Why do Puppies switch bios clock ?

Booting, installing, newbie
svgt

Why do Puppies switch bios clock ?

#1 Post by svgt »

Hello,

In all my Puppies the clock in bios is switched two hours back. In Puppy 511 I choose my time zone to GMT+1 for Berlin and local time. I don't want the system time changed.

Svgt

babaguy

I noticed that too...!

#2 Post by babaguy »

Hi svgt,

I just managed to get the CD of LuPu 5.01 burned and running on my Toshiba Equium laptop a few days back. I am using LuPu thru the CD, not as installed on the hard drive.

I too noticed that the clock had been re-set - weird !

But I simply went into the clock/locality settings on the "Setup" menu and re-set them - I may have been asked to re-start X (can't remember) - but once done manually, Puppy has remembered and this hasn't been a problem since...Hope this helps !
"Real happiness lies in making others happy." - Meher Baba

tasmod

#3 Post by tasmod »

Set your timezone to Europe/Berlin not GMT.

Scroll up from the GMT's to find it in the setting window.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Linux reads the RTC clock on boot. After boot it keeps time on its
own software clocks.

So, Linux doesn't modify the RTC clock, unless . . .

. . . a programmer(s) writes a routine to change it, and this is quite
common.

When I first read the complaint, I was about to reply, "Puppy
doesn't change the RTC."

Then I thought, well actually, the best I could assert is, "Puppy
didn't (in earlier versions) change the RTC."

Now based on two similar complaints, I wonder if maybe it does in
the newer releases.

~

babaguy

Still a problem...

#5 Post by babaguy »

TOSHIBA EQUIUM
System *says* 2 x AMD Athlon (tm)64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55

(But I *KNOW* I had to have the motherboard replaced and I believe the new processor is an Intel Celeron - The Celeron processor shows up on some glimpses into the Hardware, but not others, which still read out that I have a dual core AMD Athlon TK-55)...

(LuPu 5.01 running on CD - this hardware readout is from the system Info displayed by LuPu...)

Hello Puppy Meisters !

The widget clock on the desktop is still not setting properly, and this is probably because whoever has programmed it has not allowed for BRITISH SUMMER TIME - (I'm based in Scotland...) When I set it to GMT it does not put the hour forward and there doesn't seem to be a setting for BST in the clock settings in the SETUP menu....I have had to re-set it each time I open up Lucid Puppy and the configuration hasn't been saving in the pup-save file...

If anyone has an idea how to make the clock (the desktop clock is the one I am most concerned about !) display the cortrect time on boot-up, I'd be most appreciative...Thanks!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Bruce B wrote:Linux reads the RTC clock on boot. After boot it keeps time on its
own software clocks.

So, Linux doesn't modify the RTC clock, unless . . .

. . . a programmer(s) writes a routine to change it, and this is quite
common.

When I first read the complaint, I was about to reply, "Puppy
doesn't change the RTC."

Then I thought, well actually, the best I could assert is, "Puppy
didn't (in earlier versions) change the RTC."

Now based on two similar complaints, I wonder if maybe it does in
the newer releases.

~
In latest Woof, there is a script for changing RTC created by pizzasgood, but it has to be specifically chosen. So what is being reported is probably a Lucid Puppy thing -- I think that they have some different code in that area.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

postfs1

#7 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

CatDude

Re: Still a problem...

#8 Post by CatDude »

Hi
babaguy wrote:The widget clock on the desktop is still not setting properly, and this is probably because whoever has programmed it has not allowed for BRITISH SUMMER TIME - (I'm based in Scotland...) When I set it to GMT it does not put the hour forward and there doesn't seem to be a setting for BST in the clock settings in the SETUP menu....I have had to re-set it each time I open up Lucid Puppy and the configuration hasn't been saving in the pup-save file...

If anyone has an idea how to make the clock (the desktop clock is the one I am most concerned about !) display the cortrect time on boot-up, I'd be most appreciative...Thanks!
This is how i set up Lupu,
and i do not have a problem with the clocks (even after several reboots.)

Note:
The two images Graphics-2.jpg & Graphics-3.jpg do not actually represent my monitor,
simply because the screenshots were taken in QEMU. :wink: (actual testing was done in a proper frugal install)

Also, notice in the Clocks.jpg image,
that i edited the clock in the JWM taskbar to display seconds just for accurate comparison of the time.

Hope this helps
CatDude
Attachments
Welcome-screen.jpg
Select the: Classic Configuration Experience
(72.7 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
Select-keyboard.jpg
(32.43 KiB) Downloaded 643 times
Select-timezone.jpg
Select: Europe/London
(26.68 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Set_hardware-clock.jpg
I left this on the default: Local
(18.04 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
Graphics-1.jpg
(47.5 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
Graphics-2.jpg
(40 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
Graphics-3.jpg
(40.2 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
Clocks.jpg
Both clock are exactly the same (time wise)
(12.84 KiB) Downloaded 591 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

DaveS

#9 Post by DaveS »

I set up Puppy the exact same way CatDude, and the clocks are fine too.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

babaguy

Now Boys, A Joke's a joke...!

#10 Post by babaguy »

Cat Dude & Dave S. -

Thanks for your supportive observations. I set up my LuPu *EXACTLY* as you've screen-shot yours, Cat Dude - when I first set it up.

What I've found since is that every time I open it up, the clock on the desktop is NOT CORRECT - It's an hour off (same as svgt's 2 hours for Berlin, except it's only one hour!) I have re- set the location a few times (and anyway the location always reads correctly - it's already been set! Just the time is off...), but this does not change the desktop widget clock....

So I go to the DESKTOP - Set Clock option, and then manually set the hour to the correct local time - the widget clock then switches over without the screen gyrating too much...

What I found this afternoon when I had to do some work without Puppy, I switched the Ubuntu machine on and the clock on IT was now an hour AHEAD ! ! ! This would have been because in trying to set the clock in Puppy, I asked the computer's internal clock to match the widget clock - but the BIOS clock then thinks it needs to be an hour AHEAD of where it ought to be!

As Barry K. has observed, there *is* some coding involved that may be the culprit...Not sure what to do about it except to keep on re-setting the clock until British Summer Time ends in a few weeks' time!

Now on to my 'No Sound In LuPu 5.10' thread.........