to the tabs form using Konsole in KDE, but I'm not interested in the eye-candy and compiling them out could make the package smaller.

papaschtroumpf

#133 Post by papaschtroumpf »

From mrxvt --help:

Mrxvt v0.3.13
Options: XPM,Jpeg,PNG,transparent,fade,tint,textshadow,utmp,menubar,XIM,
multichar_languages,scrollbars=rxvt+NeXT+xterm+sgi+plain,xft,thai,Greek,
strings,frills,linespace,24bit,selectionscrolling,smart-resize,256colour,
cursorBlink,pointerBlank,session management,.Xdefaults

The list of options tells you which options where selected for the ./configure step of the build by the packager. Not a bad idea, I wish more executables would tell you how they were built.

This is not a terrible set of options (for example they left the debug symbols out). Frills, XPM,Jpeg,PNG,transparent,fade,tint,textshadow, are all eye-candy related to allow fancy background. It would be interesting to see how much the program shrinks when leaving these out.

not sure about the need for Thai language and greek keyboard either, does puppy support those languages?

Interestingly enough the 0.3 series doesn't appear on their web site in the list of "stable" versions.

All in all it's not a bad mix of options for functionnality vs size, especially if you want to take advantage of the eye-candy for the background.

papaschtroumpf

#134 Post by papaschtroumpf »

using upx on the executable should cut in down by half or so

Bruce B

#135 Post by Bruce B »

drj, mrxvt is SUPER COOL!

I really like the tabs. Thanks. Attached is an Icon that I think will work really nice on the desktop.
Attachments
mrxvt.png
Icon for mrxvt
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 4571 times

Bruce B

Spellchecker for Abiword: abispell-en-AU.pup

#136 Post by Bruce B »

This package adds the spell checker files to AbiWord.

Enjoy!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#137 Post by GuestToo »

Icewm 1.2.21

i was going to make an Icewm 1.2.21 Unleashed package, and probably a dotpup package too

i have not finished it yet (testing, debugging, configuring, making design decisions, etc etc etc, take most of time in making a package)

here are the basic binaries that i've been experimenting with, if someone wants them

i can edit this post later, and upload a new dotpup here with the same name

this is not an "official" finished package

Bruce B

#138 Post by Bruce B »

I had so much confidence in you that I just overwrote the old binaries.

Then I logged out and restarted X. It loaded in a little less than 2 seconds. But then again I have a slow computer. :)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#139 Post by GuestToo »

your confidence may be misplaced ... all i know is that it's been running ok on my machine, so far anyway

i commented out what seemed to be a debug message that shouldn't be there (it was filling up xerrs.txt)

there are probably compile options that don't need to be enabled ... especially for an Unleashed package ... i didn't care much when it was installed on the hard drive

i think it should work ok with 1.2.20's config files

anyway, post if you find any bugs

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#140 Post by Flash »

Let me know when it's ready for the index, OK?