Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Roy

#361 Post by Roy »

jemimah,

I looked at the "6 best personal finance apps for Linux" http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... ?artc_pg=1 and see a couple of possible alternatives to homebank...

Grisbi supports English and French languages. It is a GTK app.
Grisbi is a personnal accounting application running under GNU/Linux and Windows, released under the GPL licence.

Our aim is to provide you with the most simple and intuitive software for basic use, and still very powerful if you spend a little time on the setup.

Grisbi can manage multiple accounts, currencies and users. It manages third party, expenditure and receipt categories, as well as budgetary lines, financial years, and other informations that makes it quite adapted for associations (except those that require double entry accounting). The exhaustive list of Grisbi's functionalities can be found in the User's guide, paragraph 1.2.
http://www.grisbi.org/

Buddi supports several different languages and is available in several formats, including Debian, Slackware, and a generic Linux (as well as Java).
Buddi is a personal finance and budgeting program, aimed at those who have little or no financial background. In making this software, I have attempted to make things as simple as possible, while still retaining enough functions to satisfy most home users.

Buddi is released as Open Source Software. You can download it for free, with no disabled features and no time limit.... Buddi will run on almost any computer which has a Java virtual machine installed. This can include Windows, Macintosh OS X, Linux, and many other operating systems.
http://buddi.digitalcave.ca/

Not that there is anything wrong with Homebank, but I was looking for something simple for a non-accountant to use. What do you think?

-Roy

maxpro4u

#362 Post by maxpro4u »

I can't seem to find the sound wizard
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

GaRailroader

Lenovo S10e

#363 Post by GaRailroader »

Jemimah,

I've unblacklisted wl and immediately after it is showing in the left pane. I then go to the add modules section and wl is not available. When I return to the 'blacklist' module wl is not showing in the left or right pane. I don't think bc43 is loading. (at least I am not seeing it on any of the lists) Any idea what I am doing wrong? I've recreated a frugal Fluppy USB 3 times now because wl keeps disappearing.

Thanks,

Patrick J

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#364 Post by Lobster »

jemimah

Am puppy-hopping (like distro-hopping but within the Puppy collective)
at the moment and used 005 for a few hours.

No incidents and much joy.
Just worked - though a few days use is required

I really appreciate Fluppy

May try getting it running a pentium II
based Hell Inspiron 3500
(well OK it is a Dell Inspiron but it needs an exorcism)
That Un-Inspiron does not want to play
sound and is pretending it has no modem . . .
. . . and also has an intermittently accessible hard drive

Anyway . . . just to show some appreciation of Fluppy - good job :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jemimah

#365 Post by jemimah »

maxpro4u wrote:I can't seem to find the sound wizard
The sound card wizard was removed from the menu in Puppeee because it's never needed for EeePCs, and running it often breaks things.

You can run it from the command line. The name is 'alsawizard'.

I could put it back into Fluppy menu. Is it actually helpful on any hardware with a current kernel?

jemimah

Re: Lenovo S10e

#366 Post by jemimah »

GaRailroader wrote:Jemimah,

I've unblacklisted wl and immediately after it is showing in the left pane. I then go to the add modules section and wl is not available. When I return to the 'blacklist' module wl is not showing in the left or right pane. I don't think bc43 is loading. (at least I am not seeing it on any of the lists) Any idea what I am doing wrong? I've recreated a frugal Fluppy USB 3 times now because wl keeps disappearing.

Thanks,

Patrick J
You might need to reboot after unblacklisting and before whitelisting. If the GUI fails, you can edit /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG by hand.

jemimah

#367 Post by jemimah »

Roy wrote:jemimah,

I looked at the "6 best personal finance apps for Linux" http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... ?artc_pg=1 and see a couple of possible alternatives to homebank...

Grisbi supports English and French languages. It is a GTK app.
Grisbi is a personnal accounting application running under GNU/Linux and Windows, released under the GPL licence.

Our aim is to provide you with the most simple and intuitive software for basic use, and still very powerful if you spend a little time on the setup.

Grisbi can manage multiple accounts, currencies and users. It manages third party, expenditure and receipt categories, as well as budgetary lines, financial years, and other informations that makes it quite adapted for associations (except those that require double entry accounting). The exhaustive list of Grisbi's functionalities can be found in the User's guide, paragraph 1.2.
http://www.grisbi.org/

Buddi supports several different languages and is available in several formats, including Debian, Slackware, and a generic Linux (as well as Java).
Buddi is a personal finance and budgeting program, aimed at those who have little or no financial background. In making this software, I have attempted to make things as simple as possible, while still retaining enough functions to satisfy most home users.

Buddi is released as Open Source Software. You can download it for free, with no disabled features and no time limit.... Buddi will run on almost any computer which has a Java virtual machine installed. This can include Windows, Macintosh OS X, Linux, and many other operating systems.
http://buddi.digitalcave.ca/

Not that there is anything wrong with Homebank, but I was looking for something simple for a non-accountant to use. What do you think?

-Roy
Java is too big to include in the base, however Grisbi seems at least as nice as HomeBank and is the right size. Test it out and let me know what you think. Should it go in the base or just a separate pet?

rjbrewer

Re: Lenovo S10e

#368 Post by rjbrewer »

GaRailroader wrote:Jemimah,

Thanks,

Patrick J
In addition to the blacklisting and adding; in the (give preference to
module) box:

Change the line that says (bcm43xx:ssb) to read (ssb:bcm43xx).

Click the "okay" button after changing any module so it will be
retained after reboot.
Last edited by rjbrewer on Fri 10 Sep 2010, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

mill0001

#369 Post by mill0001 »

@Jemimah,
Hi, This will probably sound like a really dumb question to ask,but I'm doing a manual frugal install of Fruppy 5 to my laptop (Dell Latitude D620) and I opened up ISO and there is file zf005332.sfs. I use Lin Win install method with grldr on C drive and menulist, I know where to put vmlinuz and initrc, but where does that zf file go? Does in go in boot folder with vmlinuz and initrc or on target drive with Fruppy 5.sfs? Thanks for any help you can give. Lee.

jemimah

#370 Post by jemimah »

It goes together with the flp-005.sfs.

mill0001

#371 Post by mill0001 »

Thanks Mucho, J. If God's in Heaven and all's right with the world, my next post will be from fluppy 005.

mill0001

#372 Post by mill0001 »

@ Jemimah
Thanks again, Looking and working great so far. Love the icewm theme. Never used Chrome browser before, so I'm not sure about that one. Posted from Fluppy-005.

maxpro4u

#373 Post by maxpro4u »

jemimah wrote:
maxpro4u wrote:I can't seem to find the sound wizard
The sound card wizard was removed from the menu in Puppeee because it's never needed for EeePCs, and running it often breaks things.

You can run it from the command line. The name is 'alsawizard'.

I could put it back into Fluppy menu. Is it actually helpful on any hardware with a current kernel?
no-running it did not help-still no sound,or sound icon on the tray.

added these lines to rd.local(which made the sound work on 4.3.1 and 5.1.1)-still no go.
rmmod snd-es18xx
sleep 1
modprobe snd-es18xx isapnp=0 irq=5 dma1=1
sleep 1
modprobe snd-es18xx isapnp=0 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=5

oh one other thing-after installing Opera 10.61, the icon for opera in the tray is a black square instead of the red O.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

Stripe

#374 Post by Stripe »

Hi Maxpro4u

Try running in terminal:
"less /proc/asound/modules" (without the "")
This will list the available sound devices

Please let me know what it says

It might be recognising something else as a sound device

Let me know how you get on

Cheers
Stripe

Stripe

#375 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Trying to configure vlc for Fluppy, no matter which version of the source code I try when I try to "make" it says that there are missing /vlc/ files (have the devx and kernel sfs installed) and have downloaded the full source code.

Could a pet from another puppy be returned to source and compiled from there? (as I want it to be compiled for Fluppy005 and not something else)

Any other ideas??

Stripe

jemimah

#376 Post by jemimah »

I was able to get the latest vlc to compile. I'll post an sfs when it's done processing.

sullysat

#377 Post by sullysat »

jemimah wrote:GaRailRoader, did you unblacklist wl? Then add wl to the Add List.

If the b43 module is loading, add b43:wl to the preflist instead.
Hey jemimah,

Sorry to bother you with this, but I'm having a heck of a time getting the right information.

As I understand it, the broadcom 4312 drivers are supported in the wl driver (or is it the b43 driver), but one or the other is loading/not loading when it should/shouldn't.

My research in the forum leads me to believe that the newer pups (lupu and fluppy being the ones I'm most concerned with) contain the right drivers and I've seen other folks say blacklist or whitelist, etc.

What I haven't seen is HOW to do that. Yeah, noob question, I know, but I've never had to try this before, so any help ANYone can offer would be really great. Thanks.

Most of my Puppy use is rebuilding old systems, but my Dell mini 10 uses this dang driver and so far, thank goodness for the special 4 series puplet that jrb did specifically for this wireless adapter. I use that distro a LOT on that machine, but would like to know how to tweak others to work as well.

I love what I see in Fluppy and will be loading it on my eeepc 701 as soon as I get it back from my daughter.

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

jemimah

#378 Post by jemimah »

sullysat wrote:
jemimah wrote:GaRailRoader, did you unblacklist wl? Then add wl to the Add List.

If the b43 module is loading, add b43:wl to the preflist instead.
Hey jemimah,

Sorry to bother you with this, but I'm having a heck of a time getting the right information.

As I understand it, the broadcom 4312 drivers are supported in the wl driver (or is it the b43 driver), but one or the other is loading/not loading when it should/shouldn't.

My research in the forum leads me to believe that the newer pups (lupu and fluppy being the ones I'm most concerned with) contain the right drivers and I've seen other folks say blacklist or whitelist, etc.

What I haven't seen is HOW to do that. Yeah, noob question, I know, but I've never had to try this before, so any help ANYone can offer would be really great. Thanks.

Most of my Puppy use is rebuilding old systems, but my Dell mini 10 uses this dang driver and so far, thank goodness for the special 4 series puplet that jrb did specifically for this wireless adapter. I use that distro a LOT on that machine, but would like to know how to tweak others to work as well.

I love what I see in Fluppy and will be loading it on my eeepc 701 as soon as I get it back from my daughter.

Sully
You configure the modules using the BootManager on the System menu.

I really recommend running the real Puppeee on the Eee. It's smaller, faster, and you get better hardware support.

sullysat

#379 Post by sullysat »

thanks jemimah! I'll try both!
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

jemimah

#380 Post by jemimah »

I was able to get the size of PuTTY down significantly by statically compiling libkrb5. So here is the latest PuTTY which I will add back into the next versions of Puppeee and Fluppy.